PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII: Really the best?

rubicant
02-06-2005, 02:50 PM
I've been playing the series since about 1996 and beat FFIV when I was 6. FFIV was my first one and I borrowed it form one of my dad's friends.
Then when I got my PSX I bought FFVII. Personally, I thought it blew. Graphically, it sucked. I'd rather look at colorful 16-bit graphics than dark 32-bit garphics. Storyline wise they were about equal. The battle system sucked for FFVII. Iwould rather play FFVIII which as I've heard sucks compared to FFVII. Anyway, post here to say a bunch of crap about my opinion or if you support it, post here too.

Ichimonji
02-06-2005, 05:17 PM
In 1997? Yes. Now? Definitely not.

Sephiroth2088
02-06-2005, 05:54 PM
FF7 pwns all.. it is so L337!!!!! there never was and will be a better game.. I love seph...

:D actualy I think graphicaly obviously the new games beat this one out, but when it comes to battle system and plot I love it... plus being the first ff I ever played it has that nostalgia to it. I admit FF10 gave it a good run.. and currently plotwise.. I think Xenosaga mgiht blow it away.

Shoden
02-06-2005, 06:08 PM
good news for ya its gettin remade along with 8 the project started 3 years ago they're working on 8 and are planning to release them at the same time which i think sucks as we could of goten our hands on it last year

Trumpet Thief
02-06-2005, 06:16 PM
good news for ya its gettin remade along with 8 the

chaos: Link please? I had heard that news before, and afterwards, I heard that it had been cancelled.

Shoden
02-06-2005, 06:32 PM
its in a magazine the project was never cancelled after the success of FFX millions of fans asked for remakes of previous games Square chose the most popul;ar ps1 games 7 and 8 i dunno bout 9 that was cancelled. Square decided to attempt it but after the spirits within they postponed it and it nearly became cancelled untill they decided to give it another try and how lucky are we? releases are late 2005- mid 2006 depending on how fast they work ive read the articals in 3 magazines shame i dont have a scanner though

Destai
02-06-2005, 07:00 PM
No scanner? convienient. If VII ever gets remade it'll be part of the comilation of VII project. If its not remade with that it'll be a few years certainly. VIII getting remade is pretty unlikely and chances are slim to none. At present Square has released no plans on remaking VIII and remaking VII hasnt been officially announced but is possible with the large ammount of sequels and prequels. It would certainly be a nice way to finish off the compilation of VII. If the projects been three years in the work you'd have seen a screen shot of anyone of them by now. Which you havent. Sometime withing those three years they were cancelled.

Shoden
02-06-2005, 07:04 PM
meh yoy know Square full of suprises eg Dirge of Cerberus announced last year and the project was going on for as long as ffx2 was released. Square may want to keep us in suspense but the thing is the amount of postpones in the ff7 remake may not have given us screenshots

Trumpet Thief
02-06-2005, 07:05 PM
chaos: I won't believe it until I get some solid proof.

Destai
02-06-2005, 07:06 PM
They need to advertise there games in some way. No screenshots, No interviews saying "we're making a remake". hence, no remake.

Shoden
02-06-2005, 07:24 PM
theres been several interviews about it in the magazines in the UK for the PS2

PS2 world
PS2 Gamer
Gamezworld
PS2 Codebreakers
RPG Sanctum

thats all i can find theres gotta be more but i cant believe you havent read about it yet

thats about all i can find but there will

Destai
02-06-2005, 07:29 PM
oh crap I think I stepped in bullhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpghttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpghttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpghttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg.

Shoden
02-06-2005, 07:30 PM
? what u mean

Rednikcam
02-06-2005, 08:00 PM
I have just bought Final Fantasy VII on the PC off eBay. I had played it before when I was 8 on the PSX. I can honestly say the game lives up to what I remembered it being: a truely amazing and unforgettable RPG experience.

Shoden
02-06-2005, 08:09 PM
probably the greatest ff game ever

Destai
02-06-2005, 08:18 PM
I love it so much. The graphics were groundbreaking as some of the first released on PS1 with FMV's. Actual FMV's!!!!! (That was pretty damn impressive back then). The battle system was very enjoyable, it allowed tactics and great use of the materia combinations system. The sound was in midi quality but most/all of the tracks were brilliant. The storyline is CLASS. Nuff said. Sounds pretty damn good to me and I think its the best FF.

Shoden
02-06-2005, 08:24 PM
well the music was an advanced version of MIDI as it sounded near mp3 quality

Apollo
02-06-2005, 08:25 PM
I agree I didn't like FFVII as much as its 2-D Predecessors.For most the same reasons as you.

Cloud Strife fanatic
02-06-2005, 08:50 PM
i THINK FF7 IS THE BEST GAME EVER, It has awsome charecters (Cloud rules All!) the music waz great. yes the graphics could use a little tuning up, but the all around story and gameplay is top of the line. It kicks ff8's ass any day! :chop:

Shoden
02-06-2005, 08:56 PM
FFVIII had better music and a wider magic usage the junction system was a fun challenge but ff7 still owns it though

BackRoomKid
02-06-2005, 09:06 PM
FFVII was one of my first FF's (next to FF III for the SNES) and at the time I loved it...I played it a lot and did every side quest and etc...But I do not believe it is the BEST...I enjoyed FFVIII storyline more but that's my own personal liking

Yet, I have a top 3 FF list in my head and FFVII is definately on there, once you TRULY understand the story (which, at the time I didn't, until i joined this site) you'll see that FFVII is an awesome game to play

Destination0
02-06-2005, 09:48 PM
Personally I am not a big fan FFVII...
I think its just over-rated...
lot of it depends on which was ur first ever FF game...
in general case thats the game u like the most...
moreover back in day FFVII was one of a kind 3D game on PS...
it was a big technological jump, so ppl r just obese with it...

Sepho
02-06-2005, 09:53 PM
Final Fantasy VII is not my personal favorite, or even my personal second favorite, but I've gone off at length several times giving reasons as to why that's the case. If you use the Search button, you'll find all sorts of these threads.

My typical arguments consist of the following:

Highly overrated and convoluted mess of a story, most of which is recycled completely from FF6, and I will always argue that the story of VIII is not inferior to that FF VII.

Cliche'd characters. I'm really not going into it. If you don't see the stereotypes, this is obviously the only RPG you've ever played.

And many, many more insightful, valid, detailed, arguments, most of which try not to prove FF7 is bad, but rather that FF8 is not worse.

Please keep the election crap in the election threads. Thank you. ~Krang

Shoden
02-06-2005, 10:20 PM
i dont even know what the hell you just said but it sure sounded warped and disrupted

Sepho
02-06-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't understand how I can make it more understandable.

Also, I've been holding off on this, but here's a little story written by someone I've lost track of. If you haven't played FF6 (or FF7, for that matter. But you've all played that at least 47 times each), it may contain spoilers:

A brief summary of the plot of FF (6/7).

FF (6/7) is at it's core, the story of the struggle of a small group of friends against an evil power bent on destroying life as they know it. It begins with an attack on (Narsh/Reactor #8), but shortly thereafter we begin to get more of the story. A small, terrorist organization called (The Returners/Avalanche) is seeking to use any means neccessarry to stop the evil (Empire/Shinra Corporation). This evil power was set on controlling the world through the use of (Magic/Mako Energy). It would seem only a matter of time before all would be at their feet.

But it wasn't enough for them just to control the world. They wanted to control nature itself. Through the use of (Magitek enhancements/Jenova cells), they created a superpowerful minion. (Kefka/Sephiroth) was extraordinarily powerful, but the experiments were not completely successful. In the end, he went completely insane. A vastly evil being, as he demonstrated when he cut down (General Leo/Aeris) in cold blood, and when he then killed the leader of (The Empire/Shinra). He began to fancy himself worthy of godhood, and sought out the means to do so. Our noble heros tried desperately to prevent him from aquiring (the Goddess Statues/the Black Materia), but they were too late. His power brought chaos onto the world. The (Dragons/Weapons) roamed free for the first time since antiquity. People were afraid, but our heros rose up to the challenge. Seeking out weapons of great power and aiming to protect the world they loved, the flew in their mighty airship to the (Floating Continent/North Crater) where the evil one had gathered all his power together. Fighting through many foes, they eventually reached the center of it all. (Kefka/Sephiroth) was powerful, and had taken on a new image - that of an angel with one wing, beautiful and terrifying at the same time. But they triumphed.

