PDA

View Full Version : BIG BADGUYS or little badguys

Gunblades
02-09-2005, 08:26 PM
Do you prefer the ultimate badguys in FF to be Big Bloaters like Sin or regular sized hunks like Sephroth. I know that regular badguys have the habit of appearing huge, but im talking throughout the game.

personally i like em BIG lol :love:

turnitup5000db
02-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Nah... little bad guys are more threatening. Theoretically, its the same as a gigantic dude who can bench 350 versus a more sleek guy who can bench 325. The giant might have a little more power, but the sleek dude is almost bound to be more agile, quicker, faster, and is definitely a smaller target, while packing almost the same punch.

Xander
02-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Hmm. I'm not sure. I think the sight of Sin approaching is a LOT more scary than the sight of Sephiroth approaching. Really. And if you really saw Kuja approaching, come on you'd probably just laugh. xD I like BIG bad guys, not that Sin was exactly a "guy" as such, but I think the whole Sin concept was pretty interesting and different from just having a villain like Sephy or Kuja. Although I like them too. ^_^

Gunblades
02-10-2005, 06:40 PM
i prefer the massive villians because you can take advantage of the notion of fantasy much more. Sephroth was still just human (in form at least) and so he could be beaten in combat and swordplay, but Sin was, well miles up and gigantic. even if he landed you would have to cut your way through his Sinspawn.

Destai
02-10-2005, 09:58 PM
Sins just a mindless killing machine though, right? I like my bad guys to have a little more plot like Sephiroth and let them unleash the killing machines.

Xander
02-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Well, not really, there was a whole plot to Sin too. I just can't be bothered to explain it.. xD

Destai
02-11-2005, 04:40 PM
More of a method to becoming sin than a plot. The only real plot was the reason he was created, admittedly interesting but I'd have preffered a character.

feioncastor
02-11-2005, 06:12 PM
And if you really saw Kuja approaching, come on you'd probably just laugh.
Yeah, but not because he's small. Rather, because he so damn manly. He's super-duper.

I think that it all depends on character development. And I'm quite frustrated that people will only compare guys like Sin to guys like Sephiroth. I fell that I should remind you all that they made 6 of them before they made FF7. Play them sometime.

Kefka was a normal sized villian and he was scary and evil as hell. He is a way better villian than Sephiroth, Ultemecia or any of the later villians. I'd fear him way more than Sin, and definitely more than Sephiroth, who just a man with extraordinary abilities, not a monstrosity like Sin.

But as I said, it all depends on character development. Without the right development, Kefka wouldn't seem as evil as he does, therefore, wouldn't be as scary.

And for those of you blasphemers out there, Kefka is a bad from Final Fantasy VI, the best one they made in the numbered series. Way better than 8, 9, or 10, and just a bit better than 7.

Feion

Destai
02-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Um yeah in your almighty opinion.

feioncastor
02-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Um yeah in your almighty opinion.
Finally someone gets it.

Hehehe, no I dont' think my opinion is almighty, but I recently read a post from someone who said "I've played through FF7 and FF10, so I know what this series is all about", and that bugs me that people think they know what FF is all about when they've only played the newer ones. I think they're all boring as heck, with the exception of FF7 which was really good.

FFX is like watching a movie. A good movie, but still very little game play. I liked the cloisters, but other than that, you do more watching and listening that you do fighting or playing.

FF9 is okay, but couldn't hold my attention. When I played FF1-FF7 (and FFT, mind you), I couldn't stop playing. I'd go to school and all I'd think about is getting home to play it. But with FF9, I was hoping the game would hurry up and be over so I could move onto another one. I don't know... It just didn't have the magic that the others had for me.

FF8 is awful, terrible, boring, lame, and too focused on love story. They all (prettymuch) have love stories, but even the commercials for the game advertised it as a love story. That's not what FF games have ever been all about.

I haven't gotten around to FFX-2 yet. I will soon, though.

I just wish that everyone could experience the magic I experience with FF6. It really is incredible, even to this day. I still hurry home from school and work to play my fave FF games, and find myself quite addicted to them, which is something that just never happened with FF8 and after.

But to each his own, y'know?

Feion

Destai
02-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Ok I was out of line and I see your point about only playing VII and X. I just get annoyed one someone declares one game better than all the rest.

Del Murder
02-11-2005, 11:15 PM
I think the best villains look just like the heroes.

Destai
02-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Why is that?

Necronopticous
02-12-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't care how big or small the enemy is so long as they're well developed villains.

personally i like em BIGThe words of a macrophile.

Craig
02-12-2005, 12:26 AM
The best type of villain is small, Kuja for example, he could be related to and you could tell he had a reason for his actions. Plus the fact that he doesn't attract mass ammounts of fanboys/girls is good too.

Del Murder
02-12-2005, 12:27 AM
Why is that?
Easier to identify with.

