PDA

View Full Version : Geo-stigma?

gismo
02-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Okay I'm not sure if this belongs in here or VII but reason I have chose here is because on the 2nd trailer, with the english naritor he mentions: geostigma, jenova and reunion
I have played VII and I know what Jenova and reunion is but I havent heard of Geo-stigma and wanted to know if you lovely people do?

sayen
02-04-2005, 03:12 PM
geo-stigma is a desise created by the plantet to kill jenova and anyone with jenova genes in them including cloud. they probibly find some cure in the film and finaly kill jenova and sephiroth as he shuld have it as well.

Cloud72789
02-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Yes, it is some type of disease to kill Jenova's cells. As far as I know there is no cure, and it is harmfull to anyone who has it. I don't know much about it yet, but I search the web each day to try and find new information.

Destai
02-05-2005, 01:13 AM
Why do children get it so often? It makes sense with the SHM gathering the kids in the sleeping forest and one of them (denzel) definitely had Geo-stigma, hence Jenova cells but howd he end up with jenova cells in the first place?

BackRoomKid
02-05-2005, 04:00 AM
most of the kids the SHM are from only Midgar, and most likely the side effects of the Meteor being so close to everyone gave off Jenova cells. And children are picked since they are so naive and gullible to things around them...possible theory I have

haha, that didn't really make sense but maybe someone can say the words that are trying to comout of my mouth

Shoden
02-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Geo Stigma could of been the source of that monster in the trailers as far as i can see it is NOT! a weapon probably a summon materia enfused with Geo stigma and self activated made by the SHM group with a self activation like a bomb

mutantangel
02-11-2005, 08:48 AM
Is there a possibility that Jenova cells were distributed whenever Meteor, Holy, and Lifestream collided? I don't just think Lifestream would disappear, I'm pretty sure it exposed the people to Jenova cells because Sephiroth had some control of it in Crater.

Cloud72789
02-11-2005, 05:08 PM
Those are some odd theorys, but now that I think about, I do wonder how so many children got it. o_o Very.. strange.. hmmm.. Don't know. There just might be a connection with Jenova's cells, Meteor, and the Lifestream... Okay! It bothers me now! How did all those children get it!! ARG!! I'll be searching the web for days now trying to figure that out..!

BackRoomKid
02-12-2005, 07:01 AM
I played FFVII over and I'm at the Glacier Part, and I watched the vids of Prof. Gast w/Ifalna, and it all makes sense now..."Original Crisis" really cleared things up for me...for people who still don't get how these diseases come up, you should replay those parts

and the whole jenova/weapon thing was cleared up too

Nova Briar
02-12-2005, 01:15 PM
Admittedly I haven't watched the Gast/Ifalna scenes again the way BackRoomKid suggested, but here's a half-baked theory that just popped in my head (so don't flame me if it's completely wrong): Maybe the planet considers most, if not all, humans to be threats, since most of them used Mako energy everyday just as we use electricity. If that's the case, Geostigma could be an attempt to get rid of these threats to the Planet's existence. (Because assuming the Planet has some sort of inherent intelligence, it would definitely be doubly wary after the whole Meteor fiasco, don't you think?)

Along those lines, it could have targeted those with Jenova cells first and hardest because they might seem (to the Planet) more likely than someone without Jenova cells to attempt to destroy the Planet again. And so many children might have Geostigma because...well, aren't children generally more vulnerable to illnesses anyway? Admittedly, Geostigma doesn't operate on the same lines of a cold, but it could be the same reason.

Just a theory. *shrug*

Nova Briar

Destai
02-12-2005, 01:46 PM
The planets been described as a young child. Maybe you could compare there reactions.

Shoden
02-12-2005, 01:54 PM
yer i know

BackRoomKid
02-12-2005, 07:41 PM
For those who don't feel like playing it over but still wanna see it, I'll play it over and write up the script for you guys who are still interested because it talks about the "Crisis from the Skies"...a "Virus"...Weapons use...and more, trust me, it's worth watching.

Nova Briar, your theory makes sense...but the planet does not literally watch every person to see if it's threat...when I write out the script, maybe it'll help you out.

Destai
02-12-2005, 07:44 PM
She didnt say it watched everyone and it wouldnt need to. It could just release Geo-S on everyone.

