PDA

View Full Version : About the FFVII:AC soundtrack...

Nova Briar
02-10-2005, 04:44 PM
Hi, everyone! This is my first post on these forums, so please be nice to me! :D

Anyway, I was thinking about the potential songs they might choose to use with Advent Children. I'm pretty sure that One Winged Angel will be included (I mean, it's been used in how many trailers now), as well as the main theme (for the same reason as OWA), and possibly Aeris/Aerith's theme...but I have no idea what other music they might choose to include in the soundtrack. For instance, will there be other songs from the original soundtrack of VII, or completely different music? Will the music be more in the genre of classical/orchestrated, or will it be closer to rock? I have no idea. :confused:

The point behind this post is, I'd love to know what you guys think might be on the soundtrack (or even what you would hate to see included). Any opinions, anyone?

Briar

Destai
02-10-2005, 05:13 PM
Im quite sure Nobua was involved in the making of the soundtrack but I have absaloutely no idea what the situation is now that hes left. Well whoever gave the interview on the music seemed interested in using many old tracks re orchestrated from the game as you've noticed with one winged angel. There was also the piano of the FFVII theme playing which Id certainly expect to make some appearance in the movie. Id love to hear anxious heart re done. That was a brilliant piece. All round I expect AC to be mainly tracks form VII re done while new tracks will be left to the other games (Dirge of Cerb, Crisis core, before crisis)

amratis
02-10-2005, 05:35 PM
I agree, the soundtrack will very probably be mostly themes from VII re-orchestrated. One-winged Angel sure sounds great I think you'll agree :) Very epic. Nobua's soundtrack for the game is so bankable I can't see them wanting to change anything. They're all gorgeous. I can't wait to hear Aeris's Theme in full orchestration, if we do hear it that is, we'd better ;)

EDIT - Welcome to the forum, hope you have fun here :D

Destai
02-10-2005, 05:46 PM
One Winged Angel was most certainly epic and I love the re orchestration(s?). I imagine flowers blooming in the church while Cloud talks to Aeris in the flower field but I think Aeris will have some role to play in the story. I think now that Sephiroths been seenI think the audience will be in a false sense of security thinking that thats all the suprises revealed. Maybe Aeris will somehow help similar to the games ending, in between there I guess you could manage to use Aerises theme. Nothing more than a THEORY. The way I see AC ending is with Clouds death (a siginificant characters death was confirmed) and that would also be a good time to play it. I'll cry so much if it does work out that way but it would be class storyline.

Nova Briar
02-10-2005, 06:01 PM
Oh, I hope Cloud doesn't die...I can see how it would work with the storyline and even be an appropriate ending, but he's one of my more fave FF characters. Oh well--no matter how it ends, I'm sure I'll end up buying it anyway. ;) I'm a sucker like that.

I agree, the re-orchestration of One Winged Angel was fantastic (listening to that very song right now). The thing that really had me wondering about the music in the movie was something Nobuo Uematsu said while he was being interviewed by AdventChildren.net (you can find the whole interview on their website). He said, "There are hopes that the music from AC will be more popular. The music is more rock based, different to the music from the games." I couldn't recall very much "rock based" music in VII...the only thing that came to mind, in fact, was Otherworld from X and similar things like that. Maybe they'll have the rock based music during the battle scenes, or something...? :confused: Ah, I don't know. Just speculating.

Oh...and thanks for the welcome. :D I appreciate it!

Briar

Destai
02-10-2005, 06:04 PM
*sweatdrop* Welcome to the forums! :D

Nova Briar
02-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Did you think I was prodding at you? :lol: I didn't mean it that way! Talking to a newbie is welcome enough, believe me. ;) Don't sweat it.

Briar

amratis
02-10-2005, 08:21 PM
One Winged Angel was most certainly epic and I love the re orchestration(s?). I imagine flowers blooming in the church while Cloud talks to Aeris in the flower field but I think Aeris will have some role to play in the story. I think now that Sephiroths been seenI think the audience will be in a false sense of security thinking that thats all the suprises revealed. Maybe Aeris will somehow help similar to the games ending, in between there I guess you could manage to use Aerises theme. Nothing more than a THEORY. The way I see AC ending is with Clouds death (a siginificant characters death was confirmed) and that would also be a good time to play it. I'll cry so much if it does work out that way but it would be class storyline.

