PDA

View Full Version : new adventures in old games

Stayin Dizzy
02-01-2005, 07:37 PM
lately ive been on a nes/snes kick but I'm running out of games to play that have caught my interest. Does anyone know any good game titles for these systems that are rpg's and are actually worth playing?? I'm looking for games like star ocean, ff, and terrignama(sp). I guess a better question would be what are your favorite old rpg's??

Necronopticous
02-01-2005, 08:34 PM
Try "Arcana" on Super Nintendo, I always liked that game since it's different. One of the only non-Square SNES RPGs that I ever liked.

Sepho
02-02-2005, 05:12 AM
Note that a few of these are personal favorites, some no one else likes, and some no one has heard of. Try them out, anyway.

Chrono Trigger if you haven't played it. And if you have, play it again.

Actraiser - the inspiration for the Georama feature of the first Dark Cloud, only it's ten times more fun than Dark Cloud. It's different, with less emphasis on the actual, erm, action, than most other Action/RPGs. However, the other areas of the gameplay (namely the concept of creating and sustaining towns) makes up for it. It's simple, but worth a shot. Some don't like it at all; others love it.

Secret of Mana - you can find plenty of people who will vouche for this.

Secret of Evermore - you can find considerably less people who will vouche for this. It runs on the Mana engine and has more of a sci-fi feel to it, whereas Mana is standard fantasy. It's one of those "Most everyone hates it, but I love it" games.

Y's III, or "Wanderer's from Y's III" alternatively - old school side-scrolling Action/RPG made by Sammy. There were so many games from this genre developed during the SNES era, but there's a few I personally favor for reasons I can't explain. I think it may have something to do with the Ring system. That, and the bosses are tough. Galbalan is absolutely the hardest final boss I've ever fought, in any game. Period. It's one of those "Most everyone has never heard of it, but I have, and love it" games.

Earthbound - Gah, don't even ask. Just play it.

I could have swore I had more titles swimming around in my head when I started writing this post. Anyhow, I'll post more as they come to mind. I was unaware of the RPG genre during the days of the SNES (spending most of my time playing Mario, Donkey Kong, and Disney-licensed games), so I played most of these during the PS1 era.

Levian
02-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Soulblazer - The inspiration for the georama feature of the first Dark Cloud, only it's eleven times more fun than Dark Cloud.

E.V.O. - This is a very good game. Just get it. Now. You will not regret.

Citizen Bleys
02-03-2005, 03:23 PM
I'll second the Secret of Mana and (albeit less so) Secret of Evermore reccomendations. SoE is less good but more funny. Even so, SoM has its funny moments. ("You're a GIRL?" scene).

I also liked the original Breath of Fire.

One that I loved to death that doesn't get much press is The 7th Saga. I guess it now qualifies as a S-E game, but at the time, it was just Enix. It had a varied array of characters you could choose: Barbarian warrior Kamil Dowonna, priest Valsu Saizer, evil mage Lejes Rimul, robotic Tetujin Lux Tizer, elven mage Esuna Busy, dwarf asskicker Olvan Jaess, and the insipid weakling demon Wilme Pelin. Depending on which character you take, the story may take different turns (i.e., Lux and Esuna take a totally different story, and if you go as Olvan, you get access to some freaky Dwarven tower)

As the story progresses, you get to take one of the other Apprentices as your companion (I acutally had Valsu and Lejes once, even though they hate each other) and fight the other Apprentices for control over the Runes, which have kick-ass abilities like teleportation. I usually advise that you take Valsu as your main or companion, because he's a vicious bugger to kill, and you *will* have to go head to head with all of the other Apprentices at least once. Wilme's a pushover. Olvan isn't bad as long as you have resistance to fire, Esuna's kind of tough, and Lejes isn't bad if you can kill him fast enough that he doesn't get a lot of nukes in, but the Valsu fight takes FOR-BLOODY-EVER because he has insane defense and can cure himself like mad, and his attacks to a lot of damage to you even if he's a crap damage dealer when he's in your party.

Plus, with Valsu, you get a spell later in the game that restores HP and MP to full. When his MP starts getting low, cast it on him, then cast it again on yourself. Boom. Instant revitalization.

Stayin Dizzy
02-03-2005, 05:57 PM
that 7th saga sounds pretty cool. I played SOMana for a little bit once and I started SoEvermore but I never really gave them a chance. I have them both, so i might get into those. SoulBlazer is one that I've debated on playing but I already beat illusion of Gaia and Terrenigma so im not sure if i want to go back and play the 1st only to find it sux compared to the other 2. Yesterday i went back and booted up my old star ocean game and finally beat the 7 star ruins on like, level 67. tough as nails. keep em coming though im loving some of the game titles listed