PDA

View Full Version : The Imminent Death of the NHL Season

Strider
01-31-2005, 07:37 AM
It's amazing that it hasn't happened yet, considering the amount of games that've been canceled and all that. Hell, there isn't even an All-Star Game this season, since that would've been next week.

But it leads to the question at hand: Who misses hockey as much as I do? Are you doing anything to try and get your fix? If they do play any part of the season, will you even bother watching it on TV at this point?

Dingo Jellybean
01-31-2005, 08:01 AM
It's amazing that it hasn't happened yet, considering the amount of games that've been canceled and all that. Hell, there isn't even an All-Star Game this season, since that would've been next week.

But it leads to the question at hand: Who misses hockey as much as I do? Are you doing anything to try and get your fix? If they do play any part of the season, will you even bother watching it on TV at this point?

I don't think many people really care about hockey, and as you guessed it...I certainly don't care about it as much as you do. Even when the NBA was on labor strike, I just watched for my own life and didn't care if they were going to come back or not. I don't think anyone should care so much for a sport that they shun everything else. I love basketball, don't get me wrong, but it would never affect my life much(if at all) if all of the sudden the NBA shut down.

I hope the NHL dies because of this. Both sides make so much money and they're both so bone-headed about it that when(not if) the NHL dies, they'll get their just desserts.

Rye
01-31-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm not into hockey that much, but I heard what happened, and I think the players are being stupid. They make enough money as it is. What's say... a million dollars less? They're just letting down their fans.

lordblazer
01-31-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't think many people really care about hockey, and as you guessed it...I certainly don't care about it as much as you do. Even when the NBA was on labor strike, I just watched for my own life and didn't care if they were going to come back or not. I don't think anyone should care so much for a sport that they shun everything else. I love basketball, don't get me wrong, but it would never affect my life much(if at all) if all of the sudden the NBA shut down.

I hope the NHL dies because of this. Both sides make so much money and they're both so bone-headed about it that when(not if) the NHL dies, they'll get their just desserts.
Hwey your looking at a hockey player right here.They canceled the whole season but we don't get much hockey here in oklahoma anyway so it sucks all over.but yeah i agree no one should shun all other sports.

Zell's Fists of Fury
01-31-2005, 03:52 PM
The fact that they were cancelling games didn't even occur to me until a couple weeks ago. Shows how much I care.

m4tt
01-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Huh, is it supposed to be hockey season? I don't like hockey at all.

The Captain
01-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Hockey for me usually filled the void between the Super Bowl and the beginning of the baseball season/ NBA playoffs. I try to watch each sport equally and get into it, even if it's not a sport I've played myself.

The NHL problem is much deeper than the players. The owners want a hard cap, the players don't, and since both are being so stubborn that they'd rather watch the sport die, I have little sympathy for either. Sports has become less about the pure joy of the game and more and more about the hard, management of funds, less about skill, more about revenue, and as a reulst, I'm beginning to lose my interest as a fan. I'll continue to play sports, since I love playing them, but as a fan, I'm beginning to question my devotion.

Take care all.

Kirobaito
01-31-2005, 06:12 PM
I like hockey (Go Stars!), but, yeah, I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. But it does feel a little weird, because right now the only sport I can watch is the Mavericks, and I need more games than every 2-3 days. Hockey normally fills those voided days until the baseball season comes along, and they play every day. Go Arena Football? ;_;

The Captain
01-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Question:

With more than half the season lost already, is it even worth it to try and save this year?

Let's say someone an agreement is reached in the next few days. Would there be a training camp, or would everyone just jump right in to games? I'd warrant many stadiums would have to drastically reschedule events because now they have to reconfigure for ice hockey again. Also, would there still be playoffs?

Honestly, I think they should forget about this season and really, truly commit themselves to fixing the fundemental problems the league has so that once it starts up again, perhaps next year, it can gain steam instead of worry about another potential strike.

Take care all.

Del Murder
02-01-2005, 01:33 AM
Hockey's on strike?

JunotDe
02-01-2005, 02:07 AM
I miss it alot :( :( :(

Dingo Jellybean
02-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Okay, 755 games are cancelled. That leaves about 30 games per team to play. After this week, the NHL will have more playoff games than regular season games potentially.

The sooner this ends the better. Honestly, the season should have been cancelled a month ago. Imagine, someone goes 20-10 to win their division in a post-82 game schedule. Right. There's 4 rounds of playoffs, potentially 28 games to play for each team. If somehow the NHL decides to hold the games after next week, 1 or 2 teams might play 28 playoff games and 26 regular season games. Honestly, it's better if they cancel everything. Cancel the talks, and quit being crybabies.

According to an ESPN poll, not one state cared for the NHL. 70% of all voters didn't care for the NHL. Honestly...I'm surprised they even left the door open for games to be played now.