If for no other reason, Square should work Aeris's theme in somewhere as it is's so gorgeous. :D

Mmm, I've heard about a character death being planned, I've said in other posts that I have a hunch Cloud will die at the end, I'd really he rather not but like you say Nova Briar, it would be fitting to the story-line. And a great opportunity to play Aeris Theme when Cloud and her meet up in, where-ever it is Aeris in now....wah! :cry:

I hope Aeris does contribute something to the victory aswell(heres hoping there is one ;) ). Just like she did in the game, I love Aeris, I don't think she should be revived in the film though. Well....*ponders* maybe, as long as they play her theme though.

EDIT - Nova Briar

Did you think I was prodding at you? I didn't mean it that way! Talking to a newbie is welcome enough, believe me. Don't sweat it

Lol, yes I guess its hard being a noob on some forums. We could pretend to be noob-phobic if you want I guess. *points and yells* Noob! Noob! :shoot: ;)

amra

Nova Briar
02-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Curiosity: Where did you guys hear that a major character would die? This is the first I've heard of it...fascinating stuff. Gives me more to think about while I'm pretending to take notes in my psyc 212 lecture! ;)

I will be very happy if a decent theme of Aeris' Theme is included--it's a beautiful, melancholy tune, and one of my favorites. (I've got about six variations of it on my computer... :D ) As for Aeris being revived in the film...well, I don't think that she'll get revived and then Cloud will die at the end, unless they both die together or something similar. (I mean, what would be the point, otherwise?) I wouldn't mind seeing Aeris come back, though, as long as it's not too cheesy...you know what I mean. Surely they can work it into the story without making it really fake or improbable.

(Hmm...You know, at one time I would've said "How can they bring Aeris back? She's dead!" But since that same could apply to Sephy, and he's back...well, I don't doubt anything anymore.)

We could pretend to be noob-phobic if you want I guess. *points and yells* Noob! Noob! :shoot: ;)

LOL! :lol: I...ah...I appreciate that you didn't do that... :D Seriously, though, that's not too far off from the way it is in some places. So glad to see that you guys don't slap a scarlet "N" on me... ;)

Briar

amratis
02-10-2005, 09:39 PM
I've heard there is a major character death from other people around here quite frankly. I think it probably comes from an interview with one of the Square head-honcho's. I think its fairly likely someone will die but honestly, we just wont know till it comes out.

LOL! I...ah...I appreciate that you didn't do that... Seriously, though, that's not too far off from the way it is in some places. So glad to see that you guys don't slap a scarlet "N" on me...

I know its like that some places, watch out for others round here I name no names.... :D ;) hope to post with you in the future. :D

Destai
02-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Did you think I was prodding at you? I didn't mean it that way! Ok I didnt think so(But just in case :x)
Square definitely said there would be a significant death. Im not sure who.

Nova Briar
02-11-2005, 01:55 AM
Truthfully, the only really "signifigant" person I can think of whose death would make sense would be Cloud's. There are a few other people who were prominent to some degree in the original storyline of VII who are in AC (such as Sephiroth, Tifa, Rufus, etc...)but their deaths wouldn't carry as much weight as Cloud's...especially since I have a hunch his angst over Aeris' death is going to be a point of contention in AC. *shrugs* Does that make sense? But who knows...Squeenix has pulled out enough surprises already; I don't think that the death of someone besides Cloud or one of the other above mentioned people would really shock me at all. It's not probable, but it's still possible. Geez, I wish the film would come out already so I wouldn't have to sit around making up theories... :D

Nova Briar

Cloud_Strider
02-11-2005, 03:03 AM
One thing is for sure, it isn't Vincent (eg: FF:DC) and I'm not going to make any theories.

Clouded Sky
02-11-2005, 03:19 AM
Black Mages "Those Who Fight Further" is pretty sweet. I would really love to see some rock put in. Balanced by orchestral music of course. "One Winged Angel" is gorgeous.

Cloud_Strider
02-11-2005, 03:45 AM
And of course, welcome to Eyes on Final Fantasy, Briar

Marvelous-Shiva
02-11-2005, 04:08 AM
I'm so exceited now that they've told the releasal date! I just hope they don't postpone it again. :mad:Its so cool that they're incorporating rock into it as apposed to their games. The only thing that would make all of this better would be to relase it in theatures but that's been declaired a no-no, or so it seems. Well I just hope that u ppl rn't right when u say that Cloud will be the character to die... my heart wouldn't be able to take it lol. What if its just the obvious guess though and Seph dies b/c if u remember he died a tthe end of ff7 (but then again he was dead to begin w/ and how can u kill the undead?).

