PDA

View Full Version : Sounds and Audio Devices...or lack thereof.

LockeTheDeft
02-04-2005, 09:08 PM
I'm using Microsoft Windows XP.

I went to control panel and then to Sounds and Audio Devices. It says I have no Audio Device. Um...where did it go? More importantly, if it's been uninstalled/deleted, how do I get it back?

Oh, and how do I know what sound device is (or was) my default...?

Yamaneko
02-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Go to Device Manager. Right click on My Computer go to Properties, Hardware, Device Manager. Check under Sound, video, and game controllers to see if you can find anything that resembles a sound controller. If you don't, check under Other devices. If it appears there then it's been uninstalled and Windows hasn't been able to find the correct drivers. I'm guessing you have some sort of Sound Blaster (everyone does), got to the Sound Blaster website and download the lastest drivers.

Or, if you know have a built-in sound card on your motherboard: nForce, nForce 2, nForce 3, etc.; then maybe it's been disabled through the BIOS.

Check Device Manager first, though, and see what you find.

Baloki
02-04-2005, 10:54 PM
Try just going to control panel and hitting add new hardware, usually finds any lost hardware for me...

crono_logical
02-04-2005, 10:58 PM
If it's been uninstalled, I'd expect it to be automatically reinstalled on a reboot, or at least ask for new drivers on a reboot, unless it's like 15 years old :p