PDA

View Full Version : WHAT THE..?

mitchellmeek
02-02-2005, 02:45 AM
hey. just read the marginally official final fantasy VIII FAQ thread, and saw that it said laguna is squall's father and raine is his mother! i only just tuned into the site so i guess i missed all the debate about that, but can someone fill me in where these clues come from?!

rubah
02-02-2005, 03:43 AM
These are all spoilers, of course. Especially for the ending. So yeah.

2) Kiros at the same time jokes that it's good that Squall doesn't look like his father. This implies that he knows his father well enough to jest like this. Who else does kiros know so well?

3) At the ending, Laguna visits Raine's gravesite and remembers the night he proposes to her-- offers her a ring, she slides it on her hand and he has one matching. She gets giddy, most definitely a marriage proposal.

and probably some other stuff. Like Ellone being close to Laguna and knowing Squall better than the orphanage kiddos.

Flamethrower
02-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Also, the moombas call Squall "Laguna" in the D-District Prison.

Oh, and this isn't really solid proof, but Laguna has Squall's card. Usually, the parent of a character has the card of their child. Rinoa's dad has her card, Zell's mom has his card, so it makes since that Laguna has his son's card.

amratis
02-03-2005, 12:20 AM
This thing about Laguna being Squall's father has always puzzled me. I understand that thereis evidence pointing towards it in the game but...well, the game manual states the characters ages. And it says Laguna is 27 and Squall is 17. So....well wouldnt Laguna have to have fathered Squall when he was 10 then?....??? :eek: :confused:

amra

Sepho
02-03-2005, 12:31 AM
Spoilers below-

Laguna is 27 years of age during his scenarios, which take place some years before the present time (assuming you're playing as Squall and company during the present time).

If you assume that Squall was conceived around the time you experience his last couple scenarios, you can add 17 to 27 and that equals out to Laguna being in his mid 40's. If you look at him during the final FMV, he clearly appears middle-aged - his skin is pale, and he has crow's feet around his eyes.

ShivaBlizzard8
02-03-2005, 03:49 AM
Exactly - if you'll notice in those Laguna scenarios, Ellone is like 5 YEARS OLD, and she's obviously a lot older now, so quite a bit of time has passed. Other evidence includes:

1)The fact that Raine died giving birth to Laguna's son, who then got sent off to an orpahnage with Ellone.

2)Even though Squall tries to pawn it off, he's the only one who calls Ellone "Sis." The other characters only call her that when they're quoting what Squall used to say.

3)The "love" theme of the game (which is technically official, given Nobuo Uematsu's inclusion of it in the Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec anagram) doesn't really do much unless you look at the fact that Squall and Rinoa's parents (Laguna and Julia) were supposed to be together, but circumstance kept them apart. So fate intervenes and Squall and Rinoa get together, and Julia and Laguna's romance is played out through their children.

seiyuimore
02-03-2005, 06:40 AM
And please DON'T start to quote that Laguna is Rinoa's father. it's just sick. :mad:

Yuffie514
02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Also, the moombas call Squall "Laguna" in the D-District Prison.

didn't the Shumi people also mistook Squall as Laguna :confused: ? i haven't played FFVIII in a long time :p . n-e-ways, you can really see the resemblance between Squall/Laguna if you've played KH before :eek: . and one more thing...what's up with the water/sky names like Laguna, Raine, and Squall :mad: ?

amratis
02-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Spoilers below-

Laguna is 27 years of age during his scenarios, which take place some years before the present time (assuming you're playing as Squall and company during the present time).

If you assume that Squall was conceived around the time you experience his last couple scenarios, you can add 17 to 27 and that equals out to Laguna being in his mid 40's. If you look at him during the final FMV, he clearly appears middle-aged - his skin is pale, and he has crow's feet around his eyes.

.......You know...I never realized that, that the manual meant he's 27 IN the dream sequences.... god I am so scatty-brained sometimes...doh :eek:

amra

Sepho
02-04-2005, 12:14 PM
Nah, it's a commonly misinterpreted detail; I initially overlooked it as well.

ShivaBlizzard8
02-04-2005, 05:39 PM
It is somewhat misleading, although I think Square did it in order to not spoil for players who Laguna was and that the dreamworld was in the past - something you don't figure out until quite late in the game.

Flashback007
02-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Oh, and this isn't really solid proof, but Laguna has Squall's card. Usually, the parent of a character has the card of their child. Rinoa's dad has her card, Zell's mom has his card, so it makes since that Laguna has his son's card.

I think it's actually very solid proof. If you look to it, it all works out.

Bane of Almasy
02-05-2005, 11:35 AM
I knew something was strange when you talk to Laguna Kiros and Ward on Ragnarok. Laguna said he wanted to tell Squall something after it was all over so I guess that was it.

Sir Bahamut
02-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I think it's actually very solid proof. If you look to it, it all works out.

Only problem is that for instance, Irvines card is held by some random bloke in Deling =P

Destai
02-05-2005, 03:25 PM
No its held by Flo in Fishermans horizon after losing the sacred card to the Queen of cards. Flo prbably won it from the former headmaster of Galbadia garden who takes up residence moping outside the mayors house in FH.

