PDA

View Full Version : Spirits Within: Flop or Great

rubicant
02-08-2005, 02:56 AM
Well, do you think SW was a horrible piece of crap or great movie in itself?
Voice your opinion here. Personally, I thought it blew and I don't even see why Final Fantasy was included in the title.

Necronopticous
02-08-2005, 03:01 AM
I loved it, everything about it.

zimmunky
02-08-2005, 03:07 AM
I liked it, It was as original as a Final Fantasy game. Square was bold to do it, Because you really didn't have time to develop with the characters, and the worlds wern't too imaginative also for lack of time. But I loved it as a stand alone movie, but to Square's standereds...We can just hope Advent Children will be better.

Roogle
02-08-2005, 04:19 AM
While it may or may have not been a good movie, it really messed up the financial status of Square at the time. I said that it flopped.

Loony BoB
02-08-2005, 01:37 PM
It was okay, but it still flopped. You can't deny that. :(

Cless
02-08-2005, 03:55 PM
I just saw it the other day and I couldn't really get into it. I don't know, I just found it was lacking something. I guess some bits were pretty cool (like the way they shoot out that goo stuff to land when they jump off the ship) but I really expected more. I must say, I was actually quite dissappointed. The bonus commentary on the DVD is hilarious though! Were those guys drunk or something?

It was a major flop though. Would I be right in assumming that it was the reason Square merged with Enix?

Destai
02-08-2005, 04:36 PM
The animation was the biggest treat but if I wanted to stare at something interesting looking Id have watched the cat in the hat. I couldnt find any entertainment in it at all.

Shoden
02-09-2005, 11:08 PM
what he said

i liked the spirits within but not as a final fantasy its a good movie but it lacks something that makes the game itself the Soul of FF was there but not all of it they could of used swords, why do ppl thin aki ross was a hot babe? she didnt look any dif than any other strong ff female chars eg Tifa Rinoa Yuna ( Aeris Yuffie Quistis Selphie Garnet Beatrix and Rikku werent truely strong or main chars)

spirits within was the cause of the ff7 remake project to delay almost die out

The Man
02-09-2005, 11:09 PM
It was just so-so. Visually, it was stunning, but it didn't have the "Final Fantasy" feel, and there wasn't enough of a plot.

Shoden
02-09-2005, 11:22 PM
yeah it was a good movie but not in Final Fantasy Terms

Rase
02-10-2005, 06:43 AM
It was what you get trying to cram a videogame series, with games that almost all take at least 20+ hours to complete, and cram it into 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Ain't gonna happen.

Flop.

Narcissus Reborn
02-16-2005, 03:39 AM
Personally, I was slowly moving into the FF games when i saw this movie so at that point I loved it. But now, I really can't say the title of "Final Fantasy" was necessary, kinda like my opinion of Crystal Chronicals. The graphics were beautiful and the over all movie thrill was not above or really below any of my standards of a good movie. So this is a "so-so" for me.

Desert Merchant
02-16-2005, 04:37 AM
I thought it was a great movie in itself prob not worthy of the FF title just because it was on our earth and not a made up planet and there was no FF things like swords and monsters but i mean some things were in the FF sense I think there was a cid in there and the whole lifeforce thing was in the FF context but in my opinion good movie but not a good Final Fantasy

kikimm
02-17-2005, 12:43 AM
I really, really liked it, but I seem to be the minority here; and that's somewhat disappointing. I think it has a wonderful story, and characters; good action sequences as well. I liked it. :)

:D

nik0tine
02-17-2005, 03:04 AM
From a visual standpoint, it was incredible. The rest of it seemed to kinda suck though. I realized that after about the fourth or fifth time I saw it.

Loony BoB
02-17-2005, 07:41 AM
why do ppl thin aki ross was a hot babe? she didnt look any dif than any other strong ff female chars eg Tifa Rinoa Yuna ( Aeris Yuffie Quistis Selphie Garnet Beatrix and Rikku werent truely strong or main chars)
Probably the same reason they think any other ff female character is a hot babe, including those you mentioned.

Neurotic
02-17-2005, 06:35 PM
From a visual standpoint, it was incredible. The rest of it seemed to kinda suck though. I realized that after about the fourth or fifth time I saw it.

Same case here...After I got over all the uber-spiffy CGIness, there just wasn't much left to drool at.

Trusty Rusty
02-18-2005, 04:15 AM
I thought the movie was good. There were several places I found myself laughing at the characters. I even used a part of the movie as an instructional/motivational briefing with my JROTC. I just wish it could have been longer and more in depth but I said it was great. I even bought the Video Tape just as a collectors piece.

dodhungry
02-18-2005, 04:41 AM
great movie.. I liked it and thats all that counts (not really but it sounds good)

tcichosz
03-05-2005, 09:20 AM
I thought it was good, but I think CGing at least ONE chocobo would've gotten a few more bucks for square. It also could've used a mog, and maybe some magic... or a summon or two.

Wait, I take back my initial comment; the movie sucked.