Nova Briar
02-11-2005, 04:04 PM
I'm happy it's not Vincent who's slated to die! :love: And I was going to ask a question about Vincent here, but I think I'll put it in another thread. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if Sephy dies (again) because he's a "bad guy", and bad guys usually die at the end of most storylines...in fact, he's practically doomed to get killed off, if you really think about it. Point being, it wouldn't be such a shocker as if Cloud died...not that I want Cloud to die, or anything. :cry:

I guess they could kill Sephy if he's using another cloned body the way some people think...kill the body, kill Sephy, ya know? Though he does seem absurdly difficult to get rid of...makes me think of Seymour in FFX. (I can't even remember how many times I had to kill him off...)

Oh, and thanks for the welcome, Cloud Strider. :) Much appreciated!

Nova Briar

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Stay on-topic.

Nova Briar
02-11-2005, 06:38 PM
Stay on-topic.

*salutes* Sorry about that! Apologies... :riiight: No, seriously--am sorry about that. Won't happen again. :(

In other news--assuming everyone isn't all talked out regarding the AC soundtrack, which is possible, since not everyone's a musician, and not every musician's music-obsessed like me--I found this article (http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2004/1034.html) on the net today, apparently based off an interview with Uematsu last year.

It had quite a few interesting tidbits. For instance, it reports that Uematsu stated AC's soundtrack would include rock, classical and folk music (folk? :confused: ) and that he was actually not planning on using much music from VII. The three original tracks the article claimed he was considering using were One Winged Angel, Aeris' Theme and the Main Theme.

Of course, this article is a little over a year old now, so things could definitely have changed since then...*shrugs*

Nova Briar

amratis
02-11-2005, 06:42 PM
HA HA! So he *is* going to use Aeris's Theme, well as long as he uses that I dont what else he uses. :D

Nova Briar
02-11-2005, 07:04 PM
So you wouldn't care if it was a kinda yucky version, like (no offense intended) Pure Heart? O_O

Nova Briar

Destai
02-11-2005, 07:26 PM
I think I remember that interview, The whole movie business was kind've new to him and alot of the rest of the staff so they were open to alot of options. I still think Ac will be full of old tracks.

Nova Briar
02-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Well, like I said--the article was a year old. And I definitely wouldn't mind if they stuck with basically the VII soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, I like folk music (I'm a huge fan of Appalachian folk music) but I kind of wondered how on earth they'd fit folk music in with something like AC anyway.

Nova Briar

Sefie1999AD
02-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Many movies use music in the trailers that is never used in the movie itself. This happens for various reasons. For example, the composer might not be done with his work yet, or s/he doesn't want to spoil people about what kind of music there will be in the movie.

Nobuo Uematsu has used One-Winged Angel from FFVII Reunion and Final Fantasy VII Main Theme from FFVII Piano Collections so many times in the trailers that while it is possible for those themes to appear again during the Advent Children, that doesn't mean they'll be played there for sure.

Since Uematsu has left Square Enix for now, I think he's already finished composing FFVII AC's soundtrack. According to an interview, Tetsuya Nomura is inserting the music into the movie. If there will be new scenes that need new music to be composed there, Square Enix will probably ask some other composer to help Uematsu there. It could be Hitoshi Sakimoto (who's doing the music for FFXII) or someone else, though I'd hope for Yoko Shimomura myself. She can arrange Nobuo Uematsu's songs very well, and her arrangement of One-Winged Angel in Kingdom Hearts is superb.

I think I heard some audio clips from some screening festival event, but I can't remember much of it. IIRC, the music is quite different from FFVII. The melodies feel somewhat familiar, but I still can't really recognize them. The flashback scene between Cloud and Aeris had a soft theme that reminded me of Aeris' theme, but it still didn't have the same melody.

Rock and folk music, eh? :D It will be interesting to see how well that works out. I still hope Uematsu will put some epic, dramatic, emotional and FF-ish tunes into the movie too, and not just rock songs for action scenes.

Nova Briar
02-12-2005, 03:11 AM
Hmm...so that's who arranged One Winged Angel in KH? I hadn't been able to peg a name with the track until now. Thanks! ;) If the rest of her work (which I'm sure I've heard some of without realizing it) is as good as that, I'd be glad to have her on the AC sountrack team.