But the threat was not over. The legacy of the evil lived on, and promised to destroy (Terra/Midgar). But fortunately for us, a deus ex machina intervenes in the form of the lifeforce of (Terra's human half/The planet). And we all live happily ever after.

Characters? We got em! First and foremost is (Terra/Cloud). (S)he spend some time working for (The Empire/Shinra) but has come to the side of good now. Despite a brief, completely psychotic episode, he/she is a good person, and essentially the protaginist of the story. You've got lots of others too - (Setzer/Cid) the airship captain (cause you just can't have a final fantasy without an airship, for crikes sake!). (Gau/Red XII) is the most animalistic of the bunch, which some serious problems with his father, but ultimately an honorable being. (Shadow/Barrett) is an honorable character with a difficult past. His wife has died, and his only surviving family memeber is his daughter. He is driven to violence by his past and his hopes for the future.

Of course what party would be complete without acception of a few traitors from the other side? (Celes/Cait Sith) worked hard for the other side, but eventually grew tired of the endless bloodshed. Eventually signing up with your group, there were problems with trust, but his/her selfless sacrifice at (the Magitek Facility/the Ancient Ruins) proved them trusted friends.

Martial artists your thing? Try (Sabin/Tifa). More into theivery? (Locke/Yuffie) may be your flavor. Just want a special character who really makes no sense and doesn't matter much, but we thought would be cool? Try (Gogo/Umaro/Mog/Vincent)!

Yes, Final Fantasy (6/7) is a great game. Come play it now, and you'll never forget it!

I'd like to thank Shotokan Order, wherever he is. *snip*
Please keep your election stuff in the election threads. ~Krang

Shoden
02-06-2005, 10:51 PM
ok
1. Sephiroth was supposed killed by Cloud in Nibelheim reactor but the crystalized mako kept his body alive but crippled but his will was still alive the JENOVA inside him took over and made cloud hand over the black materia which summoned meteor which nearly destroyed the planet but thanks to lifestream and holy it was stopped but afterwards Cloud knew sephiroth was still alive he left his body for a while travelled the lifestream and killed sephiroth for good.

Cloud was never in SOLDIER after his friend Zack was killed he made up lies and stoies saying he was in soldier. Red XIII came from the tribe of cosmo canyon but they where all killed he thought his father was a coward but Bugenhagan showed him the true hero his father was. Cloud also didnt know much on Shinra.

the Lifestream/Mako/Materia was Original and believable the story of 6 was so unrealistic. with 7 the thing is that the story is so long and has different parts which give you time to understand the rest. Sephiroth's clone killed Aeris because she was the last of the ancients and the last with the power to stop him from acquiring the black materia to summon meteor to make a wound so big in the planet lifestream will come gushing out and heal the wound but sephiroth will be at the centre of this wound gaining power and the title of a god.

with Jenova she killed off almost all the ancients and had the power to destroy the earth therefore Weapons where created these where Diamond, Sapphire, Ultimate, Ruby and Emerald these where made to defend the planet when it was in danger but since the ancients managed to suspend Jenova the weapons where put into slumber untill they where needed again and after the black materia was given to sephiroth they awakened.

most of those things there pose no similarities to 6. 6 was messed up in a few ways but 7 adapted a few of them messed up things to make the story of 7 better which was slightly more believable.

Cid was also an engineer fo shinra at one time so he built other things like tiny bronco he could also pilot other things greatly eg train and boat and planes

Sepho
02-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks for summarizing the story of FF7 (because I haven't played it six times), but I already gave a much simpler summarization one post above.

Destai
02-06-2005, 11:02 PM
To be honest Seph0zo, all you did is state something a particular character or event had in common. If you really wanted to you could do that same thing with more than half the FF series.

EDIT: actually you could do it with most RPG's. Boo hoo.

Shoden
02-06-2005, 11:05 PM
you see the two games may have similarities but it doesnt mean ff7 is copying off ff6, in the words of uber language i believe we just owned you and that theory unless you can think of something else

Trumpet Thief
02-06-2005, 11:41 PM
chaos: IMO, FFVII is too overrated. I preferred VI and IV over it, and always will.

Sepho
02-07-2005, 01:53 AM
To be honest Seph0zo, all you did is state something a particular character or event had in common.

First off, I stated absolutely nothing. I made it clear more than once that I didn't write it. It's a comparison between the two games that was written by someone who I used to post with on the GameGossip forums who went by the username Shotokan Order. I'm not sure what was intended when it was written (and I don't know where the guy is anymore), by it certainly should cause one to open up their mind and think a little. I can honestly say the guy was more intelligent than I am, or at least more insightful, because I could never come up with something like that. You can take it as what you will - I personally thought it was an enjoyable read if nothing else, and it made me think.

And secondly, in response to the "a particular character or event had in common" part.

The person who wrote it compared many key plot points and characters from the two games. Both of you are clearly attempting to make the comparisons seem exagerrated, but I can say you're doing the opposite with that statement by significantly downplaying the uncanniness of the similarities mentioned.

If you really wanted to you could do that same thing with more than half the FF series.
EDIT: actually you could do it with most RPG's. Boo hoo.

Thare are so many RPG cliches in stories these days that the majority of them are, on the whole, unoriginal in relation to most of the other games on the market. That statement I would agree with entirely.

However, there are a few that don't fall in that category, and those are the gems that often find themselves on the list of my personal favorites . Moreover, while most people claim to play the FF games for their stories, I've never thought they were particularly original compared to some plots(Xenogears, for example, as well as the Xenosaga series).

If you can write up some comparisons like that between two other RPGs, I'd most definitely find it as something I'd enjoy reading.

Whatever your feelings are, the likeness of the two games, in the way that it's illustrated in the above-written comparison (which is admittedly written in a way to make the games appear as like each other as possible) is more far more profound than any similarities between any two other RPGs I've noticed (although as I've mentioned, I don't really have an eye for these things), and the number of them is greater. And its the fact that they are two games in the same series and sequence that makes the similarities (running out of synonyms for that word :p ) more interesting.

Anyhoo, I honestly think you guys are making a bigger deal out of it than it really is.

in the words of uber language i believe we just owned you

I believe you "owned" nothing, although if you had I wouldn't know - I didn't read more than the first paragraph of your initial post because the utter lack of any commas or periods gave me a headache. :confused: I didn't expect a big huge debate out of it, but to be realistic, I should have, and that's my fault. I just knew that it was going to be taken way too seriously (which was why I was "holding it back").

I can understand someone posting and saying "Well, that's interesting, but I think some of the similarities are questionable" (and I've seen plenty of people write similar posts), but you two just went right to town on it.

and that theory unless you can think of something else

As far as I can tell, it's not a "theory". The similarities mentioned above aren't made-up explanations for certain events or anything of the like. The story events written took place, and the character backstories certainly didn't stem from his imagination.

And I don't have to think of something else to satisfy you. It's there for your entertainment purposes only, and if you're somehow offended (which is something I can't comprehend), well, then, I apologize ? :confused: *shrugs*

EDIT: Btw, *snip*

And

chaos: IMO, FFVII is too overrated. I preferred VI and IV over it, and always will.

I agree.

Trumpet Thief
02-07-2005, 04:06 AM
chaos: I agree with every single thing you have said SephO_zO. I would've quoted, but there were too many things that I had agreed on.

Rubedo: For one, I as well found that Xenosaga/Xenogears had a more original plot all the way through. There are plenty of RPG's that are not based on another story, or copying the main idea of another game.

chaos: As well, Shoden, I doubt there was any real argument in this thread that you won, and made you say that you "owned" him. Half of the time, everyone was just talking 'bout how perfect this game was. Not like I have much of a problem with it, but...

