PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger v. Chrono Cross

rubicant
02-09-2005, 08:55 PM
This is yet another poll I am making. Which do you think is better CT or CC. I'm voting for CT. CC's maastery system was as bad as FF2. And you need elements to heal :cry:

EDIT: Crap. I forgot to add a poll. Just voice opinion, I guess. :cry:

The Man
02-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Trigger was better, but only because of the mind*bleep* that was Cross's second disc. I loved the elements system in Chrono Cross; just goes to show you that different people have different tastes, I guess.

edczxcvbnm
02-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Chrono Trigger was better. Cross was very good though and gave it a run for the money. I just wish some things were not there to artificially extend the life of the game(go fight all the dragons).

Super Christ
02-10-2005, 05:56 AM
Trigger was definitely better. While Cross was excellent, it had way too many useless characters. Like almost all of them. That being said, Cross still ranks as my 3rd favorite game ever, right behind Radical Dreamers.

Destination0
02-10-2005, 10:13 AM
now thats a tough question...
I like both games...each of them had their own advantages...
but I'll go with chrono cross because of great replay value...

Yamate
02-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Trigger, definatly.. maybe because I played the game like 6 or 7 times -.-' well, at least CT has my vote

Sepho
02-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Both are wonderful games, and both are worthy of the Chrono title, a name which I associate with splendidness.

I enjoyed Chrono Trigger better. I may have a bias for the old game, but there's that indescribable magic element in many 2D RPGs which can't be written into the code. Chrono Trigger has an abundance of that magic.

Chrono Cross is one of my favorite PS1-era RPGs. I've not spent nearly as much time playing it as I have its predecessor, but every minute was a fun one.

Del Murder
02-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Chrono Trigger was much better, but Chrono Cross was very good. I really liked the time travel aspect.

m4tt
02-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Trigger > Cross. I couldn't get into Cross because there were too many characters. Plus I didn't like the look of it.

Luc
02-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Trigger > Cross. I couldn't get into Cross because there were too many characters. Plus I didn't like the look of it.

Yeah, there were way too many characters for my liking. I liked the battle system in Cross though.

ShunNakamura
02-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Both were excellent games... unfortunately cross lacks many important aspects needed to have it surpase Trigger.

These Aspects are-

1)Not enough dual/triple techs. In other words no real working together weak characters remain weak... if there had been triple techs then three weak characters whom work together could hurt more then three strong characters whom don't tech with each other.

2) Character Development needed to be upped on most characters.

As for the "useless" characters... well I like that... nothing says you can't use them... I just wish the "useless" characters had cooler looking techs.... ugghh it hurts even thinking about janice's techs.

Yamate
02-18-2005, 10:08 PM
trigger had only 7 chars to be concerned about.. and cross alot, maybe thats the problem..?

Born of Fantasy
02-20-2005, 01:05 AM
now thats a tough question...
I like both games...each of them had their own advantages...
but I'll go with chrono cross because of great replay value...

Amen.
What disapointed me about Chrono Trigger was that it was too short.

Armisael
02-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Chrono Trigger was much better, but Chrono Cross was very good. I really liked the time travel aspect.

cloud20747
02-24-2005, 01:20 AM
Trigger. But who cares I have them both.

P.S.
are they making another one??

Maya
02-24-2005, 06:01 PM
I like both of them.
Though, trigger has better story and it´s more difficult than cross.
Well, I played cross first so I was a bit confused about who everyone was. Now I know, but I still haven´t finished trigger.
In cross is better graphics of course, I liked those spectral colors and shines.
Trigger has more sense than cross and maybe better charachters. Cross has too many "useless" charachters.
I don´t know, even though trigger is older than cross, it has something more.
But even though I love playing both of them as much.

Super Christ
02-24-2005, 11:39 PM
P.S.
are they making another one??
If there is a kind and loving god.

Masamuneˇ1600
02-25-2005, 09:42 PM
SE had registered the name "Chrono Break" in the US, but allowed it to expire. However, they are holding on to "Chrono Brake" in Japan. It's pretty much anyone's guess as to what they're doing, but I refuse to accept even the possibility that there won't be another Chrono game. As to the poll, I'll leave them as equals. Trigger was much more fun to play, but the depth of story and the music in Cross were incredible.

Aeritho
03-16-2005, 07:02 PM
I think chrono trigger is better than CC

Magus
03-17-2005, 04:31 PM
SE had registered the name "Chrono Break" in the US, but allowed it to expire. However, they are holding on to "Chrono Brake" in Japan. It's pretty much anyone's guess as to what they're doing, but I refuse to accept even the possibility that there won't be another Chrono game. As to the poll, I'll leave them as equals. Trigger was much more fun to play, but the depth of story and the music in Cross were incredible.

we've been waitin for this sequel for the last few years. and all we actually know so far is the name. i'm starting to lose hope myself, so i don't think that this game will ever se the daylight.

and yes CT was alot better than CC.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-17-2005, 10:55 PM
Square let the Chrono Break rights go like a year ago. It's over.

edczxcvbnm
03-17-2005, 11:44 PM
I know...and they are evil bastards from the raging pits of hell to do something so vile and disgusting. CURSE YOU SQUENIX!