Flamethrower
02-12-2005, 01:18 AM
I like villians to come in all sizes, but I generally find that the best ones are the human-like ones.

kikimm
02-12-2005, 03:44 AM
Definitley smaller. And human-looking, for godsake. I, personally, am tired of villains in games being huge, warped, beasts with limbs going everywhere.....it's not intimidating AT ALL. Sin? A pushover. Not scary. it's always the little guys that I'm worried about. Why are they so small? They always have some big tricks.

For once, I'd love to play a video game that has a HUMAN for the villain, from start to finish. Even Sephiroth got warped at the end, which disappointed me. :( Maybe I'm silly, but a human would be much more scary, and I'd be a hell of a lot more nervous.

Ugh. Rant is done.

:D

ShunNakamura
02-12-2005, 05:07 AM
I had this discusion a while ago.... And Kefka would by far scare me the worst.

Sephiroth probably wouldn't do anything thing to me unless I was in his way... and then I could expect a fast death more hten likely.

Vs.

Kefka.... he would scare my pants off... sure in the game he is quite a pushover... but he is off his rocker and you never know what he would do.... particually if you made him mad.... heck even if you were his ally you couldn't guarante yourself safety. His insanity and clownish face and evil laugh make him scary..... and funny... but don't laugh to his face.... that wouldn't be smart.

Gunblades
02-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Sin wasnt a mindless killing machine, Sin was the Armour of YuYevon who got sadistic pleasure out of destroying the world

Kuja, now theres a joke.

I dont identify with ANY villains in FF, i rarely identify with any villians because being a badguy is often the easy way out. When you look at Manhunter with william petersen, i can cry for the toothfairy because you see a point where he may finally get a normal life and then his own madness ruins it. It isnt his human form or even any humanity that i can understand, it's his mind. If anything Human looking badguys repel me.

This is fantasy, a realm where your imagination can run free, if i want human looking badguys i only have to look out my window or turn the News on.

but thats just my oppinion.

rubah
02-12-2005, 08:39 PM
I rather liked ex-death as a villain. I mean, come on, he's a TREE. what's scarier than trees, honestly?

But all you people that said you preferred human like villains. . .You should have fallen all over Shuyin then.

Rase
02-14-2005, 07:42 AM
Human-sized ones with deep character that morph into a giant monster after you beat thier small form. Eg. Zemus/Zeromus from FFIV (except the character part, but no ones perfect).

turnitup5000db
02-14-2005, 11:50 AM
I dunno, I guess I always thought that a little dude with the same destructive power as a huge dude was scarier than the huge dude, just because you can pretty safely assume the little dude hasn't reached his full destructive power yet. I guess it just makes it seem like stopping him is a little more imperitive, before he gets even stronger. Though I must admit, baddies like Sin and Zeromus are impressive. Its just that if you look at it and try to predict the possible outcomes, the little dude is very likely to get stronger and whip it up on the whole world, while the big dude is pretty much as much of a juggernaut as hes going to get to be.

On a personal note, I really HATE how every bad guy on the face of the planet has to have a few dozen MILLION forms. Can't we just have a baddie that stays in the same form, but also gets stronger as he goes, you know, sort of like a CHARACTER? A baddie capable of improving almost without limit is scary to me. That means that if you beat him and let him go (probably because you're being distracted by the villiage baka) he's likely to come back a million times stronger and kill you off.

Gunblades
02-14-2005, 03:32 PM
how about LOADS of baddys :)

Xander
02-14-2005, 03:38 PM
And I'm quite frustrated that people will only compare guys like Sin to guys like Sephiroth. I fell that I should remind you all that they made 6 of them before they made FF7. Play them sometime.

Since I am the one who compared Sin to Sephiroth I'm guessing you're talking to me. And hey, guess what, I know there are 6 more Final Fantasies! The title of the topic was big bad guys or little badguys, so I took what I thought to be two of the best examples of each, randomly chosen. No I havent played much of the first 6 so I didn't use examples of villains from those. FF includes 1-12, not everyone has to play the first ones, it doesn't mean they aren't aware they exist. And imo, people who act like I-VI are the only FFs worth mentioning, are as bad as people who act like VII-X are.

Gunblades
02-14-2005, 03:48 PM
see, i only mention the ones from seven onwards because those are my Fav and i dont like the others as much, but some people think thats a crime, tough luck :)

Destai
02-14-2005, 04:28 PM
agreed.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-14-2005, 05:06 PM
All Final Fantasies have some merits, believe it or not. Feion did state that he's played all but X-2. It's good to play all of the Final Fantasies, not just exclude either the older or the newer ones.

That being said, I like human-sized enemies and large enemies, it depends. For example, in Xenogears when you fight Grahf while you are in your gears and he's pounding the crap out of your gears ON FOOT WITH HIS BARE HANDS is probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen in a video game. I also am not averse to larger enemies, the major thing is that they're well developed.

