PDA

View Full Version : Was FF9 too much fantasy

Gunblades
02-03-2005, 12:43 PM
It seems that the trend set by seven continued through all the FF's except 9, which appeared heavily fantasy. I may be wrong but from alot of people i know FF9 seems the odd one out and one of the least liked.

Was there too much fantasy in FF9 :p

personally i feel so, but there were still plenty of things i liked

m4tt
02-03-2005, 02:51 PM
There is nothing wrong with a lot of fantasy. It is Final Fantasy after all. Not Final Reality. If anything Final Fantasy VIII didn't have enough fantasy.

RedCydranth
02-03-2005, 05:24 PM
I thought FF9 was one of the better games because it was so unlike reality, but yet in their realm it was all possible and believable.

It seems that the trend set by seven continued through all the FF's except 9

Exactly what trend? the only trend that follows your analysis is the badness trend. 7=awesome, 8= bad, X = bad, X-2 = horrible. The only one not in that decline is 9 where 9 = pretty decent.

Not to knock X, but it was a fun game and was VERY entertaining and had a cool story, but it was too short and too sidequest driven.

So your answer? FF9 is fine, noit too much fantasy at all.

Destai
02-03-2005, 05:41 PM
I didnt like the medieval theme, there was too much of it though I loved the game.

Trumpet Thief
02-03-2005, 05:43 PM
chaos: All Final Fantasies were good someway, but when compared to others, are bashed way too much. Too much Fantasy? Yes, that's what made it a great game. FFIV had too much Fantasy, as did V, VI. They all had a ton of fantasy one way. FFX-2 had "too much" fantasy as well, with people from a thousand years ago constantly travelling around.

Rubedo: I loved FFIX. People from different races working together :D

boris no no
02-03-2005, 07:26 PM
me being the bitter person i am i hate it when people say
"why is FFIX not the same as normal FFs like FFVII?"
its a really silly thing to say!! (sorry)
FFVII was brillient but as with all of them, very different!
FFIX is like FFV and FFVI (in a way) but very fantasy!

sorry i ranted

i love FFIX! its the best!

DJZen
02-03-2005, 07:40 PM
A Final Fantasy game having too much fantasy? Is such a thing even possible?

DrkFenix912
02-03-2005, 08:19 PM
I mean really, everyone should know that ff9's purpose was to make a tribute to the roots of final fantasy, which means it's SUPPOSED to have a lot of fantasy.

A Final Fantasy game having too much fantasy? Is such a thing even possible?

of course not!! i mean just look at the name people, "final fantasy", get it? final FANTASY "!!! :mad:

Black Chocobo
02-03-2005, 08:25 PM
I don't believe that any Final Fantasy game could ever have too much Fantasy. Finaly Fantasy IX may have been a bit too cartooney, but it had a(n) excellent story line. For that, I am not ashamed of playing it. However, they could have left Ozma out of the game, but than again what would be a challenge without a few "hidden" bosses like Hades, Ozma, etc? So, there never is a game that has too much Fantasy to be a Fantasy game.

Did you think any different of Square-Enix (Presently Squaresoft) at the release of FF Tactics, no and I hope not.

Fantasy by definition means: The creative imagination (a.) Fiction characterized by highly fanciful or supernatural elements.

So whoever's imagination thought up the realm of Final Fantasy is a master in the art of Fantasy, and they will live in my Heart and hopefully everyone in this forums also.

Hironobu Sakaguchi will be remembered when he is gone..

Off-topic..Did anyone know that he was inducted into the Hall of Fame by the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences?

Just a bit of news I thought I would share

Gunblades
02-03-2005, 10:17 PM
ok, it seems alot of people didnt understand my point so i will try to put it another way.

Fantasy is classically goblins and trolls, medieval or period setting, style and clothing with minimal technology, such as Dragonlance or tolkien.

FF7, 8, 10 and X2 all possed a future'istic feel and design/look. Certainly 9 had airships and industry, but it was really underdeveloped and heavily overshadowed by magic and period, it had returned much more to the grass roots of fantasy in almost every way.

Im not saying this is bad, im saying that 9 was very Fantasy driven and stands out from the other FF's, in my opinion.

Theres other things that made this game bottom of my list, but then i feel it has some of the best FMV of the FF's and it has the best character ever, the four armed bandit.

Online here it's easy to get similar oppinions, but i know alot of FF fans who never visit these sites and didnt like FF9.

Black Chocobo
02-03-2005, 10:42 PM
~and~ I am not saying you did say it was bad!

DocFrance
02-04-2005, 02:49 AM
"Fantasy" is anything that is not mundane. Star Wars has just as much "fantasy" as Lord of the Rings, just as FF7 has just as much "fantasy" as FF9.

aelc
02-04-2005, 04:35 AM
i dont really understand why people hate 9 :/ its deffinatley one of my favorites in the series.

