PDA

View Full Version : FFVII or FFX-2

redxiiii
01-28-2005, 05:13 PM
Which one is better ?
(by the way if their is a genaral ff forum please move it there I didn`t really look :p )
Personally my faves VII

I Don't Need A Name
01-28-2005, 05:16 PM
X-2 (u should have done a poll) this is biased cos its on a FF VII forum

redxiiii
01-28-2005, 05:18 PM
Then put it on a genaral archive

I Don't Need A Name
01-28-2005, 05:20 PM
y dont u

Shoden
01-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Final Fantasy 7 is probably the greatest ff in story and characters the music wasnt all that great but still good and the graphics except FMVs sucked

Teek
01-28-2005, 07:49 PM
lol i liek VIII!

m4tt
01-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Hmmm.... close or move close or move... I'll just move this to General FF.

Sepho
01-28-2005, 08:59 PM
Out of the choices listed, VII. :|

Sepho mumbles something about "the same ol' stuff.....", and walks away

Shoden
01-28-2005, 10:12 PM
VII is my new fav Final Fantasy and im only nearing disc 1 end

Yuffie514
01-29-2005, 12:25 AM
FFX-2 may be the only direct sequel in the FF series :cool: , but FFVII is a legend :up: :up: .

RedCydranth
01-29-2005, 03:20 PM
Um.. am I the only one noticing the extreme difference here. X-2 Is NOT known for being the greatest FF ever. Its not even in most peoples top 5. 7 is perpetually in peoples top 3 FF games. FFVII destroys X-2 in every way. A comparable poll would be:

Which car would you want to be seen driving?

Lamborghini (http://www.motordesktop.com/wallpaper/supercars/Lamborghini%20Gallardo%20Yellow%20-%201024x768.jpg) or This (http://www.teamtoilet.com/dumb/accord1.jpg)

The second car is decent for getting around but the Laborghini is a sweeter ride. You get my comparison?

Better poll, which is better, X or IX. VII or VI.

Sepho
01-29-2005, 04:28 PM
Better poll, which is better, X or IX. VII or VI.

For the record, IX and VI, respectively.

Oh, that was hypothetical - my bad.

Trumpet Thief
01-29-2005, 04:40 PM
chaos: From the "revampled" poll with VII against VI, I would definetly VI, but from the actual poll, FFVII. If it weren't so overrated, I would probably like it more. :p

I Don't Need A Name
01-29-2005, 06:23 PM
VII is AWFUL! the graphics, the music and the (so called amazin storyline which changes 5 times) ARE CRAP!

Trumpet Thief
01-29-2005, 06:29 PM
VII is AWFUL! the graphics, the music and the (so called amazin storyline which changes 5 times) ARE CRAP!

chaos: It might be overrated, but it is still pretty good. Now you have put me into Limit Break. Time to bash FFX-2 :D

Rubedo: As always said, graphics aren't always everything. Many games are fantastic, and it doesn't have anything to do with the great animation or anything, but the great gameplay and fun that the game brings to you. The music was great, lay off it. Nobuo wasn't given too much time to create the track and he still did a tremendous job.

Trowa: How did the storyline change? Just because more things were unveiled at the end doesn't mean a thing. It was meant for some mystery, believe it or not. Even though it is VERY OVERRATED, it is indeed worthy of the title "Final Fantasy".

Albedo: *Laughs maniacally* FFX-2 at times was fun, but also unnecessary at times. There were far too many abilities for just three characters. I couldn't stand Yuna's change either- from Summoner to Gunner.

chaos: Something unrelevant, but also still annoying- the commercial. Charlies Angels on the PS2 IMO.

RedCydranth
01-29-2005, 06:48 PM
Final-andy. By the sounds of it you are the kind of player who won't touch games like Crono Trigger and Secret of Mana. Just because games don't have sexy hot chicks and super graphics doesn't mean they suck.

Its fair to say that your opinion is outnumbered, but you are entitled to it nonetheless. But FF7 in mine and 98% of everyone who has fully played the game's opinion you are wrong.

Trumpet Thief
01-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Rubedo: Agreed.

I Don't Need A Name
01-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Even though it is VERY OVERRATED, it is indeed worthy of the title "Final Fantasy".

i agree it is overated and it deserves the name!

Final-andy. By the sounds of it you are the kind of player who won't touch games like Crono Trigger and Secret of Mana. Just because games don't have sexy hot chicks and super graphics doesn't mean they suck.
i do like games without sexy hot chicks and super graphics cos i like VI its just i hate the game

Trumpet Thief
01-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Rubedo:...I didn't really get that. :)

Sepho
01-29-2005, 07:12 PM
I more or less agree with everything TT said.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's one of the most overrated games of all time (Games like Halo and its sequel are more worthy of that title, if you ask me), but perhaps in its genre, and it's definitely the most overrated game in the series.