Nova Briar
02-12-2005, 08:12 PM
A script would be nice. I've played it before (not so long ago, as a matter of fact), but...well, I challenge anyone to take four college exams in four days and then remember something like what the heck Ifalna said off the top of their head. ;) Nah, just kidding.

Destai's right about what I was saying, btw--I figured the planet would just unleash Geo-stigma on all humans. Perhaps having Jenova cells might make people more susceptable to Geo-stigma, or perhaps the planet (did I already say this?) went after people with "Jenova's genetic legacy" first. *shrugs* I don't know...grasping at straws... :O_O:

Destai
02-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Genetic Legacy? Are you sure that makes sense? Or is it just a hyped up word for DNA?

BackRoomKid
02-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Check it out

Nova Briar
02-12-2005, 09:25 PM
"Jenova's genetic legacy" is what I've been told Vincent called the Jenova cells/DNA in one of the trailers. I was trying to be all AC savvy. (And it...um...didn't work...:O_O: ;) )

Thanks a lot, BackRoomKid. Will read.

Destai
02-12-2005, 09:56 PM
woops sorry bout that /: )

Talon
02-12-2005, 10:19 PM
I've heard that it's a weapon made to destroy the in FFVII.

BackRoomKid
02-12-2005, 10:22 PM
^^^fill in the blank please

Cloud72789
02-13-2005, 05:05 AM
Ok... The report about the 'crisis from the sky' is not at all talking about GeoStigma. o.o It was just saying that the 'crisis from the sky' gave the Cetra a 'virus' and that (I would think from the referance to transformations and whatnot) would just be Jenova cells... Maybe? o.O That's what I got out of it anyways.. maybe my mind thinks on one track. :P

Shoden
02-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Geo Stigma is a whole different thing to that Jenova Virus Geo Stigma is a virys created to destroy the last traces of Jenova but when Meteor and holy collided maybe Jenova cells spread to many people around Midgar therefore they become vulnrable to Geo Stigma but it seems as if theres different types of it. Cloud has it does it mean hes going to die? well the hero usually doesnt die

sanity's requiem
02-13-2005, 11:21 AM
I thought that geostigma was the human/cetra bodies attempt to get rid of jenova cells in the body, similar to the way the body reacts when you get a bacterial infection, ie a fever. However, if the body cant get rid of them and succumbs, it mutates into a monster, similar to the way hojo mutates when you are fighting him. Geostigma is probably the virus that jenova gave the cetra, too which they succumbed, and then became monsters. Cloud has geostigma in the movie, so the theory fits

Destai
02-13-2005, 11:36 AM
The Cetra turned into monsters, right? Maybe the Cetra received J-cells like a virus and turned into monsters like the jenova forms you fight in VII.

BackRoomKid
02-13-2005, 06:38 PM
^^^exactly what I was thinking

I know "GEO STIGMA" is probably not the EXACT same virus, becuase "GEO STIGMA" (with 'geo' in it meaning it relates to the planet/earth) was something the PLANET created to get rid of Jenova, the same reason why it created Weapon, for the purpose of getting rid of Jenova. The Planet got smarter at getting rid of Jenova by a virus rather than huge monsters defeated by Cloud and the gang.

Nova Briar
02-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Hmm...you guys are making sense...*nods* I concur. Um...I think. ;)

Destai, you asked on another thread why Geo-stigma was called that--more specifically, the "stigma" part of the name. I have no idea why it's Geo-stigma, but maybe this will provide someone with some insight. I was told by a pen pal when I first started following AC's progress--presumably before Squeenix put out any official word--that the disease we now know as Geo-stigma was called "Star Scar" syndrome. If the disease is caused by Jenova cells the way some theorize, that might make sense--since Jenova cells (correct me if I'm wrong) came from the stars, and more specifically Jenova herself (itself?), the "crisis from the sky". Could that help explain the name Geo-stigma?

Edit: On a more superficial note, maybe I'm thinking too deep into it and it's simply called Geo-stigma because it leaves a distinctive mark (a stigma) on those who possess it. Which would explain the way that Marlene could look at Cloud's bandage and Denzel's and tell that he and Denzel both had Geo-stigma...I think...