Xander
02-04-2005, 11:24 AM
There is nothing wrong with a lot of fantasy. It is Final Fantasy after all. Not Final Reality. If anything Final Fantasy VIII didn't have enough fantasy.

Sums up what I was about to say. I love FFIX the most, and largely because it has so many elements that really define "fantasy" for me.

Itsunari 2000
02-04-2005, 03:24 PM
FF9 is my personal favourite - though I understand what people are saying when they say " too much " fantasy that's the point , the medieval theme was intended as a tribute to the entire series by returning to it's origins. I think FF9's lack of popularity within much of the established FF fanbase is due to being over-familiar with the futuristic outlook and " feel " of it's two predecessors , so they were rather alienated from the medieval theme of 9. However it's a great game that I'd rank as probably one of the most outstanding in the entire series ...

And yeah , the Four-Armed Bandit was cool ,but Amarant would beat him hands down !:)

ShivaBlizzard8
02-04-2005, 05:55 PM
Final Fantasy 9 doesn't stand out from the others - it just broke the more "futuristic trend of FF7, FF8, FF10, etc., and returned to the more medieval, magic-based worlds of the older Final Fantasies, like FF5.

Square did this on purpose, because FF9 was supposed to be a "tribute" of sorts to the entire FF series since it was FF's swansong on the original PSX before the series moved to the PS2. Therefore, the game's medieval settings and job classes returned to the series' roots (like the 4 character party), and a lot of references to the earlier games (character names, like Garland, oblique references, like Zidane talking about a "spiky haired guy" when he finds Cloud's sword at a weapon shop). So its not "more" Fantasy, so much as its a conglamoration of everything Final Fantasy.

And its much too underappreciated, IMHO. Great game. :)

Desert Merchant
02-04-2005, 08:41 PM
I think 9 is a perfect mix between the old ones like 5 & 6 and the new ones like 7 & 8 personally I thought 9 was a interesting game

DJZen
02-05-2005, 03:27 AM
Fantasy is classically goblins and trolls, medieval or period setting, style and clothing with minimal technology, such as Dragonlance or tolkien.

That's a specific style of fantasy, usually called "swords and sorcery".

FF7, 8, 10 and X2 all possed a future'istic feel and design/look.

Yes, that's another style of fantasy, usually referred to as "cyberpunk". See: Shadowrun or Blade Runner.

Certainly 9 had airships and industry, but it was really underdeveloped and heavily overshadowed by magic and period, it had returned much more to the grass roots of fantasy in almost every way. Im not saying this is bad, im saying that 9 was very Fantasy driven and stands out from the other FF's, in my opinion.

So what you're saying is that because the game was more like the majority of the series it stands out? I'm confused... You have to realize, FFVII, VIII and X are the exceptions to the rule. FFI-VI, IX, and XI were of the "swords and sorcery" style that defined the series initially, and now it looks like XII will be as well.

In essence, the game's called Final FANTASY for a reason. I feel that accusing it of being too fantasy based is akin to accusing the Supoerbowl of being too football based.

P.S. GO EAGLES!!!

Apple
02-05-2005, 03:44 AM
:x

The reason why I even liked FF9 was because it was so fantasmical. :'D So medieval and old....thats where all the charm in the game was. Not to mention the chibi-styled characters, but thats an entirely different topic to be discussed elsewhere. Fantasy can be good anyways....for the imagination loving. Some still prefer a more modern, all-human sort of approach. :x

Destination0
02-05-2005, 04:26 AM
It was a good game nothing against it but
I think final fantasy IX had a bit too much of a fantasy for my test...

like hero with a tail (what a waste of character), chicks with horn, he/she tribe of qu's, black mages made out of mist with eyes floating without any support, and a genius oglop designing airship/mistship, pointless and rewardless card game, and those summons destroying entire city in one hit but couldnt even kill a yan, and that nutcase while in trance destroyed entire planet but couldnt kill ur party, then there is a whole tribe of talking rats and hippos (it felt like a zoo at times), and those almost butt naked Alexanderian soldiers and as if that wasnt enough there is that queen brahne dont even know which race she was from, and that over powered invincible, etc.....
that was a bit too much of a fantasy for me....

It had its own plus points like super cool fmv's, neat AP system, decent graphics, good storyline, chocoba's treasure hunting, ozma, etc. which maks playing this game worthwhile...

but again all I am saying is it had too much of fantasy for my test...
Its just my personal opinion...
so please dont start arguing with me for that... ;)

Precious Garnet
02-05-2005, 02:04 PM
I love how it was a medieval time period and the places and music were breathtaking. I consider FF9 to be one of the best game of the series. It always makes me laugh. I can't believe not many people liked it. *upsetting*

DJZen
02-05-2005, 08:09 PM
I think the main character just wasn't emo enough for 'em.

