PDA

View Full Version : Not for the faint of heart...

haravikk
02-09-2005, 03:43 PM
Okay, so I can't actually remember HOW I found it, but I have a feeling it was probably my mind powers seeing into the future or something, yeah it was definitely that.

Now, I'm not a Final Fantasy VII fan-boy parse sé. In fact, I've not even completed the game for the first time yet (I got it second hand at Christmas from eBay), though I'm pretty far on.
But, in my trawls around the internet, I often stumble across unusual and cool things, and unfortunately for my parents and possibly everyone else that knows me, I found this (http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&FDX=&FMAX=&SORT=&ITEM=WM-5000&LOCATION=PHOTOS)

Okay, so what am I (a mere mortal) going to do with this? Well for one, I ordered myself one ;)
After that I'm not sure, it ought to make an awesome display piece/collectors item for my wall, I might also learn to use it. I don't know anything about these things really, but I could learn enough to do some basic practice with it.

For those of you too lazy to follow the link, I'll give a picture to show you what in the hell I'm actually talking about:

http://www.macfora.com/forums/uploads/post-2323-1107690168_thumb.jpg (http://www.macfora.com/forums/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=9800)

In case you miss the front page and just sit drooling at the pictures, that thing is just under 6' 2" (I'm 6' 3") and the handle is metal in order to balance it.

NOTE: It isn't despatched till the 28th of March, I know this is ages way (and I want it right now :() but I'll try and borrow a digital camera to take some pictures of it actually being held, to give a better idea of the actual size

Silmaril
02-09-2005, 04:56 PM
I'm extremely jealous. Learning how to actually use it would be so cool!!!

Cecilia
02-09-2005, 05:05 PM
:eek: *faints*.......*wakes up 1 hour later* MINE!!! *steals Masamune and runs off* Muhahahahaha!
Okey, seriously now ^^;.. Ooo, I want one of those!*jumps up and down while clapping hands* My mom would kill me if I ordered one though... :mad: :tongue:
It's longer than I am :D *used calculator*We use centimeters in Sweden so yeah.. Im 168cm(5'5ft)... and the sword is about 188cm(6'2ft) :D

Psychotic
02-09-2005, 05:08 PM
It does look pretty sweet, but due to its size I imagine it would be really hard to use effectively.

Doomgaze
02-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Wow, that looks... like a piece of crap.

" Learning how to actually use it would be so cool!!!"
With such a short handle? If you look at a real no-dachi the handle is MUCH longer so that it can, you know, actually be used. You wouldn't be able to get enough leverage with that dinky little handle.

Ultima Shadow
02-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Well... I've got a few real swords myself already.
If you want a sword just because it's cool and to have it on the wall, then it's great. But if you actually want to use it, then theres alot of swords that's much better to practise with. In fact... I think that's a pretty bad fighting sword. Most fantasy-based or movie swords are mainly made just for the look and not for being used. And keep this in mind: When you practise... don't start off by just swinging it arouns wildly. Take it carefully in the begining and get to know the sword before you start using it so that you don't hurt yourself or someone else. Tell me when you've got it. :cool:

Edit:

Wow, that looks... like a piece of crap.

" Learning how to actually use it would be so cool!!!"
With such a short handle? If you look at a real no-dachi the handle is MUCH longer so that it can, you know, actually be used. You wouldn't be able to get enough leverage with that dinky little handle.
Like I said... it's only good for the look. (But I tried to say it in a nicer way... after all he spent 200 on it). ;)

Jojee
02-09-2005, 05:22 PM
It's just a looking item really xD But it looks nice.

Hehe my bf is really into swords, he has like 4 of them... one of them I got him for $250 for Christmas ^^ They're pretty and usable. I like swords. *impales* >=D

Rainecloud
02-09-2005, 05:23 PM
You could make a killer kebab with that thing.

haravikk
02-09-2005, 05:23 PM
The dinky little handle is about the same length as most two handed swords would have :P

And I think I'll be pretty careful when I get it and try it out, I do like my arms, I'm kind of attached to them :)

Doomgaze
02-09-2005, 05:26 PM
to compare:
the "masamune" - 13" handle
the no-dachi right next to it - 27" handle

m4tt
02-09-2005, 05:56 PM
What am I supposed to be impressed about again?

Ultima Shadow
02-09-2005, 06:25 PM
What am I supposed to be impressed about again?

Okay, so I can't actually remember HOW I found it, but I have a feeling it was probably my mind powers seeing into the future or something, yeah it was definitely that.

K-chan
02-09-2005, 09:27 PM
It does look pretty sweet, but due to its size I imagine it would be really hard to use effectively.

I think the blade would break off if you actually tried to hit anything with it. -_-;; That's why its probably only for decoration.

haravikk
02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
I think the blade would break off if you actually tried to hit anything with it. -_-;; That's why its probably only for decoration.

