PDA

View Full Version : Cid

feioncastor
02-01-2005, 07:42 PM
As you all probably know, Cid is a very common name in FF games. He's usually associated with airships in some way, but not always.

Like in Final Fantasy VI. What exactly does he do?

In FF2, he's the owner of the airship and the pilot. In FF4, he's the engineer of the airships. In FF7, he's, well, an a**hole pilot of the airships. In FF10, he's the Al Bhed guy with the airship.

But what does he do in FF6? I know he's a soldier of the empire, under Gestahl's command, but what is he? A general like Celes or Leo? A lower officer like Kefka? Or a common underling like Vicks and Wedge? Or maybe he's the chief engineer like he is in FF4's Empire of Baron?

Anyone know for sure?

Feion

TheAbominatrix
02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
He's not a soldier. He's in charge of the Magitek facility and came up with the process of injecting people with the essence of Espers to give them magical powers. And yes, he does work for the Empire.

Flying Mullet
02-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Cid is always a technical scientist type of guy that works with the latest and greatest in technology in the world (except for FFVIII) and it just happens that airships are basically the cutting edge technology in each game.

FFII - Airship Owner/Pilot
FFIII - Airship Owner
FFIV - Airship Engineer
FFV - Airship Scientist
FFVI - Magitek Scientist
FFVIII - Airship Pilot after space program is canned
FFVIII - dunno
FFIX - Airship Engineer
FFX - Al Bhed leader that embraces technology, Airship Owner

I Don't Need A Name
02-01-2005, 09:56 PM
FFVIII - dunno
Cid is the owner of the Balmb(sp) garden...which tuns into a hovercraft

Necronopticous
02-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Cid is the owner of the Balmb(sp) garden...which tuns into a hovercraftActually he's the headmaster, NORG is the financial owner.

Flamethrower
02-01-2005, 11:46 PM
A general like Celes or Leo? A lower officer like Kefka?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Kefka of equal rank to Celes and Leo?

Doomgaze
02-02-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure. The scene at the Doma Camp could imply that Leo outranks Kefka, but that's not certain - he might just not want to use the poison in front of Leo, as the poison is a horrible warcrime and Leo might kill him for it or something.

ShunNakamura
02-02-2005, 03:31 PM
How I always took it was that kefka was an advisor of some sort.

General Leo was the highest ranking military officer and had the loyalty of the Troops, therefor purposely alienating him while the troops are needed is a bad idea. Also even if you put someone above him in rank I think the troops would still look to him if they had any doubts on the orders. Hence the neccessity to remove Leo from the scene at the camp. As it was there were some feeble protests if I remember... If Leo was there and hadn't left it may have been outright refusal.

That is how I always took it anyways. Leo was loyal but he wouldn't condone acts that went against his code so to speak. In fact if I remember right the whole time to until his death Leo still has a pure image of the Emperor and the Empire, and thinks Kefka is rogue... that and the Emperor gives Kefka the whole blame for the poison making it appear as if kefka was rogue(Leo doesn't like him :P) and that also cements Leo's Loyalty because it makes The Emperor look good in his eyes.

But I am repeating myself.

mythus
02-03-2005, 03:30 AM
Coorect me if I am wrong but wasn't Kefka the first, and only male injected with magitek? Thus driving him insane? Though being powerful I think Gesthal kept him there as a weapon.

And Cid was definetly the cheif of the magitek research faciility. I am currently replaying FF6 for the 12-hundredth time, and just a few days ago i was at the point I learned of Cid

TheAbominatrix
02-03-2005, 03:37 AM
He was not the only male, he was however the first. "The process wasnt perfected yet, and something snapped in Kefka that day." Soldiers in the facility have magic, and there's even a boy in Vector we see with magic.

feioncastor
02-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Kefka was definitely not the same rank as Celes and Leo. Celes and Leo were generals. Kefka had authority because he could tell soldiers what to do, as he often did ("Ahem, there's sand in my boots"). But the scene at the camp outside of Doma shows soldiers talking about quitting if Kefka becomes the next general.

And I never knew that Kefka had been infused with magicite (I almost said Mako. Hahahaha). I guess that one must've missed me. So that's why he so f***ed up!

Good old Kefka. Now that's a villian. Such an evil guy. I mean Sephiroth was bad, but Kefka, he'd friggin work Sephi over and then bathe in his blood. Zeromus, Chaos (where did he come from), the Emporor, X-Death, Ultemecia, Kuja... They all just don't compare to Kefka. As a soldier in the Imperial Castle in Vector said:

"Kefka's scum."

Feion

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-03-2005, 05:00 PM
As far as Cid's ranking, since he wasn't military personelle, strictly speaking, I think he had some authority and access to certain information, but wasn't high enough in the pecking order to give orders to most. He could probably boss the grunts around though.

Edgar
02-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Kefka was definitely not the same rank as Celes and Leo. Celes and Leo were generals. Kefka had authority because he could tell soldiers what to do, as he often did ("Ahem, there's sand in my boots"). But the scene at the camp outside of Doma shows soldiers talking about quitting if Kefka becomes the next general.

And I never knew that Kefka had been infused with magicite (I almost said Mako. Hahahaha). I guess that one must've missed me. So that's why he so f***ed up!

Good old Kefka. Now that's a villian. Such an evil guy. I mean Sephiroth was bad, but Kefka, he'd friggin work Sephi over and then bathe in his blood. Zeromus, Chaos (where did he come from), the Emporor, X-Death, Ultemecia, Kuja... They all just don't compare to Kefka. As a soldier in the Imperial Castle in Vector said:

"Kefka's scum."