DrkFenix912
02-05-2005, 11:23 PM
i think zidane was the ONLY main character in the whole series that WASNT a warrior type class.

Del Murder
02-06-2005, 01:04 AM
I don't think it was too much. Both the mideval and futuristic settings are fine by me. I wasn't a big fan of Spira, though. I thought it was a pretty boring world.

shippu
02-06-2005, 03:34 AM
all the final fantasies have too much fantasy to them...if you look at it. your party could be shot yet a simple drink would heal them in a matter of seconds, hugh giant machines could fall to the strike of a sword or dagger...

yet these are all the things that make every final fantasy what they are so in a way they all have too much fantasy in them but its for a better good

Quina
02-06-2005, 07:02 AM
mmmmm this porrige was just right!

boris no no
02-07-2005, 02:02 PM
it was just right! :love: i love this game so much!

I think the main character just wasn't emo enough for 'em.
too true!

i think zidane was the ONLY main character in the whole series that WASNT a warrior type class.
in this newer ones. terra was a mage (to start with)

Levian
02-07-2005, 02:29 PM
FFX and FFX-2 is the most fantasy revolved FF's, in my opinion. What I liked about FF9 was the medieval theme.

cal113
02-07-2005, 06:56 PM
right i'm gonna go on a little rant here - personally i think ffix i one of the best ff's made - second to ffvii - while the game was in production one of the crew (forget who) said that they brought the game back to the roots because it was the last game before it entered double digits! now ffvii set a standard that was gonna be very hard to overcome even for square, which i think is why ffviii fell short of the mark - it didnt have any atmoshere, feeling, nothing remarkabley groundbreaking in contrast - its ending sucked - so predictable ( the part with squall and riona kissing - could see it coming a mile away ) and on the whole i didnt find it enjoyable at all - ffix on the other hand captured the imagination again - i remember playing through it on my first play - it was so colourful and flambouyant and truely atmospheric - i loved each of the different societies and their cultures and in fairness to sqaure they created a totally believable and structured universe - the music score honed the feeling of each location - i loved it -

black
02-08-2005, 11:09 AM
i agree of what i have played of ff9, at the moment i think that it is really good. Too much fantasy in a game that has a title final fantasy would be very hard to explain why u think it has to much fantasy in it. I personaly like the medevil theme of the game, true the summons power that can destroy a whole city one minute and then become really weak the next is a bit annoying at times but hey what u going to do.

amratis
02-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm about to get my IX in the mail from eBay. I'm sure there cant be 'too much' fantasy in it, hopefully it will be a great game expierence. I'm looking forward to seeing if it really does 'get back to the roots' of the earlier FF's

amra

Rini
02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I've liked both the futuristic and the medieval style in the Final Fantasies I've played. They're both a good style, but in a different way of course :P

Personally I didn't like FF9 as the best of the series, but it's definitely not the worse. I hated Zidane as the lead character (I think it's because of the tail... and his behaviour with women in the beginning -_-;) and Quina I think is the most meaningless character in the whole series (besides Gau of FFVI), but the other characters were good. Freya and Garnet as my favorites, not only as personalities, but in the battle as well.

And no, I don't think that FF9 has too much fantasy in it, with the exception of Zidane and his monkeytail :(

DJZen
02-14-2005, 02:17 AM
Well, Quina can be very useful, actually. Spells like white wind, mighty guard, etc. are really good, and Quina also provided the only spells that could inflict Freeze and Burn status. Not really useless.

I'd also like to mention something because I'm an obsessive compulsive freak... FFIX did NOT have a medieval setting. If anything it was more rennainsance influenced. I know, it's not a big deal or anything, I just go crazy when I see that.

ShivaBlizzard8
02-14-2005, 04:34 AM
That's true - "medieval" is more like the time to Beowulf with meadhalls and animal skin wearing and such, whereas the castles and princesses we generally think of as that time period are more Renaissance-infuenced.

Also, Quina is a very powerful character if you equip her with the best spoons and s/he has eaten enough powerful creatures. And her plotline with the Qus and how Vivi ties into them is interesting.

Plus s/he has one of the best lines in the game: “World a very simple place. World only have two things: Things you can eat and things you no can eat.” Brilliant. :)

Caesu
02-18-2005, 03:11 AM
Well I prefered FF9 more than any other so far because it maximized the escapism aspect of why we play these games....the idea of getting sucked into a very different world. Being more 'Fantasy' amplified that notion for me. Add to that a really nice story and well developed characters, with a touch of humour. FF9 is a masterpiece. And yes, I wish it never ended, but then again...I can always replay it!