There is that possibility, though to me the blade looks pretty strong, it is actually pretty thick (and surprisingly light for it's size). I'll run it through a few tests, but since I have no training in the use of swords it is mainly a crazy fan-boy/collectors item sort of thing.
Unless if upon checking Britain's laws I find it was never made illegal to carry a sword (only use it) then I could just carry it everywhere to be even more weird. There are still quite a few eccentric laws left in Britain, such as the one which until recently technically required you to have a sword when crossing the central quadrangle of the main Glasgow University building.

to compare:
the "masamune" - 13" handle
the no-dachi right next to it - 27" handle

But if you think about it, the Odachi has a blade 2/3rds of the length, which means it is designed for more flexibility of movement and thus requires a longer handle. The Masamune has a 50% longer blade so more length in a single direction, so you wouldn't be spinning it or anything as you'd just hit the ground or chop off your legs or something, I know I keep saying I'm not much of a sword collector but, the Masamune's handle seems perfectly adequate for the style and length of sword to me.

haravikk
02-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Also, in case some of you didn't look about a bit, I'd like to draw your attention to another FFVII replica:

http://www.weaponmasters.com/images//products/WM/SHI001L1.jpg (http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&FDX=&FMAX=&SORT=&ITEM=SHI001&SORT=&FDX=&FMAX=)

I'm amazed that they made one! I decided to go for the Masamune though because it is much cooler (and I reckon much easier to play about with from time to time), the Buster Sword is an impossibility as a sword though! Also the reports of it being extremely heavy, and one comment actually talking about people complaining about the blade breaking from the handle kinda turned me away as well!

Psychotic
02-10-2005, 12:25 AM
The Buster Sword featured would be a pretty effective weapon.

If you dropped it out of a fourth-floor window. :D

DeBlayde
02-10-2005, 07:51 AM
when I first started playing FF 7, I thought to myself, "an airplane someplace is missing its wing." The only way a sword like that could exist would be if it were made from some super light alloy

The first swing of the Sephir-sloth's sword would overbalance you, you'd smack it into the ground, the blade would break or deform beyond hope of repair and I'd jump out and smack ya for ruinin' such a pretty thing.

It's pretty, though. myself I'd take the handle off and put one on that was about 3 feet longer. that'd be about right.

swords are nice. :love:

Resha
02-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Also, in case some of you didn't look about a bit, I'd like to draw your attention to another FFVII replica:

Good luck swinging THAT THING!!! The first looked pretty cool; it seems to be lightweight and all, and the blade is bee-yoo-tiful. The second one's an evil monster.

Polaris
02-10-2005, 11:47 AM
So beautiful....... ;) they are all great!!!

Dianom
02-10-2005, 11:57 AM
WOW, I collect swords myself and wow, I've seen hundreds and thats very nice, the blade does seem a little long especially for ur first, if ur tall u shouldn't have too much to worry about.
I prefer the balde sword myself (which I have) but still very nice

Peegee
02-10-2005, 11:59 AM
The buster sword would require practice from a less heavy sword up to it. My brother has a 'paper cutter' sword (ie those office paper cutters -- he ripped the cutter part off and ran away with it), and the damn thing is so heavy -- I can't use it effectively but he can!

Why? Because he practices and I'm a wussy pansy

bigbri2k5
02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
I've got a few swords in my room for display. The best onres i have are either a replica of the blade sword or the elven sword from lord of the rings!!!

Dianom
02-10-2005, 02:08 PM
I've got a few swords in my room for display. The best onres i have are either a replica of the blade sword or the elven sword from lord of the rings!!!

Yea the balde replica is kool, I have it too

meowwl
02-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Definitely pretty, but I agree about the hilt being too short..unless it's made with a lead pommel, or you have the wrists of an ox :eyebrow: ...besides..a blade like that gives me nasty notions about overcompensation. :tongue:

Super Christ
02-10-2005, 02:36 PM
That buster sword is too short.

Now a good BFS would be 7 feet long overall with a foot and a half long handle and a foot-wide blade. Still wouldn't exactly be useful, but at least you wouldn't be half-assing it.

Citizen Bleys
02-10-2005, 02:53 PM
That looks useful. I'm constantly being assailed by bandits on the way to work, and for some reason, they never have guns.

Erdrick Holmes
02-10-2005, 02:58 PM
I can probably use a sword like that. I'm so good with melee weapons.

haravikk
02-10-2005, 03:11 PM
The first swing of the Sephir-sloth's sword would overbalance you, you'd smack it into the ground, the blade would break or deform beyond hope of repair and I'd jump out and smack ya for ruinin' such a pretty thing.

It's pretty, though. myself I'd take the handle off and put one on that was about 3 feet longer. that'd be about right.

swords are nice. :love:

Well I reckon you wouldn't be swinging it downwards unless you have a good hold of it with both hands (and are confident you won't miss ;)), but one handed I'd expect you'd stick to horizontal swings, so just as long as you can stop yourself spinning in circles it could be used with some effect. The real evil comes in having the strength to lunge with it, with that length you can be lunging at the enemy while they're still running over to you ;)

I think I'm sticking with the Masamune though, I don't really like the buster sword (though it looks kinda cool but not as nice as the Masamune), that and I can't afford to buy every cool sword I see, I'm a student so I shouldn't be buying ONE!

...besides..a blade like that gives me nasty notions about overcompensation.

I've already bought my girlfriend three swords, it's about time I had one :p

Doomgaze
02-10-2005, 05:50 PM
That looks useful. I'm constantly being assailed by bandits on the way to work, and for some reason, they never have guns.

They're also handy against Tetragrammaton clerics, mind you.

gokufusionss1
02-10-2005, 06:18 PM
that's nowhere as good as the swords my grandpa used to make in his shed.

Citizen Bleys
02-10-2005, 07:04 PM
They're also handy against Tetragrammaton clerics, mind you.

Why bother killing clerics? They're already dead, they just don't know it yet.

Rather like most political lobby groups.