PDA

View Full Version : Trapped Eternally...

Mindflare
02-04-2005, 04:43 AM
Lonely... it's so... lonely.

(My Laptop can't access shared resources over the network. I can't ping other computers on the network, it just times out. The internet works through it, I just can't do things like view the workgroup (MSHOME on all computers) or see others on the network. From my best knowledge, I have no firewall on my computer at the moment. Any help would be great, i'll answer any questions.)

Samuraid
02-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Probably the easiest solution is to run the network setup wizard. (that would be the first thing I could suggest without knowing more about your network)

Right click on My Network Places -> Properties. Click the "setup home or small office network" button in the left menu. Follow the steps in the wizard.

After the wizard is finished, windows will (hopefully) have added all the necessary network protocols and services, such as file and printer sharing, that are needed.

Baloki
02-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Lonely... it's so... lonely.

(My Laptop can't access shared resources over the network. I can't ping other computers on the network, it just times out. The internet works through it, I just can't do things like view the workgroup (MSHOME on all computers) or see others on the network. From my best knowledge, I have no firewall on my computer at the moment. Any help would be great, i'll answer any questions.)

Turn off XP's built in firewall, especially on SP2 as it goes over kill on local network traffic :D

Mindflare
02-05-2005, 06:11 AM
Blarg. I once tried the network connection wizard. It didn't help me at all, strangely enough. And I know I have Windows Firewall disabled. I hate that stupid thing. I'm home for the weekend, and have no access to any networks for the next few days. It'll be a while before I can troubleshoot it any more. Thankya both, though.

Leeza
02-06-2005, 12:21 AM
Is there any way to actually remove Windows Firewall? Because even though it's disabled, I still think that it does things that you don't want it to do just because it's still around somewhere in the background.

crono_logical
02-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Which is why I refuse to install SP2 on my machines :D Well, I'm sure it might be possible and Bleys would be able to tell us how, but I don't intend to install it to try and find out any time soon :p