PDA

View Full Version : Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?

FallenAngel411
02-10-2005, 05:42 AM
Just curious.....I mean, I've been looking around the forum here (I'm a newbie :) ) and I was surprised at how many people seem to totally HATE the game, and write out long, long, LOOOOOONG (but vastly entertaining) explanations on why it sucks, and debate its suckiness, and the ugliness of the hair, and.......why do so many people hate Cloud??? I just came off a forum where they were bashing him so badly that I flinched a few times.

Greatest game ever + greatest villain of all time + most beloved character death scene + best soundtrack ever = THE LAMEST FF OF THE SERIES

Mind you, that whole equation is not necessarily MY opinion, merely what I garnered was the general consensus of planet earth BEFORE seeing this forum (but I've heard plenty of ppl call it the lamest FF). But still, it doesn't add up. What gives??? Why does everyone seem to love it, yet be annoyed by it??? It's......weird. :confused:

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 05:47 AM
Most people are annoyed by the fact that this is the one everyone is a slathering fanbody over, and that a great many have ignored the series before it. I think VI is by far the greatest game ever, and most certainly the greatest FF.

I certainly dont think it's the greatest game. I cant stand Sephiroth, nor Aerith. The soundtrack was amazing, I'll give it that. But all in all, no I dont like it that much at all. Dont hate it, but it's way low in my list of favorite FFs.

Trumpet Thief
02-10-2005, 06:05 AM
chaos: I completely agree with TheAbominatrix. I also believe that VI should be the one recieving all the attention, and being crowned "The Greatest FF Of All time".

Rubedo: The game was alright, it wasn't horrible, although, I find it to be very ovverated. I myself found it to be nothing so special. Other games that are shunned by new FF players (ie.FF's 1-6) are worth a lot more than this game.

Destination0
02-10-2005, 10:10 AM
yup I agree with previous posts...
FF7 is just too overrated...
I dont want to type all the reason all over again ;)

The Man
02-10-2005, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't say that many people hate FFVII. A lot of people dislike it and think it's overrated, and I'm one of them. Hate is a strong word, though. I hated Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, not FFVII ;P

Cuchulainn
02-10-2005, 02:27 PM
Most kids hate it because a lot of PPL love it...it is that simple fact. They want to be 'different' and seem 'originsl'. It is one of the greatest games ever made. Society throws this phenomenon out all the time, regardless of subject. It's the same kids who hate popular bands, ignore their talent, just hate them because they're popular, and say 'I liked their early stuff'. It's tragic. While I don't deny earlier final fantasy's were indeed amazing & broke the mould, this was the finished article. The game that changed the RPG world on it's head. The game that got competators to spend years of chasing. Don't deny this game it's due people. It deserves not to be hated, to me, and I know this is a subjective argument, but to me, this was the perfect game. One that I'll remember for the rest of my life.

The Man
02-10-2005, 02:43 PM
Or maybe they dislike it because they actually don't think it's one of the greatest games ever made. The graphics were, frankly, ugly, apart from the FMVs, and the plot was incoherent and rambling and refused to answer a lot of the questions it raised. Who exactly were you chasing after for the entire first half of the game? It certainly wasn't Sephiroth, although legions of drooling fanboys still haven't picked up on that, which indicates to me that the allegedly unrivaled storytelling methods of the game might not have actually been that great.

Edit: And, to respond to your "analogy," most of what's popular right now is terrible. OutKast's The Love Below and Green Day's American Idiot are the only two recent #1 albums I can think of that actually deserved their popularity.

ljkkjlcm9
02-10-2005, 02:50 PM
here's a good quote for you,
"No matter how good something is, somebody, somewhere will hate it."

And that's the truth. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. Best Game ever however is where most people turn into, Hate FFVII. I mean yeah it is a great game, and up there on my list, behind say FFVI, which should be #1, but it's very annoying to talk to people who claim to be FF fans when it was their first FF and they played NONE before it.

I mean I remember meeting people who didn't even know there were Final Fantasy games before VII and thought it started with that number because it was lucky or something. And then there are people like my brother who says FFVI is III cause that was what it was released as in the US, but yet when they re-released it in the US, it was titled VI.

OH well I could keep rambling on, but the truth is remember that quote. Honestly, if someone went out tomorrow and made it so that nobody ever got sick again, somebody wouldn't like that idea, and I bet their argument would be something along the lines of devoting themselves to medicine and it is no longer needed and all the advancements in medicine and current research projects were a big waste of money. Or maybe they'll be more creative than that, but you catch my drip?

THE JACKEL

Ichimonji
02-10-2005, 02:54 PM
Exactly. The obsessive fanboys made FFVII horrible. The reason most other FFs aren't as popular is because half the FF fans out there got into the series because of FFVII. So, the stupid FFVII fanboys didn't like it because it wasn't similar to FFVII, like they expected it to be.

But now I see FFVI becoming lamer as the days go by, because of the arrogant old-school gamers who worship it and listen to no one's opinion. "Oh, look. I'm wise and cool, because I don't like the newer part of the series. I'm stuck in the past. What's that? Cell phone, CD? I think I'll just listen to my A-Track and play FFVI." I mean seriously, it's pretty ignorant when you don't even see that you're as bad as the FFVII fanboys.

Another group of gamers are the graphics-whor3s, who don't really piss me off as much as the FFVII and FFVI fanboys because they aren't as annoying about it. They should add a little variety in their games, but it's the new generation and graphics aren't going to get worse. So it doesn't really matter if they hate older games. They'll all eventually be remade anyway.

Destai
02-10-2005, 04:20 PM
I love VI but I much prefer VII's modern theme which hadnt been done in any FF before that.Even in IX I really disliked the medieval theme. Also it was a much darker setting and personally I loved the characters and the fantastic soundtrack. My biggest fault with VI is I find alot of it unenjoyable as with most/all of the past FF's with there blocky battle system. The only game before VII whos battle system I thought was impressive was Dawn of Souls, surely they could've managed similar on a PS1? VII's was just more fun and I loved the materia system.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 04:50 PM
well how come 6 doesnt have any sequels or movies created out of it then? i much prefer 7 because 6 was to slow of a game for my liking while 7 slightly got me a refill on speed it was nearing disc 2 that it gottten the best 6 was average all the way through i more than 8 which is very good but 7 gets my vote, im not even mentioning remake as many ppl bash me saying im full of crap or usually be very mean to me (literally) but i know 6 was a very good game but it wasnt the best of the ff series.

1. Final Fantasy VII
2. Final Fantasy VI
3. Final Fantasy VIII

dont hate because i disagree but im expressing MY oppinion and not the official one which was never announced

The Man
02-10-2005, 04:51 PM
well how come 6 doesnt have any sequels or movies created out of it then?VI doesn't have sequels in the works because it wasn't as commercially successful as VII. Also, the demographic of the audiences of the two games means that FFVII has a lot of fanboys saying "FFVII RULZ I WANT MOAR CEFIROTH," while this type of fanboy is comparatively uncommon amongst FFVI's audience. Square is a company, and companies try to make money. It would be more profitable to make a bunch of FFVII sequels than to make a single FFVI sequel. Simple, really.

Destai
02-10-2005, 05:08 PM
Would you say a lot of VI fans despise VII?

The Man
02-10-2005, 05:09 PM
I wouldn't know, but I personally don't despise any game; despise is an awfully strong word, stronger even than hate ;p

Destai
02-10-2005, 05:16 PM
*hate* VII, : p

ljkkjlcm9
02-10-2005, 05:18 PM

NO. I'm a VI fan and a VII fan, and an VIII fan, and a IX fan, wait a second, I'm an FF fan. I love basicalyl every FF game. I mean they all had their strong points.

When I meet someone who loves FFVII I ask if they played the old ones, if they say no, I don't say, hey you suck, I say, well you should they're all really good. In fact I own some version of all of them (except III) and have FFI-VIII on my computer, yes all the Final Fantasy games made through VIII are on my computer and I offer them to anyone to play. I mean I do own them all (except III) so they're all legal (except III). AH what the hell, hurry up and release III state side!!!

But yeah, it's not the FFVII fans that annoy me, it's people who claim to be fans of the whole series, but haven't played the ones before VII. I mean, that's like being a bandwagon fan for football or something, like becoming a Patriots fan(WOOHOO Dynasty!!) after they won their first superbowl. Oh, and I'm not a bandwagon patriots fan either, I'm from MA and my Dad has had season tickets for 35 years and I've been going to games as far back as I remember.

SO yeah, people I hate are fans of series, who haven't played the entire series. Oh, and people who think graphics make a game, they can help it a ton, but not make it. Oh yeah, did I mention that in every poll the game with the best graphics of all time was voted Metroid Prime. HAHAHA, makes me laugh at all the people who say GameCube graphics suck, HAHAHAHA. (sorry that was off topic)

THE JACKEL

The Man
02-10-2005, 05:18 PM
*hate* VII, : p
I can only speak for myself, but the only game I hate is Mystic Quest. ;p

Shoden
02-10-2005, 05:21 PM
will you laugh at me bash me or even tell me im full of crap if i mention re-release of VII?

Destai
02-10-2005, 05:30 PM
With the compilation of VII and all the games that have been released its certainly possible they could remake or at least re release VII but Square has said absaloutely nothing about doing so.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 05:32 PM
interview in the OFFICIAL Playstation 2 Magazine states that Squaresoft ARe remaking the game article is from 6 months ago i might still have it somehwere or i couldve lent it out (cheats in the back for games very good ones too)

amratis
02-10-2005, 05:49 PM
will you laugh at me bash me or even tell me im full of crap if i mention re-release of VII?

No, I'd say, we can all hope. It would be nice if they re-made it. It is the most bankable in the series so has the highest probability of a re-make.

I'm playing VII *right* now for the first time. About to take on Sephiroth actually. So, fairly unbiasedly...its not perfect, it does have its faults, and generally I'd have to say yeah, it is slightly over-rated, but it's still truly fantastic. Not sure where I'd place it in my fave FF's yet, time will determine that

Cuchulainn
02-10-2005, 05:49 PM
fanboy rivalry....you fit into my stated criteria...I bet you are quite the rebel in your bedroom. You hate VII 'fanboys'..why exactly? You appear to be a VI Fanboy. But eh..this juvenile tit-4-tat slanging match is beneath me. I made my point, which I believe is true, backed up firmly by 'The Man's' reply. I need say no more.

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Why doesnt VI have sequels? Because VI cant have sequels. The ending was neat, concise, and over and done with. Games like X and VII left themselves open for more, for speculation and further gaming. I really dont know what they'd do at the end of VI that would warrant more games or movies. That and, like Aaron said, VII was the commercial success. VI never exactly caught on in America, not wide-spread like VII did. VII soared in both Japan and America, and hence the reason why it's getting sequels. It's the same reason why X got a sequel... because it was open for one, and because sales warranted risking the endeavor.

I dont see why disliking VII makes you a VI fan boy. I dont see anyone here screaming for more VI, I dont see anyone here going "OMFG KEFKA RULEZ ALL YOU ALL SUX", but apparantly the only response to "We dislike VII fanboys" is "Well YOU'RE a fanboy." I know you are but what am I, here we come.

If you'd like to explain other reasons why Aaron (The Man) is a VI fanboy, I'm open to hearing them.

I dont see why we cant have this discussion without being attacked. Well I do, and the reason has already been stated.

Destai
02-10-2005, 06:09 PM
interview in the OFFICIAL Playstation 2 Magazine states that Squaresoft ARe remaking the game article is from 6 months ago i might still have it somehwere or i couldve lent it out (cheats in the back for games very good ones too)Thats right and Its called Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, Before Crisis and Crisis Core ;)
Good point, VI had a neat ending with no strings left to tug at.

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Indeed. The only thing VI could warrant would be a prequel, probably about the War of the Magi, but it lacks the other side of the equation: the popularity.

Most FF games have everything cleaned up and tied into a neat little package at the end... but X and VII left you wondering. X had Tidus coming up out of the water at the end and left the player going OMG WHAT and VII skipped ahead 500 or so years and left many to even speculate that the human race did not survive. Those games practically begged for sequels, and I think it's safe to say VII might have gotten it's set a long time ago, if not for the financial woes of Squaresoft.

And, just to clear a few things up, I do not hate VII. I dont love it, I find it to be a mediocre game. I do love many things about it though; Tifa is right below Terra as my favorite FF girl. I loved Chocobo Racing and Snowboarding, and I really enjoyed parts of the game. Things like this; games, movies, books, effect everyone differently. I was expecting another wonderful game like VI or IV, so I went into it biased. Many of those who had never played FF before perhaps went in with a different sort of bias, or none at all. But it effects everyone differently, and to expect everyone to love it is utterly ridiculous. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou is, in my opinion, one of the only things worth seeing in the theatres, but not everyone loves it. That isnt a problem with me, however.

As many of us have said, VII fanboys are a turn off. That does NOT mean the fans... lemme put it this way. When ShlupQuack, ButThePoncho, and I camped out for Star Wars Episode II, we came the night before. There were interesting and fun hardcore SW fans who had been there around the same time as us. People who understood faults in the movies, but still loved them and knew lots about them. And THEN there were the slathering. "SW RULEZ EVERYTHING ELSE SUX" folks that had been there for 2 months (dont get me wrong, I liked most of them, but do you see my point?). It's people who cant stop getting into the Tifa/Aerith argument, more accurately people who get very personal with it and freak out. It's people who talk about how every other FF male was a 'pussy' compared to Cloud. It's people who say "FFVII ROX EVERYTHING SUX" that are the problem. NOT VII fans in general.

I ranted, but I just wanted to clear that up.

edit: definitions of fan boy from urbandictionary.com, just so everyone is on the same page
-A passionate fan of various elements of geek culture (e.g. sci-fi, comics, Star Wars, video games, anime, hobbits, Magic the Gathering, etc.), but who lets his passion override social graces.

-Someone far beyond a simple fan.