Shoden
02-05-2005, 04:19 PM
you never find out about Irvines past except the orphanage same with Selphie and Quistis (in a way)

Flamethrower
02-05-2005, 07:18 PM
For all we know, Flo could be Irvine's biological mother. Unlikely, but possible.

That would be quite ironic, the peaceloving hippie gives birth to a sharpshooter.

amratis
02-05-2005, 07:24 PM
Nah, it's a commonly misinterpreted detail; I initially overlooked it as well.

Good to know I wasnt the only one who did, *chuckle* Its really weird, I cant believe that it never crossed my mind. lol

amra

Sepho
02-05-2005, 11:53 PM
Yeah, we often get new members who read the FAQ thread, and their first reaction is "What the-?".

I'd be lying if I said that I learned about the relationship before my third playthrough. :p

GhandiOwnsYou
02-06-2005, 02:06 AM
hmmmm, never noticed the thing with the cards....

So lets see, assuming the trend stays in place...

Irvine is Flo's son....
Quistis is....I forget
Selphie is....wait. nope. Selphie is NOT the daughter of the 15 year old Trabian Seed member...lol

Flamethrower
02-06-2005, 02:30 AM
The person who has Quistis' card is that guy from Balamb Garden who's obsessed with Quistis. I would certainly hope he's not her father. :D

Sepho
02-06-2005, 04:42 AM
Actually, you can win Quistis' card from any of the three "Trepies", including the guy you're referring to, as well as either of the two female students in the second floor classroom. I've won it from both of them.

ShivaBlizzard8
02-06-2005, 05:48 AM
I think that looking for the secondary characters' biological parents (Quistis, Selphie, Irvine, etc) based on cards or not is somewhat of a faulty premise since it is stated that orphanages were common when Squall and Co. were kids, filled with children who's parents were killed in the Sorceress War with Adel.

Biological parents' deaths works in the case of Ellone, and although Squall only lost his mother, his father was in somewhat of a unique situation. I think it can be assumed that everyone else's parents are dead. It would also explained why there are so many unattached teenagers ready to join military academies at relatively young ages. The large populations of Balamb and Galbadia Gardens speaks to a generation of people with no where else to go.

seiyuimore
02-06-2005, 10:23 PM
I think that looking for the secondary characters' biological parents (Quistis, Selphie, Irvine, etc) based on cards or not is somewhat of a faulty premise since it is stated that orphanages were common when Squall and Co. were kids, filled with children who's parents were killed in the Sorceress War with Adel.

Biological parents' deaths works in the case of Ellone, and although Squall only lost his mother, his father was in somewhat of a unique situation. I think it can be assumed that everyone else's parents are dead. It would also explained why there are so many unattached teenagers ready to join military academies at relatively young ages. The large populations of Balamb and Galbadia Gardens speaks to a generation of people with no where else to go.

Ah, I thought people join Balamb or Gardens because they give high salaries and well, fames. There are so many people who has nowhere else to go??

ShivaBlizzard8
02-06-2005, 11:27 PM
Well, yeah, being a SeeD is a pretty good job - similar to why many young people in real life who sign up for the military; its secure, it pays well, you can act out childhood GI Joe fantasies, etc. However, most real life people run off and join the military at what - 18? 21?

But in the FF world, you have kids at Balamb Garden who are 11, 12, 13 years old. (Think Junior classmen you rescue on Disc 2). The Gardens began as orphanages, and in many respects they still look like that to me. Why are they the the living place of middle schoolers? They are obviously too young to do much fighting (they were huddled together cowering during the Garden War), so why are they there?

Also, you don't really hear many people talk about their parents or families, except for Zell, even though it would seem easy to visit them.

What makes sense is that the Gardens are the only home these kids have. Although its a military academy, and students are expected to pull their wieght in that eventaully, in many ways it still works like a giant orphanage. Also, we KNOW that during the war with Adel a lot of people got killed, and a lot of children were subsequently orphaned. They would all be teenagers now, and its unlikely enough adults were left around to adopt all of them. So where do they go? Garden. It explains why there are so many young people there. In a similar vein, I also thinks it implys that most people there don't have biological parents who are alive - hence it doesn't work to look for Quistis' Selphie's parents, etc.

But its just my personal theory, I don't claim that its fact. :)

Squall04
02-13-2005, 11:32 PM
For all we know, Flo could be Irvine's biological mother. Unlikely, but possible.

That would be quite ironic, the peaceloving hippie gives birth to a sharpshooter.

Maybe that's why he was sent to an orphanage. ;)

Also, do we know anything about Seifer's parents? Cid has his card, and I wouldn't really consider him a secondary character.

rubah
02-14-2005, 01:38 AM
I'd say dead like the rest of them.

Cid is the closest he has to a father figure-- he's probably the one that keeps him from being tossed out of garden.

Squall04
02-14-2005, 01:53 AM
Ya, that's a good point.