PDA

View Full Version : XP compatability

piersontommy
02-01-2005, 07:09 PM
i recently downloaded the FF7 screensavers, installed them, and tried to run them, but they keep crashing :mad2:! is it the screensavers aren't compatible, or do i have a srewed up setting somewhere? please help me! :confused:

Meat Puppet
02-01-2005, 07:50 PM
I couldn't answer without looking at the screensavers first. Probably both.

crono_logical
02-01-2005, 11:05 PM
People don't need screensavers anymore, you're supposed to use power management to turn your screen off when you're not using your computer to save electricity.

Baloki
02-02-2005, 02:08 AM
People don't need screensavers anymore, you're supposed to use power management to turn your screen off when you're not using your computer to save electricity.

I doubt you even need a monitor :D

Yamaneko
02-02-2005, 05:59 AM
I use a screensaver after 10 minutes idle time and my monitor turns off after 30 minutes idle time. Getting a monitor back on takes five seconds. I don't have that kind of time. :D

crono_logical
02-02-2005, 05:47 PM
I doubt you even need a monitor :DActually, you're correct, I haven't needed or used a monitor on my PC for a good month now :p

piersontommy
02-02-2005, 06:58 PM
quoting above "Actually, you're correct, I haven't needed or used a monitor on my PC for a good month now" either you are a liar, or are serverly confused.laptops have an integrated display, which dose count as a monitor, which is simply a device used to view the information your computer has. and the point of having the screensavers is to watch a killer movie scene (aeris death) while doing other stuff, so can we get back on subject, is it my computer or the screensavers, and what can i do to fix it?
and don't say annything about "power management" or "blank screen," i want answeres please!

Endless
02-02-2005, 07:30 PM
His PC works as a server, when he needs to do maintenance on it, he can ssh into it, using a laptop for example. You don't need a screen to run apache/php/mysql.

Baloki
02-02-2005, 08:09 PM
His PC works as a server, when he needs to do maintenance on it, he can ssh into it, using a laptop for example. You don't need a screen to run apache/php/mysql.

And he can tune into elctomagnetic waves produced by all electronic components.

crono_logical
02-02-2005, 08:48 PM
I have a program called 'screen' installed on my PC though :D But yes, provided I have a network connection to it, I can use it like a normal machine, and never need to plug a monitor into it.

Anyway, I tried the Aeris death scene screensaver on my WinXP laptop. It runs, but it can't stop because of something about it can't find the screen saver password data. I assume that that error message is what you refer to as "crashing", since you weren't helpfully descriptive as to how it crashed and with what error. Fortunately for me, I could pull up task manager with the screensaver running and kill it, which should be impossible were it running correctly :D I'll assume the screensavers are for Win9x and not NT-based Windows, like XP :p As far as I know, I don't think there is a compatibility mode for screen savers like for applications, so I doubt there's anything you can do to fix it, short of reformatting and installing Windows 98 :D

You might as well go with turning the monitor off in this case :monster:

Baloki
02-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Or emulating 98 :p

piersontommy
02-02-2005, 10:41 PM
yeah, i get that error. control, alt delete is the only way to get out. it also will only display about half of the image. well, at least it's not just me. thanks for giving me a strait answere.

piersontommy
02-02-2005, 10:55 PM
i was wondering, what is the XP patch for under FF7? is it for the emulators, or a poorly placed patch for the screensavers?

Baloki
02-02-2005, 11:12 PM
i was wondering, what is the XP patch for under FF7? is it for the emulators, or a poorly placed patch for the screensavers?

Or it could be for the PC version of Final Fantasy VII? :D

piersontommy
02-04-2005, 02:59 PM
i got to thinking, would it be agenst anny of the "eyesonff.com" rules to rip appart the screensaver files and put them back together again, in the hopes of getting XP compatability?

Citizen Bleys
02-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Are you sure it's really a screensaver? The .scr extension, commonly thought to mean "screensaver" actually means "script," which is why a lot of virus/malware writers like to disguise their work as a screensaver. Your "screensaver" is probably turning your 'doze install into a HTCPCP server.

crono_logical
02-04-2005, 06:23 PM
piers: Feel free too, I don't think even I'm capable of doing that though :p

Bleys: It's a screensaver :p

piersontommy
02-04-2005, 07:32 PM
yeah, i know it's a script file. i also know it's not spyware, or something similar, because i run anti-virus and adaware se almost constantly. i gues i'll try to de-compile and re-compile it tonight. since i don't have internet at home, it will be monday before i can give any updates.