Feion

Join the club ;)

Black Chocobo
02-03-2005, 08:32 PM
Kefka has a Maniacal personality. He is overly done and bizarre, and I see no reason in the bossing around of his soldiers other than the sole reason to let you know that he has power, and he is not afraid to use it.

I thought this thread was about Cid?

Destai
02-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Sorry but I have to ask,
Abominatrix:He was not the only male, he was however the first. "The process wasnt perfected yet, and something snapped in Kefka that day." Soldiers in the facility have magic, and there's even a boy in Vector we see with magic.

Where did you learn that?

TheAbominatrix
02-03-2005, 11:40 PM
When you sneak into Vector, a man in the pub will tell you.

DocFrance
02-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Cid actually is still an airship engineer in FFVI. He's the one who fixed the Blackjack when it crashed after you visit the Esper Cave. There's an often-missed scene where Cid is telling Setzer that he'll fix the airship for him.

Or something like that.

TheAbominatrix
02-04-2005, 03:04 AM
He didnt fix the Blackjack. He was amazed by the machine, and tried to help Setzer. However, Setzer kicks him out, saying he doesnt want Cid working on his ship. Cid never does anything with airships outside of that scene.

DocFrance
02-04-2005, 03:59 AM
D'oh! That's right. It's been a while, folks.

feioncastor
02-04-2005, 04:33 AM
Setzer is awesome.

In many ways, he's the Cait Sith of FFVI. In the sense that his moves involve dice and slot machines... But mostly in the sense that no one ever uses him if they can avoid it.

Feion

Destai
02-04-2005, 08:47 AM
I need to replay this game...

BG-57
02-04-2005, 11:20 PM
Cid always struck me as the Oppenheimer of the Empire: a civilian scientist perfecting weapons of mass destruction for a millitary force. He doesn't seem to be fully aware of the true nature of magicite though, at least initially. I find that interesting, considering he has to be one of the world's leading authorities on it.

mythus
02-05-2005, 12:03 AM
He doesn't seem to be fully aware of the true nature of magicite though, at least initially. I find that interesting, considering he has to be one of the world's leading authorities on it.

Well as Ramuh explained, they were going about it the wrong way, draining the esper's power without fuilly converting them to magicite. Perhaps since there were no real records on magicite, this was an unknown method, even to those professed in the subject of magiteck tecknology like Cid.

Sorry but I have to ask,
Abominatrix:He was not the only male, he was however the first. "The process wasnt perfected yet, and something snapped in Kefka that day." Soldiers in the facility have magic, and there's even a boy in Vector we see with magic.

Where did you learn that?

I had completely forgotten about that scene. Why even in Vector a woman excalims that Cid is a genius because he gave her son the gift of magic.

"Kefka's scum."

I couldn't have said it better. There is absolutly no villian that compares to Kefka. There is no villian who was as successful as Kefka. He did after all destroy the world, so to speak, and was worshiped as a god! What other villan can claim that? None. Why half the game consists of recovering from your defeate and regrouping to defeat Kefka, in a world that he already laid to waste. He is the one villian I grew to admire.

feioncastor
02-05-2005, 04:42 AM
I couldn't have said it better. There is absolutly no villian that compares to Kefka. There is no villian who was as successful as Kefka. He did after all destroy the world, so to speak, and was worshiped as a god! What other villan can claim that? None. Why half the game consists of recovering from your defeate and regrouping to defeat Kefka, in a world that he already laid to waste. He is the one villian I grew to admire

That's one thing missing that is often missing from a game. A genuinely evil villian. Someone that you can really admire as a hateful person. I mean, every game has a "bad guy", but I really think that when they developed the character of Kefka, they developed a "bad guy" that would never be matched.

I hate him (cause he's evil), but I like what they did with him.

Friggin Squaresoft. I love those guys. They've made my life intersting and complete.

Feion

TheEmrys
02-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Feioncastor, Mythus i love u both. I cant really add any better to either of your words but my heart is overjoyed to read your words.
Heh, i even made a website dedicated to Kefka waaaay back in the day.

And as for the FFVI Cid: He seemed to be one of the less recognized Cid's. He worked in the Magitek Factory and nursed Celes back to health but not much other than that. An interesting character thats for sure.

Masamune·1600
03-02-2005, 11:41 PM
I couldn't have said it better. There is absolutly no villian that compares to Kefka. There is no villian who was as successful as Kefka. He did after all destroy the world, so to speak, and was worshiped as a god! What other villan can claim that? None. Why half the game consists of recovering from your defeate and regrouping to defeat Kefka, in a world that he already laid to waste. He is the one villian I grew to admire.

Well, on a slightly technical note, Kuja destroyed Terra. And even though it was only for the sake of graphics (which is supported by the fact that the same planets are destroyed if he casts it again), Sephiroth's Super Nova took out the better part of the solar system. Also, I would suggest Kefka only damaged the world; it will recover, just like it did 1000 years before the events of the game.

Seriously, though, Kefka is undoubtedly the most evil villain ever (Sephiroth's still my favorite, though). Kefka is evil in a way that eludes most villains because he acts almost solely out of malice. He doesn't kill because he thinks people don't deserve to live or that existence is some sort of philosophical fallacy; he kills because he likes to kill, and because he likes to see others suffer.

Incidentally, if you admire Kefka, there is something seriously wrong with you.

mythus
03-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Incidentally, if you admire Kefka, there is something seriously wrong with you.

I never claimed to be sane. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Anyways, whats not to admire about him? He had a goal, and he achieved it ;) Sephiroth didn't get to finish with his.