PDA

View Full Version : Random Facts

bigbri2k5
02-09-2005, 12:31 PM
Does anyone know any really pointless facts that you'll remember forever but still not know where you learnt them?

Dr.K
02-09-2005, 04:39 PM
An ostrich's eye is bigger than it's brain.
Spooky.

Strider
02-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Armadillos are the only animals on earth aside from humans that can catch leprosy.

Faris
02-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Faris: All sorts of random stuff about planets :)
- All planets and constillations are Roman or Greek related.
- random stuff
- Some computers are the devil :p

Tarkah: I like potatoes
- I have a lovely bunch of coconuts

Samuraid
02-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Cat urine glows under a black light.

Ezme
02-09-2005, 06:45 PM
So Thats what was on my male friends bed.......

Blackmageboi
02-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Butterflys taste with their feet!

Doc Sark
02-09-2005, 07:18 PM
A pig can ejaculate up to five metres.

ummm...have you got something on your face.

Dr.K
02-09-2005, 08:00 PM
I've been told that if you open a sealed envelope in the dark, it gives off sparks where you break the seal. Sound ridiculous? Well, it did to me, but i've yet to try it, and my sister says she's WITNESSED it.
Is this random fact or fiction?

ISRviper
02-09-2005, 08:21 PM
apart from humans dplhins are the only other species that have sex for fun. This means that if any of you are not haveing any luck with a person of the opposite sex you can always take a dip in the ocean :love: :love:

Old Manus
02-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Denial is the most predictable human response.
What a pile of crap.

Rainecloud
02-09-2005, 08:58 PM
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."

Personally, I don't agree with that, but well...

Rye
02-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Seeing that pig one, I was gonna post the weird fact about Sperm Whales, but I decided against it.

bigbri2k5
02-10-2005, 11:44 AM
Pure water does not conduct electricity

gokufusionss1
02-10-2005, 01:58 PM
water is considered the strangest liquid on earth.

Scottie
02-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Starfish have no brain.

The Man
02-10-2005, 02:17 PM
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit."

Personally, I don't agree with that, but well...
"Sarcasm is the lowest highest form of wit."

Fixed? http://www.fools-gold.org/forum/images/smilies/ezpimp.gif

Dreamtiger42
02-10-2005, 02:18 PM
A humans eyes never grow :confused: your born with adult sized eyes that why babys have such big eyes :confused:

cool huh? :D lol

Lindy
02-10-2005, 02:26 PM
The Earth has a second moon called Cruithne that encircles it fully every four hundred years.

Rusty
02-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Elephants are the only mammal that can't jump.

Snails can sleep for up to three years.

Thats all I can think of.

omnitarian
02-10-2005, 04:04 PM
I've been told that if you open a sealed envelope in the dark, it gives off sparks where you break the seal. Sound ridiculous? Well, it did to me, but i've yet to try it, and my sister says she's WITNESSED it.
Is this random fact or fiction?

If wintergreen tic-tacs and band-aid wrappers can glow and spark when broken, I'm sure there's envelopes somewhere that can do the same thing. Obligatory science-y link. (http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Triboluminescence.html)

Random facts, eh? My two favorites;

The universe is estimated to have 70,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars.

Male bees can't sting, and worker bees can only sting once. But the queen bee can sting as many times as she likes.

mythus
02-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise, every other planet does so counterclockwise.

Pluto and it's moon share the same atmosphere!

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-10-2005, 05:11 PM
Scottie has not posted here in about a year and a half.

The Man
02-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Scottie has not posted here in aboput a year and a half.
Spiff made a typo. He must be drunk, for it is well known that all people on the Internet who make typos are drunk.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't know what you're talking about.

The Man
02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
It's probably for the best.

Carnage
02-10-2005, 10:59 PM
during the cold war the USA's missle codes were all zero's.

Tama2
02-10-2005, 11:43 PM
left handed ppl on average will die 5 years before right handed ppl.

Craig
02-10-2005, 11:51 PM
30 Hornets can kill 30,000 Bees in an hour.

Tasura
02-11-2005, 01:36 AM
put distilled water in the microwave for 2 minutes. it wont boil, and then throw a sugar cube in and it will explode!

