PDA

View Full Version : the legend of dragoon

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-10-2005, 03:39 AM
Perhaps the best rpg ive ever played. It was the only rpg to give square a run for its money! But I felt like I really knew the characters. Words can not express my liking of this game. I beat it 3 times! (and were talking a very complicated game, the final boss alone was 3 hours!) It was so in depth! It was the first game I SERIOUSLY got into. I mean WOW it was awesome! And guess what? they are making a movie for it!

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 03:42 AM
There have been plenty of RPGs to give Square a run for it's money, and this certainly wasnt one of them.

I couldnt stand it from the beginning. I dislike the battle system, and the characters. The development and interaction between characters was terrible, and it has a horridly cliched storyline.

The character design was pretty though, I'll give it that.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-10-2005, 03:47 AM
give it a break! It was made in 2000!Ok it was the first rpg to give square a run for its money!

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 03:49 AM
No, it was not the first. Not even close. I can name at least five series of games that fit the bill.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-10-2005, 03:50 AM
go ahead!

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 03:57 AM
The following are series, which means they have more than one game to them, all are far better than LoD, and most better than half of the FF games:

Breath of Fire - Capcom
Tales (Tales of Destiny, Phantasia, etc) - Namco
Arc the Lad
Wild ARMs
Alundra
Xenosaga
Golden Sun
Soul Blazer
Suikoden
Lufia
Lunar
Ys
Fire Emblem

And most of these series have games far before 2000. Not to mention all the other wonderful pre-2000 non-Square RPGs out there.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-10-2005, 04:09 AM
Naturaly these are opinions because the box office says otherwise.And I mean playstation one games! I respect your opinions and all but think of it this way.Put it in my shoes alright? Ok so say your pride and joy, the thing you like the most(besides family of course) gets bagged on by somebody.Sort of gets crushed. How would you feel? Put it in perspective please.

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 04:15 AM
The box office does not say otherwise. Prove to me that LoD outsold any of these games. Also, stop redefining things. Fact is, these RPGs have been competing with Square quite successfully for many years. Many of them (add Dragon Quest/Warrior to that list) have outsold Square games and Im positive most have outsold LoD.

Seeing as I dont give two-craps about what anyone says about what I like, I cant really put it in perspective. I'm not telling you not to like it. Kudos to you for loving it. Name your first child Dart for all I care. Im simply telling you that you're wrong about the monetary factor.

My favorite movie in the whole world got low box office gains and is considered by most not to be a great movie. It's really not that big a deal. Maybe you need to put that in perspective, that not everyone will love what you do. Really, if all you wanted was people to agree with you, you should have posted it at a Legend of Dragoon message board.

Dont take everything so personally.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-10-2005, 04:25 AM
I dont think there is a dragoon message board!But basicaly what I mean by pride and joy is............. nevermind trust me you wouldnt understand.well i g2g

GhandiOwnsYou
02-10-2005, 07:47 PM
wow....I was looking forward to a thread about this game, but wow. that was bad....
*shakes head*

anywho, yeah I'll grant you a number of things
A) A lot of the story was horrifically cliched
B) The voice acting was more horrendous than anything imaginable. Ever.
C) The Battle system was horribly flawed in two ways. first, magic was worthless when you could use it, and second, turning to a dragoon was pretty much useless attack wise. defense wise it was a wise enough move, but yeah. If they made all dragoons like the Silver Dragoon was in the last battle, and maybe made it a LOT harder to build up SP, then sure.
and lastly, jeebus Christ, WHY Would you want to be forced into traveling through that gravity level, or hearing the Tree of Life story (In FMV EVERY TIME no less)something like FIVE TIMES each.

