PDA

View Full Version : which Weapon symbolises Final Fantasy

Gunblades
01-30-2005, 10:52 AM
ignore my bad spelling lol. Of all the weapons which makes you think FF when you see it or if you were to show a pal.

personally i think the Buster sword.

cal113
01-30-2005, 11:36 AM
no the buster sword symbolises ffvii more so than the entire series - personally i think it would be the mage staff

Kawaii Ryűkishi
01-30-2005, 11:54 AM
I guess just a normal-sized European sword, like the one in the logo for the American version of FFIV.

http://www.eyesonff.com/ff4/images/ff4logo.jpg

Ultima Shadow
01-30-2005, 12:10 PM
The harp.

Edgar
01-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Spoony bard.

A rod.

Zante
01-30-2005, 02:19 PM
None of the non-FF-specific weapons (gunblade/buster sword) reminds me of FF.

RedCydranth
01-30-2005, 04:42 PM
I agree with Kawaii, the FF6 Sword on the cover.

But as a unique FF sword I think the Blood Sword which has appeared in many games is a decent one to represent the series. Or perhaps the Excalibur(but thats stolen from King Arthur not a FF original).

The Sword is most definitely the weapon in my eyes that represents any medival style RPG that most FF games are. Only 8 really is in a 'modern' world and they still use the medival technology in weapons. Come on, a whip? No one uses whips anymore.

If I were to showcase FF to a newgie, I'd show them FF6 because its essentially your standard FF game, in its best form. Lerge group of pwople together to fight one bad guy. They learn magic and use various weapons.

Here's a question you can answer if you like. Which character most personifies Final Fantasy?

Del Murder
01-30-2005, 05:50 PM
nail bat

Flamethrower
01-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Of all the weapons which makes you think FF when you see it or if you were to show a pal.

If it can be a general name or group of weapons, then Ultima Weapon. If you mean just ONE weapon, then Squall's Revolver Gunblade.

Which character most personifies Final Fantasy?

Mog or Boko.

rubah
01-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Boco!

as for weapon, I think a prime example might be the Brotherhood. yay for swords with glowing stuff pulsing through the metal.

ChaosCalibur
01-30-2005, 06:54 PM
I'd say a Ragnarok/Excalibur swords remind me of various FF logos

Alexander
01-30-2005, 07:12 PM
I say Blood Sword. Or Ultima Weapon.

And the character? MOG! Or Choco/Boco XD

DJZen
01-30-2005, 07:13 PM
Swordchucks, duh.

Captain Maxx Power
01-30-2005, 07:43 PM
Ultima weapon. Usually a natty colour, always availble to the main character, nearly always pointy in some way.

.:the chocobo master:.
01-31-2005, 02:56 AM
Because FF8 was the first FF i'd played, I would have to say squall's gunblade. It'd be the one i'd show to friends too cause it looks so damn cool! Characters? Either Mog or of course Boco.

ljkkjlcm9
01-31-2005, 03:24 AM
Character would have to be Boco or Mog, I mean Chocobos and Moogles are Final Fantasy exclusive.

As for the Weapon, there are actually none that appear in every game, just try to name one, I'd say the closest is Excalibur, and that's King Arthur.

Ragnarok maybe, but of course that's a wicked cool spell in Golden Sun, and a ship in FFVII, then I'd say masamune, but not in FFVIII.
Damn FFVIII, screws it all up! HAHAHA

I can't say a weapon, cause there really isn't one that's exclusive to FF and in basically every game, but if I had to choose I'd say Ragnarok.

THE JACKEL

Azure Chrysanthemum
01-31-2005, 06:48 AM
I agree with the sword used in the title screens of the older Final Fantasies.

turnitup5000db
01-31-2005, 11:01 AM
The only weapon that really personifies each and every final fantasy is... ANTI GRAVITY HAIR!!!

FF - Fighters hair.
FFII - Frionels hair, Leonhearts hair in the battle screen.
FFIII- Fighters Hair yet again.
FFIV - Cecils hair in the battle screen
FFV - Bartz/Butz's hair
FFVI - Gau's hair
FFVII - NEED YOU ASK?
FFVIII - Zells hair
FFIX - Zidanes Hair to some extent.
FFX - Tidus's hair to some extent.