Monol
03-05-2005, 03:11 PM
I thought it was awsome.....i mean it was more "just" a movie....as for final fantasy standards i guess it really didnt come up handy but i thought it had everything to be a good movie...romance, insane villan, decent story,awsome badguys (phantom that is) and of course probably one of the kewlest "death" scene ideas ever...but i can UNDERSTAND why you wouldnt like the move but personally for me being the final fantasy fan that i am i definatly put it on my top 10 fav. movies :cool: loved the ending.... :D that in itsself saved the movie for me....great music...and im a romance freak so they pulled that off very nicely :cool: but any hoot...i thought it was cool...very kewl in fact (GO MINORITY!!!)

Chibi Youkai
03-16-2005, 04:16 AM
as to quote from some gaming magazine that I don't remember, it goes something like this: "No people in the movie, no people in the theater"
It was a flop. Wish I could remember the magazine. Probably somewhere in the millions of piles of them in the basement.

krissy
03-16-2005, 04:30 AM
i liked the story and the characters more than the visuals

honestly if you think the cat in the hat was more interesting then you might have low expectations plot wise

Destai
03-28-2005, 11:36 PM
The bonus commentary on the DVD is hilarious though! Were those guys drunk or something? :lol: I can imagine it perfectly. The creators realise how screwed the movie is and attempt to drink there troubles away.

honestly if you think the cat in the hat was more interesting then you might have low expectations plot wiseI think you read my post wrong.

Alice
04-17-2005, 01:56 AM
I really love FF spirits within, the movie wasnt so much an ff game in movie form but kind of like an explanation, or guide to the beliefs intertwined into many of the FF games, it was like an extension.

Meat Puppet
04-17-2005, 12:05 PM
Sometimes I pretend to be whoever came up with this movie. I get in a pickup truck, pick up a hooker and let her do her business, then drive out to a remote location, put a loaded gun in my mouth and pull the trigger.

Zante
04-17-2005, 05:47 PM
I didnt like it. It had nothing to do with Final Fantasy, even Cid was changed to Sid. The story itself was only average, and I didnt find the characters interesting. The vilian also sucked, imho. But I have to admit that the graphics were awesome, Square did a realy good job on them.

Raven Nox
04-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Well, I only watched it once, and don't remeber much about it, but the only real part I remeber is the ending, and I hated the ending. The rest of it was ok, was the greatest movie, wasn't the worst. The worst movie for me a Cabin Fever, now THAT sucked... the only movie I remeber ever walking out on, Final Fantasy wasn't nearly as bad, so I give it a so-so, I did enjoy it, till about half-way through.

JAS4Yeshua
04-23-2005, 11:58 PM
From a Hollywood standpoint, the movie was a flop, which was unfortunate. From a personal standpoint, I enjoyed the movie enough to buy the DVD.

Some say that it wasn't true "Final Fantasy" but it did follow the same thematic elements. True, it was more sci-fi than fantasy, but it still didn't detract from the overall theme. Graphics, too were quite stunning, and the voice-cast was superb.

**ShadowZone**
04-26-2005, 01:29 PM
I thought this was a great movie although it lacked something, not sure what, maybe the storyline.. I dont know.. A good movie overall.

edczxcvbnm
04-26-2005, 03:38 PM
This was a terrible movie. Bad character development and bad characters. Rushed story. Lots of other problems. It did terrible at the box office and screwed square for good. It might have been good or at least redeemable if they had added another 45 minutes to the movie and actually developed everything.

XxSephirothxX
05-02-2005, 03:47 PM
It's an undeniable fact that the movie was a flop. You could still say you loved it, and thought it was great, but it DID flop. I can't say I really enjoyed the film, although I didn't think it was horrible. Just a bit dull and disappointing.

Rinoa Heartilly
05-24-2005, 08:58 PM
It was what you get trying to cram a videogame series, with games that almost all take at least 20+ hours to complete, and cram it into 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Ain't gonna happen.

Flop.

I agree. And it flopped.

I still think it is a great movie though, and voted as such. They used lots of mythology and symbolism to make up for the short time they had to show the story in. Unfortunally not many people got it, so it flopped.

Ofcourse there are bound to people who understood the symbolism and still didn't like the movie.
I liked it fine though..

telirium
06-12-2005, 01:52 AM
Question: if the movie had been a game would anyone have played it?

NotQuiteNecessary
06-17-2005, 04:09 AM
The movie was a genuine attempt to make something good, but it didn't have a large enough timeframe. That's what made Koudelka so damned disappointing.

Hikaro Takayama
06-25-2005, 01:40 AM
Yeah, If it would have been an actual Final Fantasy GAME (i.e. plenty of time for charachter development and in depth story) rather than a rather rushed 1.5 hour movie, then I'd have enjoyed it more. The CG was still good. I don't think it should have been called Final Fantasy since (a) it takes place on Earth, (b) there wasn't one single Chocobo, and (c) no Moogles, crystals or summoned creatures either. Even though they Ripped the main character and villian from VIII and stole the Sister Ray from Midgar and put it in orbit, it still wasn't the worst movie I've seen.

Compactfury
06-26-2005, 04:04 PM
This movie was HORRIBLE i cant believe how bad it is. it is a disgrace to the final fantasy games. The only reason probably half of us here liked it is because we play final fantasy. it was OK, but if none of us played final fantasy, think of how bad it would be compared to the other movies... see what i mean, i mean if you dont play FF then there is no reason to even try watching it. it was overall a bad movie and i really didnt like it.