-I swear I didnt make this one up

Was once used as a term "Male prepubescent teen whom loves something overly too much" but has been changed in the recent years. It now means "One who worships Final Fantasy 7"

Fanboys are an Invasive Species. These deranged Netizens have bred and caused similar damage to the African Killer Bee and the Zebra Mussel. These people clog chatrooms, forums, and our bandwidth. Fanboys lack the ability to type coherent sentences and also lack the ability to pertain a train of thought outside of FF7. Often times, these pathetic beings will use names such as SSJCloud, XxXCloudXxX, or one of 10000 variations of the name "Sephiroth". These beings will breed (invite other fanboys) rapidly and move quickly. The damage that has been caused by these lost causes is no longer repairable.

-Biased people who think that the things they worship about are the masters of the universe. However, since they are biased, they will constantly bash opposing things instead of thinking about it and stating its positive and negative attributes.

-One who is obsessed with something and thinks people who don't like it are inferior.

-A zealot or fanatic of a brand name, character, or product. Also known as otaku in Japanese.

-One who is overobsessed with a particular game, movie series, or anime, to the point of calling anyone who says otherwise about said franchise inferior.

m4tt
02-10-2005, 06:25 PM
I agree with everything Ashley and Aaron posted.

I think VI is the best Final Fantasy game. VII is alright, but it's not in my top 4 (which would be VI, IX, V and X). VI doesn't need a sequal because it's over. The ending wasn't all that confusing, and people are happy with it. If VII was so great people wouldn't be crying for sequals and remakes and whatnot.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 06:47 PM
IX is the worst of the 1990-1999 series of Final Fantasy i never understood it though V was a hunk of crap but X i can understand it was a very good game, VI just didnt have the juice to satisfy me maybe if i played it earlier in my life and had a SNES i woulda loved it,
sorry bout the hard oppinions i hope it doesnt upset you but this is just the oppinion from me.

Destai notice the word REMAKE AC and Dc are sequels

Destai
02-10-2005, 06:54 PM
I noticed alright unfortunatelty that magazine didnt.

m4tt
02-10-2005, 06:55 PM
If you love FFVII so much, why is a remake needed so badly? You should love it for what it is, or not love it at all. Although I wouldn't mind a remake for FFVI, I'd still like the original a hell of a lot better.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 07:02 PM
but seeing the quality of X makes me want to play VII with that quality in Graphics and Music even Voice overs will be more than enough.

the magazine was the OFFICIAL PS2 mag and we've known bout AC for the past 2 years, look Destai I know you say its a lack of proof and its crap and False but if it was in any other mag id feel the same but it was in the official PS2 Magazine so chances are the article was more than likely to be true

Destai
02-10-2005, 07:03 PM
Were you responding to me? Well anyway I want the remake because I love VII in general and I want to feel the magic again on the PS2 console with the graphics, reorchestrations, voice overs, character detail etc. that a game that brilliant deserves. I see your point and its a good one, I'll always love the original and in that sense Id much prefer the original to a sequel.

The magazine either got the translations or the research wrong. Theyre the official PS2 mag, not Square-Enix who hasnt made any announcements about a remake. OPS2 can only spare so much interest per game and AC or DOC was printed as a remake instead of a sequel. S-E make the games. Not OPS2.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 07:07 PM
well we'll just have to ait and see if the article was right when i can be bothered ill go look for it.

The Man
02-10-2005, 07:09 PM
It's people who cant stop getting into the Tifa/Aerith argument, more accurately people who get very personal with it and freak out. It's people who talk about how every other FF male was a 'pussy' compared to Cloud. It's people who say "FFVII ROX EVERYTHING SUX" that are the problem. NOT VII fans in general.Thank you. Due to various message board politics-related reasons, I've been forced to suffer through many Tifa vs. Aerith arguments on AdventChildren.net, and I can honestly say that many of the people arguing in those threads have less of a life than I do. When you have less of a life than I do, you know something's wrong. ;)

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 07:12 PM
xD Poor Aaron and his lack of life.

As for the VII remake comments, we have NOT known about AC for two years. It was announced rather recently. Im not denying that you saw this info in the Official PS magazine, but seeing as it isnt on any official SquareEnix site it has no leg to stand on. Square is the final word, and they have said nothing about it. They've announced Advent Children (a movie), Before Crisis (a cellphone game), Crisis Core (not much info except they said that it was NOT a remake), and Dirge of Cerebrus (a PS2 game). They have not announced a remake, nor plans for a remake. I think they said it was possible, however.

Destai
02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Thank you! Crisis cores a PSP game supposedly. And dont miss the added paragraph in my last post although Abominatrix summed it up quite nicely.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
wtf? i was told about AC last year but the guy i was told off he knew bout it for another year when it was only a rumour.

I've been through millions of Aeris/Tifa arguements the only thing that bothers me now is the stupid thing of AERITH i know it was that in KH but in VII it was Aeris ok so just try to get it through that both translations are correct but it's Aeris in FF7 so we should really say Aeris but if you're willing to argue to hell over it than im gone

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 07:20 PM
It's been 'rumored' since VII was released. That's just internet crap for ya. I've seen no less than 20 fake VII sequels and remakes announced at various websites.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 07:55 PM
no this is exactly Advent Children, when the project started nerds managed to get info and spread it

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 07:58 PM
If it started two years ago, why isnt it done yet? I highly highly doubt that, and will continue to doubt it until evidence is presented. It's very easy to say "I knew about it two years ago!"

Strawberry_Mew
02-10-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't see why everyone hates it either o.o I love FF7 one of my most fav games ever n_n

Necronopticous
02-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Final Fantasy VII brought a lot of innovation to the series but so did every other game, I loved Final Fantasy VII, but I loved the others in the series equally as much. I hate people that blow off the other games in the series and hold Final Fantasy VII as the only good installment. Some of these people I suspect have not even played any of the other games, and some I suspect have not even completed VII.

Frusterating.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
ok one thing how long do you think it takes? graphic designs music composing voice overs SFX animation theres more but those are just some things it can vary from 7 months to 4 years

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 08:32 PM
You answered that yourself. It varies. With the amount of people Square has working on it, I highly doubt it would take two years. I might, but I doubt it.

Regardless, I refuse to believe every person on the internet who says these things. If I believed all of them, I'd go insane. It's ridiculous to believe these people, who have no proof.

Sepho
02-10-2005, 08:48 PM
I've yet to read the entire thread, but I will and I'll edit my post when I'm done. However, this post caught my attention immediately:

Most people are annoyed by the fact that this is the one everyone is a slathering fanbody over, and that a great many have ignored the series before it. I think VI is by far the greatest game ever, and most certainly the greatest FF.

This really hits the nail on the head. I think FF7 may be a little bit higher on my personal list of favorites then that of TheAbominatrix (it's either third or fourth, for the record ), but FF7 has, by far, the largest following of fanboys of any game ever made. Many of the players who weren't playing RPGs prior to the PS1 generation of consoles won't give the 2D titles a second look. Granted, the general population of users of these forums don't seem to be serious offenders in that respect, and on the other hand, there are a good many people who have played the majority of the games in the series, and yet still hold FF7 as their favorite, and that's fine. The title of "Best FF" is a subjective one - it's all a matter of individual opinion, and that's a point that has been reiterated dozens of times throughout the history of the boards and should go without saying at this point.

I won't lie and say I grew up playing the FF games. The first one I played was FF7 (and to make it worse, several years after it was initially released. In fact, it introduced me to RPGs like it did so many other gamers who currently enjoy the genre), but I still had no problem going back playing the older games. I've played them all, and finished them all besides 3j and 5j. My personal favorite is VI, and not because giving that answer solidifies one's position as a respectable veteran.

VII is a good game, but even though I feel it's a futile argument to make, I still must say it's truely the most overrated game in the series. I like it - I've played through it six times - but there were FF titles released prior to, and following, VII.

I also share the sentiments of many users that Sephy wasn't really that wonderful. He's somewhat cliche'd, and there are much more original villains out there (like FFVI's Kefka).

EDIT: Just finished reading most of the thread, and noticed that most of what I just said is support for arguments already established.

EDIT2:

I feel that perhaps there are some FFVI fans that exaggerate the negativity of their opinion towards FF7 (whether it's a conscious action or not), out of annoyance at the fans who praise FF7 as the Great One. If that's the point that you're trying to make, then it's a good one.

Destai
02-10-2005, 08:58 PM
The largest difference that stands out to me is the Dark Modern theme. When it comes to RPG's in general I dislike the past medieval theme that all the other FF's have before VII. How many RPG's have the same theme as VII? It certainly strikes me as unique in that way.

ljkkjlcm9
02-10-2005, 09:03 PM
The largest difference that stands out to me is the Dark Modern theme. When it comes to RPG's in general I dislike the past medieval theme that all the other FF's have before VII. How many RPG's have the same theme as VII? It certainly strikes me as unique in that way.

Uhm VI wasn't medieval, there was definitely technology, in fact MAGItechnology. But that's not the point. I like the medieval theme sometimes, and sometimes the futuristic thing. But hey, they're all fantasy so whatever.

THE JACKEL

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 09:03 PM
There are a good number with the 'modern' theme. I'm playing Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits as we speak, and it's a modern one. I personally dont find VII too dark, save for the parts in Midgar. Offhand I cant think of many, but there have been more with modern themes.

Sepho
02-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I edit my post to include one of your quotes, and by the time I get back the thread, you had already posted again :p.

I understand what you're saying about the atmosphere of FF7. It has a bunch of different themes mixed into one (including general sci-fi, with a little bit of a post-apocalyptic feel in some situations), and it makes it somewhat unique. I would also have to say that any futuristic setting is a good contrast to the medievil worlds typically found in RPGs (though, I'd like to point out that futuristic, or at least "modern" backdrops seem to prevalent in RPGs of recent years).

However, I don't think it's any more unique then, say, FF8, with the military theme and a world revolving around war. Also, I would hardly label FF6 as your standard swords n' shields adventure either. It had many different elements in its story and setting that held it above the norm. Although some of the town maps would lead you to believe otherwise, FFVI was more sci-fi than anything, what with Magitek technology and what have you.

EDIT: And now there's two posts between that and this one. You guys are fast today :D.

Destai
02-10-2005, 09:20 PM
FFVI makes me think Industrial revolution.

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Yeah, it's most certainly that sort of era.

Cuchulainn
02-10-2005, 09:38 PM
I may have been harsh to a point, to which I apologise, blame work. My point was that so many people ignore this games pro's simply because too many other people acknowledge them. Whether or not it is a fanboy magnet that should not be allowed to cloud your judgement on the game, you become a sheep to your hate & lose your own power of judgement.
This game is in my top 3 FF's VI was my first & I hold it dear in my heart but FVII when I bought it in 1997 simply blew me away, it may also hold sentemental value as it reminds me of a time when everything around me was golden, and for that, it remains golden.
As Seph wisely said, this is subjective and will never be an argument that can be won or lost. My intentions were not to insult, just to tell it from my eyes.

Be Good PPL

Sepho
02-10-2005, 09:39 PM
About the Industrial Revolution thing:

I get that vibe as well, along with a general revolution feel in many aspects. Consider the changes the state of the world goes through during the course of the game.

I may have been harsh to a point, to which I apologise, blame work. My point was that so many people ignore this games pro's simply because too many other people acknowledge them. Whether or not it is a fanboy magnet that should not be allowed to cloud your judgement on the game, you become a sheep to your hate & lose your own power of judgement.
This game is in my top 3 FF's VI was my first & I hold it dear in my heart but FVII when I bought it in 1997 simply blew me away, it may also hold sentemental value as it reminds me of a time when everything around me was golden, and for that, it remains golden.

And believe me, you have done a far better job at keeping your cool than many people, and you've done a good job by pointing out that you played and enjoyed FFVI prior to playing FFVII. It goes along with what I said about some people genuinely liking it better while still having played the rest of the series.

Destai
02-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Late again :D

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 09:41 PM
This is true, but I dont see anyone ignoring the games pros in this thread. Anyone who has said that VII isnt their favorite has also said that it isnt a horrid game, and some have even listed reasons why.

And dont worry about being insulting, it happens to the best of us <3

§håd0w
02-10-2005, 09:48 PM
"The greatest game ever," is just a title given to the game by some crazed reviewer to hype up media on it. I found many things about it that were superb, and many things I didn't like. Quite frankly, I see FFVI as a much better game than VII in many aspects, but that's just my opinion.

We should all gather around the bonfire and toast marshmallows instead. Everyone loves marshmallows.

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 09:49 PM
kay! Party at my trailer! xD

Sepho
02-10-2005, 09:50 PM
We should all gather around the bonfire and toast marshmallows instead. Everyone loves marshmallows.

Nonsense :mad2: .

I willn't eat marshmallows lest they be enveloped in chocolat and crackers de graham. OOOOOooooohhhhh. Now I'm mad :mad2: . How dare you insinuate that marshmallows are the best game in the series? Clearly, you must be aware that EZ Cheze is superior in every aspect.

§håd0w
02-10-2005, 09:51 PM
If I bring those, will you join?

If so, everyone head over to TheAbominatrix's trailer. :)

Sepho
02-10-2005, 09:52 PM
If I bring those, will you join?

If so, everyone head over to TheAbominatrix's trailer. :)

Totally :cool:

§håd0w
02-10-2005, 10:01 PM
teh w00t!!!111

Abominatrix, we're headin' over.

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Yay!

Shoden
02-10-2005, 10:46 PM
ok here it's called a caravan dont ask me why but if you have chocolate im there

Luc
02-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Ok.....if FFVII is considered the greatest game ever, why do so many ppl hate it?

Because people have different opinions.

I personally prefer FFVI over FFVII. But I'm not going to go into detail, so I'll just leave it at that.

FallenAngel411
02-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Wow, this thread has grown since last night.....unfortunately, I am one of those who has only played the games after VII.....I want to try VI now, I'm interested afer hearing everyone talk about it. I dunno why, but I just never thought about going back and playing the old ones. I know they rereleased them for playstation, in two-game bundles or something. Is the one with VI on it called FF Chronicles?

Shoden
02-10-2005, 11:16 PM
no thats IV and Chrono Trigger

buy it seperate

Anthology has IV and V

TheAbominatrix
02-10-2005, 11:17 PM
VI and V were packaged together as Anthologies.