Nova Briar

meowwl
02-15-2005, 03:11 PM
The monster that Kadaj summons in the trailer is Bahamut...the translation of Vincent's words in trailer #3 reads like this... "Inside our bodies, we all have a current like the Lifestream. When alien matter infests the body, this current is what fights it off. Geostigma is what happens when the body overcompensates for its unwelcome guest." Sounds like Jenova is a virus, and Geostigma is an autoimmune disorder like rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis or Krohn's disease. I have another theory..since Aeris was half Cetra..and the Cetra went from planet to planet, What if humans are Cetra whose ancestors were exposed to and survived Jenova's virus..It did genetic damage sufficient to make them unable to hear the planet, or use magic without materia.

BackRoomKid
02-15-2005, 10:59 PM
I don't get why EVERYONE thinks what Kadaj summons is BAHAMUT...where (I'm asking for official translations or something) does it say that this dragon is bahamut. Yes, it is logical to believe that it may be Bahamut but even Ultima Weapon had a dragon-like shape.

Destai
02-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Bahamut changes shape in every game. He just went much further this time in a much more detailed CG movie.

Shoden
02-16-2005, 12:19 AM
i wouldnt have thought it to be Bahamut but an artificialy created summon but instead of it using mega flare/giga flare/terra flare it attacked normally except why does this "Bahamut" have a ram's head?

Nova Briar
02-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Your theory makes sense, meowll--to me at least. As for the summoned monster--I don't know about the head, but we haven't seen that many detailed pictures of it anyway. And I thought the wings looked a lot like the wings of Bahamut in FFX.

gismo
02-16-2005, 07:28 PM
I think Kadja 'summons' Jenova to be honest, i dont think that could be Bahamut, it seems to scientific biologicaly stuff things to me that is on this 'creature' and just reminds me of Jenova and all her forms int he game an allt he scientific stuff they did to her.

Shoden
02-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Jenova went bye bye coput bit the dust you get it after Jenova Synthesis and Safer Sephiroth died Jenova died to except her cells that is which is a geo stigma magnet

Destai
02-17-2005, 02:05 AM
Its 2.04 and maybe Im just really tired but did that make any sense?

Shoden
02-17-2005, 12:25 PM
yeah i said Jenova gone only Jenova cells remained which is a Geo stigma magnet

amratis
02-17-2005, 12:26 PM
No that didnt make much sense to me either, basically you just have to concentrate to see where the comma's should be. I think it should read as -

Jenova went bye bye, coput, bit the dust, you get it after Jenova Synthesis, and Safer Sephiroth died, Jenova died to except her cells - that is which is a geo stigma magnet.

I could correct all the grammar, syntax .etc (hey english student here, cant help it) but that would be mean and I remember Shoden saying on another thread somewhere thats he's dyslexic.

Nova Briar you stole my point about it looking like Bahamut from FFX! ;) only joking, it does though doesnt it, apart from the head, which does look like a ram as others have said

udsuna
02-18-2005, 12:40 AM
Think about the history of FF7 for a second.
1. Jenova discovered
2. Shinra makes soldiers by infusing Jenova cells into humans
3. Creation of Sephiroth as the pinacle of that experiment
4. War with Wutai- lots of Soldiers
5. War ends, Soldiers go home
6. Soldiers make babies.... because that's what they do after wars....
7. These children, some would be in their early teens, are born to those with Jenova's DNA hidden inside them, much as Sephiroth, but on a milder scale.

meowwl
02-18-2005, 02:47 AM
It is Bahamut, if you watch the trailers, as Cloud is rushing upwards toward him there is a flare of blue energy gathering around Bahamut's open mouth, as though he is getting ready to breathe it out.

Cloud_Strider
02-18-2005, 04:48 AM
It IS Bahamut... to my knowledge... Unless its Weapon... Meh... Ignore my banter.