And some of those cuts, like the cut of you know who *CoughcloudCough* were TRULY dangerous weapons.

Sefie1999AD
01-31-2005, 11:22 AM
Lulu's Mog from FFX. Kupo! :mog:

Gunblades
01-31-2005, 05:35 PM
interesting, but i still think the Bustersword personifies final fantasy as a brand

RedCydranth
01-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Only because the most famous game in the FF series is 7. But to sum up an entire series with a weapon found in one game is like saying the Ocarina of Time best symbolizes the entire Zelda series. Sure its important and definitely sybolizes the N64 game, but his green suit might do a bit better for symbolizing the series. Or the Triforce.

You want something that is in as many of the games as possible to symbolize a series.

Trumpet Thief
01-31-2005, 05:55 PM
chaos: A rod seems to fit for me.

ljkkjlcm9
01-31-2005, 06:00 PM
Only because the most famous game in the FF series is 7. But to sum up an entire series with a weapon found in one game is like saying the Ocarina of Time best symbolizes the entire Zelda series. Sure its important and definitely sybolizes the N64 game, but his green suit might do a bit better for symbolizing the series. Or the Triforce.

You want something that is in as many of the games as possible to symbolize a series.

I agree completely, and the symbol of Zelda would definitely be the tri-force...

I think I may change my position, as we all know every FF game has that shadow type design behind the title, those symbolize FF games and each individually, so I choose that... ie the meteor for VII, and the Magitek suit for VI and the couple for VIII

Those things, know what i mean?

THE JACKEL

RedCydranth
01-31-2005, 06:04 PM
Jackel, I'd agree but its supposed to be an item/weapon from the game itself, not the design on the box. Its like saying "the way I'd best describe Final Fantasy is... Final Fantasy." Although yours varies from game to game. But so far I'd say your idea is top shelf one of the best yet. but the weapon clause kinda puts a black mark...

Gunblades
01-31-2005, 06:36 PM
RedCydranth - actualy my reasoning is it's simplistic design thats bold and easily regognizable, as is the character that weilded it. It's not uncommon for one thing such as a weapon to become a well known symbol of something, the Arthurian legands are massive and detailed, yet Excalibur - a sword, is one of the most common symbols representing it. when you want to sum up comics which is MASSIVE with millions of characters, Batman sums up comicbooks generally, or the bat symbol.

If someone wants to discuss logos etc, why not start a thread for it, this is after all about the weapon :)

feioncastor
02-01-2005, 09:33 PM
FFX - Tidus's hair to some extent.
Tidus stole his hair style from Meg Ryan.

http://www.kidzworld.com/img/upload/article/a586i1_FFX-Head_w.jpg
http://www.saranair.com/images/others/hair3.jpg

That scoundrel!

Feion

Gunblades
02-02-2005, 11:02 AM
maybe tifas chest lol

Yuffie514
02-02-2005, 05:35 PM
it's not really a weapon, but i say the crystals :D .

RedCydranth
02-04-2005, 08:09 PM
RedCydranth - actualy my reasoning is it's simplistic design thats bold and easily regognizable, as is the character that weilded it. It's not uncommon for one thing such as a weapon to become a well known symbol of something, the Arthurian legands are massive and detailed, yet Excalibur - a sword, is one of the most common symbols representing it. when you want to sum up comics which is MASSIVE with millions of characters, Batman sums up comicbooks generally, or the bat symbol.

Yes, but that is ONE story. So the Excalibur works. if it were a multitude of stories and the Excalibur which was only in one of the many stories was still heralded the icon for that saga, then you have a point.

As far as comics go, Batman is NOT the symbol for all comic books. Nor his symbol. his symbol can sum up all the entire batman series, but that symbol means nothing to 98% of Marvel (that 2 percent being the few times Marvel and DC did crossovers). Also, aside from JLA, batman has nothing to do with the Superman stories, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Green Arrow etc. Anyone who is a true comic junky will say that your statement of Batman summing up all that is comics is false. How can you say that the Bat logo can sum up The Watchmen, or The Authority? You can't.

Especially with all the success the Batman movies have made, seeing the bat symbol can mean any of the movies, the cartoons, or the comics. And ONLY the Batman comics. When I see the bat symbol the first thing out of my head is Batman, then Joker, then Gotham. Not even DC comics, let alone Marvel and all the other companies out there.

