PDA

View Full Version : What is so good about Apple Macs?

Doc Sark
02-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Really.

I used one today in a recording studio and it really does like to be different. I guess it's because I'm used to a P.C but in every recording studio, every newspaper office and a lot of graphic design offices I know of in the U.K, they use these dread machines. I find the layout overcomplicated and the thing difficult to navigate which is a real pain in the backside because on my degree course if you want to do any kind of visual or audio editing you have to use the bloody things.

Don't get me wrong, once you get used to it, these machines can produce some high quality work but it does require a lot of time and effort getting yourself acquainted with the system. I don't claim to be an expert in computers at all so I have no idea whether your average Mac out performs your average P.C but I do find your average windows based P.C system has a much better interface and is more user friendly, especially if you're technologically naive like myself.

Really my question is, do you like Apple Mac's? Are they user friendly? Do you get frustrated when you waste half an hour looking for the zoom out command...or is that just me...? So let the Mac bashing/praising begin.

lufia
02-01-2005, 02:01 AM
macs are gay. even game distributers avoid making games for macs

Doc Sark
02-01-2005, 02:03 AM
Can a Mac actually be gay? It's irritating but I never knew it posessed the capacity to be homosexual.

lufia
02-01-2005, 02:05 AM
from my point of view they are. i had one few yearsago. although i think they last longer than pc i find it completely useless and unrealiable. it doesnt have the capacity to ran alot of programs.

macs rarely get infected by viruses and are stable thats why you see in some businesses people use it

ZeZipster
02-01-2005, 02:14 AM
and so it was known throughout the land... Every Apple Mac prefers Apple Macs of the same gender.

Seriously though.. I don't get the media thing Gimp > Mac's image editor and Photoshop > Gimp. So, how is it better? You can't play most games on it? It's only compatible with other Mac parts? It's not. I'd use a Linux machine before an Apple. But for now, I'll stick with Windows.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-01-2005, 03:31 AM
I used a Mac once. I threw it out a window soon after.

Samuraid
02-01-2005, 03:41 AM
Macs are good systems; however, I can't see why people would spend loads of money getting one for a recording studio or graphics design shop. Is it just for the sake of having the brand name "Mac" on things?

It doesn't make sense. Especially since, for the price of a full blown dual G5 studio machine, you could get 2 dual Xeon boxes that would easily blow away the Mac in nearly every respect.

It just doesn't make sense.

SomethingBig
02-01-2005, 03:41 AM
ROOFLS, I was going to make a thread like this just a couple of minutes ago, then decided not to.

My brother got an Apple laptop and the first thing that popped on the screen when he turned it on was "SHUT ME OFF. I DON'T WANT TO LIVE IF I CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER MAC OF THE SAME SEX."

Faris
02-01-2005, 03:44 AM
I used a Mac once. I threw it out a window soon after.
xD

They use apple macs at my school, they're...ok but not as good as Windows. Apple also seems to be a little slower than Windows :| Sometimes!

Kirkpatrick
02-01-2005, 03:50 AM
and so it was known throughout the land... Every Apple Mac prefers Apple Macs of the same gender.

Well, I guess that explains why I haven't seen a whole lot of male/female ports on a Mac :p

*flees*

...but really, I've only used Macs a few times, but the thing I couldn't stand was the mouse - not only is there only one button, it's the whole mouse! I just get really irritated trying to do anything with those mice :p.

Luc
02-01-2005, 04:01 AM
What is so good about Apple Macs?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing at all. They use Macs at my school, and I hate them. ;_;

Edgar
02-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Apple Macs are very nice. You can taste the apple inside the apple pies Mac makes.

Oh wait, wrong Mac =/

Anyway, Apple deserves to be...er...eaten and digested for good.

eestlinc
02-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Macs are designed to work optimally in heavy graphical and sonic manipulation environments. Many of the best programs for these functions are only available for Mac. The reason almost every design firm and recording studio runs Macs is because they are the best computers for what they do.

Dingo Jellybean
02-01-2005, 06:23 AM
from my point of view they are. i had one few yearsago. although i think they last longer than pc i find it completely useless and unrealiable. it doesnt have the capacity to ran alot of programs.

macs rarely get infected by viruses and are stable thats why you see in some businesses people use it

Correction. There has NEVER been a successful worm or virus attack on the Mac OS X. That's why they're so reliable.

After using both Macs and PCs extensively, I still prefer PCs...only because of the variety of programs you can use on it that are not out for Macs. However, after testing out the Mac Mini, everything loads itself. You do not need to spend $100-$400/year on anti-spyware, anti-viral software on it because the OS is so good(not because hackers don't attempt to hack into it as much as XP). The OS X Panther is really a work of art IMO. It's search engine is quicker on a similar processor and easier to navigate through. The expose feature on the OS is one of the most clever and easy uses of an OS I've ever seen.