Shoden
02-10-2005, 11:20 PM
not in the UK Anthology was only Iv and V i had to buy VI seperate

The Man
02-10-2005, 11:20 PM
It's different in Europe, though; VI was released by itself, and IV and V were released together as Anthology. PAL regions have yet to receive releases of either Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross, which is a great shame.

Edit: Bah, Shoden beat me to it.

Destai
02-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Or Xenosaga, or FFTactics :mad2: I'll gladly sign any petitions to help bring these games to Europe.

TheAbominatrix
We dont know where fallenangel lives, which is why I put the American release in my post. I wasnt arguing with Shoden, he simply beat me to it.

FallenAngel411
Thanks! Gotta try it now. If so many people like it best of the series, it must be good :D

Ah, yeah, I live in America. I should put that down, shouldn't I? lol

RockabyeRy87
02-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Wow, I wish I had found this thread a LOT earlier.

I love FF in it's entirety, I've played through every game in the series to date.....and the only one I dislike is mystic quest.

I had received FF7 the day it came out, and it has and always will be my favorite game of all time. Sure, the graphics suck compared to today's standards....but for something released at the time, it wasn't bad. Especially if you consider the games length...

It's almost as if none of you read about the designers for the game. Yohttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifaka Amano created the story line for every game except VII, X, and X2. Originally according to an issue of EGM back in like......97 or 98, Tesuya Nomura, the creator of VII and X and it's followups........he wanted to make a gaiden (side story) for VII between Cloud and Aeris/Aerith. So a followup for the game has been debated about since then, and is now taking effect. Squaresoft wouldn't allow him the money or time to make the gaiden, due to the many projects that were on hand at the time. H

But think about it, cloud did make an appearance in tactics, so he had to be somewhat favored by square. Not to mention the ergheiz game featured many of the cast.

There are few things that make an FF game an FF game.....and VII just happened to incorporate some of them....so in turn, it became an FF game, despite it's utter difference from other games in the series.

Now I'm not saying FFVII is the shiznit or anything like that, in my opinion it is, but I have both a subjective and objective view of things. The open storyline, while confusing to me, accomplished it's goals in leaving gamers captivated. You couldn't create the emotions you did with FFVII in many games of that time, non gamers couldn't see little pixels and be affected by them.....not the same way as the CG scene with Aeris. Not to mention I still remember the commercial for the game...it was oogle-worthy at the time.

And...I've commonly read that a remake of the game wouldn't work quite the same on PS2......maybe PS3 we'll see something arise. Although I openly admit that an FFVII remake would rock my world.

I love VI as well don't get me wrong......just my preference. I love squaresoft games in general. Oh well, I could get into a discussion on FF games and squaresoft games that would go on for miles......so I'm just gonna shutup now. Just wanted to state some facts.

Shoden
02-11-2005, 06:38 PM
wow it seems i was quick with the Pal Europe and NTSC differences

Chrono Trigger is out in the UK it was released with FFIV as Final Fantasy chronicles i can get tactics and Xenosaga off a thing called eBay.

i havent played tactics at all but i have played tactics advance.

*gets some beer and drinks it he fills half the bottle with diesel Petrol and Meth (white spirit) he puts a cotten wool and fuse mixture into the top of it he shakes it around lights the fuse and throws it and then runs like hell not caring where it lands (caravan comes to mind actual;ly happened last year in my street once)*

soz for going off topic ive had a mass sugar overload

Chris
02-11-2005, 06:45 PM
It's really a question of reality.
The reality remains that Final Fantasy VII is the most beloved rpg game of all time,
it may sound corny to a lot of people but the fact remains.
Personally Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite, but I also adore Final Fantasy VII to the core.

feioncastor
02-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Just curious.....I mean, I've been looking around the forum here (I'm a newbie :) ) and I was surprised at how many people seem to totally HATE the game, and write out long, long, LOOOOOONG (but vastly entertaining) explanations on why it sucks, and debate its suckiness, and the ugliness of the hair, and.......why do so many people hate Cloud??? I just came off a forum where they were bashing him so badly that I flinched a few times.

Greatest game ever + greatest villain of all time + most beloved character death scene + best soundtrack ever = THE LAMEST FF OF THE SERIES

Mind you, that whole equation is not necessarily MY opinion, merely what I garnered was the general consensus of planet earth BEFORE seeing this forum (but I've heard plenty of ppl call it the lamest FF). But still, it doesn't add up. What gives??? Why does everyone seem to love it, yet be annoyed by it??? It's......weird. :confused:

Where to begin?

I don't hate FF7; I actually love it, but I can understand the frustration.
You see, even though FF6 was popular, it wasn't that popular. FF games were equated to that of a cult. Those of us who played them were few and far between, and you were a cool special unique person if you did. Then FF7 came out and suddenly everyone thought they were FF experts because they beat Sephiroth. The tiny little franchise we could fit in our back pocket suddenly exploded, and even I resent those who have only played the newer ones. There's so much to be enjoyed in the older ones, and if 7 hadn't come along, then the franchise would still be enjoyable. But thanks to the new audience that 7 opened up, Squaresoft stopped focusing on the game/story/etc. and put too much effort into graphics, because that's all this new audience cared about. Before, the graphics were terrible, but they were sufficient. We played the early FFs for the stories and gameplay. The graphics had 0% sway in my desicion to buy FF3 when it came out for the SNES.

Now onto your points presented:

calling FF7 the greatest game ever is unfair statement unlesss you've actually played every game ever made. Obviously you haven't, and your opinion is valid and all, but that's not too much evidence for your case.

Kefka from FF6 is a way better villian Sephiroth. Sephiroth is cool and all, but he's not that evil. His intentions actually seem a bit noble. Trying to stop the evil people from destorying the earth and moving into the promised land. Sephiroth is almost a good guy, but he goes about it in the wrong way. Kefka on the other hand, is genuinely of the criminally insane. He's f***ing nuts. He kills people because he's bored. Sephiroth only killed those that he thought needed to die or were standing in his way.

Beloved character death scene... Yeah, I have to agree with you there. When Aeris died, I initially thought it was a dream (because I was playing at like 1AM at the time), and until I completed the game, I figured she was coming back at some point.

As far as the best soundtrack goes, it does have an excellent soundtrack, but the general consensus is that FF6 is Nobuo Uematsu's finest work. Nobuo himself said so, in an interview right before the release of FF9. 7 has a memorable soundtrack, and the songs fit the situations very well. But FF6 is just in-friggin-credible, and FF4 is very good too.

Cloud is hated because of his cocky "don't care" attitude. Most main characters have compassion and care about the cause they fight for. Cloud rarely shows emotion. The other main characters have a vast range of emotions, and Cloud gets sad a few times, but I dont' recall him ever getting happy or excited. Squall (from FF8) was the same way, just worse (which pretty much ruined the game). They both had that "lone bad-a**" persona, which isn't a good persona for a main character. You can't pin that tag on FF6 because I don't think it has a defined main character, but that's a whole different topic.

Sorry about the long post, but it was kinda necessary to say what I needed to say.

Feion

Shoden
02-11-2005, 07:32 PM
meh I still prefer 7 but the title of best music goes to VIII almost every piece in the game was top form 6 seconds to that then 4 then 7 but the thing is many people could arhue for years and not prove the point ive finished 8 9 10 and 3 but i dont tiel myself as a FF master i think 7 is the best in series because its my favourite but we have to respect other oppinions as long as they dont go outta hand and becomes dictation and facism.
Final Fantasy became very popular when 7 came out but because of that many gamers never play 6 or below they are pretty good games except 3 and below which sucked really really bad.
i have my reasons for liking VII but dont take a hippy fit over it.

Destai
02-11-2005, 07:47 PM
Chrono Trigger is out in the UK it was released with FFIV as Final Fantasy chronicles i can get tactics and Xenosaga off a thing called eBay.
i havent played tactics at all but i have played tactics advance.
>.<............

No you cant play any of those games! *STRESSED* The chrono series, Xeno series or FFT. You cant play any of them without hard to find and possibly illegal setup because theyre NTSC format. (they dont work on European PS2,s, DVD players etc.)

FallenAngel411
02-11-2005, 10:24 PM
calling FF7 the greatest game ever is unfair statement unlesss you've actually played every game ever made. Obviously you haven't, and your opinion is valid and all, but that's not too much evidence for your case.

Just because I hate looking bad, I would like to clear up that that's actually not my opinion, only what I've heard said about the game over and over and over again up until I entered these forums. My whole point was that everyone seemed to think it epitomized the perfect game up until I came here and found people bashing it like crazy. It just kinda surprised me, that's all. I love FFVII, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it the greatest game ever, either. That would be quite fan-boyish. Or fan-girlish, in my case. I'm not the type of person who goes around squealing that one thing is better than everything else in existence.

Now Zelda.......NOTHING compares to Zelda. It is golden, and holy. Bow before the power of the Master Sword, ye of inferior opinions.

(just kidding)

Destai
02-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Now Zelda.......NOTHING compares to Zelda. It is golden, and holy. Bow before the power of the Master Sword, ye of inferior opinions. :D whoo Tetra forever!

§håd0w
02-11-2005, 10:29 PM
AMENZ!!!!

FallenAngel411
02-11-2005, 10:33 PM
lol :tongue:

Shoden
02-11-2005, 11:01 PM
i bought Chrono trigger from the shops in the FF chronicles pack

Destai
02-11-2005, 11:07 PM
I cant explain it, The PAL version was never created. If you have that upgrade (which thanks to you, Im seriously considering to buy) you should be able to use it but it shouldnt have been released in any shops in the UK. It was second hand I guess and traded in or something like that would be my guess.

Shoden
02-11-2005, 11:12 PM
well it was cheap meh musta been 2nd hand. My PS2 plays copied NTSC and Pal games aswell

Born of Fantasy
02-15-2005, 02:33 PM
I think most people are just bitter their beloved Final Fantasy VI didn't get the recognition they wanted. My opinion is that if Final Fantasy VI got the attention Final Fantasy VII gets they would have no complaint about Final Fantasy VII. So it's really all biased opinions. The fact of the matter is having played both, and once again stating that Final Fantasy VI was the game that began my love for Final Fantasy, both are excellent games and have good traditional game play with hours of fun. They are both different, with different backstories and characters. So to compare them to each other is foolish. They are both gems in their own right. Final Fantasy VII didn't get such high marks in both the United States and Japan because it wasn't good. It kicked much booty.

TheAbominatrix
02-15-2005, 09:45 PM
Yes, because if we dont like your game the best, we're obviously just bitter. Get off it, that's such a cop out explination. It's not my favorite because it's not my favorite. I've listed numerous reasons why it's not my favorite, as has everyone else. And all we get in return is 'You're just bitter'. How childish.

strawberryman
02-16-2005, 02:32 AM
Okay- I might be repeating some stuff because I got here late, but I want to put my two bits in anyway.
First of all-
No FF game sucks. Plain and simple. They are all a notch over alot of games that say they're great. Let me get even clearer in that statement.
No Squaresoft game sucks for that matter. (Chrono Trigger rocked, so I had to add that in the mix.) So Hardcore FF7 fans who say-
"FF6 ARE TEH SUX0RZ" Have probably not even played the game.
Kinda like me hating broccoli as a kid cause I would'nt try it. Of course, Because of these FF7 fans spreading bad rumors because the others gave a different view have prevented alot of people from even trying the earlier releases.
That makes me sad.
And Secondly-
An RPG game is not about 'Better Graphics' or a 'Better Battle System'. It's all about one thing. Story, Story, Story. You may not realize it when you're playing, but all RPG's are- are stories.
Alot of people who've played FF6 (as stated by theabominatrix) went into FF7 with high expectations. Personally, I can't really say anything about FF7, as I have'nt played through all of it. (Because my grandma did something with disk 2&3.) Back to the point...
The FF6 people were kind of dissapointed, because they set their sights too high. That does'nt mean they all hated it. If you think that, then you're just stereotyping. But FF7 fans who don't want to play a game with 'Bad Graphics' or a 'slow battle system' are the worst. They are not true FF fans.

I started playing final fantasy on the 8th installment. Personally, because it was a gift from my mom (whom I do not see very often) FF8 holds a special spot in my heart. FF9 was the second one, and I loved that one as well. I love all of the FF games.
In short, all the Squaresoft games are winners. Just some more than others.

Last but not least-
Considering FF6 has such a complete ending, it does'nt need a sequel.
FF7 and 10 had loose ends to tie up, so they're more apt to sequels.
I have one thing to say though. I hated FFX-2. Period. Yes i've played it, And i hate it. It was probably the least successful of any of the Final Fantasies in any scope, except money. Squaresoft pulled a sucker punch on me, but I can forgive them.

Because I was borrowing it.

About KH- I would've rather fought Kefka. Kefka would've been a bit more fun to fight against. Now BOTH... That would rock.

EDIT- Now think about it, folks. If it were'nt for FF1 hitting so big in the olden days, we would'nt even be talking about this right now. Be greatful for the old ones.
EDIT 2- When I meant No FF game sucks, I meant ALMOST no FF game sucks. I forgot to add that.
I completly despise X-2.

§håd0w
02-17-2005, 01:41 AM
So Hardcore FF7 fans who say-
"FF6 ARE TEH SUX0RZ" Have probably not even played the game.

Generally those who say stuff like that haven't played anything but FFVII.

DJZen
02-17-2005, 05:50 AM
I just don't like the direction that the direction took with FFVII. It was really not the first game to head in this direction. FFVI was trying just as hard to be that epic and cinematic, but as we all know, cartridges have teh s uck. It was the introduction of FMV and detailed character models into the series that really made it so different. Suddenly we can spend 5 hours watching the characters talk about their feelings. I'm not saying these things wouldn't have happened in an earlier game, but they didn't. Not to that extent anyway. It was the things that these games introduced that people latched on to. Suddenly what made an RPG and RPG changed.

Am I bitter about it? Yes.