FF7 pwns all.. it is so L337!!!!! there never was and will be a better game.. I love seph...

actualy I think graphicaly obviously the new games beat this one out, but when it comes to battle system and plot I love it... plus being the first ff I ever played it has that nostalgia to it. I admit FF10 gave it a good run.. and currently plotwise.. I think Xenosaga mgiht blow it away.

and

good news for ya its gettin remade along with 8 the project started 3 years ago they're working on 8 and are planning to release them at the same time which i think sucks as we could of goten our hands on it last year

as well as

probably the greatest ff game ever

and

I love it so much. The graphics were groundbreaking as some of the first released on PS1 with FMV's. Actual FMV's!!!!! (That was pretty damn impressive back then). The battle system was very enjoyable, it allowed tactics and great use of the materia combinations system. The sound was in midi quality but most/all of the tracks were brilliant. The storyline is CLASS. Nuff said. Sounds pretty damn good to me and I think its the best FF.

and this final one:

i THINK FF7 IS THE BEST GAME EVER, It has awsome charecters (Cloud rules All!) the music waz great. yes the graphics could use a little tuning up, but the all around story and gameplay is top of the line. It kicks ff8's ass any day!

chaos: Makes me thing that this game is a "Tad" overrated. I can't really blame you, though, but it's just that those 2D games should be given more of a try. When people say that FFVII is "teh best FF evar!!11" without playing the older one, it angers me.

Rubedo: Oh yeah, and good luck in the Ace Party! ;)

Del Murder
02-07-2005, 06:02 AM
Seph: Do not advertise your party in your posts. Use your sig for that.

FFVII was not the best but it was still really awesome.

Sepho
02-07-2005, 11:29 AM
Ah, I was unaware that I wasn't allowed to do that. I read through the various threads regarding the elections, and must have missed that part somewhere.

I apologize, and thanks for the heads up.

Rubedo: Oh yeah, and good luck in the Ace Party! ;)

Thanks. I believe we consider BAotW to be our main contender. This is my first time taking part in the elections, and I'm pretty excited about it. Seems like a lot of fun.

Shoden
02-07-2005, 04:16 PM
right if you're an experienced reader than that post would be easy as out to read. FF6 never had Weapons that fitted with the storyline or sub quests or secrets that helped build the game up, i thought 6 was quite a boring game with a grey sense of mixture if you do believe 7 copied 6 than 7 was a BETTER version of 6 with a hell of alot more great things. it is overated if you dont understand the whole game 100% like with 8 before i understood 7 i preferred 8.

hey this is a forum its not as if its the law to use commas and full stops but if you prefer me too do it i'll try it. advice never play FF4 after a new year party i was so screwed the next day from headaches and bad music ringing in my head i sold it. 7 was better as it was more evolved i played 6 once quite easy if you ask me but 7 gave alot of oh hell this is so goddamn hard moments. Ruby and Emerald are monstrous bitches that go off the richter in difficulty

Wuggly Blight
02-07-2005, 04:23 PM
FF7 is my personal best game of the series...
1)The characters was well spaced out, developed and motiviated
2)The world had alot of background
3)Support characters had good background
4)the plot was well devloped, spaced out and well thought off and intresting
well placed plot twists and parts of the story you need to figure out yourself or find out the reason/meaning far later in the game unlike 10 where you are spoon fed everything
5) Good soundtrack
6) Well developed villain with well thought of reasons and good back up villains
7) Alot of good minigames that are FUN
8) Fun and innovate skill system
9) Challanging optional bosses
10) A hella funny cross ddressing scene
11) Good use of final fantasy tradition while still remaining innovate
12) Good FMVs
13) Laughing at how stupidly big Tifa's boob's are is endless fun
14) Alot of subquests and side areas to maintain intrest
15) Replayability due to event branches, items, and enjoyable story

well thats a few of my reasons for liking it.

Shoden
02-07-2005, 04:33 PM
whats wrong with Tifas boobs? lol sorry dont answer that

Wuggly Blight
02-07-2005, 04:34 PM
Becuase her back must hurt something cronic.

Shoden
02-07-2005, 04:39 PM
so they make her look good

Wuggly Blight
02-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Oh and I forgot to mention consitancy, and it challanges the players mind as well as gaming skill. That gal needs some kind of support, its gonna cause some serious pain in later life, or she may do a Lu-Lu (a z list celeb) and get crushed under them, either way I dun wanna be around when she starts running.

Raistlin
02-07-2005, 04:42 PM
FF7 is far from the best. However, it is one of the best FFs(FFT being the best).

Destai
02-07-2005, 07:56 PM
FF (6/7) is at it's core, the story of the struggle of a small group of friends against an evil power bent on destroying life as they know it.And what RPG doesnt involve this? I mean seriosuly, would it be original if it was a large group of friends? Now thats a game Id buy!

It begins with an attack on (Narsh/Reactor #8),Well Im sure you already know this but lets see, In Narshe two soldiers escorted a mysterious girl under mind control to retrieve an ancient creature, They were unsuccesful, both soldiers were apparently killed and the girl was released from mind control and attempted to escape through the mines with the help of a thief/A group of terrorists and a hired angsty mercanary destroy a reactor as a blow against the powerful Shinra company.
*suspicious*

but shortly thereafter we begin to get more of the story. A small, terrorist organization called (The Returners/Avalanche) is seeking to use any means neccessarry to stop the evil (Empire/Shinra Corporation). The returners are attempting to stop the rebirth of an ancient war and avoid magic from being released upon the world/The eco group Avalanche is attempting to stop the planet from being drained and dieing.
Who would attempt such a thing? Why the evil empire of course!(the enemy is evil so you can tell its original) They are unchallenged in technology but desire the power of the ancient world(they have that incommon but so do a hell of a lot of games, Skie of arcadia, FF series, BOF series, Devil may cry 2, Grandia series, you get the picture and I get the feeling theyre not all blatant rip offs of VI)./ Shinra company without care drain the Mako from the earth to power there normal every day lives, They have control across the world.

This evil power was set on controlling the world through the use of (Magic/Mako Energy). It would seem only a matter of time before all would be at their feet.Magic would be used so the leaders of the groups would become gods among men, They already controlled the world/Mako would be used to create a new city known as neo midgar so Shinra would live profitable lives of luxury at the planets expense.

But it wasn't enough for them just to control the world. They wanted to control nature itself. FFVI wanted to control nature, FFVII just wanted to use it. J-cells were used in Hojos research for science and he grew his own desires maing the Shinra more powerful

Through the use of (Magitek enhancements/Jenova cells), they created a superpowerful minion. (Kefka/Sephiroth) was extraordinarily powerful, but the experiments were not completely successful. In the end, he went completely insane.A high up ranking officer volunteered to be exposed to magicite granting him the power of magic however something backfired and he went insane. He was not extremely powerful/Hojo an obsessed scientist impregnated his fellow researcher Lucrecia and injected jenova cells into her womb. The baby survived and was born an extremely powerful super soldier. When he learned of Jenova a woman he believed to be his mother was an alien entity unaware of how exactly he was born or from who he believd himself to be some kind of creature also, went insane, slaughtered the town and attempted to release his mother in theory form her containment. A normal soldier managed to defeat him and he died (or did he???)

A vastly evil being, as he demonstrated when he cut down (General Leo/Aeris) in cold blood, and when he then killed the leader of (The Empire/Shinra). OMG Even more evil! Its all coming together now... *plot twist* yowza!
General Leo attempting to stop him from attacking innocents when he gained cintrol of magicites fought him and lost/Aeris the last survivng of the ancients attempted to summon holy as she secretly knew Sephiroth would attempt to summon a meteor to make the planet cry out in pain, attempt to heal itself and Sephiroth would use that healing energy to become a god, Sephiroth was aware of this and after an attempt to manipulate the hero CLoud to kill her failed, He did it himself
The emperor Gestahl was killed because Kefka had used his resources and had attained the power of a god, He was now insignificant so byebye/The president Shinra was killed by Sephiroth because he was holding Sephiroths mother captive which wasnt a big deal because he could take her by force but Sephiroth would not have them attempt to take the promised land full of Mako as it was necessary for him to become the head of Jenova, or a God (Yes many RPG's have bad guys who want and quite often suceed in becoming a god and yes they're all ripping off VI)

He began to fancy himself worthy of godhood, and sought out the means to do so. Our noble heros tried desperately to prevent him from aquiring (the Goddess Statues/the Black Materia), but they were too late.Wow they even tried to stop him! You see my main interest in RPG's is making trendy little graphs of the number of people per town. Stopping the enemy just never crossed my mind.Now as far as I remember the Goddesses were three divine beings who constantly fought each other and eventually to prevent the world from being destroyed were imprisoned in stone/The black materia was the power to summon a meteor to collide with the earth hidden by the ancients in a clever trap.