Ichimonji
02-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Peanuts are one of the ingredients of dynamite.

bigbri2k5
02-11-2005, 12:52 PM
The earth actually has 6 moons
There is a tenth planet in our solar system named after an astronomer

Tasura
02-11-2005, 09:37 PM
if you add up all the numbers on a roulette wheel you'll get 666

Emily52
02-11-2005, 10:01 PM
left handed ppl on average will die 5 years before right handed ppl.
Don't scare me.
That can't be true!

UltimaLimit
02-11-2005, 10:41 PM
left handed ppl on average will die 5 years before right handed ppl.I hope it's not true. But it would explain the dismal results I got. Well, dismal compared to other people.

Random fact: I lost my balance and fell out of my chair while typing this. Don't ask me how.

radyk05
02-11-2005, 11:37 PM
read my sig.

The Man
02-12-2005, 11:24 PM
The earth actually has 6 moonsWhat the hell?

Flamethrower
02-12-2005, 11:33 PM
A pig can orgasm for over 30 minutes.

Shoden
02-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Hatlepool was once Governed by *drum rolls* a Monkey
an average human eats 8 spiders a year when asleep

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-12-2005, 11:55 PM
The lenght from shoulder to finger tip, divided by length from elbow to finger tip= length from head to floor, divided by length from navel to floor= lenght from hip to foot, divided by length from knee to foot=Phi=1.6180 Which is the Divine proportion. Everyone is a girl before your sex changes in the womb, Whooping cranes mate for life. The Bible is the most stolen book....ummm...i know there is more....

Ryth
02-13-2005, 12:57 AM
Take your arm and touch the wall with your fingertips, arm fully extended, then lift it up, rub your elbow and then set it back on the same spot without moving, your arm has shrunk...

Jojee
02-13-2005, 01:18 AM
Haha Seph, it works XD

Frogs never drink.

Slade
02-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Elephants are the only animals on this planet that have forward facing knees on their front legs. Not even humans do (elbows go backward)

DMKA
02-13-2005, 09:11 AM
The Earth has a second moon called Cruithne that encircles it fully every four hundred years.
That must be where Queen Serenity lives.

Mr. Graves
02-13-2005, 03:13 PM
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit..."

"...so how can you not GET IT!?!"

I had to throw that in there even though none of you will understand it.

Levian
02-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Octopuses has a donut shaped brain, and their tummy goes through the hole in the middle, so they can get mentally retarded if they eat too much.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-13-2005, 04:21 PM
That must be where Queen Serenity lives.

Nope, in the manga it says she lives on the moon, in the Mare Serentas, The Sea of Serenity...Go figure?

DMKA
02-13-2005, 05:46 PM
Nope, in the manga it says she lives on the moon, in the Mare Serentas, The Sea of Serenity...Go figure?
:eek:

CloudSquallandZidane
02-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Tornados spin counter-clockwise.

A person is as hairy as a gorilla, but the hairs are thinner.

Internet Explorer Sucks and Mozilla Firefox is superior.

DMKA
02-13-2005, 10:16 PM
Internet Explorer Sucks and Mozilla Firefox is superior.
You've got that one reversed, my friend.

Ryth
02-14-2005, 12:57 AM
And to add to my posts it eventually and quickly grows back. :eek:

Dixie
02-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Mark Twain was born on the day Hailey's comet was in view. He died on the day it came in view.

Shrimps' hearts are in their heads.

A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.

The longest place-name still in use is
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakita

The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford
English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

If you toss a penny 10000 times, it will not be heads 5000 times, but
more like 4950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.

In most advertisments, including newspapers, the time displayed on a
watch is 10:10.

I know lots of usless information.:D

Strider
02-14-2005, 07:21 AM
My hometown, Fresno, California, is the largest city in the United States that does not have an interstate highway running through it.

Indianapolis, Indiana, is the largest city in the United States that doesn't lie next to any body of water (lake, river, ocean, etc.)

The Man
02-14-2005, 06:57 PM
You've got that one reversed, my friend.Blasphemy!

Shoden
02-14-2005, 07:29 PM
33%+ of America is Gay

the longest word known to the English Language (non scientific) is Antidististablishmentariumism

Female Rabbits are more violent than males

the ugliest Creature known to man is Michael Jackson (nothing matches his ugliness dont take any offence or be shot)

GhandiOwnsYou
02-14-2005, 07:50 PM
If barbie was a real person she couldn't stand upright. her boobs ar too big, her back is too strait, and her feet are too small to support her weight. so she would tip forward every time she tried to stand strait and her enkles would snap from the pressure of her weight!

