PDA

View Full Version : FF:Dos or FF:O?

/Ifrit/
02-02-2005, 07:06 PM
Im a new FF fan. Ive played FF7 and FF10, so I know what this series is all about. Now I want to get the rest of the games and my first thought is getting them in order of their release date. So first, im planning to get I & II. My first question is, what version should I get, Origins or Dawn of Souls? I dont really care about the extra dungeons, so that wont matter on the chance of me getting DoS. Origins is like 25$ less than DoS, so I am really thinking on getting Origins. But coming to mind is the difficulty level. Like I said, im a new FF fan and I sort of want an easyer type FF game to get the overall feel of it. So for those who have played both, what is the easier version? Also, what game has better graphics? If the graphics are both the same, I will probly get Origins, but just to make sure. So can anyone answer my questions?

Yuffie514
02-02-2005, 07:26 PM
get 'em both ;) . FFO is a great game though :D .

mythus
02-02-2005, 08:26 PM
Eh I would go with Origins. It is a direct translation so you would get a better feel of how the series developed and what drove many of us to the series. As for difficulty, FF1 in Origins has a setting for easy or hard. The original FF1 wwas only set in hard, so that may help you abit. FF: DoS chaged several things with how both games played. It may be easier to you or harder to you, but if you trully desire to explore the greatness of these games get Origins.

/Ifrit/
02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks for your advice, mythus :)

Craig
02-02-2005, 09:03 PM
On the other hand DoS is portable, and I didn't think O was a direct translation.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Origins Better translation than the NES version
Opening FMVs for both games
Almost-orchestral-quality music
Complete bestiary for all the monsters you've fought
Extensive Amano art galleries for both gamesDawn of Souls Better translation than Origins
Impressive graphics that are comparable to those in Origins
Amazingly high-quality music, considering it's the GBA
Complete bestiary
Extremely extensive all-new dungeons for both games, in which dozens of new enemies can be fought and dozens of new items can be acquired
It's portable, if you care about that kind of thing.So, yeah. Get both.

Destai
02-02-2005, 11:50 PM
I think Dawn of souls wins. What really makes origins look good is the FMV's and theres other solutions to seeing them.

RedCydranth
02-02-2005, 11:51 PM
It can be said of any game that gets remade. Play the original first. Since FF: Origins is closest to the original NES games, go with that, after you have enjoyed them get DoS and play the game over with the newer features.

Me? I'm not getting DoS because I don't see the point in buying a game twice with such little difference. I prefer FF1's original style of magic and FF2's abusive system. Origins is my vote.

Dragoon Kain
02-03-2005, 02:17 AM
get origons and then just download dawn of souls on an emulator for the extra dungeons.

Rase
02-03-2005, 06:48 AM
get origons and then just download dawn of souls on an emulator for the extra dungeons.

Yeah, cause downloading a ROM without the original game ISN'T ILLEGAL AT ALL. :rolleyes2

Anyway, since you said you wanted something,easier, and since you have played newer FF's, I'd have to say get DoS. The unique magic style of FFI is replaced with the MP style of future games, so that will be more familiar.

Flashback007
02-03-2005, 10:10 AM
I would say, get DoS. And maybe download the orignal NES-one with the the ROM. Cause that is also a cool one.

DarkLadyNyara
02-03-2005, 02:58 PM
I'd say get DOS. The leveling system on II is much easier.

feioncastor
02-03-2005, 03:45 PM
Well, if you want to play Final Fantasy 1, I recommend buying Final Fantasy 1. No Origins, no DoS, just the original Final Fantasy 1.

But Origins is closer to the original than DoS is. DoS is too easy. If you could beat 7, you'll laugh at how easy DoS is. Origins has a setting for easy and hard. The original NES cart was only hard, so the easy type is a big difference.

Myself? I like a challenge, and Origins easy type and DoS aren't challenging. They're way too easy.

To understand what the series is all about, you'll need to play FF1 for the NES. There will never be a remake that can recreate that magic. It happens once and once only.

Likewise for the other FF games. FF6 is my personal favorite, followed by FFT followed by FF7. The originals are always more magical and charming than any newer remakes. Trust me. I've been playing these games since 1991.

It's unfortunate that you started FF games on the PS gen, though. The older ones are mostly better, except 7, which is a friggin masterpiece. But after 7, they kinda lost their magic because they focused too much on graphics and forgot about the other aspects of the game. FF4 and FF6 had AWFUL graphics, compared to today's standard. But they still were awesome, fun, cool, and entirely replayable. I've played both so many times I've lost count. I certainly hope you enjoy FF1, no matter what version you play. But I hope even more that you play the original so that you can experience the magic that the rest of us experience way back when. Good luck, it's a pretty tough game. If you do play the original, don't expect to rush through it. It's kinda tedious and time consuming, but still incredible nonetheless.

Feion

Sefie1999AD
02-03-2005, 04:23 PM
FF1 Origins was a great remake, and I especially liked the high-quality music, though I didn't like the translation style, and the gameplay just didn't feel as smooth, fast and fun as it was in NES or WSC. FF1 DoS is just as great as FF Origins, and while it lacks an FMV (which has hardly anything to do with the storyline anyway) and doesn't have top-quality audio, the game still looks and sounds impressive, and the music quality is high. I also prefer DoS' translation to Origins', and it stays more loyal to the original FF1. "I, Garland, will knock you all down!" FF1 DoS' gameplay is faster, and the system is more user-friendly. If you're a new player, FF1 DoS is quite an easy game so you should be fine with it, though for those looking for a challenge, FF1 Origins has the choice of Easy and Normal difficulty.

If it was for FF2, I'd definitely go with the DoS version. The translation issue is the same as with FF1, I prefer the DoS translation. The same for gameplay, the system in FF2 DoS is a lot more user-friendly and more fun than in PSX. Leveling up spells is absolutely tedious in PSX. If you're new to FFs, FF2 PSX is a very hard game and it doesn't let you select the difficulty. FF2 DoS doesn't let you select it either, but the game seems easier.

To see more comparison between different FF1 & 2 versions, check this thread. (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53538) Have fun with whichever game you choose to buy.

Citizen Bleys
02-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Get FF1 for NESticle and cheat with FFEdit :)

If I ever fixed that. I think it stopped working about 3 years ago.

I plan to fix it tomorrow.

DJZen
02-03-2005, 05:18 PM
Ive played FF7 and FF10, so I know what this series is all about.

No offense or anything, but if those are the only two games you've played, I'd have to say you don't really know what the series is all about. FFVI and beyond really went in a much more cinematic direction and kind of strayed from its dungeon crawling roots. Not that I'm trying to start a flame war, I love FFVIII and FFX, but if FFVII and FFX are the only games you've played, you're really going to be shocked when you play FFI and II. My personal prefernce for FFO or FFDoS changes depending on my mood, and I often prefer the 8-bit versions, but I'd say if you're more used to the newer games, then DEFINITELY buy FFDoS. You'll probably beat both games in about a week. If you like them enough and want to see the originals, THEN you should get FFO. Otherwise, FFO might actually put you off to the earlier games. I can't reccomend playing the 8-bit versions until you're a little more used to that style of gameplay (turn based combat, non-cinematic visuals, minimal story & character development, etc.).

Dragonfire
02-03-2005, 09:17 PM
being a nostalgic gamer i prefer the NES/Famicom version. I bought origins and liked it, I've been thinking of getting DoS, whenever I get the money. I really wanna play it, caus I'm very curious about all the dungeon and item additions. from what i've heard here on this forum it seems worth it to buy. unforutunately I don't have a GBA anymore :rolleyes2