People have a seriously distorted historical perspective of the game. There is no one feature of the game (graphics, sound, etc.) that had not already been done better. People are also quick to dish out hate on Ted Woolsey for his habit of completely changing things in his scripts, but these same people tend to neglect how terrible the translation of FFVII was. Was it a good game? Sure. Was it the best ever? I don't think so. It certainly isn't the best selling RPG of all time. Only Enix's games get to claim that honor. My point is that I am indeed bitter but only because I don't think FFVII deserves all the praise it gets. It's a fun a game and I like it, but I'd be hard pressed to care less about the characters in it. Except Heidegger of course, but that's only because he exceeds the confines of the genre.

Really, I don't get what the fuss is over Cloud. Or Sephiroth for that matter. Is it the big sword thing? Or is it just that they both look feminine? Perhaps it's a combination of the two. In any event, FFVII changed the face of RPGs forever. I just think we coulda found a better archetype. Like Square's Tom Sawyer for example.

YukiKiro
02-17-2005, 08:24 AM
i will agree, everyone thinks he's great because he destroyed a village and killed aeris, a village of defencless people and 1 major character, and he spent the rest of the game on the run, reall bad ass... i personnaly like ffVIII better, i don't know why. ffVII was a great game, yeah, but the best, don't count on it.

anima977
02-17-2005, 12:49 PM
Look at it this way. George DUBYA Bush got the most votes of any president and is also the most HATED world leader of recent memory ( he has had more protesters than Hitler did.)
get it?
for the record, i hope Bush is removed from office before 2008.
bring on the Dean/Edwards card for 2008!!!!!!

Kenshin IV
02-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Yay for comparing video games to politics!

I'm sure these reasons have been stated before, but reasons people don't like it usually have to do with A) Everyone loves it, so that automatically means some people HAVE to hate it B) It's not 2D, and anything 3D = Satan, or C) Hey, guess what? They actually legitametly didn't care for it.

The last reason seams to be the most uncommon, though.

TheAbominatrix
02-18-2005, 07:56 AM
It's the most common in this thread.

Born of Fantasy
02-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Yes, because if we dont like your game the best, we're obviously just bitter. Get off it, that's such a cop out explination. It's not my favorite because it's not my favorite. I've listed numerous reasons why it's not my favorite, as has everyone else. And all we get in return is 'You're just bitter'. How childish.

I'm sorry if you just read the beginning of my post and missed the rest of it. I stated that both of them are great games and Final Fantasy VI was in fact the whole reason I started playing Final Fantasy. And the reason why I believe their is bitternes is only redefined when you say "your" game and "our" game. I already stated I have no affiliaton on either side. So statements like this come from unease and or complete objection. People don't have to like Final Fantasy VII the best or Final Fantasy VI the best. They can prefere either or. I would recomend that you don't knock it till you have really played the game, all the way through, then your view can be objective. Just because you don't like a game doesn't mean it isn't A. The best or B. A great game. A title like "the best" cannot be given unless a large amount of people feel that way and, while I am not stating Final Fantasy VII is the greatest game of all time, it did however gain the title of "A greatest hit." Now whoever started this whole idea that anyone specific game is the greatest game of all time, and apparenty in this case someone heard it was Final Fantasy VII, said person is only stating their opinion. And the same goes for the people who say Final Fantasy VI is better. I am also stating an opinion when I say I think both are great games. However I have an objective view having played them both. Still it is an opinion. Someone may think they both suck. But this bitter feud between the two sides is ignorant, at best that is. Opinions are opinions and this doesn't make any side right. Different strokes for different folks.

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2005, 01:39 AM
I read your entire post. I still dont see why that makes it fine to say our dislike is bitterness. I dont even see this debate as a 'bitter fued', except for a few people making snide little comments to belittle how we feel.

Dont knock a game till I've played it all the way through? I've beaten FFVII three times. I suggest you take your own advice and accept that some people simply dont like your favorite game. And yes I will continue to use 'your' and 'our'

udsuna
02-20-2005, 01:51 AM
Yeah, what he said. (edit: SHE said... sorry, Abominatrix)
I loved FF7- it just lacks originality (and if you've played FFs 1-6, you'll know what I'm talking about, if not: well, you can't possibly make fair argument.) And since making a game that isn't a clone is a requirement for ANY self-respecting critique, FF7 lost by default.

Born of Fantasy
02-20-2005, 02:42 AM
I read your entire post. I still dont see why that makes it fine to say our dislike is bitterness. I dont even see this debate as a 'bitter fued', except for a few people making snide little comments to belittle how we feel.

Dont knock a game till I've played it all the way through? I've beaten FFVII three times. I suggest you take your own advice and accept that some people simply dont like your favorite game. And yes I will continue to use 'your' and 'our'

Well TheAbominatrix once again, and I don't say this to be rude, I believe you have misinterpreted what I have said. First I would like to clarify, when I made statements like "don't knock a game untill you have tried it", I was not aiming those directly at you, but instead anyone who might have a dislike for a game without actually beating it. Now you are also wrong in your statement that Final Fantasy VII is my favorite game. I have stated at least 3 times already that I like both of them equally, and neither one over the other. And as for bitterness, it appears to me that taking a stance that when people say "Final Fantasy VII is the best." they are trying to belittle your feelings,that apears to me that you are really not very secure. If somone bashing something you like belittles your feelings well then that's just sad. Simply put, don't listen to people putting down what you like. And this applies the other way as well. Don't insult what they like. That is infantile. As for take my own advice, well I already said that I am cool with both games so.... yeah. No comment there. In short I'm not bashing you, I'm not bashing anyone. I stated my opinion and I believe everyone is entitled to their own. It just appeared to me that everyone was onesiding and I thought it should be noted that each game hold special memories for us all, and to respect that for everyone. And use "yours" and "ours" all you want.

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2005, 02:53 AM
I havent bashed anyones game. Ive stated my feelings on that game, and excuse some of the things I said, I thought you were Shoden (because of the avatar) continuing his little banter. That's my bad.

Born of Fantasy
02-20-2005, 03:14 AM
I havent bashed anyones game. Ive stated my feelings on that game, and excuse some of the things I said, I thought you were Shoden (because of the avatar) continuing his little banter. That's my bad.

Hey no problem man. It's all cool. And once again, I wasn't singling you out so don't feel offended. What is Shoden's favorite Final Fantasy game Final Fantasy VII?

TheAbominatrix
02-20-2005, 03:18 AM
Yeah it is. Thanks for bein cool <3

Sepho
02-20-2005, 03:24 AM
Hey, I'm cool as well, as evidenced by the following sunglasses smilie: :cool:

Well, this has been a marathon thread, to say the least.

Lucca
02-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Ok...I did not read all of the discussion,but...A similiar one took place on a different forum,and I`ll say the same thing: Why fight over something wich we all think is great? We all know the FF series are one of,if not the best games of all time. We all (well,mostly) agree that FFX-2 sucks,and that we owe respect for the older FFs. But it`s senseless to compare FFVI an VII when they are two totally different games,with a different story,feel and taste. So someone will like 6,someone 7,someone 9,etc. The point is,is there an FF wich you truly HATE (except FFX-2,that`s HORRIBLE),because you already have one wich you truly love? I know,doesn`t make much sense,but what the hay. My favorite is FFVII,and ever will be,but not because it was my first RPG or it is way better than VI(wich I did play,but still didn`t finish),or some other stuff. Just because i LIKE it. VERY much. End of story. Stop the arguing,will you,and enjoy the game,will you?

ljkkjlcm9
02-22-2005, 11:57 AM
Ok...I did not read all of the discussion,but...A similiar one took place on a different forum,and I`ll say the same thing: Why fight over something wich we all think is great? We all know the FF series are one of,if not the best games of all time. We all (well,mostly) agree that FFX-2 sucks,and that we owe respect for the older FFs. But it`s senseless to compare FFVI an VII when they are two totally different games,with a different story,feel and taste. So someone will like 6,someone 7,someone 9,etc. The point is,is there an FF wich you truly HATE (except FFX-2,that`s HORRIBLE),because you already have one wich you truly love? I know,doesn`t make much sense,but what the hay. My favorite is FFVII,and ever will be,but not because it was my first RPG or it is way better than VI(wich I did play,but still didn`t finish),or some other stuff. Just because i LIKE it. VERY much. End of story. Stop the arguing,will you,and enjoy the game,will you?

Learn punctuation will you?(ie spaces after comma and periods) That'd make that a lot easier to read thank you very much.

THE JACKEL

Cless
02-22-2005, 12:44 PM
and excuse some of the things I said, I thought you were Shoden
:lol:

Anyway, I can't really say what my favourite is. It tends to change on a very regular basis. But, I'd say FFVII does enjoy some days as my favourite. I did enjoy it a lot, just as I also enjoyed VI, IX and X a lot. However, I can admit that it does have a fair amount of flaws. I can also see why people would say that it's overated, given that some people appear to worship the game as a religion.

I personnaly, thought it was a great game. And, as much as I do like 6, I really couldn't choose between the two.

Learn punctuation will you?(ie spaces after comma and periods) That'd make that a lot easier to read thank you very much.
Umm... couldn't you have been just a teeny bit nicer when saying that. I mean, the guy hasn't been on here that long and it's very easy to feel intimidated when you're a newcomer. I'm not saying you shouldn't have asked it of him, but geez, could you not have been a bit nicer about it? It just struck me as being slightly rude. Especially considering that he's new here.

ljkkjlcm9
02-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Umm... couldn't you have been just a teeny bit nicer when saying that. I mean, the guy hasn't been on here that long and it's very easy to feel intimidated when you're a newcomer. I'm not saying you shouldn't have asked it of him, but geez, could you not have been a bit nicer about it? It just struck me as being slightly rude. Especially considering that he's new here.

Uhm I personally didn't think I was being mean. I didn't mean anything by it, I just thought it would help. Seriously don't be offended, just in the future keep it in mind to help out the reader! Again thanks.

THE JACKEL

Cless
02-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Uhm I personally didn't think I was being mean. I didn't mean anything by it, I just thought it would help. Seriously don't be offended, just in the future keep it in mind to help out the reader! Again thanks.

I'm sorry if it looked like I was getting on your case or anything! On reading the above post, I can see now that it wasn't your intention to offend, but only to help. I apoligise, and thanks for being okay about it.

Yuffie514
02-22-2005, 04:40 PM
i don't know if anyone really hates FF7 :mad: . maybe they love it, but every FF has their flaws :tongue: , something they hate about it :mad: . then again, i might be wrong :confused: . as for me, well i certainly don't call FF7 my favorite, but it's truly a great game :cool: when i look past the blocky graphics :tongue: :D . i had it good in this game until i lost my original file :( .

Lucca
02-22-2005, 07:03 PM

THE JACKEL

It was a quick post, so I had to type fast. And you weren`t too mean.

Wiegrahf42
02-23-2005, 03:04 AM
I don't hate FF VII, just all games have their flaws and I feel FFVII is extremely overated. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but not the best game ever by any means.

JunotDe
02-23-2005, 04:39 AM
Cuz bitches wanna be different

Masamune·1600
02-25-2005, 08:39 PM
I believe a that a number of people dislike Final Fantasy VII because it took something away from them. FFVII really sent the series mainstream, so all the gamers who grew up on FFIV (II on SNES) and FFVI (III on SNES) lost the claim that playing FF made them unique. This countercultural nostalgia, in my opinion, is what leads them to attack FFVII. All attacks on the story and characters are inane at best; FFVII had a nonpareil story and characters far more detailed and explored than any previous installment of the series. Yes, I am one of those people who will defend FFVII against anything, and yes, I think it is the greatest game ever. However, having played every Final Fantasy, I feel I can do so without the bias of most of the proponents of either side of the argument.

Sepho
02-25-2005, 08:55 PM
FF7 was the first game in the series that I had played, and by then it was already on the Greatest Hits list. I had know idea what an RPG was when I stumbled upon it at my friend's house. Since then, I've played nearly every game in the series but even without any unfavorable bias towards FF7, I can still make the claim that it's not my first-, or even second-favorite game in the series. It's probably just barely in my RPG top 5, if at all.

And playing RPGs didn't make you unique. It made you a nerd.

I won't argue that there a few players that fit the description you wrote, but it's a huge generalization. Once again, some people genuinely don't feel that it's the best game ever made, or that it's the best RPG ever made, or even that it's the best game in the series. And for valid reasons, but it's not as if those reasons need to be justified.

§håd0w
02-26-2005, 02:55 PM
Only reason I played it was because FFVI rocked my socks.

Masamune·1600
03-22-2005, 07:10 AM
I understand that there are many people who enjoy other FF's more than they did/do FFVII. However, I've seen far too many people denigrate FFVII without ever giving a reason to completely dismiss what I said. These people seem to have no reason (or no reason they'll ever give) for disliking the game, so I interpreted it as being a factor outside the game itself. As to the "nerd" point, that's just it: FFVII didn't eliminate the nerd label, but it stole the exclusivity of the series.

The only real attack on the game I hear is that too many FFVII fans defend it blindly. While many do, it seems they are actually a minority in this forum. It seems many more prefer other games. That's fine, but their attacks seem hypocritical if that is their only reason for the animus they display. If you don't like FFVII, explain why: explain what character traits you found appalling, or what gameplay aspects were bothersome.

As much as I enjoy FFVII, I have no problem with someone disliking it, even hating it. However, I have yet to see a coherent argument qualifying this hatred. In discussing opinions, all opinions should be allowed, but I would personally simply like to see more people explain (and perhaps examine) their own opinions.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-22-2005, 08:47 AM
FFVII was a good game, but as has been stated by many, FFVI is a game I like much more (although FFT is better than both of them).

FFVII's story was interesting, yes, but I must admit I generally prefer more fantasy than sci-fi elements, which is why FFVI appealed to me more.

I'd say more but it's way too early/late and I'm tired. I'll drop in later and say my piece.

AkiraMakie
03-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, i do like ffVII. Hell, i even love the game. It was not only my introduction into the final fantasy series, but also my introduction into RPG's all together. And for that, i will always love FF7. But, i would not say its my favorite FF. Now, i have never really played any ff before 7 so i can only speak about 7 on up. i accually like FF8 better than ff7. And on top of that, i like Xenogears better than both of them.

you really have to give ff7 credit where its due though. I mean, it single handedly brought rpg's into the forefront of gaming. If it wasnt for FF7, there would be so many rpg's that would have never made it to our shores. I mean, some of the final fantasy games never even got released here. But after ff7, Ever ff is garuanteed a states-side release.