His power brought chaos onto the world. The (Dragons/Weapons) roamed free for the first time since antiquity.Large creatures which go around attacking to show how tough the bad guy is. Thats original...
Now as I understand it the dragons were creatures used in the war of the magi along with doomgaze, and that stupid bloated frog./The weapons were used by the planet to protect itself. Admittedly similar backstory between those two games in particular but first of few.

People were afraid, but our heros rose up to the challenge. Seeking out weapons of great power and aiming to protect the world they loved, the flew in their mighty airship to the (Floating Continent/North Crater)A conntinent in the sky, A hole in the earth, another Dimension,A great castle, Within a great beast, RPG's people.

where the evil one had gathered all his power together. Fighting through many foes, they eventually reached the center of it all. (Kefka/Sephiroth) was powerful, and had taken on a new image - that of an angel with one wing, beautiful and terrifying at the same time. But they triumphed.Odd what you end up with when you become a god but this is admittedly similar to those two particular games.

But the threat was not over. The legacy of the evil lived on, and promised to destroy (Terra/Midgar). But fortunately for us, a deus ex machina intervenes in the form of the lifeforce of (Terra's human half/The planet). And we all live happily ever after.
Kefka died hence his tower collapsed/Sephiroth died but the meteor didnt and holy was only beginning to move. The rest didnt make a whole lot of sense. Holy was a dissapointment and failed to have the needed effect, it was too weak so the planet did the job for it. Terras esper half managed to get the team out of the tower. Not much of a connection.

Characters? We got em! First and foremost is (Terra/Cloud). (S)he spend some time working for (The Empire/Shinra) but has come to the side of good now. Despite a brief, completely psychotic episode, he/she is a good person, and essentially the protaginist of the story.Terra is born from a human and an esper. She is the only survivor of the empires attack on the esper world (the only one not turned to magicite anyway)She feels no fulfilment in existing as she wonders wether she is really human (or something like that). She has been under mind control (for how long Im not sure of)causing her to lose her memories until an encounter with tritoch released the mind control and Ramuh informed her of her past/Cloud grew up in A mountain town named Nibelheim. He was an antisocial kid who was affectionate towards Tifa Lockheart, He promised to become an elite member of soldier to win her attention and left the town. Some years later he returned in secret on a mission with the legendary Sephiroth and a soldier named Zack. They investigated the reactor and fixed a malfunction. He witnessed Sephiroth go insane and slaughter his home town. Defying all odds Cloud defeated him and threw him into the lifestream from the mako reactor.
Despite a hero with issues they really arent too similar.

You've got lots of others too - (Setzer/Cid) the airship captain (cause you just can't have a final fantasy without an airship, for crikes sake!). People with airships are ripping of VI? Nice work inspector.
(Gau/Red XII) is the most animalistic of the bunch, which some serious problems with his father, but ultimately an honorable being.The only connection here is they're opposites. Gau is an animal in a humans body Red XIII vice versa. Gau grew up on the wild fields of the Veldt with wild animals, Red XIII grew up protecting cosmo canyon and its elders. Im spotting large differences so not much of a connection.
(Shadow/Barrett) is an honorable character with a difficult past. His wife has died, and his only surviving family memeber is his daughter. He is driven to violence by his past and his hopes for the future.Shadow was a runaway who I believed hi robbed trains (cant remember) When his best friend dies (connection) he wandered in depression to a secluded town, had a child and raised a family. When his wife died he left the child and ran off in shame/Barret wallace grew up in a coal mining town. Im honestly not sure about his family affairs. His best friend Dyne and him had some connecion to his Minerva who had a child with Dyne named Marlene. Barret encouraged the coal mining town to modernize itself with the shinra reactors against Dynes wishes. Eventually they did and the shinra double crossed them killing and destroying the town and its people. Barret blames himself for the incident and joined avalnche to fight the shinra. The only survivor Barret found was Dynes daughter marlene whom he raised as his child.
Now I see noticeable similarities in the family matters but all round They've got pretty different lives and certainly personalities. Unless people with daughters and dead wifes are rip offs of VI.

Of course what party would be complete without acception of a few traitors from the other side? (Celes/Cait Sith) worked hard for the other side, but eventually grew tired of the endless bloodshed. Eventually signing up with your group, there were problems with trust, but his/her selfless sacrifice at (the Magitek Facility/the Ancient Ruins) proved them trusted friends.What you said is similar but the charcters sure arent. nuff said.

Martial artists your thing? Try (Sabin/Tifa). Even the honourable martial arts ripp of VI. Im truly disgusted.
More into theivery? (Locke/Yuffie) may be your flavor.yeah or anyone with the steal materia and an obsession. No connection here.
Just want a special character who really makes no sense and doesn't matter much, but we thought would be cool? Try (Gogo/Umaro/Mog/Vincent)!Vinecent? Now I this makes me wonder if you've even played VII cause you certainly dont know much about his connection to the story.

Yes, Final Fantasy (6/7) is a great game. Come play it now, and you'll never forget it!Yeah either them or a video game.
Like I said before. Theres a rare clear connection but frankly most of that post was just pointing out that VI and VII were both RPGs. Im aware you didnt write it but Im making my point on what I do and dont agree with from it. p.s.
but you two just went right to town on it.
To be honest Seph0zo, all you did is state something a particular character or event had in common. If you really wanted to you could do that same thing with more than half the FF series.Yes I clearly went totally out of my way with that post.

Destai
02-07-2005, 07:58 PM
Its not as long as it looks, trust me ;) read a bit every now and again.

Sepho
02-07-2005, 09:05 PM
I'll read it when I get the impression that you read mine, because the first couple blocks of text allow me to grasp the gist of it. You're basically doing the same thing that Shoden did with his - and that would be stating the most intricate details of the story (in your case, you chose to use FF6, whereas Shoden used FF7) to point out the differences.

They're not the exact same same game? Is that what you're telling me? Okay, I appreciate the information. Truly.

As I've said before, it's just an interesting little comparison that is there for the enjoyment of the reader, and you can take it as seriously as you want to - it's all subjective. In your case, it apparently just bothers you to no end. Well, I apologized for that. shrugs I don't know what else to tell you.

I could just reiterate my points, but you'll likely completely ignore them this time as well, so I'll save us both the trouble.

As I was skimming through your post, one part caught my eye, and it mentioned something about games not being a "blatant rip-off of FFVI". You can take this matter as seriously as you like, but please don't attempt to make it seem like I really care as much by exagerrating my description of the comparison between FF6 and 7. I NEVER said FFVII was a "blatant rip-off of FFVI", or anything of the like. I've said the plot of 7 is recycled from that of 6, and I don't think that's entirely unreasonable. "Recycled" describes a situation where Square took the basic premise of FF6 and adapted it to FF7, while changing the details Yes, the stories of the games aren't completely identical in all the details. Maybe that's because they're different games, or maybe I'm just crazy.

Ah, I should mention the Edit button before a CK catches you. I suggest using it instead of double posting. They hate that :(

Shoden
02-07-2005, 09:16 PM
right then what the hell was the point in making that post then you where saying 7 WAS anither version of 6 and that 6 was better. you also stated that the game had too many similarities which was the point in that post so tell us why did you bother melingering by posting that pointless post, now if you excuse ive got a violent kitten to feed ill be back if my hands are still usable. (5 mins max)

Sepho
02-07-2005, 09:21 PM
something

What?

Shoden
02-07-2005, 09:25 PM
thats the same question im asking you, i deent see that quote anywhere.