Macs are mainly more innovative in terms of design and fashion. PCs are more about power at a lower cost...but the Mac OS X Panther is probably the best OS out there.

Dr Unne
02-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Back in my high school we had old Macs. They were terrible, in terms of performance, reliability, software support, etc. I think they were iMacs or something. ORIGINAL iMacs, running old pre-OS X crap. I haven't used OS X much. My one experience was when I was working in a computer lab, and it wasn't good. A CD got stuck in the drive. We couldn't get it to eject. I looked up how to do it on Google, and the solution was something like "Hold down the mouse button while the computer boots". Which is moronic. There's also the old "jam a paperclip in the hole" routine, which I remember very well from my elementary school days.

Macs look nice, not much doubt about that. Rather, OS X looks nice. For some reason people who are good at GUI design use Macs. I can (and did) get Linux to look exactly like a Mac anyways, so this is a good thing about Mac USERS, not about Macs themselves, in my opinion. You can even make Windows look like a Mac if you try hard enough.

A good thing about OS X: Based on Unix. A bad thing about Macs: Way too expensive, for the most part. I'd buy a Mac before I bought any new version of Windows though, easily. Linux is better than both though, for my needs.

Rainecloud
02-01-2005, 07:26 AM
They're very simple to use, and they look rather attractive.

I use them every day at work, however, and I hate them.

NM
02-01-2005, 08:02 AM
Why Mac's are sh*t.

1. There overly expensive as only Apple make them, which means no compentition meaning you pay what Apple want or don't get one.
2. The new one's can't be upgraded easily, apart from the RAM.
3. Expensive to fix. And Apple won't want to know or help you after your years warrenty runs out.
4. Can't buy spare part's for them.
5. Terrible OS, which has the worst layout i've ever seen.
6. Everything is software controlled. Ejecting a CD, adjusting screen position, etc.
7. Very few applications available.
8. There slow and crash a hell of a lot. Or at least the one's i've used have.
9. The mouse is complete rubbish. Only one button, who thought that was a good idea?

lufia
02-01-2005, 08:11 AM
lol i like this thread.macs are getting pwned here. one guy here said he threw his mac out of the window rofl. man @ my school we had 26 old macs. completely useless, freezes and http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif. principal tossed it all in the bin last yr and replaced it with nice pentium 4s :)

"9. The mouse is complete rubbish. Only one button, who thought that was a good idea?" hahahahahha

alexholker
02-01-2005, 08:17 AM
While a Mac might be more secure, but for me such a comparison doesn't mean much... I've got my Windows XP set up securely too, I never get any viruses, not even spyware (using only free software too). Who needs better security than 100%?

9. The mouse is complete rubbish. Only one button, who thought that was a good idea?You can plug in a proper multi-button mouse into a Mac and use it normally.

lufia
02-01-2005, 08:19 AM
lol who would bother to do that. they use it once and toss it out the window like the other guy

Samuraid
02-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Macs are designed to work optimally in heavy graphical and sonic manipulation environments. Many of the best programs for these functions are only available for Mac. The reason almost every design firm and recording studio runs Macs is because they are the best computers for what they do.

Again, for the price of a dual G5 machine, you can build multiple dual-xeon boxes that will easily outperform the dual G5 machine.

Baloki
02-01-2005, 09:54 AM
There's also the old "jam a paperclip in the hole" routine, which I remember very well from my elementary school days.

You started young didn't you xD

ol i like this thread.macs are getting pwned here. one guy here said he threw his mac out of the window rofl. man @ my school we had 26 old macs. completely useless, freezes and . principal tossed it all in the bin last yr and replaced it with nice pentium 4s

"9. The mouse is complete rubbish. Only one button, who thought that was a good idea?" hahahahahha

Your chatspeak and swearing don't help your case.

Enough quoting, onto the opinions :p Macs overall are nice machines, I would happly own a pre-owned one, expecially their laptops, but theres no way in hell I'd pay their new prices as no computer, no matter how shiny is worth those prices nowadays, and not even Macs hold their worth that much anymore. When using a Mac though (Only used the new OSX 10 I'll admit), its always been quite stable and fast and their wireless network connections are really reliable.

:)

escobert
02-01-2005, 10:55 AM
At my school all we had was macs. And, until I got my desktop all we used at home were macs :p I don't like them since there aren't many games for em.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-01-2005, 11:03 AM
On a related note, does anyone have the video where that guy makes fun of the old iMac commercials, by talking about it's downfalls and such? I loved it but can't seem to find it.

NM
02-01-2005, 11:05 AM
You can plug in a proper multi-button mouse into a Mac and use it normally.

Yes you can but the right mouse button will do the same as the left.

Doc Sark
02-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Ha how could I forget the mouse. It took me about 5 minutes to work out that by right clicking and left clicking I was actually doing the same thing.

I think Mac's definitely have their good points. We came up with some lovely sounds using the MIDI interface into CuBase and a decent sequence, but I think I would agree with the general opinion that I wouldn't one as a home computer.