Stand facing a wall, and bend at the waist until your forehead touches the wall. now grab something heavy with both hands and attempt to stand back up. Men can't do it, women can, because their center of gravity is at the waist, and a mens is in the chest! This is so that women can become pregnant without ruining their back, the baby is at center of gravity!

If you play "another one bites the dust" backwards it say "it's fun to smoke marijuana" over and over.

If you feed alkaseltzer to a bird, it explodes. the stomach can't contain the pressure.

Coca Cola concentrate, when being transported in the tankers, has to have the highest class of toxic chemical warning stamped on it.

On average, you are never more than three feet away from a spider.

According to the USDA, every bottle of ketchup is permitted to have 8 insect legs inside of it without being declared in-edible. Texas pete is allowed a half cockroach (these both are chopped up and liquified, so you won't actually FIND a leg or roach in your sauce. but you'll be eating it ANYWAY! mwuha!)

If santa claus existed, assuming that he only visits christian homes, and only half of those children are on the nice list, and also that he travels at a speed that would allow him to visit every home, with two children per home and a fraction of a second per stop to land, drop presents, and get back in the sleigh, he would burst into flames in less than a quarter of a second from friction due to air and be completely cremated in less than a second. merry christmas!

The New Kid
02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Glass is, in fact, considered to be a liquid. It is the most viscous liquid in the world.

Tasura
02-14-2005, 08:59 PM
if you add up all the numbers on a roulette wheel youll get 666.

UltimaLimit
02-14-2005, 10:03 PM
if you add up all the numbers on a roulette wheel youll get 666.If you play Russian roulette, add up the serial digits of the bullet, and divide by 13, you get 666. :p

On average, you are never more than three feet away from a spider.*looks around*

Dogs sweat through their feet only.

Dogs have both a summer and winter coat. They don't simply grow extra fur and then dump it again after winter. They actually produce two seperate coats for summer and winter, which is why they shed so darn much.

"Dog breath" is not normal--it is bacteria causing the odor. Take your dog to the vet to get his teeth brushed.

"Star" spelled backwards is "rats".

Lightning can, in fact, strike the same place multiple times.

The ancient Egyptians, when calculating the sides of the base of a pyramid, were inaccurate by only a fraction of an inch, despite having no tape measures.

Tasura
02-14-2005, 10:34 PM
China has more English speakers than the United States.

A railroad tanker car carrying propane traveled over 3,000 feet when it exploded during a train wreck in Illinois, sheering off a steel tower in it's path. It's the longest flight on record for a propane explosion.

The Mint once considered producing doughnut-shaped coins.

Chewing gum while cutting onions will prevent crying

The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.

The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.

The world's termites outweigh the world's humans 10 to 1.

Sharks apparently are the only animals that never get sick. As far as is known, they are immune to every known disease including cancer.

The fastest bird is the Spine-tailed swift, clocked at speeds of up to 220 miles per hour.

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive from each salad served in first-class.

There are four cars and eleven light posts on the back of a ten-dollar bill.

All clams start out as males; some decide to become females at some point in their lives.

It's possible to lead a cow upstairs...but not downstairs.

In 10 minutes, a hurricane releases more energy than all the world's nuclear weapons combined.

The largest Great White Shark ever caught measured 37 feet and weighed 24,000 pounds. It was found in a herring weir in New Brunswick in 1930. (yay new brunswick)

The Bible has been translated into Klingon.

There are only 12 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet.

Duelling is legal in Paraguay as long as both parties are registered blood donors.

Five Jell-O flavors that flopped: celery, coffee, cola, apple, and chocolate.

On average, 100 people choke to death on ball-point pens every year.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

In Cleveland, Ohio, it's illegal to catch mice without a hunting license.

When Heinz ketchup leaves the bottle, it travels at a rate of 25 miles per year.

When a female horse and male donkey mate, the offspring is called a mule, but when a male horse and female donkey mate, the offspring is called a hinny.

Im done for now.

Rye
02-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Oh man, that reminds me. A female lion and a male tiger produce a Tigon while a Male Lion and a Female Tiger make a Liger. :D

Giga Guess
02-15-2005, 03:39 AM
Each side on a dice, when added to the opposite side, equals 7.