And you cant really comment on how bad teh graphics where. i mean, at the time, it was teh best looking rpg ever. Even with the funny deformed charecters. It looked way better than anything out there. Comment on the graphics now would be pointless.

Ff7 was really hyped though. I mean, i couldnt drink a can of pepsi without seeing cloud's face on it.

Man, now that i think about it. FF7 was really great. I mean, The whole game started off so simple and then turned into something so much more. Like i really thought i was gonna spend all game blowing up those damn reactors. I had no idea what a world map was. Airship!? what was that!? It was all so new. Which kinda leads me too my point. You cant really be too mad at a person who loves ff7. Especially if it was the first ff/rpg they had ever played. It was a whole bunch of new experiences at once. Of course those who played past ff's and other rpg's before it kinda knew what to expect. But for those who were like me. I had no clue. I cant stop playing rpg's now. Hell, im willing to wager that if it wasnt for ff7, we wouldnt probably even be on this forum. I dont remember seeing a whole lotta FF forums before 7 came out.

but like i said, i like XG better than ff7 anyway.

While ff7 was like a good movie. XG was like a good anime. and i just love anime. (UhOh! anime fanboi!@!@!@!!@@@!!!)

Chris
03-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Final Fantasy VII was and still is my main reason for RPGs.
It was my first and to this day I still replay it several times a year; it's good and quite possibly the best game ever made, next to Streets of Rage II of course.

Lon611
03-24-2005, 10:36 PM
i don't hate ffvii either. its not my favorite, i personally find (counting the ones i've finished to the end at least) ff1, ffix, and ffx. and although i haven't fnisihed ffvi, thats more entertaining and appealing to me than ffvii.

then again, i can't speak too much on it cuz i've only made it and got stuck at the temple of the ancients, where that stupid wall thing keeps kicking my ass. the music is great, the characters are dynamic, and the story is mysterious and appealing.

the camera angles are weird, and frustrating at times, the plot sometimes folds and folds to the point where its confusing, and i PERSONALLY, don't enjoy the atb system that much.

not my fav, but a good game. i think it receives too much beef cuz it was such an early rpg, and rpg's have evolved so much since then

TifaLockhart7
03-27-2005, 02:15 AM
I haven't got a clue why people dislike the game.....tch...... they ALWAYS go for the new final fantasy games after part 7.... personally i think final fantasy 8 and up really sucked...but that's MY opinion so dont hold it against me if u think im wrong

FinalFantasyKid
03-27-2005, 03:06 AM
FinalFantasy VII had it's ups and downs. The major turnoff was the graphics. But that was in 1998. But what I don't get is, if many people hate, like you stated, why is there so many released/ upcoming, FFVII games. Such as Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, and even the movie AdventChildren.

Still think people hate it?

TheAbominatrix
03-27-2005, 03:09 AM
Yes, people hate it. They arent in the majority, but people hate it. Many people dislike it. As evidenced in this thread many times.

FinalFantasyKid
03-27-2005, 03:13 AM
Yes, I know. But not "everyone" hates it. Even if I hated it I'd play it.

-FFK

Savannah
03-27-2005, 06:00 AM
I believe a that a number of people dislike Final Fantasy VII because it took something away from them. FFVII really sent the series mainstream, so all the gamers who grew up on FFIV (II on SNES) and FFVI (III on SNES) lost the claim that playing FF made them unique. This countercultural nostalgia, in my opinion, is what leads them to attack FFVII. All attacks on the story and characters are inane at best; FFVII had a nonpareil story and characters far more detailed and explored than any previous installment of the series. Yes, I am one of those people who will defend FFVII against anything, and yes, I think it is the greatest game ever. However, having played every Final Fantasy, I feel I can do so without the bias of most of the proponents of either side of the argument.

I don't understand why some people have to come up with some sort of theory to explain why people dislike FF7. No, the game is not flawless. No, it is not the best in the series. No, it is not the most original in the series. No, people don't resent it simply because it made the series popular. No, not all "attacks" on its characters and plot are "inane at best."

People dislike it for reasons that are just as legitimate as your reasons for liking it.

Masamune·1600
03-27-2005, 06:21 AM
The whole point of my entire rant is that people seem rather reticent when it comes to actually giving reasons for disliking the game. People are certainly free to form their own opinions, but opinions generally have reasons. In my "clarification" post, where I expanded on my original ideas, this was pointed out. The very next post stated that the author preferred fantasy to sci-fi elements. And that's enough of a reason to satisfy me. Unfortunately, far too many people say that the game is terrible, or overrated, or disappointing, without ever bothering to state just why they find this to be the case. My "theory" may be a bit extreme, but that's because there's far too often nothing else to explain the situation.

Apollo
03-27-2005, 08:57 AM
I know alot of people will hate me for this but oh-well :).I just do not really like this game. I used to absolutly hate this game, but I replayed it and gave it a chance.I still do not really like it but because I just really did not like the characters ('cept for Tifa and Aeris). The story was ok but just in my opinion not as good as IV,VI,V,IIj-(lol),IX,and especially(SP)VIII. The soundtrack was good but to be honest I liked FFIIj's music better ^_^. I sort of get your point FallenAngel, I suprised that so many people in this forum hate it for I think it is the most overrated game on the series. ;) .If you what to get intop detail with all of the resons I have just posted feel free to PM me. I will be glad to explain in extreme detail for why I don't like this game. OK......
oK.

Well thats my 2-cents. :greenie:
EDIT:I jsut have to say this. Ok people who might think that I am a I-VI hardcore fanboy is mistaken.Sure I love the old series.But my favorite FF is of course FFVIII. I also love IX,X, and even X-2. I could care less if alot people loved this game or if alot of people hated this game it wouldn't change the fact that I didn't like it! As I said before if you want me to go into extreme detail why I don't like this game, feel free to PM me.

Destination0
03-27-2005, 09:39 AM
I see no reason to love this game whatsoever

J.C.M.F.
03-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Well, i was surfing your threads and came across this one. I like to try to make my first post on threads to be rather valuable, and it seems it might have some value here.

Let me start off by saying I'm a big fan of the FF series. I've been playing the games since FF2 (FF4: Easytype - Japan) for the SNES and have played every game, including translated roms of FF3 (Japan) My favorite game, by far is FFVI. With the multitude of characters, plot lines, plot twists, and possibly the most entertaining story in any FF game. It would also seem that I'm not alone in this opinion (which would be a first).

What disturbs me is how much it would seem you people dislike FFVII. I really do find it hard to believe anyone who likes FF games would dislike FFVII. FFVII may not be the best in the series, but it definitely has many strong points. Granted it does take a lot from other games in the FF series, but if you think about it, it wouldn't be Final Fantasy if it didn't. To describe this game, I'll compare it to other FFs.

Battle System - Nothing quite new here. FFVI uses the same ATB system that was first introduced to the US with FF4. So technically, FF6 is guilty of this too. Basically the little bars move across the screen, when they are full, you perform your action. The characters with higher speed, or with haste, naturally have their bars fill faster, while with slow, or stop, decrease the speed or just stop respectively. FF4 characters were limited as in every character could not use magic and were only able to use their respective abilities, such as Kick, Black Magic, White Magic, and so on. Every character however could use Attack and Item. FF6 upped it a notch by letting every character (except Umaro) learn Magic, and then giving them all one special ability, like Celes's runic, Terra's Morph, or Gogo's mime. FF7 upped it another notch with the materia system by letting any character equip those special abilities. FF4 didn't have strategy when configuring party members since you were only able to use what they gave you. In FF6, you would set your party in certain combinations to create better strategies, such as bring Celes if you fight a boss who uses magic alot, use Sabin if the enemy is weak against physical attacks, use Terra when weak against Magic, use Locke when they have valuable items to steal. FF7 removed this strategy of creating your party, but it let your characters be more customizeable, and let's face it, being able to customize your characters can be quite fun and strategic as well. FF7 added another feature to the battle system that has been accepted very well and since FF7 has been adopted into other FF game that came out after it, this being the Limit Break. FF8 followed it with the weak character specials, FF9 followed it with the trance (bad-timing), and FFX followed suit with the overdrive (pretty much the same as the Limit Break), hell even FFXI copied that with the TP meter (something I haven't seen in any other MMO).

Magic System - FF6 and FF7 have pretty much the same magic system, however both have one frustration and one bonus. The bonus in FF6 was that once you learned the spell, you could keep it even if you removed the magicite, however you had to learn each spell individually with each character. In FF7, if you removed the materia, you wouldn't be able to use the magic it provided, however, if you equipped it on another person, they could use the magic without having to gain all the experience to use it.

Both games offered excellent gameplay systems, it's no wonder these two are major favorites.

Graphics - Ok, comparing FF games graphically is really just cheating. You can't really give an FF game more credit for its graphical ability, considering each game following the other improved, some slightly, some greatly. There is one thing that can be said about the graphics of the FF games. At the time of their release, they were pretty much the best looking, or one of the best looking games of their time. If you compare graphics of FF6 to games now, it's called /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty. If you compare graphics of FF7 to games now, it's called /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gifty. At it's release, no game was better graphically than FF7, except for maybe the first RE game, but the CGs in FF7 are what really made it a graphical powerhouse (for its time). Each successive FF game got increasingly better, FF8 adopted real-time graphics similar to the RE games, while it's CGs got a major overhaul that seem to still be able to rival those of current games. FFX upped the bar with making it's real-time graphics look almost as if your watching a CG, sharper than RE: Code Veronica.

Story, this is where any good FF game shines. Ill start with the most commonly known ones:

FF1 what can I say, not the best, but hell, definitely the best story the NES ever saw, plus without it, we wouldn't have 6 or 7.

FF4 was full of interesting dialog worthy of novel status. Love, Friendship, Betrayal, Death, and Sacrifice, all there. Although the story was very linear, it made you feel like you could connect with the characters and really know them. The love between Cecil and Rosa, the friendship between Cecil and Kain, the breaking of their friendship with Kains betrayal, the Death of Tellah from his noble sacrifice, and lets not forget the sacrifice of the two twins. Only problem with the storyline was its linear trend, but still one of the best.

FF6, doing all the same great things FF4 did, getting bonus points for having a large amount characters, each with intertwining side-stories. Terra wanting love and feeling alone. Celes being cast out of the military. Locke not wanting to fail Celes like he failed Rachel. Edgar being the king of Figaro, but missing his brother Sabin who turned down the thrown. (Although not a major character, still noble to mention) General Leo being betrayed by his own government, feeling remorse and eventually killed by the power he once believed in. And let's not forget possibly one of the greatest points, the actual destruction of the world and the fight for rebirth.

FF7 again had all the great story elements as well. Cloud being a lone-mercenary, trusting no-one but himself. The affection Tifa held for Cloud, the affection Cloud held for both Tifa and Aeris. The death of such a gentle and kind person, Aeris. The realization of the truth of Cloud's past. The almost near-destruction of the planet. And although not pertaining to the story, possilby the best mini-games in any FF.

FF8 also had great story elements, although it dragged around discs 2 and half of 3, its story really did pick up and get very interesting. Squall being pretty much a machine, doing what he was told, learns compassion and love for Rinoa. Learns friendship and teamwork from all the others. The twist that when they were all children, they knew eachother and that there guardian (the one they felt as a mother) was being controlled by their enemy. Rinoa being the next in line for being Ultimecia's puppet.

FF9 although it being a common favorite, I enjoyed it up until the very end. Necron gave me a big "?". The game pretty much had nothing to do with the crystals, no mention of Necron anywhere and bam, there he is. It's like he was thrown in there for an extra boss fight. FF9's story is probably worth that of an FF title, other than the final boss, but probably the last on my list of FF titles I'd recommend. Although it had many good points. Zidanes affection towards Dagger/Garnet and Vivi learning that he was constructed to be used as a weapon, not knowing how long or how short he had left to live.

FFX had an excellent storyline. A false religion focused on sacrificing their hero to the enemy, only to have peace for 10 years. The affection between Tidus and Yuna. The learning that Auron was an unsent. The learning of the truth of the religion and the Al Bhed. And although ending on a very sad note, the learning that Tidus was an unsent and that he disappeared as well.

I know some poeple said that if the game was great, why does it need a sequel. To tell the truth, they don't need a seque. In fact, it's because that they were so great that they got a sequel. It's because of their mass popularity that they got a sequel. The ending to FFX was just fine actually, although sad (have to admit it, I cried), it had a real ending. The religion was over, Sin would not be back in 10 years. It brought closure. FFX-2 just decided to add to it by bring Tidus back, although it kind of ruins the theory of the unsent. As for FF7, it also had closure, Shinra was gone, Sephiroth was defeated, the world was saved. Cloud and Tifa at the end decide that they may be able to find Aeris, and will look for her together. Advent Children is really just an add-on to it, and Dirge of Cerberus takes place after Advent Children.
Why did these games get sequels, let's face it, money. These two titles have been rated the most popular FF games of all time (notice popular, I'll explain why in a sec). These two games have instant name recognition. When a highly popular game comes out, and people love it, they can't help but want another experience just like it, so that's where the sequel comes in. Square hopes to market off of the previous games success with a sequel. This tactic has been done for years, not just with videogames, but with movies and books.

Now, why are these games so popular, well, FF7 and FFX naturally have a much larger fanbase. Back in the days of FF4 and FF6, there werent even half as many people who played videogames as much as there were during the time of FF7 and FFX. Let me be 100% honest here, people didn't want to read in a videogame. Back when FF4 and FF6 came out, when you asked someone what an RPG was, they would draw a "?". They had no idea. The best way to describe it would be to say it's a game with a lot of dialog. They'll respond, oh those games, no thank you, you shouldn't have to read to play a game. A game is supposed to be fun, reading is boring. But now, games like FF7 and FFX had stunning graphics and were just beautiful. In FF7, people didn't care that they had the read, just as long as they could see the awesome visuals. FF7 was also highly commercialized, having special promos on TV and even Pepsi (I still have my Pepsi 12-pack with FF7 characters on it). No FF game had received that much recognition before. FF6 had one commercial, but hardly anyone saw it, I can barely remember it. The commercialization of FF7 brought a numerous amount of fans to the RPG genre, realizing that "hey, this game is quite good, it looks awesome and has an interesting story, it's like a movie, but I'm controlling it". With the addition of voices to FFX, it just increased it's popularity and fanbase, now people didn't have to read all the time.