But the Additions system i found really refreshing, it actually gave you something to do besides hammer attack and wait. I can play through most FF games and other RPG's without even looking at the screen after I level up a bit. the Addition system was a nice change. If it was Added to an existing square system, i'd say it'd be damn near perfect. Think of the materia system with that added to the "attack" command, thats my idea of ideal.

then, I also really got into the characters (when they WEREN'T talking....) The main ones anyway. I was never fond of Meryl, the Gigantos, and Miranda. Lavitz rocked though, to bad he had to be replaced. Haschel plain rocked solid, easily one of my favorite RPG characters.

So anyway, yeah, it was flawed, but I still enjoyed it a lot

Dragoon Kain
02-10-2005, 10:08 PM
where did you hear they were making a movie for this? that would be so amazing but i doubt it will ever happen. i loved this game though personally. lavitz was amazing. albert was cool too.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-10-2005, 11:32 PM
I liked albert and Lavitz too! But its a shame when SPOILER NEXT Lavitzs dies. I saw that when I was 10 or something and I cried! But I saw that the movie was coming out at this: go to google.com, then put in (2007) scream 4.( I like the scream movies) and after that you look for something that says "upcoming".

TheAbominatrix
02-11-2005, 03:34 AM
I'll believe the movie bit when I see it on imdb.

DMKA
02-11-2005, 04:30 PM
It was an ok in a few ways, and it sucked in alot of ways. First of all, being an obsessive transformation (ala Sailor Moon) fan, I loved the transformation aspect. Secondly, it was fun and exciting at a few parts. And thirdly, the cinematics were amazingly good looking.

Then pretty much the rest of it sucked.

Roogle
02-11-2005, 09:29 PM
Legend of Dragoon was the definition of an average RPG, but everytime something is released, there will be at least one person that loves it.

Take care all.

Black Mage FF1
02-11-2005, 09:58 PM
I loved this game. It had a great story and a good character developement. The gameplay was awesome too. I loved the additions in this game, they were fun and hard to learn. And in this game it took more then just holding the X button to win a fight. You actually have to play the game unlike most RPGS.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-11-2005, 10:53 PM
finally a agreer

ruby azaryth
02-14-2005, 04:31 PM
I can't say much about legend of dragoon, as I have never played it, but I know at least 10 people that have and they all agree that it was better than FF6 (Not hard to beat in my honest opinion).

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-14-2005, 10:06 PM
tlod is hard to beat!

Dking'squeen
02-14-2005, 10:09 PM
I loved Legend of Dragoons *which I think you were talking about* I didn't like Lavitz, but when King ALbert took his place, nice. I was okay with the battle system, esspecially since it was for PS, keep that in mind I guess. Well, I loved Meru, and didn't care too much for the Silver Dragoon. Shana and Miranda, but i loved the game!

Maester-ULTIMECIA
02-14-2005, 10:24 PM
This Game was pretty interesting at first but then in time i got bored of it since u can only switch with two characters at a time. I mean if you had 3 low characters you couldnt level them at all once and most of the time the higher character would get most of the exp.

Dking'squeen
02-14-2005, 10:27 PM
ha! that was a little funny. All of my exp had been spread out evenly, i don't know how though. But, i liked to synchro transform or whatever it was called when all three of the characters transformed into dragoons at the same time. What i didn't like was the Divine Dragoon thing on Dart. it was sexy on Lloyd, but ion Dart...he looked like he had been mutated with some mutant youkai or something. He was strong though,but I think i would have preferred his Flame Dragoon thing better

Maester-ULTIMECIA
02-14-2005, 10:37 PM
Maybe it was just me because i have the game in perfect condition played only bout 1-4 times and havent been played since i was 9 or 10

Dking'squeen
02-14-2005, 10:38 PM
maybe it is, maybe it's not. Meh, but that game was nice. If my friend hadn't taken it, i would play it now

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-14-2005, 11:50 PM
ha! that was a little funny. All of my exp had been spread out evenly, i don't know how though. But, i liked to synchro transform or whatever it was called when all three of the characters transformed into dragoons at the same time. What i didn't like was the Divine Dragoon thing on Dart. it was sexy on Lloyd, but ion Dart...he looked like he had been mutated with some mutant youkai or something. He was strong though,but I think i would have preferred his Flame Dragoon thing betterthat synchro thing your reffering to is actually called special.