An ostrich's brain is smaller than it's eye.

zorander
02-15-2005, 09:44 AM
* A cockaroach can live for upto 9 days without it's head befor it starves to death.
* Sharks never get sick, they are imune to all known illnesses, even cancer.
* A ducks "Quack" is the only animal sound that doesn't echo
* MDMA - the chemical compound found in drugs like ecstasy and LSD can also be found in Ergot - the mould that grows on rye bread and wheat.

Shoden
02-18-2005, 12:42 PM
the Earth isn't a proper Sphere

GhandiOwnsYou
02-18-2005, 07:55 PM
In florida, it is illegal to drink beer from a bucket on a street corner.
In Virginia, it is illegal to have anal sex.

dependent on your body weight (I way about 190, for this estimate) If you drink a little over 250 cans of soda, the caffiene will kill you.

Duct tape has additives in the glue that will heal cuts like neosporin, but the glue is strong enough that when you pull off that tape the scab that forms will come off repopening the wound.

If you freeze an onion it won't make you cry when you cut it.

If you cut apple slices and drip some citrus juice on them they won't turn brown

If you place an apple in a paper bag with a bannana it ripens faster.

commodorejohn
02-18-2005, 08:32 PM
The longest place-name still in use is
Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakita.
Hawaii. That could only come out of Hawaii.

Rats can't vomit.

Cockroaches can't belch, so if you feed them Alka-Seltzer it ruptures their digestive tract.

Nod
02-18-2005, 09:35 PM
This is the longest place name in britain, Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwchllantysiliogogogoch. It Welsh and it means "the church of St Mary by the hollow of the white aspen, over the whirlpool, and St Tysillio's church close to the red cave".

SeeDRankLou
02-18-2005, 10:33 PM
The longest word in the English language, according to the Oxford
English Dictionary, is pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.

According to the 18th Edition of the Guiness Book of World Records, the longest word every written down is:

methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanyl-glutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanyl-valylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycyl-isoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucyl-isoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucyl-glycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartyl-glycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucyl-arginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanyl-glutaminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucyl-isoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolyl-isoleucylglycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalyl-phenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyl-tyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylvalylaspartylseryl-methionylglutaminylarginyltyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanyl-glutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylalanyl-valylprolylphenylalanylvalylthreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolylglycyl-isoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylleucyl-isoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucyl-glycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolylleucylalanylaspartyl-glycylprolylthreonylisoleucylglutaminylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucyl-arginylalanylphenylalanylalanylalanylglycylvalylthreonylprolylalanyl-glutaminylcysteinylphenylalanylglutamylmethionylleucylalanylleucyl-isoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolylthreonylisoleucylprolyl-isoleucylglycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalyl-phenylalanylasparaginyllysylglycylisoleucylaspartylglutamylphenylalanyl-tyrosylalanylglutaminylcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylvalylaspartylseryl-valylleucylvalylalanylaspartylvalylprolylvalylglutaminylglutamylseryl-alanylprolylphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidyl-asparaginylvalylalanylprolylisoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolyl-prolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginylglutaminyl-isoleucylalanylseryltyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucyl-leucylserylarginylalanylglycylvalylthreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginyl-arginylalanylalanylleucylprolylleucylasparaginylhistidylleucylvalylalanyl-lysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasparaginylalanylalanylprolylprolylleucyl-glutaminylglycylphenylalanylglycylisoleucylserylalanylprolylaspartyl-glutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylglycylalanylalanyl-glycylalanylisoleucylserylglycylserylalanylisoleucylvalyllysylisoleucyl-isoleucylglutamylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolyl-glutamyllysylmethionylleucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalanylvalyl-glutaminylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine

This word (excluding the dashes) is 1913 letters long. It is simply the elongated, spelled out 267 amino acid sequence of a protein called Tryptophan Synthetase, which has the chemical compound C1289H2051N343O375S8. There are large proteins in the world, but no one has bothered to write out the amino acid sequence like this.