Destai
02-07-2005, 09:28 PM
I still dont think you get my point. What you would call a recycled game is what alot of people would call an RPG. Although you may not think so that story you posted seemed pretty clearly intent on making them look like the exact same game. Surely you noticed :confused: . You're story didnt bother acknoledging the details, so I did. I think you're taking me the wrong way. I can handle you having an opinion but to be honest I come here to debate FF. Thats my main reason. Dont get so pissed over it.
and the double post was for the members who understandibly couldnt be arsed to read through the first one.

Shoden
02-07-2005, 09:34 PM
you always get the last word Destai well usually i cant be arsed to do it but errr nevermind lol, this so called recycled game statement is a load of Cat piss (seriously it stinks) there was no point in posting it as it was wrong anyway FF7 achieved most things 6 never and thats not 3D graphics but it got most ff gamers into Final Fantasy as the new Playstation (man i remember when i first saw one) was quite popular and people where keen to try out new games you see that word there N-E-W if it was recycled it wouldnt be called Final Fantasy VII would it

Destai
02-07-2005, 09:37 PM
:D Thanks but Sephs keeping me on my guard.

Shoden
02-07-2005, 09:41 PM
never let it down. finally we're on the same side of the arguement instead of against eachother maybe ill get some nachos and coca cola

Sepho
02-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Although you may not think so that story you posted seemed pretty clearly intent on making them look like the exact same game. Surely you noticed :confused: .

Yep:

which is admittedly written in a way to make the games appear as like each other as possible

My first post following the story.

You're story didnt bother acknoledging the details, so I did. I think you're taking me the wrong way.

The details aren't there, because the details are what make them different games, and I have acknowledged that. Once again, the story was never meant to be taken (I assume) as a legitamate argument that they are the exact same game, or anything so bold. I don't know what you're trying to prove, honestly.

I can handle you having an opinion but to be honest I come here to debate FF. Thats my main reason.

Well, uh, I can "handle" you having an opinion as well :). That's to say that I respect yours, and I must say that your debate abilities are rather exceptional for someone of your age. However, I didn't come here to debate. Debate is something that, to be completely honest, I don't enjoy at all. I mean, it's not fun for me in the slightest. I get the most enjoyment out of these forums from posting game tips and helping those who are stuck, and that's the most rewarding way I can utilize my time at these boards. I'm definitely the fence-sitter type who understands both sides of the argument, and I don't like making enemies, or upsetting people. It's just my nature, really.

I'll say again that I respect your opinion, and your debate skill, but..

Dont get so pissed over it.

That's your flaw. By trying with this statement to imply that I'm for some reason getting upset over this whole thing is childish, when in fact I've done nothing but camly defend myself from two people (just as you've calmly iterated your points, which is admirable) even when Shoden (who is obviously the most affected by this whole thing) is, from what I can tell, dancing around the idea of going so far as calling me an idiot (I apologize Shoden, if I'm just paranoid and that's a completely false interpretation).

By the way, there's another big reason I don't like debate:

I still dont think you get my point. What you would call a recycled game is what alot of people would call an RPG.

It's because people don't easily alter the opinions that they stand by so firmly. This can be applied to you and I both. The fact that it's hard to accomplish any amount of mind changing puts me off of trying to make an effort. You appear firm on your stance, and that's completely understandable. I've only appeared less so on mine because, like I mentioned, I'm a big "fence sitter" and I don't like pissing people off, but in general people don't change so easily.

and the double post was for the members who understandibly couldnt be arsed to read through the first one.

Ah, that's understandable. I skimmed through your post for and picked up a good bit of it, and I would have surely seen this at the bottom, too. I just didn't know if you were aware about the double posting rule, so I just wanted to let you know before a CK did.

And I have to put more emphasis on the point that you have thus far debated admirably and I doubt I could have been so capable a few years ago.

Destai
02-07-2005, 09:59 PM
wow...I really appreaciate that! Thanks ^^

Shoden
02-07-2005, 10:05 PM
gee and these days i thought being lasy alot was legal and entertaining but it seems not maybe ill go find a dictionary and pee off ppl with big words

"ANTIDISIFARIANISMDISTISTABLISHMENT" (think thats it) longest word in the english language

DJZen
02-07-2005, 10:07 PM
FFVII, fun to play, sure, but definitely overhyped. It's got a lot going for it, but there's also many things that really detracted from it for me.

1) Reprehensible translation. It's bad enough when there's some basic grammatial mistake that looks bad but leaves the sentence legible, but it goes WAY beyond that. The grammar is frequently confusingly bad, and sometimes the sentences are so badly mangled you have no idea what's going on. Sure, "This man are sick" is cute, but I still have no idea what is meant by "Hmmm, so that's how you'll fool them" "Hmmm, so that's how you fooled them".

2) Cliche'd characters who never fail to stray from the archetype. Cloud is a mercenary with a mysterious past. Sound familiar? If it does, that's because you've read any of a great deal of stories dealing with just such a character. Then of course we have Barret, the sassy black man. Cid is the gritty older guy who's also the archetypical "I missed my big shot in life" guy who OMG PLOT TWIST gets another chance to live his dream!!! Yuffie is of course the obnoxious Japanese school girl, Vincent is that guy in your English Lit class who sits away from everyone else, wears all black, thinks sunglasses indoors make you cool, and writes really, really bad poetry about his twisted soul. He also really likes the bands Skinny Puppy, Ministry, and Front 242. Aeris is the martyr (duh), Tifa is the eye candy, Cait Sith is the mole, and Red XIII is an interesting combination of the teenager who's mad at his parents and the native american. I'm not even going to talk about the villains....

3) Obnoxious and juvenile tone of story. Sure, the basic plot isn't bad at all (when you can make sense of it...), but it's all done so melodramatically. Everything has just a bit too much pathos, it really makes it hard to get behind the characters. Another problem is that the tone is established fairly early on, but it's not maintained. It gets broken up with lots of awkward sillines and plot events that feel very forced.

As far as the game being like FFVI.... Yeah, it has similarities. Many games in the same series have similarities. I definitely like FFVI more though.

Shoden
02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
i never really liked 6 very much

Sepho
02-07-2005, 10:13 PM
wow...I really appreaciate that! Thanks ^^

No problemo ;)

this so called recycled game statement is a load of Cat piss (seriously it stinks) there was no point in posting it as it was wrong

Well, at least you know where you stand, and you're sticking by your opinion :p

anyway FF7 achieved most things 6 never and thats not 3D graphics but it got most ff gamers into Final Fantasy as the new Playstation (man i remember when i first saw one) was quite popular and people where keen to try out new games you see that word there N-E-W if it was recycled it wouldnt be called Final Fantasy VII would it

I definitely will not disagree that FF7 did a good job of converting many casual gamers into FF fans. It was also responsible for making the RPG genre appear to be more 'chic', whereas before it was basically for nerds (not that I have a problem with nerds, or being one, for that matter). The game deserves immense respect just in that regard alone. However, which game is better will always be a matter of personal opinion. It's personally my second or third favorite in the series (I'm undecided), and it was the first one I played. There's something about VI that I will always personally favor. The 2D games as a whole, especially FFs IV - VI, have an undescribable magic that makes me feel fuzzy inside. VI encapsulates the most of that magic, and that's why it's my personal favorite.

Destai
02-07-2005, 10:15 PM
This man are sick Im pretty sure the European version have better translations. They definitely had in our version FFIV( which was released with V on the PS1 if you have the Snes in mind).None of the text in the games has been noticeably bad gramatically but Im getting more and more pushed to play through them again with an eye for detail.

Shoden
02-07-2005, 10:20 PM
"the man are sick" that siunds like something coming out of a 7 year old Rofl, my version was european and had emerald and ruby in so it was slightly a mixed up version.

Shoden
02-07-2005, 10:20 PM
"the man are sick" that sounds like something coming out of a 7 year old Rofl, my version was european and had emerald and ruby in so it was slightly a mixed up version.