So, no. Cloud's sword can NOT be THE sword to represent all that is FF.

DocFrance
02-04-2005, 09:41 PM
I think it's obvious - the MASMUNE. Or the Masamune, for you new-school types.

RedCydranth
02-05-2005, 04:02 AM
The masamune isn't solely from final fantasy. Its a japanese sword of legend. But I agree, the Masamune is a decent weapon since it is in the majoriy of all Final Fantasies. But so is Excalibur.

Masamuneˇ1600
03-04-2005, 08:35 AM
I think it's obvious - the MASMUNE. Or the Masamune, for you new-school types.

It has to be the Masamune. Else my name is in vain!

FFI: most powerful weapon

FFII: most powerful weapon

FFIII: most powerful weapon of its kind

FFIV: Edge's best weapon

FFV: a Sealed Weapon

FFVI: okay, for some reason the Masamune doesn't appear in VI. You can find the Murasame, though. And I'm sure Leo will come back to life with Masamune in one hand and Gamma Sword in the other...or not (for those totally unaware, just making fun of a couple common rumors)

FFVII: Sephiroth's awesome sword, which is almost as ubiquitous as the Buster Sword among FF fans

FFVIII: One of Gilgamesh's four swords, it signified an all-attacking technique

FFIX: one of Zidane's double-swords, though surprisingly not a particularly great one. In terms of damage, probably should have been switched with The Tower

FFX: Auron's Celestial Weapon

FFT: A katana generally associated with Marquis Elmdor and the Genji equipment

FFTA: A katana, and a good one at that

And since Chrono Trigger was included in FF Chronicles, I'll work in the Chrono series as well.

CT: Not a katana, actually. But after certain events, it's Frog's best sword

CC: A major thematic element, the sword is evil for most of the game. However, take down Dario and Serge's Sea Swallow becomes the Mastermune (allow me to sigh...because, yes, that spelling is correct)

Gunblades
03-04-2005, 07:41 PM
gee Redcydranth, your good at moaning. But the fact remains it's all personall oppinion. I am 23 years old and i have been collecting and involved with comics since i was four or somthing, in my oppinion, when you bring up the topic of comic books or superheros the average person will say batman or superman, these days spiderman. I dont care if someones a diehard sandman enthusiast or they will go no further than 2000AD, im talking about the everyman. You carnt tell me im wrong because it's my oppinion so please respect that.

Undecided
03-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Omega Weapon!

But really, I don't feel there is any weapon who can truly represent the whole FF series. If I were going to choose one symbol to represent the whole series I would rather pick a chocobo than any weapon.

Dormos
03-05-2005, 07:08 AM
I'd say the... axe and sword and rod or whatever the heck was on the first FF box.

Because it's all medieval and fantasy and whatnot.

Rase
03-05-2005, 09:09 AM
A sword, any sword, maybe the one from Kawaii's post.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-05-2005, 09:43 AM
FFVI: okay, for some reason the Masamune doesn't appear in VI.Actually, it does. Ted Woolsey just changed its name to "Aura" when he translated the game.
CT: Not a katana, actually. But after certain events, it's Frog's best sword

CC: A major thematic element, the sword is evil for most of the game. However, take down Dario and Serge's Sea Swallow becomes the Mastermune (allow me to sigh...because, yes, that spelling is correct)To be fair, Masamune is not in CT or CC; at least, it wasn't originally. Woolsey changed the name of the Grand Lion to Masamune, and then the localization staff of CC changed it again in order to be consistent with Woolsey's change. (Yes, this is the same guy who took the term "Masamune" OUT of FFVI.) For the record, the "Mastermune" was originally called the Grand Dream.

Gunblades
03-05-2005, 06:01 PM
alot of peopel who dont know anythign about FF know about Lulu's softtoys.

Dormos
03-06-2005, 03:55 AM
How the devil do you know all of that, Kawaii? O.o;;

Gunblades
03-06-2005, 06:19 PM
enough research to make him a dork lol (joking)

Harvest Moon
03-14-2005, 02:59 AM
It has to be the masamune, it's meationed like.. every game as God's weapon or whatever..

Either that or the chaosblade, simply cause i like the name..

Gunblades
03-14-2005, 10:38 AM
nice siggy