PDA

View Full Version : Andrea Bocelli

The Captain
02-02-2005, 05:18 AM
For nearly 10 years I've been listening to Andrea Bocelli and after listening to any given song, I'm always left spell-bound. His voice, silky smooth, yet with depth that cannot be measured is as close to achieving some sort of musicial perfection as anything I've ever heard. Aside from Sinatra, I'd say he's the greatest singer I've ever had the pleasure of hearing.

What do you think of him? Who do you think is the greatest singer of all time?

Also, does anyone else think that singers and the art of singing are in decline? Tying in with the thread on Ashlee Simpson, I've begun to wonder if the current youth of the world is beginning to lose sight and sound of what real true singing sounds like since with the power of technology, anyone can sound great. Does anyone else feel this way?

Take care all.

fire_of_avalon
02-02-2005, 05:24 AM
Ashlee Simpson can't sing well on her CD, let alone in real life. I mean, seriously people. If you listen to it, it's unpleasant. I don't see why anyone is surprised that "she can't really sing".

I like Andrea Bocelli, even though I don't listen to much from him. I can't really think of my favorite singer singer (as in super talented and well trained). My dad and I were watching something on television once, and heard a very young man sing this rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner that was breath taking. I'm going to say he is, even though I can't remember his name. :D

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-02-2005, 05:52 AM
I know many talented singers, and song, I feel, is alive and well even with the youth. I may not like what most of those my age choose to lend their voices to, but there are still talented singers everywhere.

I love listening to Opera, for example, and there are many people who are extraordinarily talented in that field.

Lucky Charms
02-02-2005, 11:59 AM
I don't mind hearing Bocelli's voice.. it's just that like Josh Groban.. hearing it one too many times (esp. during Christmas) is too much for me. I'll take my Opera in moderation.

Greatest singer of all time? Nat King Cole. I remember watching PBS when I was five and telling my parents how I thought "Unforgettable" was the best song I ever heard. :)

As for Ashlee Simpson. I'm not suprised she made it in this industry. I live in LA (very near Hollywood) and there are tons of tons of people out there that emulate cookie cutter copies of pop stars. I know she's not really all that but I do have to admit she was an OK pop singer. She just did her job as a pop star. Gave off an appealing image so she could sell herself to the kids. I liked her pre-lip sync public projection better than Britney Spears. She did manage to sway some fans here at the time.. But when SNL happened.. her work ethic just went way off. She took her spotlight forgranted and abused it.

Real singers don't necessarily have to be found in mainstream...

Doc Sark
02-02-2005, 12:55 PM
I can't really think of my favorite singer singer (as in super talented and well trained).

Do you have to be well trained to be a great singer though. If you're talking about classical singers then I guess you do but I can think of plenty of great singers who have not undergone classical training and still sound amazing.

I actually rate Seal, as one of the great vocalists of the pop era (controversial maybe) but I love that soulful sound he achieves. I think Joss Stone has a very powerful and beautiful voice for a girl of her age. Ryan Adams I think has a brilliant voice! I guess it's all down to personal preference. I acknowledge that classically trained vocalists are technically better than most other singers but I wonder if they get carried away sometimes in being technically perfect that they forget music is about improvisation and expression. On the classical front however I did like G4, the lads that participated in X-Factor (like Pop-Idol for anyone that doesn't know), they were all classically trained, absolutely brilliant, and a breath of fresh air into a pop world that has in my opinion gone very stale.

Dr Unne
02-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Greatest singer of all time? Nat King Cole.

If not the best, one of the best.

I don't think people are big fans of that whole "melody" thing. I can't listen to someone who doesn't sing but rather talks very loudly in rhyme, or screams over top of noise. Female singers nowdays all sound the same, and they sound like singing frogs. If you have boobs and are willing to take off most of your clothes in public, you're going to be more popular anyways. But it's been almost that bad since the 80's.

I'd take good instrumental music over good singing anyways. There was that wacky time when singers used to sing decently AND play their own instruments. e.g. Stevie Ray Vaughan.