Magus
03-18-2005, 03:53 AM
I know...and they are evil bastards from the raging pits of hell to do something so vile and disgusting. CURSE YOU SQUENIX!

"to do something so vile and disgusting."
You mean ... nothing? lol yes, i guess doing nothing after they registered the name is very vile and disgusting. but heh, they could have done worse, like actually making a sequel and it turns out very sucky, followed by a mass of spam threads in this forum complaining about how much it was a stupid game and we wished they dropped the project instead of creating such blasphemie. no?

edczxcvbnm
03-18-2005, 05:37 AM
It would have been great. At the time the had the same senerio writers from both games and they would have been able to get either game and Mitsuda would have come back to do the music for the game. It would not have failed.

BTW people complained about Cross when it first came out also. That is just inevitable.

VampireCrono
03-19-2005, 06:15 AM
CT > CC

Magus
03-20-2005, 05:26 AM
It would have been great. At the time the had the same senerio writers from both games and they would have been able to get either game and Mitsuda would have come back to do the music for the game. It would not have failed.

BTW people complained about Cross when it first came out also. That is just inevitable.

They still are and it's getting quite annoying. :rolleyes2

Xalioniaf
03-20-2005, 05:06 PM
If you like collecting, you'd probably preffer CC, with the 50-odd characters to get? But, CT has 13(?) endings with it. I'd preffer CC for replayability, but CT for a good experience.

GibsonGoth131
03-30-2005, 04:13 AM
I prefer CC... I think it had a better storyline, that's probaly because I like really confusing storylines that I won't get till' thinking about it for hours and hours.... And about the Chrono Break thing.. before I really would have doubted it.. but now I actually think it will happen. Squaresoft said the FFVII compilations were only the begining of what they were planning, releasing games that their fans will be familiar with.. or something like that.. I can't remember exactly what they said. Anyways, that means after the new FFVII games, new FFVIII games, new FFIX games, hopefully NO new FFX games, hopefully new FFIV and FFVI games, etc. Along with this, it would make sence after them already planning it out and giving it a name (which must mean they had something close to a story planned out), that they'd continue making Chrono Break, and finish up the re-make of Chrono Trigger (yes they began a re-make of Chrono Trigger.. the graphics looked a lot like Zelda's.. questioning whether it would be on PS2 or Gamecube) So lets all cross our fingers, hope the people of Square have hearts, and hope there really is a god!

Super Christ
03-30-2005, 04:35 PM
Square never began a remake of Chrono Trigger. You must be thinking of Chrono Trigger Resurrection, for which the only thing Square had to do with it was sending a cease and desist letter. Bastards.

Dserge
04-03-2005, 04:13 AM
CC>CT

Trigger was much more fun to play, but the depth of story and the music in Cross were incredible.

Perducci
04-03-2005, 10:10 PM
Chrono Trigger. I don't know why, but I like it better. But Cross was still a good game.

Hexarar
04-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Trigger! The only single part Cross was better in was graphics(and maybe sounds, dunno, don't have speakers). And cross maybe was longer, dunno, haven't finished it.

Masamuneˇ1600
04-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Until you finish Cross, it's difficult to judge it. The story grows vastly more complex around halfway, and still more complicated further on. In terms of story, I feel Cross has a significant advantage over Trigger. Further, I feel that Cross outperforms Trigger in terms of music; it was, in my opinion, Mitsuda's best work. Trigger, however, does have the advantage in many other areas, especially the fun factor in terms of gameplay. I stand by my previous evaluation of CT and CC as basically equal games. While many people may disagree with this assessment, I feel that far too often one game or the other is not really given a chance.

Magus
04-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Trigger! The only single part Cross was better in was graphics(and maybe sounds, dunno, don't have speakers). And cross maybe was longer, dunno, haven't finished it.

actually, i liked the trigger graphics over cross'. yes it was 3d, but it was a crappy 3d id rather play in a pixelated world than a world maded of triangles and squares. and yes i must agree that the CC soundtracks were awesome.

ChippyP7
05-13-2005, 08:59 AM
Yet it is really hard to figure out which game is better. But I'd have to say the depth of Chrono Cross' story made me scream out for more! Chrono Trigger was great as the story line was kept simple, and we all know that explaining time crossings is never easy.

