PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning of the Name

Phil
02-03-2005, 03:20 AM
I have various screen names in various places, but have you ever stopped to think about what your screen name truly means? So many times I see people with 666 sn's and dont realize what it truly means. Some of them do- anyways- some people have representations or quotes in their screen names. LIke my I.M. screen name- well 2 of them
RagnarokCO6- which stands for Ragnarok, the norwegian doomsday, and RedOneSnyper, which is my grandfather's redgiment in Korea- the Red One. So what does your screen name stand for?

Giga Guess
02-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Guess came form the first time I went online and tried signing into a forum and everything was taken. Finally I got fed up, and put in Guess...it worked and it stuck.

As for the "Giga" part, soon after the big wipe, I went perusing metric prefixes, and saw "Giga." It sounded right, and I tacked it on...

Del Murder
02-03-2005, 03:27 AM
My name could mean:

A proclamation of Del's intent to murder, or that Del just murdered, either way with very poor grammar.

A murder invloving a Del. Since this is Eyeson, it would likely be Snizz. It does not specify Del's specific invlovement in the murder.

Finally, my personal favorite: 'Of the Murder'

SomethingBig
02-03-2005, 03:33 AM
Chunkin - It's inappropriate for the forums.
Big - Inside joke from when I was in 8th grade.
Time - It fits in perfectly with the first 2 words. It adds the "pazazz".

SomethingBig - For the big part, look above. This was originally a random username that I wasn't really planning on using, but the name was catchy, so I decided to stick with it.

Rusty
02-03-2005, 03:41 AM
Mine stands for a surfbrand. That's all. Just a surfbrand :)

Shlup
02-03-2005, 03:42 AM
My screen name doesn't mean anything at all.

Yamaneko
02-03-2005, 04:25 AM
It's Japanese for yams.

Samuraid
02-03-2005, 04:32 AM
Samuraid came from the fact that I wanted to get Samurai DBoy on DeviantArt, but DA doesn't allow spaces in usernames.

Samurai DBoy came from an attempted mix of samurai and a Tekkaman Blade 2 character. I guess that's how it came about.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-03-2005, 04:53 AM
Mine is Yiddish for "Rockstar"

Miriel
02-03-2005, 05:03 AM
It's Chandler Bing's middle name.

Oh wait...that would be Muriel. Guess I made a typo.

strawberryman
02-03-2005, 05:05 AM
Well... I think mine is... A business in Canada, that happens to show up at the Winnepeg Folk Festival,(GO! It is the best time ever! They have great food!) which I did'nt notice until a guy started handing out strawberries during a concert. :laughing: A quote from one of the band players at the said time-

"Holy S***"
ever since then i've gone with the whole strawberry shtick.

Sean
02-03-2005, 05:24 AM
Mine is Sean for Cid. ;)

Strider
02-03-2005, 05:40 AM
http://www.vgfreak.com/images/favgames/Strider_Hiryu.jpg

This guy. The greatest video game hero ever. At least in my opinion. :D

o_O
02-03-2005, 06:54 AM
Mine came about as a result of learning to script in various web languages, whilst attempting to get assistance from various people who weren't very good at explaining things on IRC. :p

Xander
02-03-2005, 10:32 AM
It means nothing, it's just my screenname.

Meat Puppet
02-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Mine basically just explains the differences between each ends of the universe.

Resha
02-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Mine's the name of a DEAD person. Morbid, eh? Oooh well, at least she's only an anime dead person. <3

Rye
02-03-2005, 11:42 AM
I used to be Rikkuyuna89 but in #eoff BoB called be "Rye" one day and I was like "What?" and he said it was an abbreviation so it caught on. Then I changed my name. :D

Citizen Bleys
02-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Mine means I'm not an immigrant.

Pure Strife
02-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Mine means I have no imagination.

DarkLadyNyara
02-03-2005, 03:20 PM
A friend of mine has called me Nyara for the past 6 years (Loooong story), and the Dark Lady was added because I like the way it sounded.(plus, I'd recently heard a song by that name and it kinda stuck) :cool:

fire_of_avalon
02-03-2005, 04:15 PM
I agree with Xander. :p

Ok. It's a fire. And it's in Avalon. And it has some kind of specific representation or something.

Silmaril
02-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Silmaril is a jewel i my favo book of Tolkien's (Silmarillion).

Sepho
02-03-2005, 04:35 PM
I made it up four years ago, in a matter of seconds, off the top of my head, for a forum (the first forum I ever visited, when I didn't even know what they were) where I didn't intend to stay for more than five minutes.