I think I heard some audio clips from some screening festival event, but I can't remember much of it. IIRC, the music is quite different from FFVII. The melodies feel somewhat familiar, but I still can't really recognize them.
I'll be a little disappointed if some of my faves aren't included in the final version of AC, but I still hold out high hopes for the AC soundtrack. Even it's mostly a disappointment for me (the way the FFX soundtrack was), I should still walk away with one or two songs I love (like "To Zanarkand", with the FFX example). And where did you manage to find audio clips from a screening, anyway? The most I've heard of the movie is what I can listen to in the trailers... :p

And I'm sure that there will be epic, emotional songs in there somewhere...if there weren't, the movie wouldn't make much sense. (*Pictures rock music while Cloud and Aeris talk to each other in the flower patch and falls over laughing*)
But anyway...um...yeah. :D

Nova Briar

Cloud_Strider
02-12-2005, 04:13 AM
The music will all be orchestrated, and HOPEFULLY, most of our favorite songs from 7 will be in it, such as music from Rocket Town, Midgar, etc...

And I'm picturing One Winged Angel being like an opening... Maybe with newly done scenes of flashbacks of the orig. game.. like when Aeris dies, Weapon, Meteor... stuff like that...

Sefie1999AD
02-12-2005, 01:55 PM
Hmm...so that's who arranged One Winged Angel in KH? I hadn't been able to peg a name with the track until now. Thanks! ;) If the rest of her work (which I'm sure I've heard some of without realizing it) is as good as that, I'd be glad to have her on the AC sountrack team.

Yoko Shimomura has composed music for several Squaresoft games, and I think the most known soundtracks she's composed are Super Mario RPG, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve I, Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. She has also rearranged some of Uematsu's songs, and they sound pretty good, suiting the game well and still keeping the song's original feel. These songs include the Prelude, Fight 2 (FF4's boss theme), Fanfare and One-Winged Angel. The first three were used in Super Mario RPG, and OWA was used in KH. She also made some pretty good arrangements of many Disney themes in KH, and the classical music piece "Night on Bald Mountain" in KH.

I'll be a little disappointed if some of my faves aren't included in the final version of AC, but I still hold out high hopes for the AC soundtrack. Even it's mostly a disappointment for me (the way the FFX soundtrack was), I should still walk away with one or two songs I love (like "To Zanarkand", with the FFX example). And where did you manage to find audio clips from a screening, anyway? The most I've heard of the movie is what I can listen to in the trailers... :p

The music was pretty good in those audio clips, even though I couldn't recognize the melodies. I don't know where I got those audio clips, and I don't have them anymore. I tried searching them online yesterday, but they were nowhere to be found.

And I'm sure that there will be epic, emotional songs in there somewhere...if there weren't, the movie wouldn't make much sense. (*Pictures rock music while Cloud and Aeris talk to each other in the flower patch and falls over laughing*)
But anyway...um...yeah. :D

Yasunori Mitsuda or Vangelis could use music like that, but not Nobuo Uematsu. :p His music has always worked well with FF games, so I'm sure he'll be able to compose something appropriate for the movie. I just hope he chooses orchestral style rather than synthesized rock style. Movies with a fully orchestral score just feel more "professional", not to mention epic (try imagining LotR movies with metal music :D).

What I'm slightly worried is that Uematsu composed music for what he thought would be about a 60-70 minutes long movie. However, if the movie really does become over 90 minutes long like Tetsuya Nomura predicted, that'd mean the movie needs additional 20 minutes of music composed.

Nova Briar
02-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Ooh! I really enjoyed the Legend of Mana and KH soundtracks. (Never played Parasite Eve...) Now that I have a better idea of who we're talking about, I agree with you--she'd be a great choice to polish up the AC soundtrack to high-quality stuff. The other composer you mentioned before--Hitoshi Sakimoto--was he one of the people who assisted on the soundtrack for FFX? (These Japanese names never stick in my mind... O.o)

No audio clips, eh? Oh well...I'm sure I can wait. ;)

LotR movies with metal music, eh? :lol: Seriously, though, I can see what you mean by synth rock music being inappropriate. I don't think that it'll be that way, though...surely someone on the AC team at Squeenix could see how much better orchestrated music would be. And if they can't, they're being paid waaaay too much. :rolleyes2 Maybe, if they have twenty extra minutes of music-less footage, someone like Shimomura can revamp some of the AC music (or even the original VII music) to fit in.