Citizen Bleys
02-01-2005, 12:10 PM
On a related note, does anyone have the video where that guy makes fun of the old iMac commercials, by talking about it's downfalls and such? I loved it but can't seem to find it.

Dunno if if's the one you're talking about, but I do have a good Mac video on my hard drive.

It's only in WMV, though: http://bleys.vespernet.org/macs-suck.wmv

lufia
02-01-2005, 12:24 PM
lol thats funny. he clicks it :eek:
But at the end of the video did that guy say mac kills microsoft?

Lionx
02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I used a Mac before and even own one of the pre OS: X iMacs. I dont like the iMac but i like the Macintosh otherwise. They have a much more friendly user system than the PC (seriously, you have to use it well enough to get used to it just like the PC). The sounds are also more sexy as well. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mac besides the big wierd Keyboard, one button mouse, and the lack of software for it. Obviously, if we can run more things on a Mac, then there is no reason why it would not be at the very least on par with the PC.

alexholker
02-01-2005, 01:36 PM
Yes you can but the right mouse button will do the same as the left.I wasn't aware of that. I just knew that a guy at university used a Microsoft brand mouse with his laptop. It's rather funny if it doesn't work any differently to the Mac mouse.

DMKA
02-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Wow. I had no idea Macs were gay. I mean, there are those brilliant colors, but I was trying not to stereotype them...oh well.

I personally despise Macs. PCs are far more flexible and you can do alot more editing techniques (though you have to be a class B nerd atleast) on a PC. Macs just look nice, which I don't get why that matters to people, like people who bitch about internet explorer sucking because it doesn't look nice. :eep:

Atleast the OS is better than Linux though.

alexholker
02-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Macs just look nice, which I don't get why that matters to people, like people who bitch about internet explorer sucking because it doesn't look nice. :eep:IE doesn't suck because it doesn't look nice: IE sucks because it is an insecure piece of junk and when I tried using it on my computer, Windows Explorer took that as permission to contact Microsoft every time I right-clicked. :eek:

Lionx
02-01-2005, 03:20 PM
The only reason why its not flexible is because every single software is Windows programmed. -_-

Doc Sark
02-01-2005, 04:01 PM
How funny is that video?

But at the end of the video did that guy say mac kills microsoft?

No he said, "Mac kills my inner child!"

DMKA
02-01-2005, 04:24 PM
IE doesn't suck because it doesn't look nice: IE sucks because it is an insecure piece of junk and when I tried using it on my computer, Windows Explorer took that as permission to contact Microsoft every time I right-clicked. :eek:
I've been using it for all of my internet life and I've never had these problems.

alexholker
02-01-2005, 04:36 PM
I've been using it for all of my internet life and I've never had these problems.So you don't get any spyware at all then, or have Windows Explorer trying to access the internet?

Baloki
02-01-2005, 04:48 PM
So you don't get any spyware at all then, or have Windows Explorer trying to access the internet?

I don't either but then I lock down my system if I'm going on the internet.

I still like <strike>Firefox</strike> Red Panda though :)

Samuraid
02-01-2005, 07:47 PM

Here's another good one:
http://files.redvsblue.com/switch/RvB_Switch.mov

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-01-2005, 09:23 PM
Dunno if if's the one you're talking about, but I do have a good Mac video on my hard drive.

It's only in WMV, though: http://bleys.vespernet.org/macs-suck.wmv
That's it. Thanks.

Dingo Jellybean
02-02-2005, 05:28 AM
The Mac Mini is moving towards the PC-end of the market. Although you can get a similar machine from Dell or HP for around $420 instead of $500, it's Apple's first attempt to get into the bargain computer business since it's $2500 launch of the Macintosh a few decades ago.

There are a few components that you can upgrade yourself, but Apple makes it very difficult for you to do so. You'll have to upgrade it at the time of order or send it to a local shop. The bad thing about the Mac Mini is that it has 2 USB 2.0 ports. TWO. Plug in a mouse and keyboard and that's it. What about the iPod? I know my keyboard doesn't have a USB port. But you can buy a USB hub anyways, but still...you hate to get anything for a product like a computer. That's like buying headphones for a CD player you just bought. Not necessarily expensive, but a hassle nonetheless.

The best thing about the Macs are their reliability. A lot of people think the OS is crap...mainly because they're so use to XP. I read someone said XP was secure earlier on this thread...WTH? Since when has XP ever been secure?

alexholker
02-02-2005, 05:54 AM
I read someone said XP was secure earlier on this thread...WTH? Since when has XP ever been secure?I did not mean that XP was inherently secure - I was saying that with how I have set up my computer, it is completely secure for anything I'd use it for. Programs cannot access the internet without permission, I don't get any pop-ups, and viruses and spyware don't even get onto my computer. If I went out of my way to change my behavior (for example, if I decided to install Kazza), then yes, it would get spyware. But for my purposes, it is secure.