I've still yet to use anything else, which makes me wish I really put more thought into a screen name I'll likely be stuck with forever. I've thought about changing it many times, but the longer I use it, the harder it is to establish yourself under a different identity.

I didn't think about the way it sounded when I signed up for my first forum; I just threw together a few random letters. It took me literally about ten seconds.

'S', 'E', 'P', and 'H' are the four letters of the first half of the name of Final Fantasy VII's main villian, Sephiroth.
'Z', and 'O' and the first two letters of Zophar, the main villain of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. The first 'o' was thrown in because it made the two parts transition slightly better, and the alternating punctuation is present because it was all the rage during the time, and I was hip and cool. :cool:

m4tt
02-03-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm some kind of giant brain.

Cz
02-03-2005, 05:15 PM
A nation with no monarch, inhabited principally by the Czechs.

Rainecloud
02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
It describes my favourite type of weather quite well.

That's about it, really.

boris no no
02-03-2005, 06:45 PM
i once caught a REALLY big spider and shouted at my sister "BORIS NO NOS GOING TO GET YOU" and chased her around the house...i have no idea why it was boris no no. i guess it looked like a boris, where the no no came from is anyones guess!
i started using it as my email and it gradually spread to my net name! :love:

Necronopticous
02-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Mine means "Long and hard to pronounce" in pseudo-English

Destai
02-03-2005, 06:52 PM
Mines just a story I made up.

Leeza
02-03-2005, 07:08 PM
It's just my name.

Psychotic
02-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Mine means I have problems relating to society and people, so I have a tendency to brutally murder them.

...haha, I never thought of it like that. Man that's sweet.

Kossage
02-03-2005, 07:58 PM
My screen name is just a bizarre English-type form of my Finnish nickname Kössi. I did find out that 'kossage' means something else too, though, but the original intention was just to make up some random word that sounded cool. :p

mythus
02-03-2005, 08:43 PM
Mine is thebackdrop and setting of the game I am attemp0ting to make. I came up with the name in 1996, looking for a name for a mythical, fantasy world. Looking in the dictionairy I found the word mythos, which means basically the mythology of one's culture, place. Well I changed the o to a u and got Mythus. Unfortunately in 1999 I found out that Mythus is the name of an already published game and have been trying to talke a deal to use said word in my product.

Cz
02-03-2005, 09:09 PM
i once caught a REALLY big spider and shouted at my sister "BORIS NO NOS GOING TO GET YOU" and chased her around the house...i have no idea why it was boris no no. i guess it looked like a boris, where the no no came from is anyones guess!
i started using it as my email and it gradually spread to my net name! :love:Boris the Spider might be a The Who reference. Now that song's going to pop up in my head whenever I see your screen name. :p

Little Miss Awesome
02-03-2005, 09:52 PM
I got my name because Pschotic chose it for me and everyone voted for it!
When I get my Thingy under my name it's going to say
"Hey Buddy, What's The French For Little Miss Awesome?"
:D
Ps, how long till I get the priviledge to do that?

Craig
02-03-2005, 10:00 PM
8 months from your joining date I believe, and mine is a dinosaur made of jelly.

Spritz
02-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Spritz; To squirt or spray (something) quickly.

I suppose it could have a sexual connotation.

Psychotic
02-03-2005, 10:26 PM
I got my name because Pschotic chose it for me and everyone voted for it!Oh, that Pschotic! Whatever will he do next? :p

Cz
02-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Hey, it's not her fault your name is stupid. :p

Little Miss Awesome
02-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Oh, that Pschotic! Whatever will he do next? :p
Just because I can't spell Pschotic doesn't mean I didn't mean you!
I don't like you anyway! You told me you were a girl! :mad2:
Just Kidding, your fab, but I think I'll just call u P :D

XxSephirothxX
02-03-2005, 10:35 PM
My username comes from a fantasy novel I wrote in the 6th grade. The main character was an elf named Azar. Sixth Grade people!! Anyway, it was the best thing to come out of the story. Guess I'm just partial to it. I use it on just about everything. Sometimes I use the name killertomatoguy, based on a zany comic strip I drew about three years ago.

Mindflare
02-03-2005, 10:53 PM
My name comes from the Final Fantasy (Tactics, in my case) monster, a mere mistranslation of "Mindflayer." Note all the flaying I do. I once had the urge to change my name to something a little less generic, but I figured that this is how everyone knows me, and that's how everyone will remember me (if they remember me at all. Heh.). Works for me.

Psychotic
02-03-2005, 11:04 PM
I don't like you anyway! You told me you were a girl! :mad2: But I am a girl...I'm just trapped in the body of a man... :cry: :rolleyes2

And yeah, whatever you say, Czanthor.