-Zohar-
02-08-2005, 02:34 AM
Hey, Im a new member, obviously. Ive been reading these forums for a while, they are quite good, I like 'em :love: .
Well, heres my view on it. Yes, there are blaring flaws right out of the box, especially with this tales' mood (like you just stated). I just feel this part should be elaborated. Forced scenarios make me think of all that hoohah of the Wall Market, if you recall. First off, I will never forget the horrid pain of that event. The running about of the town, the talking to random people, the somehow-figuring-out-after-4-damn-hours that you must go and become an unconvincing transvestite (and when I first played VII when I was 9, my father was most horrified and thought it was a homosexual erotic movie with bad pixelation...rofl), you get the picture. It could have been executed in a much more fun, fluent fashion, but it just...wasn't. >.> Wutai is another example. The Golden Saucer, which is entertaining and all, is another obvious scene. Sure, it is decent for character development and leads into the interesting sidemissions such as chocobo racing and the like...but it seems deprived...like a waste of time, if you can understand.
The characters, in my opinion, are a mixed bag. I absolutely connect with some but others annoy the living **** outta me. I like FFVII a ton and it is in my top 5 games of all time list but its because the core story is so intriguing and there is a great depth about it. Also, it is a perfect meld of science fiction and fantasy, which is something FF loves to try out on occasion (FFIX, anyone? >.>) Well, the main characterization problem is...the protagonist/antagonist duo. You might say OMFG WTF BBQ I LOVE CLOUD AND SEPH!!11!!11111...BUT! Look deeper. Its not even their pasts. I love the history behind them. I just do not build fondness to their trite personality qualities.
Cloud-Ultimate badass hero who can pwn you but cannot remember much of his past (or maybe he just doesnt want to...sorta...forced mental block you can say)
Sephiroth-Ultimate warrior for the terrible cause. Has no morales and is genetically created by government lunatics.
Don't you get sick of the characters that can fill certain roles perfectly?
I mean, with at least Red XIII, Barett, and Vincent they have freshly created twists to their actual person. Remember that Red XIII is a teenager emotionally, but with many more years to live and a great mental capacity. What is he? 42 or something in human years, and above that in intellegence...But for his species, he is just a young teenage youth. He has a lot of weight on his shoulders, having legendary ancestry and the duties to protect the canyon of his hometown. So, something like this makes for an interesting character, right? Barett has reasons to be Mr. T, and Vincent plays a great role in the story and also great background information/history for the events at hand. SE was able to do a lot with these type of characters, so I do not see exactly how the characters are so uninteresting as a whole.
Note: I HATE AERIS >.> (Ready for hate mail)
The thing about FF6=FF7? I know, Squeenix is a greedy company, which is evidence of its recent FFVII milking...AC! Better not suck, now...I feel bad for the FFVII haters though, because of this whole ado about the SE post-FFVII FFVII project (w/e its called rofl) :confused:
Well...I havent played FFVI, but Im going to pretty soon b/c of the Anthology collection (when I get the time and cash, Im getting giddy over everyone saying "CHRONO TRIGGER FFVI ARE ALMOST AS GOOD AS XENOGEARS!11!" :tongue: ) so, I'll have my views on the matter soon...but I doubt Squeeny is that corrupt, yes, no? O well. :greenie: Wait and see...wait and see...

DocFrance
02-08-2005, 03:40 AM
FF7 the best? Far from it. Rather, FFVI pretty much defines the series in excellence.

Well, at least it used to define the series. Now the series is defined by breasts and milking cows dry.

Raistlin
02-08-2005, 03:56 AM
FFT > FF6&7 > FF1-5 > getting your head bashed in > FF8-X-2.

Trumpet Thief
02-08-2005, 03:57 AM
chaos: Agree with the above two posts. :love:

Quina
02-08-2005, 03:59 AM
What about FFIX? It's better than head bash at least!

VII was great but not the best one.

Raistlin
02-08-2005, 04:00 AM
What about FFIX? It's better than head bash at least!
Nah.

JunotDe
02-08-2005, 08:39 AM
Final Fantasy 7 is obviously the best Story Wise its the thing that got me into the game and makes we wanna learn more and more about it. The graphics are terrible they dont even have hands yet hang off stuff but the FMV's are still pretty tight and that doesnt even matter..People still play gameboy's n what not even though it looks like a pile of http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif on a small screen and if theres a girl with huge tits bouncing like tifa's its bound to be atleast a mediocre game The battle system or whatever its called is my Favourit of all the FF's i've played and the characters they have and how they all look is pretty fresh too Im rambling and its cool peace

What Do I gotta say?

FF7 !IS! The Best Final Fantasy ever created
And my favourit RPG of All Time

Destination0
02-08-2005, 10:29 AM
FF7 IS THE BEST GAME EVER
lol... :laugh: nice joke...

FF7 may be one of the best but not THE BEST

some ppl say that it has the best plot..
hello...ever heard of Xenogears or FFT...

In FFVII all u do is chase a guy and until second disc u dont even know y r u chasing him...and the only motivation to chase him is because your hero says "I have to settle the score." ...so u just chase him like a moron...
but I do like few thing about its story and one of the best twist was when one of ur main charecter gets KILLED...that was one hack of a surprise....
every game had good and bad things but the events in Wall Market was too much for me....Honey Bee Inn, Mukki, cloud, transvestite.....awaeeeeee
That was Sick!!!!!!
after that I lost complete respect for this game....

So if u like FF7 fine...
If u dont like FF7 fine...
everyone has their own opinion...
and I just stated mine... ;)

ShunNakamura
02-08-2005, 01:50 PM
What gets me to play VII is nothing more then the gameplay and occasional side quest.... I actually had a huge problem paying attention to the story... actually having to reload once or twice cause I fell asleep while hitting the confirm button :rolleyes2 ..... I never fell asleep during VI or tactics... both I was just waiting for the next development.

The different combinations of materia are fun to try out but no doubt I'll bore of it quickly.... the game really isn't so difficult as to really push you. Keep in mind there I am talking about if you just go straight through(no optionals). That way you can just walk through the game. They should have had an ultra hard setting or something... making the battles much more challenging. Actually that seems to be a problem with all final fantasies.... meaning you need a good story.... and if you keep missing plot developments due to falling asleep then there must be a problem somewhere.

Good game it is, but not the best.

FallenAngel411
02-10-2005, 05:14 AM
I don't know why exactly, but I really love VII.......I actually started with X, and worked my way backwards, and somehow VII just gave me this really weird, entranced feeling. I remember spacing out constantly while I was playing, just wondering about the vague and confusing plot, which still barely makes no sense to me but I can't seem to get out of my head .

Plus, Sephiroth? Yeah....YUM. lol :love:

Shoden
02-10-2005, 04:52 PM
well at least on 7 you could GAMBLE and battle till the death without going to gameover.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-10-2005, 05:07 PM
VI is far superior to VII. And, as was noted earlier, Xenogears has a FAR better storyline than any other RPG I've ever seen, Tactics also had a better story AND was just funner to play. VII is nowhere NEAR the best, it isn't a bad game by any stretch of the imagination but it is most certainly not the best.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 05:28 PM
*coughlosercough*

you dont even know the greatest ff game in the series when you see it do you, VI was old fashioned compared to VII, it had a typical Medieval setting whilst VII had Future and the plot and Story where actually realistic and believable unlike VI and i think Destai can civer a hell of alot more ground than me if you think im full of crap then your in a shock seriously i didnt even like Vi that much i still class it as MEDICORE ont he scale of 0-10 i class it as 5 and VII as 8, VII= PS2 release Vi= FINISHED

Sepho
02-10-2005, 09:36 PM
*coughlosercough*

you dont even know the greatest ff game in the series when you see it do you, VI was old fashioned compared to VII, it had a typical Medieval setting whilst VII had Future and the plot and Story where actually realistic and believable unlike VI and i think Destai can civer a hell of alot more ground than me if you think im full of crap then your in a shock seriously i didnt even like Vi that much i still class it as MEDICORE ont he scale of 0-10 i class it as 5 and VII as 8, VII= PS2 release Vi= FINISHED

If you believe FFVI has a "medievil" setting, then you need to actually play the game rather than look at a few screenshots.

You can favor whichever game you choose - it's your opinion - but seeing you come into every thread that suggests that FF7 is not the most absolutely wonderful game in existence and telling people they're blatantly wrong for not agreeing with said opinion is becoming a little tiring.