So, do you see why FF7 is so popular. It's basically timing, its the game that came out at the right time and had the right treatment. It was Squares big powerhouse great. They put more money into this game than any other FF game before it, and when you put more money into something, it usually returns. FF7 just happened to be the right game, at the right time.

Now, if you want my Top 5 for FF games, it FFVI, FFVII, FFIV, FFXIII, FFX. And let me just say, they are all pretty close to one another on the spectrum.
Now, not technically pertaining to this thread, but really pertaining to this site and Square, my favorite game of all time, the one that I think is the best game I've ever played is Chrono Trigger. I must have played this game so much I think I remember every little detail to it.

(Now, if you dislike any of these games, that's fine. We all have our different opinions and are entitled to them. But you should remember to give credit where credit is due. Something about a game just has to be right when so many people love it. Some may not understand a games popularity, but often times its obvious. For me, I think one of the most over-rated games of all time is Halo, but that's me. I understand why it's over-rated, but to me it's still over-rated.

Sorry it's long, I'm trying to make a point.)

Lucca
03-27-2005, 09:31 PM
You can sure make a point. Read it all, and totally agree.

Zanark
03-27-2005, 09:55 PM
It's quite simple, these people are.....INSANE!!!!!

TheAbominatrix
03-27-2005, 10:30 PM
It's quite simple, these people are.....INSANE!!!!!

Okay, so anything you dont like and I do, you're insane for not liking.

Glad that's settled.

I dont see why we need complex reasons for disliking something. Why do we have to articulate a list of reasons? I dont like it that much. Period. I dont ask people to explain to me in detail why they DO like it, because I respect that everyone is different and everyone likes different things. It's a shame very few FFVII fans will simply respect that not everyone agrees with them, and I thank the ones that have expressed those feelings.

Lon611
03-27-2005, 11:00 PM
i agree wtih everything J.C.M.F. said. oh, and i like how he counted FFXIII as one of his favorites. :rolleyes2

Squall of SeeD
03-28-2005, 12:03 AM
J.C.M.F, your point is good and certainly accurate: It was the game's timing, the manner in which it was advertised (note that the commercials for it only feature FMV scenes), and the new heights that had been reached with graphics that launched it into the stratosphere of popularity. That's not really relevant in regard to the matter of why folks would dislike it (very simply, different things appeal to different people), but it's accurate.

There are, however, a few things I want to touch on in your Post:

FF7 added another feature to the battle system that has been accepted very well and since FF7 has been adopted into other FF game that came out after it, this being the Limit Break.

Final Fantasy VI was actually the first to introduce this concept. The first form of this concept were VI's Desperation Moves that characters would occasionally perform when they had been wounded and sent into critical HP levels.

The love between Cecil and Rosa, the friendship between Cecil and Kain, the breaking of their friendship with Kains betrayal, the Death of Tellah from his noble sacrifice, and lets not forget the sacrifice of the two twins.

Tellah's death wasn't noble, really. He did it for revenge, not to protect the world:

Elder: Tellah?

Tellah: It's been a while.

Porom: We met him on Mt. Ordeals.

Palom: And guess what? The old man learned Meteo.

Elder: What!? Meteo, the legendary spell, unsealed? What is happening
to this world...?

Tellah: I couldn't care less as long as I avenge Anna!

Elder: Your daughter Anna?

Tellah: Golbez took her life. I swear I'll crush him with my Meteo!

Elder: Tellah, you should not fight with hatred. Besides, you are in no
condition to use Meteo.

Tellah: If I die, so be it! I will kill Golbez at any cost!

Tellah: ...I failed...

Cid: Keep still!

Tellah: I'm such a fool... I lost myself...in hatred. Avenge my
daughter...for me...I beg you...

he game pretty much had nothing to do with the crystals, no mention of Necron anywhere and bam, there he is. It's like he was thrown in there for an extra boss fight.

This might be more subjective than anything, but I believe Necron was mentioned, just not by name.

Read this Thread (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1049666#post1049666) if you're curious about my observations on this matter.

And although ending on a very sad note, the learning that Tidus was an unsent and that he disappeared as well.

Tidus was a Dream of the Fayth, not an Unsent.

Anyway, your overall point is a good one.

limallama
03-28-2005, 11:16 AM
it's all about what you grew up with, the very first game i ever bought was ff7. even if i was to play and complete the others, i would always hold ff7 closest

Dark Rydia
03-28-2005, 07:41 PM
FF7 is my favorite FF game, followed by FF4. What can I say? I just loved the game. If someone doesn't like the game, I really don't care. I'm not out to convert people to Final Fantasy.

RIP Dime
03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Ha ha Probably beacuse all the Graphics and Sports buffs think the graphics suck and and thing about "Letting them hit you" Takes away sports buffs intrest, at least thats what my Bro in law says, And cause people cant beat Ruby....heh

TheAbominatrix
03-28-2005, 11:48 PM
So... what about all the people who had been playing FF games before this? Who played FFI with those horrid graphics? I've worked VII top to bottom, beaten every Weapon and gotten every secret. And guess what? Still dont like it!

Kawaii Ryûkishi
03-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Final Fantasy VI was actually the first to introduce this concept. The first form of this concept were VI's Desperation Moves that characters would occasionally perform when they had been wounded and sent into critical HP levels.In FFVI, the desperation attacks occurred too randomly to be used to any strategic effect; they were just something to save your skin if you were about to die and got lucky. FFVII was the first game in which this kind of attack could actually be used strategically, and it's that aspect that the following games have continued.

Masamune·1600
03-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Come on, I used Desperation Attacks all the time! I'm pretty sure I had Locke use Mirager more than Steal. ;)

Squall of SeeD
03-29-2005, 12:54 AM
In FFVI, the desperation attacks occurred too randomly to be used to any strategic effect; they were just something to save your skin if you were about to die and got lucky. FFVII was the first game in which this kind of attack could actually be used strategically, and it's that aspect that the following games have continued.

Yes, but that wasn't the matter at hand. The matter was when the concept was introduced, and that was in Final Fantasy VI. One could turn what was previously said into saying "Final Fantasy VI introduced the concept of Desperation Moves/Limit Breaks/Trance/Overdrives, and each game since has kept the concept, refining it and tinkering with it each time, it since becoming more practical for use from a strategic standpoint."

Sword
03-29-2005, 11:39 AM
Why the f**k does everyone hate FF7? Its totally the best. But seriously it should at least be high in your list of best FFs. COME ON PEOPLE!!!

TheAbominatrix
03-29-2005, 12:56 PM
Why the f**k does everyone hate FF7? Its totally the best. But seriously it should at least be high in your list of best FFs. COME ON PEOPLE!!!

Here's a perfect example of one of the reasons I dont like this game. The annoying fans who cant see beyond the ends of their own noses.

DaggerFlux
03-29-2005, 02:42 PM
these are the final fantasies in order of me completing them

1.FF8
2.FF9
3.FF10-2
4.FF10
5.Should be beating 6 any day now.

i am starting to get into the older FF's now, and i find 6 to be impressive, 6 is already by far my favourate final fantasy already(i havent even beaten it yet), and i can say that without bias, because i have played newer ones first.

I have not beat 7, i have tried on various occasions to play it, but i just always lose interest in it, i dont hate it, it just didnt grab my attention liek the other FF's did, thats just my opinion though. I dont hate FF7, but i dont see whats so great about it either

J.C.M.F.
03-31-2005, 07:56 PM
Yes. FFXIII, awesome game. It's just waiting to 2007 may kill you.
Nah, I actually meant FFVIII, but I'm sure you figured that.

The desperation moves in FFVI really did happen to much at random for me to ever consider them a "limit break". There were even occasions where these actions weren't out of desperation. For instance, Shadow's interceptor attacks and the second attack with Edgar's chainsaw (instant kill with the hockey mask!). I'll actually agree to that it could be the first steps toward the limit break system, but it struck me more as a form of critical hit, based more on luck instead of being structured around strategy. It is similar to FFVIII's special system, considering when they got weak, you could choose a limit break, but to deliberately make your characters weak was a portion of strategy (Like the fight with Diablo) and the spell Aura pretty much turned it into a special, strategical, attack.

Truthfully, Tellah's death is really less than noble, it was for revenge. Maybe I should have used noble for the twins sacrifice.

I read the thread, and in my opinion, I don't think Necron was really mentioned. It would make it seem more like he was watching the whole experience and Garland's and Kujah's opinions helped him to come to terms with his decision. Necron could be loosely paired to as that world's version of God. However, the game did little to nothing to mention an all being known as Necron. Overall Necron "can" fit into the story, but his inclusion was not even necessary, and if he were to be removed, it wouldn't make the story of the game any different. Only thing I liked about Necron is he was pretty much the only boss to provide a decent challenge in that game.

Technically Tidus is a dream of the Fayth, but his character still followed the same rules as an Unsent, much like Auron. For instance, to travel in the past to meet Tidus, Auron had to be an unsent to travel on Sin. This being the same concept for Tidus traveling 1000 years to the future on Sin. Also, in the end, he disapated like the unsents do when they are, well, sent. Although, this does bring the idea of the unsents being Dreams of the Fayth, considering the Fayth seemed to follow similar rules of the unsents. This is why I like FFX, it's theological questions.

Squall of SeeD
03-31-2005, 08:26 PM
Technically Tidus is a dream of the Fayth, but his character still followed the same rules as an Unsent, much like Auron.

But he still isn't an Unsent, despite whatever similarities there may have been. For that matter, the largest similarity -- that being having died and remained bound to the world -- wasn't in play. Also, he couldn't have been Sent by a Summoner until after death. He wasn't any less alive than anyone else. He was just bound to life in a different manner (the Fayth's dreaming).

For instance, to travel in the past to meet Tidus, Auron had to be an unsent to travel on Sin. This being the same concept for Tidus traveling 1000 years to the future on Sin.

Your point in regard to similarities stands in this regard, but I just want to clarify that it wasn't a case of traveling through time. Rather, it was a case of traveling through dimensions. Dream Zanarkand and Spira both followed the same flow of time. Dream Zanarkand was a recreation of Zanarkand as the Fayth had known it. Through their dreams, their memories were made manifest by Yu Yevon, who channeled them into Dream Zanarkand, which I can only conclude was in some pocket dimension all to itself, as it wasn't implied that a recreation of all of Spira itself was the case.

We know that Dream Zanarkand and Spira followed the same flow of time because it had been 10 years since Jecht disappeared from Dream Zanarkand and 10 years since he arrived in Spira. Further still, Auron traveled to Dream Zanarkand on various occasions after dying and visited Tidus occasionally as he grew from a child into a young adult.

Although, this does bring the idea of the unsents being Dreams of the Fayth, considering the Fayth seemed to follow similar rules of the unsents.

That's not a possibility at all, however. We're told that the Unsent are those who remain bound to the world by a powerful emotion, with it never being contested:

Yuna
"I don't understand how a man like Lord Jyscal could die and not be sent."

Lulu
"I would think that he was sent once..."
"but he stayed on Spira."
"Something, a powerful emotion could have bound him to this world. Such things happen."

In Jyscal's case, it was the desire for his son to be stopped. In Auron's case, it was the desire to fulfill his promises to Jecht and Braska. In Seymour's case, it was the desire to fulfill the liberation of Spira from sorrow.

(Final Fantasy X-2 Spoilers.)
For that matter, Shuyin died before the war between Bevelle and Zanarkand ended, yet he had been Unsent from the time of his death until the present day of Final Fantasy X-2. Also, the fact that Unsent remained in the world even after the Fayth on Mt. Gagazet stopped dreaming would be the greatest point toward the Fayth having nothing to do with the Unsent.

Anyway, I also enjoy X for the thought-provoking aspects. It's an excellent game in that regard, as are most of the works in the series, I would say.

Mercen-X
04-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Final Fantasy VII is the greatest FF ever. That being said, it could've been so much more. George Lucas isn't afraid to go back to his old work and revamp it much to disappointment of his not-so-loyal fans.

§håd0w
04-06-2005, 12:32 AM
If we the fans of FF7 are true enthusiasts we will rally together and demand that Sqenix pump out a brand-spanking new upgraded and revised addition of FF7: The Promised Land.

No... we would demand that they leave it the way it is. Only ungrateful, selfish Neo-Gamers would ever demand such a thing. A true FFVII enthusiast would want it to stay the same; for if Square altered the game in any way, it wouldn't be the same FFVII that we have come to know and love. Get over it, it's never gonna happen.

Even still, there are already 3 other FFVII games/movies in the making. Asking for more would only make one more selfish.

squareSOFT
04-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Final Fantasy VII is the greatest FF ever. That being said, it could've been so much more. George Lucas isn't afraid to go back to his old work and revamp it much to disappointment of his not-so-loyal fans. If we the fans of FF7 are true enthusiasts we will rally together and demand that Sqenix pump out a brand-spanking new upgraded and revised addition of FF7: The Promised Land.
I'm not talking a crappy remake that's just the same game with some added junk in the trunk. I'm talking a whole new game with a cloned story.

Pardon my bluntness but that is sheer idiocy

EDIT: There are better ways to say it. Try a little bit harder next time. -Murder

§håd0w
04-06-2005, 01:27 AM
My thoughts exactly, I'm just too considerate to say it.

Lenna
04-06-2005, 02:06 AM
I personally find that about 50% if the people who say it's rubbish, haven't actually played it. 3 of my friends dislike the FF series.... until they played it. Surprising isn't it? Many people will dislike it as they go for the "judge a book by it's cover" saying. People don't tend to look within the game or try it out. Many people only play the game either 1: because they've played other Final Fantasies and believed it may be worth a shot at playing. 2: Because they've seen someone else play it and take someones word that it's good regardless or 3: Because they're really bored and looking for a new type of genre/type of game to play. As for the people who do play it and dislike it.