Kirobaito
02-03-2005, 11:07 PM
Well, one day I decided that I would stop using dumb forum names like "Sephiroth1-25857" and stuff. So I decided to do something to "Bahamut" other than add numbers, and my some strange sequence of events, I ended up with "King Bahamut." That stayed with me, for over three years, until June of 2004. I finally got bored with it, because, I dunno. Munty was using his random Japanese-English translator, and one day I put in "KB" into it and came out with "Kirobaito." I didn't even know that "kirobaito" means "kilobyte." So yeah.

Mindflare
02-03-2005, 11:15 PM
Well, one day I decided that I would stop using dumb forum names like "Sephiroth1-25857" and stuff.
I once used the name BircGuest-59102936 in chat. I'm insulted.
And what's worse, on FFChat's server, I'd get banned for using it. ;_;

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-04-2005, 12:53 AM
Welll, mine may lack creativity but What the heck? I love Leviathan summon from FFT. I love Summoners too! So therefore I came with the uncreative The Summoner of Leviathan.

theundeadhero
02-04-2005, 01:09 AM
Well undead because I'm not alive, but I'm not dead. At least, I'm not dead anymore, for the most part. Hero, because I'm a hero, suppossedly. THE, umm... because. Just becuase.

o_O
02-04-2005, 01:39 AM
I once used the name BircGuest-59102936 in chat. I'm insulted.
And what's worse, on FFChat's server, I'd get banned for using it. ;_;

:o Why would you use bIRC?
I'm probably still banned from that. For <b>no reason</b>. Just like half of the FFChat server. :p

Mindflare
02-04-2005, 03:02 AM
BeyondIRC's NickServ gave me that name. ;_;

=Angelus=
02-05-2005, 03:18 PM
=Angelus=
it the name of a prayer
they used it in ragnarok

and i found out recently that theres a site www.angelus.org , giving prizes for movie directors who add good morals to their movies

anyway... Angelus is a pretty overused username in some places... so i think you'll find me as Angelust at other places :D

Awrini
02-05-2005, 03:28 PM
No, I'm not gonna tell you what it means, but I will tell you it means something.

DJZen
02-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Mine's just my former DJ name. The one I used before I found out it was actually taken by a british Jungle DJ and a Canadian Psy-Trance DJ. I no longer use the name while spinning out, but it's what people here know me by.

CloudSquallandZidane
02-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Mines actually an anagram for Citizen Bleys... U wouldnt know it by looking at the letters or rearranging them to say Citizen Bleys either, though.

Denmark
02-05-2005, 08:50 PM
DENMARK:

A country, north of Germany.
Population: 5,397,640
Area: 43,094 km²
Official language: Danish
Capital: Copenhagen
Largest City: Copenhagen
Monarch: Margrethe II
Prime Minister: Anders Fogh Rasmussen

source: www.wikipedia.org

nik0tine
02-05-2005, 08:52 PM
It's just a distorted representation of my real name, which just so happens to be Nick.

Fate Fatale
02-05-2005, 08:57 PM
I thought of it at Black Mage Inc. Forums (Rest in peace). I wanted blackmage, but then I say this really cool avatar and I said "tha tould look cool if I reverted the colors!" so I did i and said... "hmm he looks like a new kind of black mage... With armor and all" and then I thought of NewBlackMage...

The New Kid
02-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Mine's the name of a Finch song (titled "New Kid"). I had bought the EP which had the song on it just before I started a new school. Incidentally, this has nothing to do with how I came up with the name.

I entered a chatroom and called myself "TheNewKid", just to see how many flames I would get (I got plenty...). After a few years on other forums, I put spaces in between the words, and I've gone by this name ever since. It was only after a year that I bought the Finch EP and realized it was a song title.

Madonna
02-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Source of my name: The Metal Gear Name Generator (http://www.cloudspace.com/goodies/mgsnamegen/). Be a member of FOXHOUND, baby. :| It stuck since it was far cooler than miniaturegiantspacehamster. Yes, I used to go by that on the Polykarbon forums, ages ago.

Raistlin
02-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I plugged "Raistlin Majere" into that thing and got "Genius Hippopotamus." xD

Wuggly Blight
02-07-2005, 04:37 PM
Wuggly is my in real life nickname (it means ugly :cry: ) And blight is a inside joke between me and a few friends on a game we made (that was never finished) Its a form of plague and whenever we couldnt be bothered to make an inside we would just stick and NPC outside and have them say "These people have blight!"

DMKA
02-07-2005, 04:38 PM
DMKA = devilmaykickass = Devil May Kick Ass = Knockoff of Devil May Cry. :eek:

*waits for edczxcvbnm to post*