Afterwards.....hey any good fanfiction anyone?

One wonders why doesnt Square publish small novels like the Forgotten Realms around the actual games....it might...just...work!

Caesu

black
02-19-2005, 10:34 AM
i agree the story of it was really good and not to many of the people got on your nerves i just wish that there was not so many of those ATE things

Wiegrahf42
02-23-2005, 03:36 AM
Nah, we needed a break from the pseudo-sci-fi expierences that were VII and VIII

Eternal Snow
02-23-2005, 08:04 AM
personally, i've played the game 3 times over~ it's not that hard, i'm sure most ppl will tell you that~ but it's story line is one of the best i've seen~ sort of made me want to keep on playing it~ 'cept that the last part of the storyline imo was abit off~ will leave you to figure out cause there's others who might not have touched the game yet~

Lucca
02-25-2005, 02:12 PM
Well, I am an SF Fan personally, but FFIX was a real treat to look at it. And when I statred playing the older FFs it made a whole lot sense more. Both settings in the FF world are great, but change is always welcome once in awhile.

kujawanabe
02-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Final Fantasy IX was my personal Final Fantasy Favorite the best of them all The castles alexandria , lindblum, Treno It had some of my most favorite cities not to mention some of the best music in the series it all worked so perfectly i don see why people didnt like it better, Probably because people got hooked on 7 and didnt want to give it a chance. I love it so much i have plans to make a movie. Square better make it cause its going to be beter even than A.C. The tail was a little odd.

:D

Xalioniaf
02-26-2005, 12:15 AM
wouldn't a trend set by FFVII and all subsequents just be that and FFVIII?

Itachi
03-11-2005, 08:58 AM
the thing about ff9 is that ff9 holds the most ff tradition between ff6-ff12, there are character names that appeared in former ffs (e.g.garland), there are all the classic jobs that appeared in the formor ffs (well not all of em) :grumble: and all these other diffrent elements, so if u ask me ff9 is with the ff1-ff5 group that was all aboot medieval fantasy, and whoever doesnt like ff9 it's either becuse he/she doesnt like the characters in the game, or becuse they never played any of the old ffs. (again my opinion, i have no right to judge) :D

qwerto
03-11-2005, 12:02 PM
My favourite things about FFIX are:

1. Its based on a medieval setting
2. Characters are of differant races which makes them more unique.
3. ATE's developed the story more... (even though there were too many...)
4. The storyline was very good.
5. Loads of Fantasy makes a Fantasy game good.
6. I really cared what happened to the characters.
7. the Villan was cunning, sly etc. and acted his plans in a play which is weird and amusing.
8. Mini games were quite fun. (I loved the chocobo!)
9. Tons of secrets, hidden everywhere.
10. Lots of magic, skill etc.
11. The destruction of places was a real turn on.
12. I really liked the multiplayer mode, it was fun playing with friends.
13. The world map was really good and planed out properly.
14. It holds the Tradition of the early ffs.
15. Memoria and the chaos guardians was truely inspiring.
16. the plot got tense at the end.
17. Quina was really helpful IF YOU LEARNT HER ABILITIES!

And the things that were rather rubbish...

1. The final boss did have meaning but not that much and people think he had nothing to do with the game.
2. Kuja revealed all his plans which was not very suprising...
3. Most of the bosses are really easy. (excluding Ozma!)
4. The Best thing Zidane could do is Attack which was a turn off... :(
5. Summons come in too late in the game.
6. It took quite a while to learn spells and magic because they come in too late in the game...

FINAL RESULT: Game is really fun if you do extra things on it, not just drag the storyline across

Itachi
03-11-2005, 03:14 PM
i totally agree qwerto exept the part that ozma is a hard boss to beat, it didnt take more than 45 mins to defeat. (im not being a show-off i just had the right equipment and no it's not game shark!!!!!!).

qwerto
03-11-2005, 03:48 PM
i totally agree qwerto exept the part that ozma is a hard boss to beat, it didnt take more than 45 mins to defeat. (im not being a show-off i just had the right equipment and no it's not game shark!!!!!!).

And would you possibly be on disk 4?
because I have completed the game without defeating Ozma.
Started a new game to do extra things i.e: chocobo treasure hunts.
and am on disk 3 with everyone around lv. 55.
Would you recommend to go to disk 4?
Because Im scared that the air garden will close because of the mist.

Itachi
03-11-2005, 04:54 PM
it wont close at all!! i mean sure it's gonna be hard to find the shadow becuse of the mist and all but geting all the extra stuff done first is wise so it's up to u.