PDA

View Full Version : FF8 PC error problem

udsuna
02-10-2005, 08:59 AM
Ok, it's been a while since I've toyed with FF8 (computer version). I've beaten it like a dozen times- which is nothing compared to FF7 Anyways, I've for some reason felt the need to resurrect this classic in my collection- because all the new games suck. I guess I'm about to provide a spoiler- but it's a very early spoiler.
But that's besides the point. The point is- I can't get past the Ballroom dance scene. The screen goes black after Selphie wanders off (right after she asks Squall to join the festival committee). And then a movie scene starts with Rinoa showing up- a scene I never get to watch because the screen blacks out. Or it fades to black like that scene does and never fades back in. I don't know if it runs the movies AFTER that point, I haven't bothered to d/l a save state created after that point- it's next on my things to do list

It isn't a computer lag/freeze problem- I can minimize the screen and do other things, the music continues, and alt+F4 still shuts the game off. My DirectX is up to date (what are we on now, 9?). I've got 7 gigs of spare hardrive and over twice all the suggested system reqs. Running windows Millenium (I know.... it's like using AOL as an ISP). No graphics cards. 800x600 display. And it doesn't matter which resolution I use, same results, same place. Tried re-installing, no change. So, any suggestions based on what I've provided? I've been unable to find through a search engine anyone else complaining of the same problem... but it did allow me to stumble across this lovely little site.

Samuraid
02-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Try enabling/disabling the trilinear (or bilinear) filtering option in the configuration menu. That might help the video playback.

Baloki
02-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Try enabling/disabling the trilinear (or bilinear) filtering option in the configuration menu. That might help the video playback.

Probably will as you have no video card, also check in the menu and see if your running on software rendering :)

crono_logical
02-10-2005, 07:10 PM
No graphics cards.Brilliant :monster:

udsuna
02-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Hey, my computer does JUST FINE without a seperate graphics card. I managed to play all the FF games on computer thus far with no problems, all the way through, at LEAST 3 times.... it's just this time around, it's not working. Besides, there are good games made, that I can't run, that aren't available to run on a PS2, so I'm happy with my antiquated piece of junk. Like my car from '83- not pretty, but I wouldn't trade her for a porsche. Except to sell it and make lots of cash ;)

crono_logical
02-11-2005, 06:50 PM
xD

A seperate graphics card and no graphics card are very different things. If you have no graphics card, you have no video output and your monitor would be blank, full stop. Chances are, your graphics card is probably integrated onto the motherboard. It's not seperate, but it's still a graphics controller which your monitor is plugging into, which will be listed as a graphics card by Windows, and is still commonly referred to as a graphics card.

Since it's jamming in an FMV, it could simply be a scratched CD, so I'd check that out first :D