The above is kind of cheating though, because there are in theory several words longer than that, so the official longest word in the English language is:

acetylseryltyrosylserylisoleucylthreonylserylprolylserylglutaminyl-phenylalanylvalylphenylalanylleucylserylserylvalyltryptophylalanyl-aspartylprolylisoleucylglutamylleucylleucylasparaginylvalylcysteinyl-threonylserylserylleucylglycylasparaginylglutaminylphenylalanyl-glutaminylthreonylglutaminylglutaminylalanylarginylthreonylthreonyl-glutaminylvalylglutaminylglutaminylphenylalanylserylglutaminylvalyl-tryptophyllysylprolylphenylalanylprolylglutaminylserylthreonylvalyl-arginylphenylalanylprolylglycylaspartylvalyltyrosyllysylvalyltyrosyl-arginyltyrosylasparaginylalanylvalylleucylaspartylprolylleucylisoleucyl-threonylalanylleucylleucylglycylthreonylphenylalanylaspartylthreonyl-arginylasparaginylarginylisoleucylisoleucylglutamylvalylglutamyl-asparaginylglutaminylglutaminylserylprolylthreonylthreonylalanylglutamyl-threonylleucylaspartylalanylthreonylarginylarginylvalylaspartylaspartyl-alanylthreonylvalylalanylisoleucylarginylserylalanylasparaginylisoleucyl-asparaginylleucylvalylasparaginylglutamylleucylvalylarginylglycyl-threonylglycylleucyltyrosylasparaginylglutaminylasparaginylthreonyl-phenylalanylglutamylserylmethionylserylglycylleucylvalyltryptophyl-threonylserylalanylprolylalanylserine

This is the chemical name for the "Coat Protein, Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Dahlemense Stain", used to stain certain residues in said virus's proteins. It (excluding the dashes) is 1185 letters long. It was used in the publication Chemical Abstracts in 1972.

Itsunari 2000
02-18-2005, 10:36 PM
In Switzerland it is illegal for males to pee standing up after 10.00 pm

A Tiger has stripes on it's skin as well as on it's fur.

Albert Einstein originally designed refrigerators.

When lava is under the ground it's called magma.

Nod
02-19-2005, 12:27 AM
A couple of palindromes:

Satan, oscillate my metallic sonatas
Dogma: I am God.
:tongue:

Quina
02-19-2005, 02:18 AM
A peanut is neither a pea nor a nut. Wait maybe it is a nut. The barber called my name before I could read the rest of it.

Phil
02-19-2005, 02:52 AM
I think if you leave Ketchup (sp?) on tin foil, it will burn a hole thru it, but I cant remember how long it takes.

Flamingos can only eat with their heads upside down.
A rat can fall 5 stories without injury
Only 55% of America knows the sun is a star
Well, now its 55.1% if you didnt know and your american
It is physichally impossible for pigs to look at the sky
All the swans in england are property of the Queen.
The adverage human body can make 7 bars of soap out of fat.

http://www.hookedonfacts.com/index.htm
Yeah, I'm a cheater. So what?

Little Miss Awesome
02-19-2005, 03:30 AM
Hartlepool once hung a monkey that was found after a shipwreck, it was clothed, so the citzens beleived it to be a french spy, so it was hung, after not answering questions it was given when put on trial.
A lot of people still deny this, but you now know the truth- you may thank me :D

Mittopotahis
02-19-2005, 12:09 PM
It is impossible to lick your elbow

90% of all people who have read the above statement tried to lick their elbow

Appless
02-19-2005, 01:10 PM
I know I did :p

Giga Guess
02-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Did you know that while a katana is made to CUT, and English style sword is more meant to bash, or crush.

Little Miss Awesome
02-20-2005, 03:35 AM
Heehee this is fun...

Phil
02-20-2005, 03:52 AM
It is impossible to lick your elbow

90% of all people who have read the above statement tried to lick their elbow

Actually, I was able to lick my elbow, however, I am double jointed.

UltimaLimit
02-20-2005, 06:28 PM
I managed to lick my elbow, too. I'm not double-jointed, though.

91% of all people who have read the above statement tried to lick their elbow

GhandiOwnsYou
02-21-2005, 02:13 AM
i didn't think it was your whole elbow, i thought it was just the TIP of your elbow?

anyway. the extra skin on your elbow tip is called your Wenis (like Penis, leading to hundreds of dumb jokes. "Dude! You know you can't lick your own Wenis! *giggle*")

Based on the definition of the word, "word", any number of Syllables combined together is technically a word. so next time you say "Aint" and someone tells you it isn't a word, make them feel dumb by informing them that the definition of a word is "any combination of Syllables put together in spoken or printed form with the intent to convey meaning." dumb English Teacher! (this is by the way, marvelous in college, where my father did this to an english teacher who mocked him publcily for "using fake words" in papers. she gave him an A on every assignment after that *grin*)