However, the term "overrated" in my experience, hardly ever implies the game with said title is anywhere near horrible in overall quality. FF7 is a good game that I've played through many, many times, but it doesn't even compare with the likes of FF6 (to give an example from the same series), or Xenogears, or Chrono Trigger.

In regards to FFX-2 (note I'm of the opinion that FFX is also applicable in this situation), and how it compares to the titles I've mentioned... well, after sitting here for nearly a minute trying to find a good way to describe the comparison, I'd say that Muhammad Ali versus Gabby Jay from Super-Punchout would be a fairer fight.

Trumpet Thief
01-29-2005, 07:16 PM
I more or less agree with everything TT said.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's one of the most overrated games of all time (Games like Halo and its sequel are more worthy of that title, if you ask me), but perhaps in its genre, and it's definitely the most overrated game in the series.

However, the term "overrated" in my experience, hardly ever implies the game with said title is anywhere near horrible in overall quality. FF7 is a good game that I've played through many, many times, but it doesn't even compare with the likes of FF6 (to give an example from the same series), or Xenogears, or Chrono Trigger.

In regards to FFX-2 (note I'm of the opinion that FFX is also applicable in this situation), and how it compares to the titles I've mentioned... well, after sitting here for nearly a minute trying to find a good way to describe the comparison, I'd say that Muhammad Ali versus Gabby Jay from Super-Punchout would be a fairer fight.

chaos: By overrated, not in every single aspect of the game. Although, for some qualities that the other FF games have as well, people normally only give it praise in FFVII.

Rubedo: Basically, I completely agree with you. FFVII is definetly a marvelous game, whether what everyone else says, it shouldn't change my own opinion. :)

I Don't Need A Name
01-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Rubedo:...I didn't really get that. :)
im just sayin that ff VII is overated but it should still be classed as a ff!
also ff VI hasnt got any sexy chicks and the graphics are crap(its 2D)

Sepho
01-29-2005, 07:32 PM
chaos: By overrated, not in every single aspect of the game. Although, for some qualities that the other FF games have as well, people normally only give it praise in FFVII.

That's incredibly accurate, unfortunately. I've mentioned a few times around these forums in various threads that the basic plot and character stereotypes in FF7 are a complete rip-off of those same aspects in FF6. I've even said a few times that FF7 is a recycled version of FF6, and I realise now that this is an exaggeration, but I have a .txt file on my hardrive, that I need to dig around for, that illustrates these similarities so well that I experienced an "epiphone" emotion upon finishing the read (it was written by a member of a forum I used to frequent and still visit occassionally - I don't know where the guy is now). That's just one (albeit, a big one) example.

To be fair to FFX-2, I admittedly had fun developing my characters using the new job system (it made me think of FF5) for a short time, but when the novelty of it wore off (and it didn't take long), you're just left with a laughable story and some ridiculous gameplay elements are only evidence to the fact that Square is in fact a corporate entity whose goal is to make money. Platforming - What? I don't blame a company for trying to introduce elements into a series to keep it from getting stale, but it's obvious there was little effort put into ensuring these gameplay features worked well.

I also feel obligated to mention that I may have had developed a small bias towards FFX-2 when initially playing it as a result of the sour taste left in my mouth by FFX. However, I honestly don't think it was really a factor - I was looking forward to X-2 just as much as the majority of other games in the series before playing it/them, and I kept an open-mind during my entire playthrough. The fact is, it's a mediocre RPG, the only credible features it has being its novelty. Everything else is second-rate.

I Don't Need A Name
01-29-2005, 07:38 PM
FF VI is 1000 times beter than ffVI (and so is X-2)

Sepho
01-29-2005, 07:55 PM
FF VI is 1000 times beter than ffVI (and so is X-2)

I think you meant to say "FF VI is 1000 times better than FFVII (and so is X-2)"

If that's the case, then to repeat myself, I agree with the first part (although 1000 is quite a number), but disagree with the latter part.

I respect your opinion as one that's different than mine, and I know how incredibly subjective the matter of taste in video games can be (believe me).

We're really getting nowhere beyond stating our opinons, though. I agree to disagree with you, but we're no longer contributing to the topic at hand. I've given my opinion, and I feel I've done an adequate job at expressing the aspects I like and dislike about the multiple games mentioned in this thread (with the exception of FFX - which I mentioned individually), and I wouldn't mind hearing your supporting reasons for your statements. I plan on going through X-2 at least once again, at some point in the future (so I can get 100%), and I want to know what you thought was so enjoyable about it so perhaps I can have a more fun time.