Gunblades
02-15-2005, 07:17 PM
well if someone WANTS to diss the FF's they havent played, thats their choice, they have freewill and should be allowed to use it unless it hurts someone. However i have played the pre-seven FF's that were released on PS1 and im simply not into oldschool graphics where FF is concerned, nor do i personally find their storys as good. But when you mention this alot of people go nuts instead of being glad that theres more FF for them to have.

i feel sometimes people want villians to be TOO deep. there isnt anything deep about being hurt so you want to hurt others back, yet this is a classic background for a villian or even a hero. Keep it clean and sympol, and concentrate on "showing" the character off

Destai
02-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Loads of people seem to raise there eyes if someone enjoys a game that "happens" to be 3D. If someone said FFVII is the best game ever! the general opinion is :rolleyes2 , But if someone feels that way about VI its more "yeah VII can suck it". I dont agree with Newer is better but "some" people should wipe away the cobwebs and realize older isnt necessarily better either.

amratis
02-15-2005, 08:31 PM
Loads of people seem to raise there eyes if someone enjoys a game that "happens" to be 3D. If someone said FFVII is the best game ever! the general opinion is :rolleyes2 , But if someone feels that way about VI its more "yeah VII can suck it". I dont agree with Newer is better but "some" people should wipe away the cobwebs and realize older isnt necessarily better either.

what he said. Sorry I'm too stupid to add anything further.

Gunblades
02-16-2005, 03:10 PM
the fairys would say that you should enjoy what you like. But alot of people are to busy mouthing off about weather you like what they like.

for many, likeing something older simply makes them feel more die-hard, for others it's a genuine enjoyment and viceversa. It doesnt matter because it's not life or death.

turnitup5000db
02-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I don't even think about the graphics when I'm deciding whether I like a game or not. If it looks cool, yeah, great, but it isn't crucial. I look at story, gameplay, and occasionally sound, but mostly the first two. This might just be me, but I think that pretty graphics are to attract morons with too much money who are mesmerized by shiny things. In an RPG, how could the graphics possibly alter the experience significantly? I can see maybe a first person shooter. Doom was kind of hard for me to play, and I admit that was because I have a stigmatizim and I couldn't see squat. But doom 3 seems to be much easier to play, because even if I can't see EXACTLY whats going on, I can still get the whisper of motion. But in an RPG? That, to me, is like saying that people who aren't exactly pleasing to the eye must be dull and boring, while pretty people are all interesting. I find such an attitude interesting in the gaming world and the real world, considering I have seen some real lookers who were ditzy/boring beyond belief and were really not worth my time. Ok, my rant is over. Whos next?

Gunblades
02-18-2005, 05:07 PM
sound and music doesnt bother me at all, the story is good, but if the gamplay is better then the story doesnt matter. I do enjoy a graphically designed game. I dont mean cool computer graphics or smooth pixels, i mean a well designed look, if somethings going to be gothic i like it to be really gothic and not just look like a good idea that looks cheap.

If im playing a real role playing game in the real world, i like to use my own imagination. BUT when you play one on a computer your allowing it to create the world and story instead of your imagination, thats why the look of the game is imporant to me. I love all the old atari games because they were fun to play and look good for what they are.

Weather nerdy people are boring or not depends what you like. I am strict Vegan so, yeam im looking for the type of person i find attractive, but it also matters whats inside alot to me. I know alot of sexy people and alot of trodden on people who are plain nasty, i also know sexy people and trodden on people who are really nice, thats life

Wiegrahf42
02-22-2005, 03:41 AM
I go with more human villains. The fact that Id, Sephiroth, Grahf, and Kefka were essentially human made all their feats seem more cool. Human also tend to have more personality then some hulking monster.

Gunblades
02-22-2005, 02:48 PM
thats just because of bad writing tho

kalaspappa
03-03-2005, 03:30 PM
I like BIG bad guys as well, but when they are so silly as sin is...

Maby if he had 3 or 4 more million hp...

But the most scariest villain in Final Fantasy is Sephirot.

Gunblades
03-03-2005, 09:29 PM
sin is silly, a creature, or rather armour that has terrorised a world and kept it technologically repressed for over a thousand years.

Destai
03-03-2005, 09:41 PM
I didnt find it silly at all. I thought it was interesting and with the powerful religion claiming technology made it more violent it seemed possible to me.

Gunblades
03-04-2005, 07:52 PM
i wasnt saying it was silly, i liked him, i was pointing out how he was cool because kalaspapa said he was silly

crashNUMBERS
03-05-2005, 01:20 AM
I know Im late for this topic but I think the little guys are more threatning. I mean the huge guys that look like hulks are so 80's. *turns around to see if anyone is here* Think of sephiroth versus chaos, zeromus,and any other big boss. *turns around again* OMG its sephiroth!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

kalaspappa
03-05-2005, 09:28 AM
I did not mean that sin is silly himself, I just think it is a bit silly when a 2 kilometer large beast cannot hurt you.

Gunblades
03-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Hey i'm from the 80's, it was a hell of alot more original than any crap produced in the 90's lol

welll it says in the guide that sin has powers that can decimate the group, and bear in mind how easily he leveld Zanakind and wiped out civilisations. If he doesnt kick your characters butts, thats the game developers fault :)