TifaLockhart7
05-14-2005, 02:49 AM
of course...I would go with Chrono Trigger...i don't really like Chrono Cross...i know they tried to make it good....but Chrono Trigger is WAY better, in my opinion that is.....

MoonZapdos
05-15-2005, 01:02 AM
CT... Never played Chrono Cross :'(

My name is...something..?
05-15-2005, 08:11 AM
Chrono Trigger.
I liked Chrono Cross, but it just wasn't as great as CT.

Mercen-X
05-15-2005, 09:00 AM
CT: In battle, certain characters obtained abilities that fused with each other in battle for a super attack with two or all three members.
CC: Offered a nifty yet frustrating element system and a crapload of characters to play as.
CT: Levels were and monsters were a decent challenge.
CC: Levels were slightly less puzzling and bosses were slightly more difficult.
CT: Don't remember what items were availed.
CC: Could upgrade your weapons by obtaining material and learning synthesis.
CT: Could almost beat the game right at the beginning.
CC: Had to beat the game first.
CT: Traveled to different time periods.
CC: Traveled to parallel realities.

Overall . . . I can't pick a favorite. I like and own them both.

Riddle Master
05-18-2005, 12:00 AM
It's safe to say that both games were absolutely enthralling, amazing and spectacular. They both featured memorable characters, stellar plots and superb settings. I really can't judge which game was better, in my eyes, they are equal in every respect. Both had great battles, such as when Crono & Co. fought Magus, and the final battle against Lavos. But the battle against Dario in CC was equally amazing, as was the numerous battles against Lynx. Both games had excellent battle systems, and unique aspects of these systems set these games apart from many others. The 'Element System' from CC was very enjoyable, but so was the seamless action sequences of its 2D counterpart. Both games deserve a respectable niche in any true RPG gamer's collection.

~RM

Cyraniel
05-18-2005, 01:04 AM
Chrono Trigger had better gameplay, thus I consider it the better game. Chrono Chrono just wasn't fun to PLAY for me. The story and music and all that were great, but it was just lacking gameplay. Also, it had way too many useless stupid characters. There's just something about Chrono Trigger that makes it fun to play.

Zidane_Tribal
06-10-2005, 04:42 PM
oh man, i cant tell ya how many times ive played chross and havent gotten bored 1 second!

good game

i need to seriously play trigger, but i need money to buy the game along with VI, i forgot what the cd was called, it was like "Final Fantasy Chronicles"

it comes with CT and VI

Germ Hamee
06-10-2005, 07:30 PM
Cross had such a sophisticated storyline compared to Trigger, and I liked the soundtrack a million times better. Not to mention the ending was VERY bittersweet, which always wins me over right away. Really, the only thing that bothered me about it was the fact that everybody you ran into and their brother could join your party just because.

Cross all the way.

Masamuneˇ1600
06-10-2005, 10:42 PM
i need to seriously play trigger, but i need money to buy the game along with VI, i forgot what the cd was called, it was like "Final Fantasy Chronicles"

it comes with CT and VI

In the United States, Final Fantasy Anthology was comprised of FFV and FFVI, while Final Fantasy Chronicles contained FFIV and CT. In Europe, FFVI was released for the PlayStation in its own right, while Final Fantasy Anthology (Europe Edition) contained FFIV and FFV. No collection includes both FFVI and CT.

Madame Adequate
06-12-2005, 04:17 AM
It's safe to say that both games were absolutely enthralling, amazing and spectacular. They both featured memorable characters, stellar plots and superb settings. I really can't judge which game was better, in my eyes, they are equal in every respect. Both had great battles, such as when Crono & Co. fought Magus, and the final battle against Lavos. But the battle against Dario in CC was equally amazing, as was the numerous battles against Lynx. Both games had excellent battle systems, and unique aspects of these systems set these games apart from many others. The 'Element System' from CC was very enjoyable, but so was the seamless action sequences of its 2D counterpart. Both games deserve a respectable niche in any true RPG gamer's collection.

~RM

Excellent appraisal.

I have to say that I personally like Cross more, largely due to a few of the characters (Fargo, Nikki, and Miki.), and also because of the music. I can't think of any game which rivals Cross' musical score.

This is not, however, to disparage the remarkably good Trigger in any way. I just tend to like certain things slightly more in CC than CT.

NorthernChaosGod
06-25-2005, 11:19 AM
i would have to say CT is the better of the two. way more double and triple techs. better story. better charcters. Magus. enough said. if CC had Magus in it then i would say CC. but it doesnt, so CT.

Lilian
06-28-2005, 01:58 PM
They're both extremely excellent games, but I like CT better by a teensy bit. I could break it down and compare the music and the battle system and so on, but I'm tired, so I'm just going to give you the main reason: characters. CT's characters aren't anything astounding, but at least they have some individual personality and development. Thanks to its having 40-something of them, the characters in CC were hardly developed at all, and have little to differentiate between them except for their various accents. Their dialogue isn't even different in most parts of the game. Quality over quantity, man.

