PDA

View Full Version : New fan...

/Ifrit/
02-02-2005, 07:05 PM
Hey everyone, I am new to the FF series. So far, I have FF7, FF10 and FFT. I was just wondering which FF game should I get next to continue my collection?

Sepho
02-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Purchase Final Fantasy Anthology, Final Fantasy Chronicles, and Final Fantasy Origins, and play them before you become further jaded by new-fangled polygonal 3D Hoo-haw.

I'd buy Anthology first, and play VI. After that, it might help you to have an easier time with the older games.

Slade
02-02-2005, 08:13 PM
VIII. My favorite....its great. IX is really good too so either one.... :D but if you wanna play an old school one first then definatly VI.......

mythus
02-02-2005, 08:21 PM
If you want to get a feel for how it all began then play FF1 first. It trully is a classic. However the absolute best FF game out there is FF6. It may not have all that hyped up 3-d stuff, but it's got stunning music, memorable characters, a trully wonderful story, and remarkable gameplay.

After playing one of those two, I would defiently play the other old-school (pre FF7) before continuing in with the new school. You may want to hold FF2 and FF8 last. FF2 is good, but it can aggrivate those who are new to the series with its innovative stat leveling system. FF8, in my oppinion, sucks and might make you dislike the series. Then again... you might like it.

If I were to give an order to the games to play it would be...
FF6, FF1, FF2, FF4, FF5, FF7, FF9, FF10. Play FF8 and FFX-2 only if you trully desire to. If you are really ambitous you can do like me and play FF3j by using a rom and emulator.

But by all means, have fun with the series, decide for yourself which one you like and which ones you don't, and if you need any help, ask away.

/Ifrit/
02-02-2005, 08:58 PM
Thanks for your advice again, mythus :)

Braindead_Paul
02-02-2005, 11:14 PM
I think you'll have to find out for yourself. While mythus didn't like FFVIII, I really enjoyed it and recommend playing it. So it's hard to say which order would be best. As long as graphics aren't very important to you, it doesn't matter that much which one you play first. They're all great games and it's up to you which ones you like...

rubah
02-02-2005, 11:49 PM
How many of these have you played? You say you have them, but have you played them to completion?)

Do it scientifically. You lack the following:

ff1, ff2, ff3, ff4, ff5, ff6, ff8, ff9, ff10-2, FFT-A, FF11, FFMQ

and probably some others. but we'll ignore them.

I'd vote for ignoring ff11 and MQ.

You might as well emulate the first six. I played them in a very strange order, myself, (5, 10, 4, 10-2, 8, 6, 9, 7, 2). I'd reccomend saving ff6 (ff7 if you haven't finished it yet) for last. For two reasons:
Either:
You like it, and then it's 'saving the best for last!!!11', and that way you might have already formed happy memories of 8 (. . .or 9.) so you won't be as likely to be drawn into the 'omg 8 sucks!' camp.
Or--
You hate it, and well, you've already played games you didn't hate, and it's not so bad:)

Since you've [probably?] played ff10, you might want to do 10-2 next, so the story is still in your mind. This also goes in the 'make happy memories while you can^_^ before you're corrupted!' list.
and more or less just any order really.

I don't buy the 'omg, 3-d ruins the 2-d flavor!!!' Maybe it's because I like making low resolution graphics and am immune to it, or because I just happened to play ff5 first (and then 10 though) So I don't think it's an issue.
(one thing I liked about ff2 was the neatness of frioniel, maria and guy's sprites^_^)

But if you just want our opinions as to which are best, I'd say ff8 is at the top:)

ff8, ff10, ff6, ff7, ff5, ffx-2, ff9, ff4

Just pick a few (with emulation, the first six are by far the easiest to get) and start spiraling out.
(and form your own opinions. It's not necessary to adore Celes or to loathe ff8 or think that ff9 was boring.)