I would love it if you expressed why you enjoy the game so much, as opposed to consistently stating why "FF7 is teh rox0r, FF6 is teh CRAP".

realistic and believable

Puh-lease. Elaborate, I mean.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 10:02 PM
i deent speak like that, thats 1 problem the other is 6 was a game that never got my full attention so i never noticed its setting its futuristic in a slight medieval setting.

if you noticed the game explained lifestream to mako to Materia and what Materia was, everything connected n a way that made it slightly believable unlike 8 which shot into time compression but with 7 meteor was a slow process and with these factories and big companies it sounds realistic in a way, Jenova even though its hard to prove aliens exist the Jenova piece of Final Fantasy added to this chain of FF7 everything added up even sidequests which made you understand the game better

§håd0w
02-10-2005, 10:07 PM
FF7 pwns all.. it is so L337!!!!!

7h4t 15 s0 n07 w17h tiemz. d15 i5 1337!!!111 comma hFOURx012 y0!!!1one mie 13et izuh pwnsum!!!

UNPWNED
UNSEXED
VIRGINIZED
DESEXED

Shoden
02-10-2005, 10:16 PM
i dont know what the hell you just said but it didnt sound totally nice

§håd0w
02-10-2005, 10:17 PM
MY 133T PWNT Sephiroth2088's L33T. I VIRGINIZED IT. I BROUGHT PEACE BACK UNTO THE FOREST AMINALS.

AND YES I SAID AMINALS.

FallenAngel411
02-10-2005, 11:15 PM
I love FFVII but it definetely wasn't really realistic and believable.....none of them are, really.....that's why its called 'fantasy'...

Shoden
02-10-2005, 11:19 PM
well VII was the most believable out of the whole lot there was no complexed anti climaxes such as time compression

Destai
02-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Realistic XD

FallenAngel411
02-10-2005, 11:33 PM
Anti-climax? Well....I enjoyed FFXIII....the ending got annoying with all nonstop tough boss marathon, but I loved the story.....

However......

FFVII still isn't any more realistic than FFVIII. I mean, VIII had time compression, sorceresses, and floating academies. Well, VII had ancient sub-humans who would open the door to the promised land, alien races who crash-landed on earth and had their DNA incorporated into people to make them perfect soldiers, and a giant ball of fire bearing down on earth from outer space. It all kinda evens out in the end.

I love both games, nothing bad against either of them, but.....Final Fantasy just isn't very 'realistic', that's all.

Luc
02-10-2005, 11:38 PM
In 1997? Yes. Now? Definitely not.

Ichi just took the words right out of my mouth.. O_O

DMKA
02-11-2005, 04:02 PM
It's the best game ever made, just like the back of the case says. :)

Destai
02-11-2005, 05:58 PM
Its all so clear know.

feioncastor
02-11-2005, 07:03 PM
As far as realistic stories go, FFT had the most realistic story. No super human nothing, with a few exception (Lucavi), but it is based on wars in Europe, I believe right before the renaissance.

FF7 is very good, but I'd call FFT or FF6 the best. I can't really say too many negative things about FF7 because there really aren't too many. But there are more positive things to be said about FF6 than there are to say about FF7.

Feion

Destai
02-11-2005, 07:59 PM
but it is based on wars in Europe, I believe right before the renaissance.
FeionAnd they still wont release it here! The bastards!

Shoden
02-11-2005, 08:04 PM
yes Destai lets rebel and make them release it here or go to ebay

Destai
02-11-2005, 08:05 PM
The American version wont work here so ebays a NO.

Shoden
02-11-2005, 08:22 PM
my PS2 plays NTSC games it has a chip that allows it to

Destai
02-11-2005, 08:36 PM
that doesnt help me much :(

Dreddz
02-11-2005, 08:44 PM
To finish this Topic Yes Final Fantasy VII was the best

Shoden
02-11-2005, 08:46 PM
get your PS2 upgraded or use action replay max and itll be fine as long as the game isnt copied and has default language english

Nova Briar
02-12-2005, 04:37 AM
Okay, I know this thread is winding down to a close (or at least, that’s how it seems), but I can’t pass over without leaving my opinion behind.

Firstly, let me say that the first FF-related game I played was KH, followed by VIII, so hopefully that will help me not have so much “first FF bias” in the debate between VI and VII. And, after having played through VI through X (as well as FFT), I’d have to say my favorite is VII. (*dodges rocks*) Hear me out! I’m not a “better-graphics whore” or anything like that, I promise. (If that were true, I’d be drooling on my X case, wouldn’t I?) I really liked VII because I thought the story was original (*horrified gasp!*), the game play was fun (I liked the Gold Saucer, darn it...and I laughed my head off when I found out Cloud had to dress up like a woman), the soundtrack was superb...a lot of reasons, really.

And I know a lot of you are saying that VII is just a revamped VI (a notion that hadn't crossed my mind until I read it here, actually). Well...so what if it is? I will admit that there are a few marked similarites between the storylines. Even so, they're different enough (in my opinion at least) that my experience of playing through VII for the first time wasn't ruined by observations like "Hmm, this is a lot like VI, which I beat last month..." And you can call me an ignorant fangirl not worthy of her memory card if it makes you feel better; at least I got to enjoy VI and VII for their own merits without being suspicious of Squeenix.

Also, there have been some comments about how the characters are stereotypical. Know what? I really don't see that it matters much. I love the theiving little snipe, and the beautiful woman with mystical abilities, and the moody hero with the troubled past, and the demented villian who has some evil scheme for gaining mad power while destroying most wholesome things in the process. Even if you could convince me that, underneath a few superficial details about appearance and history, they're all the same (which isn't likely)--well, I don't care. A lot of people adore the characters, and that's why you see them over and over again in RPGs. So stick your voodoo dolls of Cloud and Sephiroth to death with verbal barbs like "He's so clichè!" until you feel better, because I love both of them anyway, and so do lots of other VII fans, regardless of any sterotypicalness that may or may not exist (depending on your outlook).

As for the at-your-throat-ness of some of these posts...yeesh, guys. Even if you didn't mean for your reply to come out making you sound like a grouchy evil bishy...well, guess what? To this woman, at least, they did. I mean, you can spend the rest of your life flinging flat-out insults at each other like mudballs (kind of immature to my mind), or picking apart someone's reasons for liking/disliking a particular RPG with a dissection kit (a bit more adult, but still with the same mean-spirited inner child behind it). If most of you are anything like me, it would take something along the lines of Meteor falling on your head for you to remove your treasured favorite RPG from its favorite spot. And believe me, not all of us VII fans adore the plot because we've never played any RPGs with "better" plots (ie, Xenogears)...maybe that's just our opinion. Don't assume we're ignorant, it makes you look rude. ;)

Besides, instead of jabbing at other people's likes/dislikes, it's so much more fun to sit back with a glass of iced tea, read people's "clearly wrong" opinions, smirk as you think "The poor little cretins--they have no idea of good taste", then hurry off to go congregate with the people who adore your fave RPG as much as you. See? No feelings hurt there. (Have I done that? Well...you guess. ;) )

And that, I suppose, is that. Cookies to you if you read all that, twice as many if you're not a huge fan of FFVII and kept reading after the second paragraph. :) *gathers up VII plushies with as much dignity as is possible for a university student who still sleeps with stuffed animals* Ta!

Nova Briar

ShunNakamura
02-12-2005, 04:59 AM
VI vs. VII

Basically both are great games. both have cool characters(overall I like VII's character's more... overall more developed). Both plots are thick and entertwining, however I think they longwinded VII's too much... that or my cold is really getting to me, cause I have actually zonked while going through the plot. VII had great sidequests and mini-games. Whereas VI didn't have many mini-games.

However dispite all this VI had that special feel that in my mind makes a game a good game. VIII didn't have it V didn't have much of it... VII had some but not as much as VI. Parasite Eve had as much as VI if not more. And what I've played of Xenogears shows it to be above VI and PE in that scale.

And these feelings are quite frankly undescribable, it is just a special feel I get when I play the game, and it is what tells me whether I will play it again.