When you've played the game first, it's quite easy to get to grips with the game/storyline as it's like a rollercoaster of emotions. But it really depends on your tastes in the different aspects of the game. For example:

Storyline : Final Fantasy's storylines can hardly be downgraded as they do come up with remarkable ones, but sometimes, the story has hidden pieces and doesnt necessarily tie them all up. It depends on how you look at final fantasy 7's storyline but I find that the storyline is quite remarkable and gripping. As was FF9's.

Graphic Quality : Today is a new day and new technology is being made every second of the day. When you play a game like final fantasy 7 for the first time in this day and age, it doesn't impress you as the graphics are by far poor compared to all the new ff's. Therefore people dislike it because of the quality.

Characters : When you're sat playing a computer game you want to engage a connection with the characters. FF7 does this but still has it's limitations depending on the people who play it. If there's not a character like you, you lose interest, this is the same with the rest of the FF's. As for the enemy characters. You HAVE to have a good enemy to want to defeat. If the enemy doesn't show much evil or power, you think that it's not really worth it. "Too easy". I find that some of the enemies in FF were easy. Other than the Hidden bosses and the End bosses, well again it depends on how you look at it.

Music : The music in the game is highly important in these type of games. I mean, if you played ff7 with no music.. would you want to play it at all? or would you get tired of the silence and emotionless atmosphere? I thought that FF7's music was of good quality and fit in really well with the atmosphere where they were played. But, I have to admit, the other final fantasie's do have some emotional themes which grip the audience alot more than ff7 could.

Battle Sequences : When you're in a battle, you want to feel comfortable with the way you do things, and with the different types of battle combat in all the final fantasies, if you find one that suits you, you tend to adapt to the game and find it alot more interesting, BECAUSE YOU CAN DO IT! lol, anyway. Final fantasy's battle scheme is really good in my opinion as you can choose any character to have certain types of magic rather than one specific character assigned to a job. But some people prefer the job scheme.

Aquiring Skills : Last but not least, as said before, the skills part is quite important too. If you like the job's scheme then you will find that ff7 isn't really going to motivate you as much if you don't like the other area's of it. You fight in battle, you buy materia, you find materia, and you buy/find weapons. Where as in ff8 you had to fight your summons to get them (quite a challenge and really good idea), And in order to learn a certain skill, you had to "absorb" them from enemies or from magic points. These give you a limited amount of usage which imo is rather difficult to manage when you're low on it. As for ff9, you bought a weapon/accessory and with it you had a skill assigned. If you leave the weapon/accessory on long enough while leveling up, you gain that skill and can be used. Unfortunately, that brings difficulty, as you are limited to which skills you use due to the amount of stones you have. The more you level up the more stones you have. Still you can't have them all :(.

To A Conclusion. You can't really judge people on whether they like or dislike FF7 as it really depends on peoples tastes and expectations of the games. If they dislike one aspect they tend to find flaws in the game and dislike it even more. If people dislike a certain FF then that is only because their tastes are far different to anyone else who loves the game.

I am a big fan of FF7 but I'm torn between all the different aspects of each final fantasy game. Where one game lacks, another game gain's. This is due to the technology and the creative minds which are placed on the square team. Difference will always be there. Without it. Where would we be? In a dull world :(. Then there would be no marvelous games such as FF!!! because everyone would be the same, everything would be the same. So be thankful! :P

<3<3<3 Reno mmmmm

squareSOFT
04-06-2005, 02:11 AM
Hey well put but I just cant accept all the idiots who want MORE ff 7 spinoff's or sequels or whatever the /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif some people talk about

Lenna
04-06-2005, 02:16 AM
I think that FF7:AC is going to be a great film and it's a great idea, but more than one sequel well, Is it not possible that FF7's image could be completely ruined by bringing out more FF7 stuff? I mean, yes the film I really want to see, but if they screw up like they did with FF:TSW well yeah you can probably guess where I'm coming from. Don't want my precious FF7's image damaged lol :D

squareSOFT
04-06-2005, 02:22 AM
I think that FF7:AC is going to be a great film and it's a great idea, but more than one sequel well, Is it not possible that FF7's image could be completely ruined by bringing out more FF7 stuff? I mean, yes the film I really want to see, but if they screw up like they did with FF:TSW well yeah you can probably guess where I'm coming from. Don't want my precious FF7's image damaged lol :D

Well, FF7 isn't really all that precious to me but I agree. Not only could ff7's image be tarnished but all ff's in general. Just stick with the traditional way of working your way up numerically. I dont like the idea of Crisis Core or D.O.C.

Lenna
04-06-2005, 02:32 AM
FF7 was the first final fantasy game I played. I mean I bought it, first 10 mins I turned it off, couldn't beat the scorpion guard so gave up n left it. About 3 weeks later came home from school and I was bored out of my mind. So decided to pick it up and have a go. I never put the controller down when I got past that boss. I was literally gripped by the game itself. But as that was the first game I played it's stayed my favourite. The game that "Introduced" me to the marvelous world of Final Fantasy. :D

Drift
04-06-2005, 12:16 PM
every1 has their 1st love of ff and probs for mst ppl its ff7 touches the heart so much...mebbe they'll release an updated version of ff7 on the ps3 jst beta graphics :D

Lenna
04-06-2005, 02:14 PM
every1 has their 1st love of ff and probs for mst ppl its ff7 touches the heart so much...mebbe they'll release an updated version of ff7 on the ps3 jst beta graphics :D

^ Proves my point about the Graphics part :P and the Storyline lol.

Drift
04-06-2005, 03:09 PM
graphics are always nice 2 look at its like the girl (or guy) dat u like u jst wanna see em 24-7

Lenna
04-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Yeah but I don't like staring at the characters ass's or revealing features lolol. I take the characters for who they are and how they are. Not by how they look :D

Drift
04-06-2005, 05:58 PM
imagine ff7 as a person NOT remade = ugly bt caring and a nice personality,
now imagine ff7 remade = nice 2 look at AND caring and a nice personality...bt life aint that nice 2 us so i'll settle for the storyline which aint been beat so far

Lenna
04-06-2005, 06:01 PM
lol you'll beat it soon don't worry. If I remember correctly it took me about 2-3 months to complete FF7 first time.

Drift
04-06-2005, 06:03 PM
i meant the storyline of the game nt me finishing it.....

Lenna
04-06-2005, 06:36 PM
ah lol sorry misunderstood you.

Mercen-X
04-06-2005, 08:29 PM
No... we would demand that they leave it the way it is. Only ungrateful, selfish Neo-Gamers would ever demand such a thing. A true FFVII enthusiast would want it to stay the same; for if Square altered the game in any way, it wouldn't be the same FFVII that we have come to know and love. Get over it, it's never gonna happen.

You're right, Shadow. I guess I'm not a true enthusiast, I'm just a wannabe. [in tears]
But by the end of the decade, I swear I will make that revised ver. and then I'm gonna shove down your throat and make you like it! 'Cause I'm Mercen-X!!!!

Don't hate me! I'm just a scared, confused 20-yr-old kid who still lives with his parents. I only pick at the negative parts of things so I see how it can be better because I don't know how to better myself. Every time I try, I seem to fail. I sometimes feel like FF is all I have and it's like a kid to me. Despite its already being fully grown and developed I still want it to be better. That's how it is being a parent. Trust me, my mom and dad grind me about that everyday.

edit by eest: please update your post rather than double posting :D

Suggestion noted!

squareSOFT
04-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Me

Shadow

You're right, Shadow. I guess I'm not a true enthusiast, I'm just a wannabe. [in tears]
But by the end of the decade, I swear I will make that revised ver. and then I'm gonna shove down your throat and make you like it! 'Cause I'm Mercen-X!!!!

Don't hate me! I'm just a scared, confused 20-yr-old kid who still lives with his parents. I only pick at the negative parts of things so I see how it can be better because I don't know how to better myself. Every time I try, I seem to fail. I sometimes feel like FF is all I have and it's like a kid to me. Despite its already being fully grown and developed I still want it to be better. That's how it is being a parent. Trust me, my mom and dad grind me about that everyday.

edit by eest: please update your post rather than double posting :D

My, you have me in tears. Not saying you but I wish that all ff7 fans would give up that idea of a revised edition. You dont all the ff9,8,6, fans crying for massive overhauls of THOSE games do you?

Mercen-X
04-07-2005, 09:26 PM
My, you have me in tears.
thx :love:
I appreciate Final Fantasy VII because it really got me through a hard time. As it is that I am so dreadfully IMperfect just like the rest of the world, I feel like something that is this easy to upgrade should be. I guess instead of focusing my energy on trying to better a damn game, I should look what I can do about reality.

Drift
04-07-2005, 09:30 PM
My, you have me in tears. Not saying you but I wish that all ff7 fans would give up that idea of a revised edition. You dont all the ff9,8,6, fans crying for massive overhauls of THOSE games do you?

yeah people dont want overhaul of those games cause they were released quite recently (in comparison to ff7) and the graphics were at the end of the ps1 so they will be top notch at the time

XxSephirothxX
04-07-2005, 09:37 PM
Everyone has a difference in opinion. Some people can't appreciate some of the things that happen in VII, some can't overlook its graphics, and others love it for all the good things it has. Personally, it's not my favorite game in the series, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, the only one I'd profess to actually hate is VIII. I'd rather play virtually any other game before it. I think some people are insane to be able to overlook the absolutely MASSIVE flaws in the story and character of VIII, but, then, maybe some people hate VII for exactly the same reason. Cloud's all fine and dandy as a hero, but is definitely lacking in personality. I think the majority of people who dislike VII are the ones who want super-duper graphics and voice acting and the like, but, of course, there are those who just don't connect with it, and that's fine. If everyone was the same, there'd really be no point in talking about it.

Mercen-X
04-07-2005, 10:36 PM
Kinda like, "I like to hear myself talk." Only, I hate my voice. lol

My only prob w/FF8 was the PS pocket thing, that was both lame and unfair. I also didn't like boosting GF's. Squall and Seifer and their ongoing rivalry was probably the game's only saving grace for me.

As for FF7's graphics . . . definitely. I'm the kinda kid who despises the atari and nintendo even though I grew up on them. I'm the kinda kid who likes something when it's new, but hates it the second something better comes along. I'm a gutter-snob. (that's an oxymoron) lol lol lol

Drift
04-07-2005, 10:40 PM
Everyone has a difference in opinion. Some people can't appreciate some of the things that happen in VII, some can't overlook its graphics, and others love it for all the good things it has. Personally, it's not my favorite game in the series, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact, the only one I'd profess to actually hate is VIII. I'd rather play virtually any other game before it. I think some people are insane to be able to overlook the absolutely MASSIVE flaws in the story and character of VIII, but, then, maybe some people hate VII for exactly the same reason. Cloud's all fine and dandy as a hero, but is definitely lacking in personality. I think the majority of people who dislike VII are the ones who want super-duper graphics and voice acting and the like, but, of course, there are those who just don't connect with it, and that's fine. If everyone was the same, there'd really be no point in talking about it.

i agree with you there but im one of those people that take things as they are (usually) bt i reckon voice acting isnt all that good makes it tedious when your replaying and you already know what they gona say...ooo im gona dread who they pick for cloud in ff:ac

Mercen-X
04-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Seriously though, I didn't actually say what I meant to say.
Fans of Star Wars complain everytime a revision is made to the classics. It's only because they don't want to rush out and pay for it. Despite how much people love something, it will never be theirs unless they created it and they haven't any right to judge the progenitor for his alterations.
My intended statement was that we should never "kill the golden goose" as it were. If Square Enix is gonna keep pumping out game after game, sequel after prequel, movie after movie, remake after revision, then we should merely be thankful for the privilege to partake in such things. So many people are angry they can't play FF7I and KHFM and FFX-2+, I understand that because it isn't being released in the U.S.

I don't know how I came up with DEMAND. I must've only been half-awake.
. . . but how many of you out there who were once unbendable fans of the Atari and Graphx (or whatever) and NES can honestly say that you haven't picked up and enjoyed newer versions. How many of you can honestly blatantly deny that you've since left these tired systems to either collect dust or serve as mere memorabilia in some sort of insane trophy case.
If you loved the original Super Mario Brothers and they came out with a NEW UPDATED version of the EXACT same game on an ADVANCED system, could you say that it's no longer has the same qualities that you loved in the original? Honestly?

§håd0w
05-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Hm, you do have a point there. I too have bought the remakes of vintage games that were released on GBA or PSX, etc...

I'd be willing to make one concession though, if it were released on PSP, then I'd put thought into buying it. And in the process of porting it over, they just made a few minor adjustments making it harder, correcting some errors, etc... then I'd get it. That is the only way though, making it portable.

Shadow Bahamut
05-01-2005, 04:00 PM
If FFVII were to come out on the PSP, i sure would buy it. As to the main topic question, i'm not avtually sure why so many hate it, but i'm sure that there are far more who love it and think it is probably THE best RPG ever made.
I must agree, FFVII is a legend....

Live long Final Fantasy!!

§håd0w
05-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Personally I think there are more people who loved FFVI more than FFVII.

blackchocobo9999
05-01-2005, 07:07 PM

What on earth is going through your mind!!! That is a load of BULL!!!

FF7 had thousands more fans than 6, mainly coz the villain hasn't got a corny comic book laugh.

Seraf
05-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I've been playing the FF series since it began and FFVII is my favorite. Why? Because I love the story and the cast of unique characters and the music is by far some of the best I've heard by Nobuo.

§håd0w
05-03-2005, 01:49 AM
What on earth is going through your mind!!! That is a load of BULL!!!

Well, right now what I'm thinking is 'Have you even played FFVI? Because most people who say those exact words comparing VI and VII have only played VII and higher.' That is what is going through my mind.

eestlinc
05-03-2005, 04:33 AM
VI isn't that good. I think VII is probably a little more fun to play the VI, but I enjoyed both. Regardless, VII is the game that made Final Fantasy into a household name and brought in a whole new generation of gamers.