BackRoomKid
02-18-2005, 05:05 AM
just cuz the thing breathes blue flame don't mean anything...I'm in denial about this thing being Bahumut cuz it just doesn't look like he doesn't really fit in the story, but whatever...about Geostigma...

what could possibly cure it? only the planet huh?

udsuna
02-18-2005, 06:59 AM
Well, the planet wasn't exactly helping the human race when it released WEAPONs from their slumber. The one wanted to annihilate Midgar. I still don't get why it stepped in front of the beam, but, whatever. So a series of micro-weapons (a disease) to assault the remaining Jenova materials seems a sensible stem. Easier than weapons, too.

cloud20747
02-21-2005, 06:36 AM
I was reading the cast for the japanese version and noticed something very strange......

geostigma has an voice!!!
it is being played by.....Rina Mogami meaning geostigma is going to probably explain what it is.(to see the list go to eyesonff.com click on advent children and scroll down on main page)

amratis
02-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Hey thanks for finding that out! :D Thats pretty useful actually. Hmm, Geostigma could have a disembodied voice OR...it could maybe talk *through* Kadaj or Seph or one of the others perhaps?

Luthien Rogue
03-01-2005, 03:36 AM
I was reading the cast for the japanese version and noticed something very strange......

geostigma has an voice!!!
it is being played by.....Rina Mogami meaning geostigma is going to probably explain what it is.(to see the list go to eyesonff.com click on advent children and scroll down on main page)

It'd be interesting to know where they got that information, because according to every other site, this is the current cast list:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385700/fullcredits

Geostigma is a desease, how could it have a voice? :S

cloud20747
03-01-2005, 04:43 AM
well I got the list from www.eyesonac.com Just scroll down and you'll see it Right above Zack and below Denzel

Camanche
03-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Maybe the voice is that of Jenova? :| Geostigma is usually mentioned alongside of Jenova when it is spoken about... So it could be a mistranslation. Then again, maybe it's the 'Planet's' voice, or it's voice through Geostigma. Just guessing...

CloudStrife48
03-03-2005, 05:01 PM
This was released in the Vince Summary on the adventchildren.net webpage....

Vincent: 'Geostigma' is when your body has overworked itself purging wicked substances from within itself.

Cloud: Wicked substances...

Vincent: There's something that resembles the lifestream flowing within our bodies, and that's what's fighting the evil substances that have intruded within. The Calamity from the Skies....Jenova.

So Geo-stigma is your bodys reaction to purging the Jenova cells within your body.

Kadaj also says it:

Kadaj: You see, someone hid 'Mother' away from us. The 'stigma is an illness that awakens within you the action of compensating where the body itself has reached its limit. I'm sure...you know very well yourself exactly what this 'stigma is, don't you?

Stigma is defined as: A small mark; a scar or birthmark.
And Geo is defined as: Earth

Something else I found - a translation of the TGS video commentary...

Due to the valiant efforts used to save the world two years before, the world was thought to be peaceful once and for all. However, a new illness known as the Star Scar Syndrome started to spread, and the people began to suffer and die off.

And Cloud—who fought alone because the world refused others to live—lived a lonely life.

Voice of a Small Girl: "That day, the power was used. Therefore, the star now lives. The humans have become the star, their souls among the star. And I had thought it would all be over..." (Translation Note: 'Star' may be referring to The Planet.)

Even though its not mentioned we know what the scar is... and if you don't... you dont deserve to see the movie :p

wuglendei
03-06-2005, 04:09 AM
I dont recal in FF7 ever hearing about GEO-S. Tho i have heard about it in trailers i never heard of it in FF7...then again i did beat that game like 3 years agao....maybe more. Could ya tell me what scenes or when in the game do they explain GEO-S......

CloudStrife48
03-06-2005, 07:29 AM
I dont recal in FF7 ever hearing about GEO-S. Tho i have heard about it in trailers i never heard of it in FF7...then again i did beat that game like 3 years agao....maybe more. Could ya tell me what scenes or when in the game do they explain GEO-S......

they dont refer to geo-stigma in the video game at all and no references are shown in the video game... thats why they make sure to explain it well in the movie

wuglendei
03-06-2005, 02:18 PM
O i See. Well that explains alot. Thx. Now all i gotta do is relax and wait for the movie

Cloud72789
03-07-2005, 08:10 PM
GeoStigma was not explained in the game because it wasn't in the game! GeoStigma has nothing to do with the game at all, it is a new thing they made up for the movie. And about the 'suposed' Bahamut creature, it is Bahamut! I did make a thread about it a little while ago, but not many people seemed interested.. If you want to know about it, look for the thread "Bahamut -Sin-!" Anyways, GeoStigma is another name for the Star Scar syndrome, so it was not even in the game. It is just for the movie, so it has to be explained well in the movie. :P (Sorry if I sounded a little angry. I just get upset sometimes when people go on about some information they don't know for sure is true and I have done my research, so I know a few things for a fact.)