/Ifrit/
02-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Yeah, I dont care about graphics. Aslong as the gameplay is good, thats all that matters. I did play FFX and I beat it, I am currently at the Cave of Gi in FF7 (disc 1). I just emulated FF1 and FF5 and I both love them! My friend also let me borrow a demo of FF8 and I can say I love that one aswell. So I guess im gonna buy FF8 next. I couldent find a rom of FF6, but im definately gonna get Anthology because I really like FF5 (alot of ppl told me is was a bad game, but I really like it). I made another thread about DoS, so I am gonna get that one aswell. I just dont know about FF4, FF9, and FF X-2. And I also dont know how I should get them (the order), but I will definately get 8 first! :p

ShivaBlizzard8
02-03-2005, 03:55 AM
I totally second the FF5 rocks! Everyone said it waas bad, but I loved it, as well and 6, 8, 9, 10. . . all of them. You sound like me - someone who likes all the FF games for their own merits, in which case, I'd advise you to play whatever one you feel like next. I've played them completely out of any sensical order (8, 5, 9, 7, 1, 6, 10, 10-2, 2. . . ) and it hasn't effected my opinion in any way I can see. My only reccomendation is playing FFX and FFX-2 together, just because they actually do go together. Have fun!

RedCydranth
02-03-2005, 05:51 PM
It reallt doesnt matter what order you play the FFs in. As long as you play X before X-2.

You have 7, X and T. You just emulated 1 and 5. Thats a LOT of gameplay right there. I'd complete each of those before starting in on 8.

Beat 7, it'll take a while but its well worth it. Then move into Tactics. theres minor linking between 7 and T so, that may be the next best to play. After you rule Tactics play out X. That won't take that long, but you can get caught up in the monster creations and area conquests. All in all a good game. Its not neccessary to play X-2 directly after X bacause its not that great of a game. You have 1 and 5, which are both old school. Take 1 first and play that. After going throught 7, T and X you'll realize that this game is definitely different and yet similar. Playing the roots of this series made me love the FF series even more. Once done with 1, play 5 (if at any time you can pick up Origins, Chronicles and Anthology, do so. Warning: DoS is not the original 1 and 2, they are doctored to be like more modern RPGs. IMO they made 1 worse, but 2 better.) After your play through of Tactics you have a great understanding of Job systems and FF5 will not be at all confusing. The game is well done.

After that play whatever game you have next. If you got Origins, play 2. If you got Anthology, Play 6 (and if you are sick of all the FF, Crono Trigger is an awesome game) If you have Chronicles, play FF4.

If you are in the mood, FF8, 9 or X-2 are all still fun games but once you get the old school games and the better of the modern games out of the way it may be downhill. 6 and X-2 aren't my favorites, thats for sure, but like someone said, and you inferred, 8 might be your cup of tea. Actually I think if you want to enjoy 8, play that right after FFT Go 7,T,8,X,1,5 then mix and match the rest.

By the time all of this gameplay is done FF12 will be out and pick that up. I got a good feeling about that game. I've seen trailers and my spine tingles.

ljkkjlcm9
02-03-2005, 05:55 PM
my opinion is, play whichever you want, but play them all eventually. I think they are all amazing in their own way. A lot of people complain about FFVIII, and I find with that game you either love it or hate it, few people think it's just ok. I liked, in fact I like them all, but maybe I'm biased because the first game I ever played was FFI...

THE JACKEL

/Ifrit/
02-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks for your advice everyone! :p

Trumpet Thief
02-04-2005, 04:25 AM
chaos: Play them all for yourself. Don't let anyone elses' opinion change how you will enjoy the game. There's at least one thing great about each game, although all have a few flaws.

Trowa: If you need a specific title though, VI and IV are my favorites. *Sits and stares and sits and stares*

Angelz*and*Emoz
02-23-2005, 05:24 PM
get x-2!!!!!!!!!! :)

Ichimonji
02-23-2005, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I say just randomly pick one that you don't have.

Angelz*and*Emoz
02-24-2005, 11:55 PM
get.....X....-2!!!!!!!!!!*slaps* heheh, uh......sorry about that.

Ryth
02-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Final Fantasy IX the great story, turn-based battle system, and all that stuff its an awesome purchase and Final Fantasy Origions with remakes of Final Fantasy I the first in this awesome series and Final Fantasy II this is the first American appearence of FFII so its great for that too and it has cool new extras!

Gunblades
02-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi, collect whatevers cheapest first.

rubah
02-25-2005, 11:11 PM
ffix. . .turn based. . .

Sounds about the right speed there.

wouldn't call it an 'awesome purchase' though.

ScottNUMBERS
03-05-2005, 12:38 AM
get them all!! :D