PDA

View Full Version : pre-Election rules making vote practice thread

Election Booth
02-05-2005, 09:20 PM
The election rules currently state no member of staff may be a party leader. Loony BoB has requested that the rule be changed to allow him to run the #eoff party which he has been planning for months. It only seems fair to let you, the voting public, decide BoB's fate. The question is this: Should Loony BoB be allowed to run the #eoff party despite his administrator status?

On the one hand, it would be unfair to block certain member from the process simply because of their elevated status. On the other hand, do we really want those who already run the forums in actuality to also run them in jest? Shall this be the election of the little man, or the election of the priveledged few? Are all forum members created equal?

You be the judge!

Loony BoB
02-05-2005, 09:32 PM
It'll be interesting to see who votes Yes and who votes No...

It would be pretty damn weird to not let the past winner of the elections not be able to run it. As the existing leader, do I get any say in that rule, anyway? :D Also, and I feel that denying me - or anyone, for that matter - the right to have fun would be so far from groovy.

But seriously, if I have to step down as Admin during these times, so be it. I want to have fun - I'm an admin of this place because I enjoy it so much. Why take that away from me? I'm a member of EoFF first, a staffer second.

gokufusionss1
02-05-2005, 09:35 PM
I clicked no, i have no idea why it just seems months of preperation is like cheating.

Loony BoB
02-05-2005, 09:36 PM
I clicked no, i have no idea why it just seems months of preperation is like cheating.
Should W-Boats also be banned, then?

Cz
02-05-2005, 09:36 PM
It would be pretty damn weird to not let the past winner of the elections not be able to run it.That might explain why the Americans do it so often.

Anyway, I oppose BoB's policies on pretty much everything, but that's no reason to deny him the right to lead a party. Plus, Psy can't get his revenge properly unless BoB runs for forum leader. :D

Loony BoB
02-05-2005, 09:37 PM
That might explain why the Americans do it so often.
I know. I never really got that idea. Clinton or Bush. Hmm. Oh well.

Anyway, I oppose BoB's policies on pretty much everything, but that's no reason to deny him the right to lead a party. Plus, Psy can't get his revenge properly unless BoB runs for forum leader. :D
I was actually temporarily tempted to not run for that very reason. ;)

Baloki
02-05-2005, 09:38 PM
Should W-Boats also be banned, then?

We plan for things, I feel disgusted, dirty, downright ugly, what we don't? BoB was lying? Thats a weight off my mind :D

eestlinc
02-05-2005, 09:40 PM
I'm obviously not voting, and I was tempted to make the rule "nobody who has ever led a party can do so this year" but that seems pretty hard to enforce and I really don't even know who ran the old old parties.

One possible compromise: get Kishi to run the TPP again so BoB isn't the only staff member running a party. Or mod Psy.

Rye
02-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Planning isn't cheating, because it's not like you can change anything really by planning and making banners, etc for your party.

gokufusionss1
02-05-2005, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry it's still no, it's a life decision i consider planning for events a cheating and have led my life never ever planning for anything it leaves more time for beer and pizza.

Cz
02-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Basically I feel that these elections should be as close to the real thing as possible, only far less boring. Restricting those who can lead parties, if anything, makes the process more boring. Besides, what exactly would the be the problem if BoB took part?

Baloki
02-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Basically I feel that these elections should be as close to the real thing as possible, only far less boring. Restricting those who can lead parties, if anything, makes the process more boring. Besides, what exactly would the be the problem if BoB took part?

He'd start abusing me again :cry: Wait thats gonna make people vote no :(

eestlinc
02-05-2005, 09:53 PM
yes, because there are no restrictions in real elections

Citizen Bleys
02-05-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm obviously not voting, and I was tempted to make the rule "nobody who has ever led a party can do so this year"

It'd be hard to run an election with zero parties running.

Cz
02-05-2005, 09:59 PM
They don't restrict people simply because they occupy a high position in the nation's government, though. In fact, in some nations this unusual practice is actually encouraged. :rolleyes2

eestlinc
02-05-2005, 10:14 PM
It'd be hard to run an election with zero parties running.

Gen Chat would be a lot less cluttered, though.

RSL
02-05-2005, 10:41 PM
One vote for yes.