CloudStrife48
03-07-2005, 09:08 PM
GeoStigma was not explained in the game because it wasn't in the game! GeoStigma has nothing to do with the game at all, it is a new thing they made up for the movie. And about the 'suposed' Bahamut creature, it is Bahamut! I did make a thread about it a little while ago, but not many people seemed interested.. If you want to know about it, look for the thread "Bahamut -Sin-!" Anyways, GeoStigma is another name for the Star Scar syndrome, so it was not even in the game. It is just for the movie, so it has to be explained well in the movie. :P (Sorry if I sounded a little angry. I just get upset sometimes when people go on about some information they don't know for sure is true and I have done my research, so I know a few things for a fact.)

:( did you not read my post earlier? I explained geo-stigma perfectly as well as star scar syndrome

Cloud72789
03-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Yes, I read it. :P I'm just hoping the explain it MORE in the movie. Like.. why do people die from it? What happens to them? What changes in their bodys? o.o

amratis
03-08-2005, 10:52 PM
These are all questions we just wont know until it comes out. I imagine it'll be described in some detail in the film, but I guess its fun to debate it until our jaws fall off ;) :D

CloudStrife48
03-10-2005, 06:16 AM
Yes, I read it. :P I'm just hoping the explain it MORE in the movie. Like.. why do people die from it? What happens to them? What changes in their bodys? o.o

I think that its your body refusing to mutate (like those monsters in the Nibelheim Reactor did since they were fused with it at birth) so it ends off killing itself. I think it's the same thing as cancer except alot more vigorous

udsuna
03-10-2005, 07:00 AM
If your immune system overtaxes, it's also called an allergic reaction. Possibly, without Jenova's guidance, her cells go haywire and fight the body they're in- or whatnot. Also, as antibodies are created and released, if it goes to far, it kills. It's what makes beesting allergies so much more dangerous after each sting. Until, eventually, nothing can save you. Though the cancer analogy is also good. Jenova could be called an infection or a cancer... doesn't really matter, the point is- highly advanced foreign cells put up one helluva fight. One that could probably kill the host if it goes on long enough.

Squall of SeeD
03-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Seeing as how the the conflict of Geostigma going on within folks' bodies is that of JENOVA's Cells versus their Spirit Energy (their energy of life), I would assume that death incurred through Geostigma is a result of extreme exhaustion.

amratis
03-10-2005, 09:48 PM
Thats a good theory...all the ppl who seem inflicted with it, Cloud included, seem to display certain symptoms of fatigue...in Cloud's case its hard to tell as he looks so depressed all the time it could just be that. But Denzel and the other kids are a different story in this respect.

I thought that the battle within the body between the J-cells and the lifestream cells (for want of a better description) released some kind of poison into the blood-stream as a kind of after-effect of conflict between the cells.

CloudStrife48
03-10-2005, 10:04 PM
I thought that the battle within the body between the J-cells and the lifestream cells (for want of a better description) released some kind of poison into the blood-stream as a kind of after-effect of conflict between the cells.

hmmm good idea... we won't know till the movie comes out though :D

meowwl
03-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Hmmm..metabolic exhasution, anaphylactic shock, toxic shock, a virus...I wonder if geostigma is a planet wide disease, or just midgar and environs, or just places with mako reactors? I wonder if it is a worldwide thing, or a phenomenon linked with mako use.

Cloud72789
03-14-2005, 05:38 AM
None of us will really know until the movie comes out and it is all explained. I have found out something interesting though. When you look at the screens at adventchildren.net on the first page. There is one screenshot of a road sign. Saying something about a Geostigma research something or other. Also there is a screenshot of the building that it is refering to. If you look at the dome part of the building you can see the small rectangular windows. Then look at the screenshots with the wheelchair man and Rude. It looks like a dome room and has the same windows in the back!.... I just found that interesting, don't know if it has anything to do with this topic. :P
Oh, and also you notice a Shinra picture on the wall on the inside. Plus the building has a wheelchair ramp on the outside... If you're smart you would know who the wheelchair man is, but I'll leave everyone to their own opinion. :rolleyes2