The music will all be orchestrated, and HOPEFULLY, most of our favorite songs from 7 will be in it, such as music from Rocket Town, Midgar, etc...
Well, if the group visits any places with their own distinctive music (ie Rocket Town), the VII music for that area would be very helpful to clue us in on what location we're looking at. But from what I've seen on the trailers, it's hard to tell if they even go that far from Midgar during AC. So I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Nova Briar

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Hitoshi Sakimoto has been a main composer for Treasure Hunter G, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Final Fantasy XII, and various games in the Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre series. He's great.

amratis
02-12-2005, 06:51 PM
So you wouldn't care if it was a kinda yucky version, like (no offense intended) Pure Heart? O_O

Nova Briar

No I'd mind if it was a yucky, corny version. But I trust that it won't be, I'm sure he's a better composer then that. :D Just for the record Nova I'm a musician too. Play 3 instruments :)

amra

Nova Briar
02-12-2005, 08:22 PM
I liked the music on Vagrant Story as well as FFT...not as well as the Legend of Mana music, but it was still pretty good. With that in mind, I think either could do a good job collaborating with Squeenix for the AC soundtrack. (As if Nomura's going to ask for my seal of approval... :lol: ) As long as the music suits the epic setting of the story (and I'm assuming the story will have an epic setting), and doesn't come off as a complete and total cheeseball of an album, I think it'll all be okay. I'm not as picky as I might seem... ;)

No I'd mind if it was a yucky, corny version. But I trust that it won't be, I'm sure he's a better composer then that. :D Just for the record Nova I'm a musician too. Play 3 instruments :)
Just checking! :) And you're most likely right--Uematsu has to be a good composer, after all, to have been put in charge of all the games whose music he produced. Oh, you're a musician? :D Which instruments do you play?

Nova Briar

amratis
02-12-2005, 08:52 PM
Piano, Harp and I sing, yes I count my voice an instrument as I've done the grades in it. I did actually want to be an opera singer, even auditioned at all the major conservatoires, but seeing as they let 8 ppl in out of about 1000 applicants I didnt get in, doh :D Which do you play? :)

amra

Nova Briar
02-12-2005, 09:13 PM
Wow...that's impressive. ^.^ I'm mostly a mallet percussionist...I mainly play the xylophone/glockenspiel (aka "bells", as the other members in my high school band called them), but during concert season I also did a lot of miscellaneous percussion including tamborine, woodblock, timpani, bass and snare drums, etc. It sounds like a lot, but those aren't nearly as complex as the piano or harp in my opinion.

Interesting that those are the instruments you play. I play a tiny bit of piano, too, but not nearly enough to be considered any good at it. And I suppose you could say I sing--I was in All-County Choir at one time and could have been in All-State if I'd wanted to be--but I don't like my voice as much as most other people's. As for harp music... :lol: I wish I could even figure out how to play a harp. ;) I'm sure you're better at all three than I am.

That's one reason why I wanted to know about the AC soundtrack so much--I like to learn the percussion parts to songs, or sometimes add them in if the song has no percussion. That's one reason why I was kind of hyped as well as apprehensive about the possibility of rock music in AC. I mean, it would be easy and fun to learn the percussion to a rock song, but...if it didn't fit with the film, I'd rather not have it. You know what I mean? :) But here I go, rambling again... *zips mouth shut*

Nova Briar

amratis
02-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Nah, ramble away. ;) Are you in a band or anything? I mean, if there are any rock piece's in AC you could definetly do them, that would be great! I've played piano since I was 4, its just an extension of myself really, I couldnt live without a piano, and I *HATE* not having one here at Uni :cry:

I hope there is rock piece's in AC, the soundtrack should be good and varied, I just really want them to include the main theme, aeris's and one-winged angel. They'd be mad not too :D

amra

Nova Briar
02-14-2005, 08:02 PM
No, I'm not in a band...not since I was in marching band in high school, anyway. I helped out some with their pieces they played from the sidelines, though. That was fun. ^.^ Hmm...why don't you get a small keyboard? It wouldn't be the same as a real piano, but it's better than nothing...

They definitely would be mad to not include those three major songs (which pretty much defined the VII soundtrack, in my opinion). On the other hand, I think they'd be mad to kill off Cloud in AC, too...but my opinion hasn't had any major influences on Squeenix yet. ;) I wouldn't mind seeing some versions slightly different from the ones I have now...just for variety, or something. Rearranged, or something. Just in a way that will still do them justice. :)

Cloud_Strider
02-18-2005, 04:40 AM
Ok, Nova Briar, stay on topic, :rolleyes2 .
This is also soundtrack, not *who's going to die* thread... But overall, meh, I don't care. Uhm, the soundtrack I guess is going to be amazing. From Vincent's theme to Cosmo Canyon will all be orchestrated. Well that is what my really unreliable source told me.

Nova, you astound me. You write like seven pages of stuff all over this forum a day... You're a fanatic :p

Back to the music...
The music is good.

Sword
02-25-2005, 08:00 PM
There is a vocals version of the FFVII prelude and I downloaded it a couple of weeks ago. It's pretty sweet. :D