Kirobaito
02-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Nobody wants ME running the #eoff party, do they? Vote BoB!

Psychotic
02-05-2005, 11:22 PM
I voted no. Purely for comedic reasons.

BoB can still duel me even if he ISN'T the leader, you see :laugh:

boris no no
02-05-2005, 11:26 PM
i voted yes mainly because....i have no idea!
his ideas should win people over not his satus.

plus pink will rule all!!

free love for all!!
:love: :love: :love:

DJZen
02-05-2005, 11:47 PM
I voted no, 'cause I'm all about stickin' it to the man.

Agent Proto
02-05-2005, 11:49 PM
I voted no, 'cause I'm all about stickin' it to the man.

Exactly, and rules are rules, despite how dumb they may be. Besides, it's fair enough as is. BoB shouldn't be exempt, because he wants to lead a party.

Loony BoB
02-06-2005, 12:10 AM
Exactly, and rules are rules, despite how dumb they may be. Besides, it's fair enough as is. BoB shouldn't be exempt, because he wants to lead a party.
I'm not talking about being exempt, I'm personally talking about the rule not being there in the first place. It's like saying "Sorry, staffers, you're not allowed to have fun." You of all people, pr00t, should know that we need to be able to do this sort of thing too, to make sure we don't just become dead-set staffers that do nothing but moderate.

EDIT: And I've said it once, I'll say it again - if I have to no longer be an admin just so I can have fun, then I'll step down as admin. I'd rather have fun than do nothing but tell people off. :p

Agent Proto
02-06-2005, 12:14 AM
It's like saying "Sorry, staffers, you're not allowed to have fun." You of all people, pr00t, should know that we need to be able to do this sort of thing too, to make sure we don't just become dead-set staffers that do nothing but moderate.
Yeah, I know, but I'm not on staff. So nyah to you. Besides, you don't need to be a party leader to have fun.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-06-2005, 12:26 AM
I think the Admins should be allowed.

Leeza
02-06-2005, 12:28 AM
I don't want BoB deAdminned so let him play please.

escobert
02-06-2005, 12:32 AM
yes.

Del Murder
02-06-2005, 12:34 AM
I said yes, but I still think BoB should appoint a puppet ruler and pull the strings from behind the scenes.

Yamaneko
02-06-2005, 12:57 AM
Just run the show from the Cayman Islands like those huge corporations that do business with Iran.

eestlinc
02-06-2005, 12:59 AM
he could appoint you, but you're on staff too.

Citizen Bleys
02-06-2005, 01:00 AM
if I have to no longer be an admin just so I can have fun, then I'll step down as admin. I'd rather have fun than do nothing but tell people off. :p

See, I stepped down as an admin in order to have fun myself. I still tell people off, though.

fire_of_avalon
02-06-2005, 01:47 AM
I voted yes because I don't really think the rule makes sense. Why is it in place? Because of the possibility an Admin might abuse his/her power in favor of his/her party? If so, then that makes no sense at all because Admins, while not allowed to be party leaders are allowed to join parties, correct? What makes you think an admin who WOULD abuse their power when having the position of party leader would refrain from abusing said power as a party member?

Additionally, even if an admin DID abuse his/her power, it's not like they could really get away with it. If they start banning people who start other parties/are against their party, I think it would be rather obvious, and I'm quite sure the rest of staff would step in.

The rule just doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps there's a scenario I'm not seeing, and if there is I would be very happy if someone would point it out to me.

In short, I don't think the rule should be changed this one time for BoB, I think the rule should be changed, period.

eestlinc
02-06-2005, 01:49 AM
the staff gets to be in charge of everything else

Del Murder
02-06-2005, 01:51 AM
We're spoiled brats. What can I say.

Loony BoB
02-06-2005, 10:14 AM
It's notable that admins can use their powers for good, not just evil.

Just like Gambit.

Wuggly Blight
02-06-2005, 11:07 AM
We're spoiled brats. What can I say.

Yup :tongue:

fire_of_avalon
02-06-2005, 11:31 PM
the staff gets to be in charge of everything else
Right, but no one is really in charge of these parties, at least from my experience. It's basically everybody getting together and deciding stuff amongst themselves with a leader voicing the party's opinion. I don't see how that leader being an admin can really effect what the entire party decides.