Shadow Bahamut
05-03-2005, 07:52 AM
well i have played FFIV upwards.
to be honest, from VII upwards are the best, apart from IX, which became to much of a cartoon..

i don't think so, look at Square's release statistics. FFVII made nearly $3.2 million, FFVIII made around $2.9million, i don't think FFVI made that much. I personally think that only fans would have FFVI and below.

TheAbominatrix
05-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Final Fantasy was quite popular in Japan before VII. It's the rest of the world that caught on with VII. I bought the games long before VII, as well.

Shadow Bahamut
05-03-2005, 07:58 AM
yeah, i guess.
i don't actually have the stats for FFVI, it could have made quite a lot, but i still don't think Japan alone would win against the World...

TheAbominatrix
05-03-2005, 10:21 AM
Comparitively, it didnt make that much. I owned IV and VI for the SNES (titled as II and III, of course), and I couldnt talk FF with anyone. No one knew what the hell I was talking about. Now, after VII, a lot more people did.

Every game has its followers, though, and that has nothing to do with sales statistics. For example, I bought VII, but it isnt my favorite, so the sales stat doesnt equal the favorites stat neccesary, but it can give one a pretty good idea.

Shadow Bahamut
05-03-2005, 11:53 AM
i agree it doesn't give much about any favourites, but yeah, it does give an idea, because, if everyone said it was bad, or a least favourite game, then sales stats would decrease, or may not even rise.
so, it must have been quite a popular game, if not a favourite.... :confused:

Seraf
05-03-2005, 12:28 PM
The FFVII fanbase is just as big if not bigger than the FFVI(III) fanbase. I already stated earlier that I personally like FFVII more even though I've played the entire series since the beginning.

Shadow Bahamut
05-03-2005, 12:33 PM
what else can i say?? it's obvious that both games are just as favourable than each other....

§håd0w
05-03-2005, 11:35 PM
It's just that many people who play Final Fantasy now had never even heard of the series before VI came out. That's personally one of the reasons why I like VI more; it didn't send Final Fantasy mainstream. And because VII did so well, it seems as if Square is pushing to release another one every year now, and well... it is starting to show that they're pushing. Just about every one after VII has started to lack in different ways.

Masamune·1600
05-04-2005, 12:19 AM
it is starting to show that they're pushing. Just about every one after VII has started to lack in different ways.

That's a matter of opinion, and nothing else. I personally prefer every numerical post-VII FF plus Tactics to every pre-VI FF (FFVII, for the record, is my favorite, and FFVI is my second favorite). Why, by the way, should it bother you if it sent the series mainstream?

Shadow Bahamut
05-04-2005, 09:28 AM
i was wondering that too...
it shouldn't make a difference in game play. The fact that Enix took a partnership made the difference in games. Personally, i don't think they're doing a good job, but, everybody to their own....

TheAbominatrix
05-04-2005, 09:56 AM
The Enix merger had nothing to do with the quality of the games. Enix people do not work on Square games, Square does not work on Enix games. And in fact, except for Before Crisis, none of the games have been released after the merge (except for X-2, which was released not long after the merger... after the game was pretty much done). It's not Enix's fault in the least. Enix has just become a scapegoat for fans who cant admit that Square isnt perfect.

§håd0w
05-04-2005, 09:57 PM
I'll just clearify what I meant to say earlier.

I didn't like how Final Fantasy went mainstream after VII. Once that was such a huge success, Square (not Enix) has put out a Final Fantasy game just about every year afterwards, and IMHO they have not kept up with the standards that VI and VII had set. So once again IMHO, it seems that once Square got that taste of glory with VII, they have benn pushing to release another Final Fantasy each year; and I personally think they aren't living up to their predecessors.

And for the record, that is IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, and I am referring to SQUARE and not ENIX.

That is all I have to say on the subject.

TheAbominatrix
05-04-2005, 11:42 PM
I'll just clearify what I meant to say earlier.

I didn't like how Final Fantasy went mainstream after VII. Once that was such a huge success, Square (not Enix) has put out a Final Fantasy game just about every year afterwards, and IMHO they have not kept up with the standards that VI and VII had set. So once again IMHO, it seems that once Square got that taste of glory with VII, they have benn pushing to release another Final Fantasy each year; and I personally think they aren't living up to their predecessors.

And for the record, that is IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, and I am referring to SQUARE and not ENIX.

That is all I have to say on the subject.

I wasnt refering to what you said, I was replying to the post above mine.

To note, however, Square's release schedule for FF hasnt changed.

§håd0w
05-05-2005, 01:20 AM
Meh, I only read your post and the one that had a quote from me in it.

What STANDARDS are you talking about? What is it you prefer to see?

Does it really matter? I do believe I stated a good 4 times in that post it is what I think. Please note that I made 'I' bold and large, because that is the point I am trying to get across. I don't think the games after VII lived up to the predecessors; I didn't think they were quite as good. That was what I think. Not some cliché opinion, but rather my personal opinion. I see no reason as to why there should be something wrong with me voicing it. If you want specific details as to what I held against the other games, I will tell you. But really all I want to see is a challenging game with a decent plot and gameplay.

Vratar
05-05-2005, 05:32 PM
I haven't read all seven pages of this thread, so I hope I'm not repeating anything here, but this is a really interesteg topic...

When wer're talking about FF-VII, it seems as though there are two groups of people; those that had played the FF series before, and those who started with VII. I am in the latter group, and really the only reason I got VII is because, *gasp* they made if for PC. I think that if you started with VII, you are going to love that one best because that is your frame of reference for all other Final Fantasy games.

Not having played the series bofore, this one got me hooked. I still consider it the best gaming experience I've ever had. The characters, music and story all just worked for me and kept me wanting to do every little thing there was to do. When I was done, I wanted more but had no way to play the older ones (I had no consoles...).

I have since been able to play FF-I, FF-VI some of FF-IX (in Japanese -- it just took forever to do that much reading!) and FF-X. I still like VII the best, though VI was also a great one.

For people who were with the series before VII came along, if you didn't know Japanese, you were only able to play 2 or 3 (?) of the first six, and of those, VI is the defining game. Where I compare all FF games to VII, you compare them all to VI. For you, VII doesn't compare to VI, and to me, VI doesn't compare to VII. Yes, those of us who started with VII may be latecomers, but we are every bit as genuine FF fans as those who started with FF-I. And really, does it really matter which game brought us to the series? Now that we're all here, we can all enjoy its greatness!

Here's an interesting question:
-To people who played FF6 first -- how many of you like FF7 better?
-To people who played FF7 first -- how many of you like FF6 better?

I think we'll find that people will like the first one they played the best.

Sorry for the long post!

Stilva
05-05-2005, 09:39 PM
In my opinion, Final Fantasy VII is the greatest FF and possibly game of all time. I have played FFs I-III and from VI-X2, and still regard it as the best. The combination of interesting yet diverse characters, an accessible yet sophistucated battle system and a breathtaking storyline led me to placing this game on a pedestal above all others.

Compared to other FFs, the characters recieved a large amount of development (especially put up against VIII) and this allowed the story to flow, while retaining elements of ambiguity and posing questions. And the story, while occaisonally predictable, managed to throw up more than its fair share of memorable moments.

And the thing that probably seals the fact that VII was a great game, despite its many doubters, is that it still manages to provoke more discussions than the other games, 8 years after its release.

That post turned out to be much longer than I intended...

Mercen-X
05-05-2005, 10:20 PM
I played through FFII on my cousin's SNES. I'd never seen anything like it before. I had completely forgotten about it and never even HEARD about any other FF's (didn't have a TV, didn't have a radio, didn't buy mags, wasn't at all sociable) until FF7 came along and I by pure chance picked up a zine called Tips & Tricks with FF7 Cloud on the cover.
I'd never read a gaming magazine before and I didn't even realize that's what I'd picked up. At the time, I was naive and believed that all magazines talked about the same stuff. Oy. Even when I finished FF7, even after I'd spent months playing it over and over again, I never even remembered FFII.
When FF8 came out is when I found about the whole series thing. I was so brainless, I didn't realize my game was called "Final Fantasy VII" for a reason. I was disappointed that I never had the chance to play all of the other games. Unlike most, I wasn't turned onto the FF series because I picked FF7, though I may have claimed that here somewhere before.
Actually, my parents and I were on food stamps for the longest time, moving from one cheap apartment complex to another that was cheaper. We were rats.
I now own Final Fantasy Origins (FF&FF2), Final Fantasy Chronicles (FF4&Chrono Trigger), and Final Fantasy Anthology (FF5&FF6). They added things like "run" for speedy travel, bestiaries, and I think they made the ATB a little faster.
In MY opinion, FF lacked a plot altogether. Of course, seeing as how it was the first, I can understand that. I can NOT sit through FF2, 5, or 6 longer than fifteen minutes without falling asleep at some point.
It's MY opinion that most people who prefer the old games would also prefer to play the old board RPG's like D&D.
FF7 was a HUGE departure from board-style RPG (with the exception of those SLOTS), the revamped ATB, the Limit Breaks, the hidden characters (actually, haven't played through enough of the old games to see if there were any there; like I said, I fall asleep), actually I would have preferred if Vincent (preferrably) or Yuffie would have had at least one FMV of their own - one you unlock by making them members of your party.

Squall of SeeD
05-05-2005, 10:58 PM
In response to Vratar's question, I started with Final Fantasy VII and it was the game that got me into the series (I hadn't even heard of Final Fantasy before that), yet Final Fantasy VIII is my favorite, with Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy VI in second and third place respectively.

To elaborate on that, VII isn't in my top three -- or even four -- favorite games in the series (Tactics is my fourth favorite), despite it being the first I played. While it's true for many folks that the first they played is their favorite and that the rest they will judge in reference to the first, I had the benefit of my older brother telling me that VII was vastly different from previous games in the series and that VIII was not likely to be a repeat of VII.

While I did judge VIII in reference to VII for the first half an hour or so, it quickly became apparent that VIII was altogether something different and something that had to be judged based on its own merits and in relation to my personal preferences of what I would enjoy, not in relation to anything else. I've since judged each Final Fantasy that I have played/watched accordingly.

By the way, Mercen-X, Final Fantasy VI had two hidden characters, as well. VII wasn't cracking any molds with that.

Holy_Aeris
05-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Hate FF7????
who would do such a thing!!!!

DMKA
05-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Did you mean to put this in the FFVIII forum?

FFVII is my favorite game of all time. It's just amazing. FFVI is good too, but I like FFVII better...maybe because it was my first? I'm not sure.

It's like TehAbominatrix initially said though: people don't hate FFVII so much as they get annoyed by all the rabid FFVII fanboys. I'm an FFVII fan, but even I get annoyed by that. FFVI is great, as well as FFX. I don't really think FFVI has a story that can compare, and though the characters are lovable, they don't have very much depth because there's just too many of them. Still a great game though.

FFVII is the most popular though because it was the first to be 3D, and it came out right when everyone in America started buying Playstations. American FFIII(FFVI) was pretty popular in the SNES days too though.

Mercen-X
05-05-2005, 11:49 PM
Did you mean to put this in the FFVIII forum?
Why would put it there?

DMKA
05-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Why would put it there?
Because FFVIII is the one I hear everyone complain about how horrible it is, and FFVII is the opposite.

But maybe I'm just looking in weird places?

Imarmatt
05-09-2005, 08:29 PM
In my opinion I believe that FFVII is the best in the series and the best game of all time. The storyline, gameplay, music and characters personalities just made it my favourite. It was also the only game up to now to I actually felt an emotion for (when Aeris died). No other game has ever done that. I've enjoyed every Final Fantasy i've played, which I admit isn't all of them but the majority, and I think that although every Final Fantasy is good, the only one that I have actually not wanted to put down was FF7. Maybe it was because it was the first game I bought for my PSX, and the first Final Fantasy 7, but in my opinion, nothing else has been able to match it

Sunny Rabbiera
05-17-2005, 04:26 AM
I think FF VII shown a lot of good promise and it was certainly a step in a brand new direction...
gone were the 2D "dancing" sprites, gone were the days of 2D gaming.
but what makes most older fans mad is of course its fanboys and fangirls, certianly I myself started with FF VII but I found that the other games were just as good or sometimes better [like FF VI]

I concider myself an all around FF fan, all of the games have thier good points and bad points, the only ones I didnt like were FF VIII and FF II but those are within reason.
but my biggest shout out is those who flame the older games for thier graphics, those arguements make me sad...

Kenyai
05-18-2005, 05:22 PM
I'll start out by saying I'm probably considered an FF7 fanboy by definition. It started six years ago; every time I visited my friend's house, he or his brother would be playing FF7. I soon learned just how long the game is. I had never encountered a game that required so many hours of play to complete, even though it took me 3 years to finish Super Mario World. (Hey, I was really young then...) Well, a lot of things got me immediately hooked on FF7. The futuristic theme, the music!!, the smooth gameplay, the hairstyles, Tifa, the Turks, the fact that it was my first RPG... It was my new favorite game of all time. And that was before I played it all the way through.

But I'm officially crazy. I started a project to maximize everyone's stats to 255 with their worst weapon equipped and no materia, get the maximum number of every item, plus all the standards like breeding a gold chocobo, etc. I had to start over at least four times for various reasons like missing the HP Shout, not preserving the final Battery, not receiving the Vagyrisk Claw from Fort Condor... In August I took a break from that to play all the other Final Fantasy games as well as other classics I had missed like Earthbound and Chrono Trigger. Well, I've beaten all Final Fantasy games except FFT, FF3, and FFX-2 since then. Probably because I started with it, FF7 is still my favorite.

Maybe there's a whole subcategory of fanboy that wastes thousands of hours of his time on insane Final Fantasy projects with no meaning. Well, this post was long and pointless too. The point is I like most of the FF games a lot, but only waste incredibly massive amounts of time on 7 because it's my favorite.

Is the debate everyone's talking about FF6 vs FF7 now when it used to be FF7 vs FF8?