I Don't Need A Name
01-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I think you meant to say "FF VI is 1000 times better than FFVII (and so is X-2)"

If that's the case, then to repeat myself, I agree with the first part (although 1000 is quite a number), but disagree with the latter part.

I respect your opinion as one that's different than mine, and I know how incredibly subjective the matter of taste in video games can be (believe me).

We're really getting nowhere beyond stating our opinons, though. I agree to disagree with you, but we're no longer contributing to the topic at hand. I've given my opinion, and I feel I've done an adequate job at expressing the aspects I like and dislike about the multiple games mentioned in this thread (with the exception of FFX - which I mentioned individually), and I wouldn't mind hearing your supporting reasons for your statements. I plan on going through X-2 at least once again, at some point in the future (so I can get 100%), and I want to know what you thought was so enjoyable about it so perhaps I can have a more fun time.
i agree that people have different opinions. i liked X-2 cos (even though i admit it was rushed) it was a succesful sequel (but they shouldnt do any more) the story line (in my opinion) was good.

Sepho
01-29-2005, 08:06 PM
I'll ponder on that. In the meantime, I'm gonna go play some FF8.

Ryth
01-29-2005, 08:18 PM
I like FFX-2 but it isn't as good as most FF games especially the magic experience of FFVII. FFVII all the way.

RedCydranth
01-29-2005, 10:54 PM
Yeah.. FF7 is way better than FFX-2. There really isn't any neccessary elements in RPGs that X-2 excels over 7 in.

The only thing that X-2 wins is a graphics battle, but that is not neccassary for a games success. FF6 was by far one of the best games of all time. Look at those graphics.

As far as 7 being overrated, it is to some extent. But the fact that FF7 brought RPGs back from the dead, into the 3D world and had such an in depth story means it is deservant of its high praise. Because of that game RPGs were no longer for just nerds. Prior to that game anyone who played FF games and such were seen as dorks. Then FF7 hit and everyone played it. Jocks, preps, young and old. It showed the world that RPGs are a legitimate moneymaker. Before that they were a cult favorite style of video game. The leaders of the video gmae world relied on games such as Mario, Crash Bandicoot and Sonic the Hedgehog to headline profits. FF7 is to the RPG as Madden was to Football games or Doom was for FPS games. Without each of them their genre would be years behind.

Trumpet Thief
01-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Rubedo: Now, discarding the fact that it is somewhat overrated, I like FFVII. A great game IMO.

chaos: FFX-2 had some flaws, but it was very fun.

Rubedo: But I still preferred FFVI over all of them. :D

strawberryman
01-30-2005, 12:01 AM
X-2 was probably my least favorite game in the whole series. It's just way too much girly type stuff. PLUS... They got rid of the victory thing for some stupid wannabe-funk thing!!! That's just plain wrong! It had it's moments, but it's still (in my opinion) the worst in the series.

J.D
01-30-2005, 04:59 AM
Lets Be Honest
X-2 Is Only Good For Girls And Single Men ^_^

Sepho
01-30-2005, 03:32 PM
I actually like X-2's battle system, to be honest. It's essentially the same ATB system used in every FF since FFIV (except FFX and Tactics), but the speed and the addition of timing party members' attacks to increase damage made it more enjoyable.

RedCydranth
01-30-2005, 04:54 PM
I enjoyed the lack of weapons in FFX-2. It makes some sense. When you gave Vincent a new gun, how would one bullet do more damage over the other? How is changing a microphone color going to effect Cait Sith's attack? What possibly could you put on Tifa's knuckes to make her do more damage, beyond spikes and brass, not much. How is attaching "Atomic Scissors" ever going to increas attack over a machine gun?

FFX-2's weapons made sense. But other than that FFVII rules over X-2.

redxiiii
01-30-2005, 09:20 PM
Hey guys I started this thread and all though many of you may think it`s irellavent i just wanted to prove to final-andy that VII is better the x-2

seporoth
01-30-2005, 09:35 PM
VII is way better then x-2,VII was years ahead of its time x-2 was good but nowhere near VII

Sepho
01-31-2005, 02:45 AM
Hey guys I started this thread and all though many of you may think it`s irellavent i just wanted to prove to final-andy that VII is better the x-2

You're never going to prove anything. It is literally impossible to prove that one's opinion is wrong. If one said, "I believe Hitler was awesome for mass-murdering Jews", that person would be of that opinion, and neither right or wrong (regardless of the obvious stupidity of this example person)

Final-andy likes X-2 better than VII; that's not going to change. It shouldn't matter to anyone else which he prefers. He'll play the one that provides him with the most enjoyment.