Then again, maybe the rest of you are fascists :D

Baloki
02-07-2005, 12:06 AM
Then again, maybe the rest of you are fascists :D

Vote Fascists for a 3rd glorious term, *salutes Dave*

Del Murder
02-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Random rules make things fun.

eestlinc
02-07-2005, 01:24 AM
Random rules make things fun.

this is exactly the point. The excitement in life is meeting new and often random challenges. I'm inclined to let the rule stand as is, especially because I came up with the rule in the first place.

Psychotic
02-07-2005, 01:25 AM
Ciddie #50 really was true.

Del Murder
02-07-2005, 01:28 AM
Technically, it wasn't.

Psychotic
02-07-2005, 01:29 AM
You elitists, always with the technicalities.

Raistlin
02-07-2005, 01:33 AM
I vote for whichever one makes BooB deadmin himself.

In this case, "no."

eestlinc
02-07-2005, 02:33 AM
Technically, it wasn't.

but only we know the truth.

Citizen Bleys
02-07-2005, 03:16 AM
I vote for whichever one makes BooB deadmin himself.

In this case, "no."

Well, then, here's my threat: If BoB has to step down, I'll step up to replace him. And then I'll go on a rampage.

BoB has to take his job back when it's all over, though.

Madonna
02-07-2005, 03:21 AM
I vote "no" to spite Bleys, since he won't turn traitor and join what's obviously a superior party. Sorry, Gravesy.

Raistlin
02-07-2005, 03:29 AM
Actually, I think Bleys is actually enjoying himself as a commie. He's getting in touch with his liberal side. I mean, he got a <i>kitten</i> for Christ's sake, and called it <i>cute</i>. Obvious evidence of senility.

Madonna
02-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Obvious cover-up for having another litter box.

Queen Award, First of Her Name
02-07-2005, 12:12 PM
It appears what this forum needs is a hero.

Super Delete appears to be on holiday so BoB called me in instead.

Citizen Bleys
02-07-2005, 01:10 PM
That's a better answer ^.^

Strider
02-07-2005, 05:42 PM
I say yes. I don't see the harm in it.

eestlinc
02-07-2005, 11:14 PM
once again we solve a dilemma without resorting to violence. :<3:

Election Booth
02-08-2005, 03:13 AM
BoB is certified to be leader of the #eoff party. I expect great things.

Raistlin
02-08-2005, 03:23 AM
Everyone will lose to Unne in the end.

Dignified Pauper
02-08-2005, 03:24 AM
I voted yes, why, because in the real world, High Powered officials run for positions, and in this, ALL can run. Also, it provides me with muck more on my media coverage of the election.

So yes, let him run with the wind!

Loony BoB
02-08-2005, 12:22 PM
I send my genuine thanks to everyone who supported me in this poll. Every vote counted, and I'm grateful - regardless of your party - for encouraging equal rights to the ability to run for leadership in the EoFF General Elections. Woohoo!

Levian
02-08-2005, 12:42 PM
In my opinion, rules should apply for everyone, without exceptions. Making exceptions and exclutions is only one step further to elitism, and I am in no way a supporter of that. I think EoFF has gotten better regarding elitism, so why ruin it now? :p

I say get rid of the rule, or keep it and let it apply for everyone. What's the point of having rules if they're not going to be followed? That's a bad example for the rest of the community. You're wondering why there are people breaking the "laws" of eoff? Well, here's your answer.

So I'll vote no. Don't take it personally BoB, it's absolutely not meant that way, and I do want you to participate, so if there was a poll asking to remove the rule, I'd vote yes. You're a good friend, it's just that I have strong opinions. :cool:

Loony BoB
02-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Don't worry, Hardwood Hank (I love that name), no offence taken and I agree with you anyway. :p

Levian
02-08-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks, I love the name too :love:

Loony BoB
02-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Someone superly awesome must have come up with it. :D They must have gone through all sorts of sites looking for manly words and manly names and come up with that name you now have. :D But I better shut up before I get told off for being off topic. :D *shuts up* :D

Uhhmmm yeah go me. :) Do I have to close this thread now?

eestlinc
02-08-2005, 02:09 PM
I'd close it except I didn't technically make the thread.