MoonZapdos
07-05-2005, 11:55 PM
CT since CC never got released in Europe...

elorian
07-06-2005, 01:27 AM
Chrono Trigger.

Some things about CC just bothered me. I liked the element system, 'though it took a little getting used to. It reminds me of a cross between FF VII's Materia and FF X's grid thingy. But the insane amount of characters was hard to deal with, and I wish they'd kept the battles on the same screen as the rest of the game, as in CT. Plus, CT is ultimately just a more charming game than CC.

XxSephirothxX
07-06-2005, 05:23 AM
I think Chrono Trigger was an amazingly fun game with a charming story and a superb battle system. That being said, Chrono Cross, in my opinion, was the better RPG, simply because of the story. I found it quite philosophical and interesting and much deeper than the plotline of any other RPG I've played. Cross was the better RPG overall, but Chrono Trigger was more fun. I didn't have a problem with all the characters in CC. That part was just fun.

Excelsior
07-06-2005, 05:55 AM
yeah, definately cross for me. I really dont give a crap about gameplay in my RPG, cuz, well, its an RPG, and the story for Trigger was just like "LOL TIME TRAVEL" so...

Gizmo
07-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Really, Chrono Trigger is better in:

Storyline: It has correlation and you know more the characters (except Crono doesn't speak).

Battle Style: You can see characters with more clarity, and the techs too.

Bosses: I liked every special boss (Azala, Flea, Slash, Ozzie, Magus, Lavos, Queen Zeal, etc).

Music: Since Nobuo Uetmasu was the composer, I give it a 10.

That's most of the aspects why I liked this game rather than the other.

The Man
07-07-2005, 01:33 AM
Uematsu only composed a handful of tracks for Chrono Trigger. Also, Noriko Matsueda did the boss battle theme, but everything else was composed by Yasunori Mitsuda, who also composed the Chrono Cross score.

Sephex
07-07-2005, 04:22 AM
Hmmm...I would say I like CT better than CC by just a bit.

CT had a great overall feeling, CC had excellent music and atmosphere.

Prancing Mad
07-16-2005, 03:28 AM
Chrono Cross. I've played trigger multiple times, but quite frankly neither of them have good character development. And I NEED that! Luckily though, Serge has an AMAZING storyline that pulls cross WAY up above trigger. And I don't think a comparison of soundtracks need to be discussed. Chrono Cross, though not my favorite game of all time had the best music ever (except for that gawd-awful normal battle music).

And I love it when things get all convoluted. If the plot's so weird can't completely get it the first time, I love it. It adds to the replay value.

I did like the fact that Trigger had a combo system that cross just plain lacked (yes I know about glenn and serge's x-strike). But I liked how people's turns played out in chrono cross. But gosh the storyline for Serge was amazing.

Dreddz
09-04-2005, 02:38 PM
I prefer CC

G SpOtZ
09-04-2005, 07:13 PM
CC was very nice, as well as CT. i never finished CT (i'm not sure why) but i remember it being a very good game. The only reason i liked CC better was because of sooo many different choices you can make. there are always different paths, determining which characters you can get for that file, and which characters you'll miss. In New Game +, the Chrono Cross item will let you bring back the characters you had in ur past files to ur new file, so that bootss up the replay value. it's like a goal to try to get all characters into one file by the end of the game. but of course, that's only one aspect of the replay value.
The story line of CC was way more complicated. there is a site on GameFAQS that completely breaks down the story line and shows how insanely amazing the story line is, and how CC is actually a direct sequel of CT. it's really amazing, you should go look for it. i'm too lazy to set up a link, but all you need to do is go to the GameFAQS site and look for Chrono Cross, then in the In-Depth section, there will be a title "Story Guide" and it will tell you everything... but beware, it's freaking long. and very very confusing if you don't know some big words (like myself)

Lawr
09-05-2005, 06:45 AM
They are both difficult to understand no matter how simple one
seemed. Take FF1 for example...I'm still trying to figure out
Garland's plan. Time traveling games are too difficult to understand.
But to the point CC

cookieface
09-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Both games I think were philosophical, and fit right in. Can't say I can judge the gameplay, since that's just a matter of habits. But CC didn't capture much in me, apart from the message the story seems to carry. While CT did. I still blame my lack of intrest in CC on the fact that it carries the Chrono name of the previous Chrono Trigger. Why do they do that??? As bad as most movies, anime and whatever else are, the good ones don't feel it's a rule to carry the name of previous good titles just because it's from the same creator.

Do they?

I hope someday in video game world it becomes trendy and lucrative to avoid the brand-annoucement title. For story based games like RPGs that is. Matters little for the rest, I guess.