PDA

View Full Version : Lv1 Ozma Challenge

Ultimate99997
02-09-2005, 08:32 PM
I justed started playing ff9 all over again for the first time in a few months - instead of simply completing the game normally I thought that I'd try something new and challenging. After looking around websites and faqs I came across an interesting challenge - - - -to beat OZMA with a level 1 party of characters.
Level one party of course meaning all 6 main characters being at level 1!!!!
I thought that this wasn't possible - but after reading about it I found out that it is POSSIBLE!!!!! Thus I have begun my journey and have succeded so far......
If anyone is interested in doing the same thing or have already acomplished this please give me information or tips! I would greatly appreciate it.....

SoftReset
02-09-2005, 08:43 PM
I've done it. I haven't beaten the game completely at Lv.1 but I've beaten Ozma, Quale, and Tantarian at Lv.1

I'll help you out if you have any questions.

Ultimate99997
02-09-2005, 08:47 PM
Great - someone has done it! Anyway - do you know when you have to fight the black mages inside Gizmalukes grotto - (these are unavoidable fights) - I have tries to cast stop on them but it hardly ever works. How did you get past them without getting experience? Oh yeah - and how long did it take you to actually get to OZMA on your level 1 game?

SoftReset
02-09-2005, 08:51 PM
For those Black Mage fights in the Grotto...it was a long time ago for me. I don't recall Vivi having the Oak Staff at that point but I could be wrong.

Anyway, you have to have Zidane steal the Needle Fork from the Zahgnol during the Festival of the Hunt.

Give it to Quina and equip her with the Add Status ability and equipment that will raise her Spirit. If you're lucky she'll Petrify them. Keep trying, if the Mage's Hp gets low use a potion, if it takes WAY too long just reset and try again.

It took me a long time to get to Ozma, maybe playing off and on for a few months. You'll have to power up Thievery and Dragon Crest for Ozma, that's about 8 hours or so to do both.

The game itself moves along pretty quickly since you run from all random encounters. Some people I know have toyed with the idea of doing a Lv.1 + ExII game, and who knows, maybe it can be done as long as you don't go after Ozma until after getting ExII.

Off-topic:

The edit feature is great.

Ultimate99997
02-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhh - ok then, thank god I stole the needle fork. Haven't tried to use petrify yet but I do have the oak staff cause I got it when searching with choco. OK then - I will use stop and petrify (thankfully I have the patience and determination to actually do this)

SoftReset
02-09-2005, 08:58 PM
It shouldn't be too bad. Both Stop and Quina's Add Status have low success rates at Lv.1, but those Mages shouldn't take too long since they don't have very high Spirit.

Again with the editing...

Make sure Quina learns Limit Glove. You can get this now, head to the forest a little north of the Chocobo Forest. You can encounter Mandragoras there, they'll come in 2's or 3's, so have Quina eat one and then Flee.

Be careful though, they're pretty tricky.

Necronopticous
02-09-2005, 09:00 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=54748

I did this exactly one month ago.

Alexander
02-10-2005, 06:35 PM
It shouldn't be too bad. Both Stop and Quina's Add Status have low success rates at Lv.1, but those Mages shouldn't take too long since they don't have very high Spirit.

Again with the editing...

Make sure Quina learns Limit Glove. You can get this now, head to the forest a little north of the Chocobo Forest. You can encounter Mandragoras there, they'll come in 2's or 3's, so have Quina eat one and then Flee.

Be careful though, they're pretty tricky.

Or simply eat a Axe Beak near Lindblum (Lindblum, not Dragon's Gate). They are so easier than Madragora o.o

Del Murder
02-19-2005, 06:48 PM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=54748

I did this exactly one month ago.
And I think one topic on that is good enough.

Good luck!