Dragoon Kain
02-15-2005, 12:20 AM
I loved Legend of Dragoons *which I think you were talking about* I didn't like Lavitz, but when King ALbert took his place, nice. I was okay with the battle system, esspecially since it was for PS, keep that in mind I guess. Well, I loved Meru, and didn't care too much for the Silver Dragoon. Shana and Miranda, but i loved the game!

HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE LAVITZ! ITS BLASPHEMY!

Dking'squeen
02-15-2005, 12:30 AM
HOW COULD YOU NOT LIKE LAVITZ! ITS BLASPHEMY!

I didn't like how he used his Gust Of Wind Dance, but he was a cool character! He was loyal and noble and...*cries* the way he died...*cries*

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-15-2005, 12:33 AM
please dont bring that up!

Chris
02-15-2005, 12:37 AM
I've been searching for this game seems like forever.

Why can't I find it anywhere?

I'm so pissed and annoyed :mad2:

Dking'squeen
02-15-2005, 12:40 AM
you might be able to find it used or you're not looking in the right spot. Larger game stores have them more than the smaller ones i think

Chris
02-15-2005, 12:43 AM
I've searched EB games shops all around... alas still no luck :(

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-15-2005, 12:49 AM
go to the nearest best buy or wal-mart! or there websites.

Chris
02-15-2005, 12:53 AM
Well I live in Europe (and there's no Best Buy or Wal-Mart) I could check out their websites I suppose.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-15-2005, 12:55 AM
well they probably dont sell cross country..........

Chris
02-15-2005, 12:58 AM
Damn!

Well, I'll keep a look out for the game here, dammit.

I really, really want this game.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-15-2005, 01:02 AM
have you played it before?

Chris
02-15-2005, 01:09 AM
No.

But I've heard so many wonderful things about it.

I'd like to judge it first hand myself.

Some has even stated that it's even better than Final Fantasy, this I refuse accept.

Dking'squeen
02-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Some parts of it ARE better than some final fantasy series, but then, you know, it's all opinion and not fact. Some poeple think that peanut butter and banana sandwiches are better than peanut butter and jellies.

TheAbominatrix
02-15-2005, 01:31 AM
I found my copy, used, at Hollywood Video (rental place). Really, finding it used is the best bet you have. Try ebay.

Dking'squeen
02-15-2005, 01:36 AM
I bought mine when it came out, although by accident i think because i couldn't find what i wanted and was like, "ooo dragons!"

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-15-2005, 04:00 AM
but isnt that the hardest last boss fight ever?

Camanche
02-15-2005, 04:28 AM
It was an alright game, but a lot of its faults didn't make up for its good points. I own it and couldn't bring myself to finish it. And yes, the cliched story (and characters) kind of turned me off as well.

Dking'squeen
02-15-2005, 12:34 PM
When I first fought the boss, yeah it was hard, but after I got used to how he fights and I was stronger and had almost all of my things, I fought him again with Dart, Meru and Albert/Shana. Since Albert does the most damage, he really helped against the last boss. Damn him and his many forms

Lone Wolf Leonhart
02-15-2005, 10:08 PM
When I first fought the boss, yeah it was hard, but after I got used to how he fights and I was stronger and had almost all of my things, I fought him again with Dart, Meru and Albert/Shana. Since Albert does the most damage, he really helped against the last boss. Damn him and his many formsyou cant use shana! and I think the gigantos Kongol does the most damage!

Dragoon Kain
02-15-2005, 11:15 PM
for the guy looking for lod try ebay or something. i heard its really hard to find in europe.

the last boss was kinda easy. just long. but a fine fight none the less. first time i beat him i used dart/albert/kongol. the second time was dart/meru/haschel. and now im on my third play through and im using dart/albert/haschel. really powerful. i really want to fight faust too. that will be hard!