Trumpet Thief
02-12-2005, 06:15 AM
chaos: Xenogears > FFVI > FFIV > Xenosaga > FFVII :)

§håd0w
02-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Katamari Damacacy > Everything :cool:

Talon
02-12-2005, 10:25 PM
FFVII if it was rated(like it was)it was given a 6 out of 10.I say that's perfect for it.

Destai
02-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Whos rating was that? Most rate it above 8/10 and 10/10 isnt uncommon.

Shoden
02-12-2005, 11:31 PM
i give it a well deserved 7/10 not the perfect game but still my favorite out of all FF games then 2nd 6 then 8 then 4 then 10

§håd0w
02-13-2005, 12:05 AM
When FFVII came out: 10/10

Now: 7/10

Times change. It was the "best" then, but not anymore.

Nova Briar
02-13-2005, 12:07 AM
I don't think it's really fair to lower a game's rating b/c of improved graphics...because graphics, while a plus, aren't all there is to a game. Know what I mean? But that's just me.

Destai
02-13-2005, 01:07 AM
I think so too, The battles, FMV's, definitely the Storyline, and the music itself (not the quality though) are all impressive in this day and age.

Rase
02-13-2005, 01:21 AM
Final Fantasy VII: Really the best?

Nope.

Destai
02-13-2005, 01:23 AM
There you have it people, Undeniable proof-
Final Fantasy VII: Really the best?

Nope.

Rase
02-13-2005, 01:30 AM
There you have it people, Undeniable proof-

Never said I was right, just answered the question. And no, I won't get dragged into a huge debate/argument/Senate Meeting, no matter what you say. *runs*

Destai
02-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Ya you better!

*shakes fist*

Nova Briar
02-13-2005, 01:54 AM
(*jumping over the no-it's-not-the-best/yes-it-is-too posts...* :p Sorry, I had to pick on you guys. :lol: )

I think so too, The battles, FMV's, definitely the Storyline, and the music itself (not the quality though) are all impressive in this day and age.
And the fact that VII is still played by many fans today despite the now-inferior graphics is--in my humble opinion--testament to the fact that VII in general is a great enough game to be thoroughly enjoyable, even though the characters usually look like an 8-yr-old lumped them together from Play-Doh. ;)

§håd0w
02-13-2005, 02:13 AM
I'M NOT JUDGING ANYTHING ON THE GRAPHICS... I JUST PERSONALLY THINK IT'S NOT COMPARABLE TO NEWER GAMES.

Destai
02-13-2005, 02:14 AM
I stated in that last post why it is, So why isnt it?

§håd0w
02-13-2005, 02:23 AM
COMPARING BATTLE SYSTEMS, THERE WAS A MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT IN FUTURE FF GAMES.

COMPARING MUSIC, THERE ARE BETTER OST'S IN EVERY GAME NOW; IE, LESS REOCCURING THEMES.

GRAPHICS ARE A NOBRAINER, BUT I'M NOT COMPARING THOSE.

OR WAS THE QUESTION DIRECTED TO SOMEONE ELSE?

Destai
02-13-2005, 11:32 AM
WOW GOOD POINT BUT-

COMPARING BATTLE SYSTEMS, THERE WAS A MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT IN FUTURE FF GAMES.The FFVII was just as good and I for one (Im sure theres many others) enjoy VII's much more than VIII's, IX's was pretty good but I prefered the materia system, I liked X's but alot of people didnt, X-2's was just so random, Maybe realistic but it was so hard to form a stratedgy in such fluent battles. I certainly prefer the materia system to all of those other games and the battle system is just as good as the rest and better than most.

COMPARING MUSIC, THERE ARE BETTER OST'S IN EVERY GAME NOW; IE, LESS REOCCURING THEMES.Less recurring themes? Many say FFVIII was one of the best FF OST's and you cant tell em that had little recurring themes, or IX, or even X. X-2 wasnt worht listening too. The sound quality is bad but to be fair you didnt mention that. The music itself despite of the quality is some of the best ,if not the best in any FF game.

Im using gamemusic.com as an example. This isnt accurate and it is possible people could rate it twice and Im not compensationg for that
VII has 127 reviews, 2 people gave it less than five stars.
VIII has 83 reviews, 6 people gave it less than five.
IX has 112 reviews, 7 people gave it les than five.
X has 101 reviews, 7 people gave it less than five.
You might be saying VII has been around much longer than those OST,s. Well it sold out on that site ages ago and hasnt been in stock for ages. Theres not much of a difference and VII did just as well with low quality midis.

§håd0w
02-13-2005, 08:20 PM
I GUESS EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO THEIR OWN OPINION.

Heartless Shadow
02-22-2005, 08:15 PM
ff 7 is the best no doubt about it.It had the best storyline and villens i mean look at sephiroth! he was one of the best! and the weapons.nothing could of been done about the graphics but really who cares? i for one dont

Wiegrahf42
02-23-2005, 03:07 AM
Meh, FFVII in my humble opinion cast it's highly superior cousins, Xenogears, and Final Fantasy Tactics (The true best Final Fantasy followed closely by VI and IX) into shadow with the massive amount of hype that accompanied it's release.

Masamune·1600
02-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Final Fantasy VII is, in my opinion, the greatest video game ever made. I can't help but think that everyone who extols FFIV and FFVI while denigrating FFVII suffers from some sort of combination of nostalgia and desire to go against the mainstream. Having played every FF, I still think VII has the most compelling plot and the best characters. People who find "inconsistencies" in the story are probably missing details. VII challenges the gamer with a complex story that never quite reveals everything. This was not a flaw; it was an intentional decision designed to enhance the game. Criticism of the graphics is asinine; the FMV's and prerendered backgrounds were incredible for their time. Musically, only VI really rivals VII.

FFVII really only suffers from the onus of bearing the title as "the best." There will always be people who attack it, but these attacks are based more on what FFVII did on a social scale rather than the game itself. If nothing else, FFVII stands as perhaps the single most influential video game ever made. It, more than anything, is responsible for the explosion of the RPG genre outside Japan, and also was one of the pioneers of the strategy guide.

Rase
02-25-2005, 11:32 PM
I can't help but think that everyone who extols FFIV and FFVI while denigrating FFVII suffers from some sort of combination of nostalgia and desire to go against the mainstream.

Or maybe they believe they are supieror games. :eek:

How come it's seems like a lot of people think this, that if you like FFIV or FFVI more than FFVII your just trying to be different and "cool"?

Masamune·1600
03-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Or maybe they believe they are supieror games. :eek:

How come it's seems like a lot of people think this, that if you like FFIV or FFVI more than FFVII your just trying to be different and "cool"?

It might be because that's what seems to pass for "cool" on an FF forum. If everyone likes FF enough to be involved with this forum, then it stands to reason that some people will try to stand out by dismissing the mainstream opinion. There seems to be a massive rift between the so-called "old-school" and "new-school" gamers, and old-school seems to rally to those two games, while new-school supports FFVII and either VIII or X. However, both of the arguments are flawed, because both are so interested in bashing the other that they ignore whatever the other side has to say.

One of the things that leads me to question the old-school view is that FFV is never mentioned while FFIV and VI are celebrated. FFV is the link between the games, and in some ways the culmination of the original style of the series, yet is almost totally ignored. This could lead an observer to endorse the influence the nostalgia factor: the "we played FF before FFVII so we're inherently better" view.

New-school, of course, isn't blameless either, since so many of its proponents have never played pre-VII Final Fantasies. You can't fully justify dismissing the older FF's if you haven't played them. Further, many of them probably do put too much significance on graphics. And, of course, there is bound to be bias (and quite a bit) toward their generation of games.

Returning to the old-school point, it seems to me that most FFIV fans on this site would probably prefer FFIV as it appeared with Nintendo than as it appeared on FF Chronicles. This would weaken their case, as the 'old' FFIV (or FFII, if you really prefer) was edited and censored to the point that it became ridiculous. Just a (notable) point.

I am not trying to offend members of either side. However, this is really how the argument sometimes appears: biased on both sides.

Now, as to my personal opinions, I honestly do feel that FFVII is the best FF. I listed my reasons earlier; they are my opinions, and no one is forced to agree with them. However, I have legitimate reasons, which is more than quite a few people here can say.