PDA

View Full Version : Metallica

lord shishio
02-11-2005, 12:39 AM
Previously started "Another Brick In The Wall", now for my darker (slightly) side. Not only is Metallica as classic as Pink Floyd, but they don't have a bad song.
Except there new stuff, I'll admit that that stuff sucks.

jrgen
02-11-2005, 02:53 PM
If by new stuff, you mean everything after AJFA, then I agree with you.

Dr.K
02-11-2005, 03:10 PM
I despise St. Anger, didnt like ReLoad TOO much, thought Load was alright, liked the black album, lived for anything before the black album.
And so it is written, and so it was done :)

edczxcvbnm
02-11-2005, 03:32 PM
they don't have a bad song.
Except there new stuff, I'll admit that that stuff sucks.

Then they would have a bad song.....

fire_of_avalon
02-11-2005, 05:39 PM
My favorite album is Garage Inc. :D

But awesome awesome band, I was basically raised on them and I love them like musical badass parents.

Strider
02-11-2005, 05:54 PM
I approve of this thread. Best band in the free world.

radyk05
02-11-2005, 11:27 PM
AFTER megadeth, ofcourse.

Leeza
02-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Black Album is excellent and the only songs that I really don't like are the ones from St. Anger.

Pure Strife
02-11-2005, 11:34 PM
AFTER megadeth, ofcourse.

<3 Mustaine, saw Megadeth just this Monday gone, and damn they were good.

I do like a bit of Metallica now and then. When I first learnt to play the Sandman solo it was like a life-changing event. Or something. But yeah, I like pretty much everything I've heard by Metallica, amazing band.

UltimaLimit
02-12-2005, 12:01 AM
Metallica is one of those bands where, even if the songs aren't good, you still won't regret having listened. Even if the song doesn't stand out in your memory, you enjoy having heard it--it's average quality if not better. Excellant background music if I'm working on something, and a good band overall.

Probably my favorite Metallica song would be I Disappear (or Enter Sandman). The only outright bad Metallica song I've ever heard was St. Anger. (But hey, every band produces a dud now and then.)

radyk05
02-12-2005, 06:52 PM
if the songs aren't good, you still won't regret having listened.
ha! are you mistaken. i belive st. anger is the worst song ever created in music history and i regret hering it since the first time i heard it (i've heard it twice, mind you). metallica is a band that lost it's edge. you can change the music, the style, the lyrics, the hair, hell, even the band mates and still get to the fans. megadeth did all those. their new album kicks mayor ass and the olny original member is mustaine (and the other guitar player who's name i don't recall. he was out of the band but he got back for the new album). metallica is just a shadow of what it used to be.

lord shishio
02-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Master Of Puppets, and Enter Sandman are my favorites, followed by Fade to Black...

The Man
02-14-2005, 10:18 PM
'80s Metallica = GODLY
'90s Metallica = pretty good
'00s Metallica = ABSOLUTE CRAP (thus far)

I think that sums it up rather succinctly. However, I think Megadeth has surpassed Metallica as my favourite thrash band.

jrgen
02-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Metallica is my favourite 80s band, second only to Laibach.

boris no no
02-15-2005, 08:15 PM
i saw this german band that were the support act for rammstein that were playing metallica songs on.......cellos!
it was pretty cool!

Pure Strife
02-15-2005, 08:37 PM
megadeth did all those. their new album kicks mayor ass and the olny original member is mustaine (and the other guitar player who's name i don't recall. he was out of the band but he got back for the new album). metallica is just a shadow of what it used to be.

Chris Poland only came in to record, Mustaine wrote it all, and Poland decided not to tour it.

I quite like a fair bit of 90's Metallica. I wouldn't say it's fantastic, but they did come up with quite a few songs (and riffs in particular) I liked. And at least it had solos.

jrgen
02-15-2005, 09:05 PM
i saw this german band that were the support act for rammstein that were playing metallica songs on.......cellos!
it was pretty cool!
The name is Apocalyptica and they're finnish.

Crazy the Clown
02-16-2005, 01:29 AM
I used to respect them when they were about stickin' it to the man. Now, the only people they're stickin' it to are Napster and all the people who use it. Thus, I've lost all respect for them. Too bad I don't know how to do audio, I could do a good impression of that bitch, Lars Ulrich.

"You can pay $20 for one of our CDs, and it's ok. You can buy a $40 promotional shirt for one of our tours, and it's ok. But if you think you can listen to our music for free, then you're wrong! We're suing Napster and we're suing the people using it!"

Sounds like someone needs a nap.

Moose Knight
02-23-2005, 01:54 AM
I think that sums it up rather succinctly. However, I think Megadeth has surpassed Metallica as my favourite thrash band.

C'mon sir...

Dark Angel
Testament
Anthrax
Anacrusis
Watchtower
Coroner

There's way more to 80's thrash/speed than Metallica and Megadeth.

Anyway, Master of Puppets is awesome. Dream Theater did a pretty good job covering it too.

TheAbominatrix
02-23-2005, 02:07 AM
'80s Metallica = GODLY
'90s Metallica = pretty good
'00s Metallica = ABSOLUTE CRAP (thus far)

Well said. Well, I wouldnt say they were ever godly, but yeah they were certainly awesome. And now they certainly blewn. I like a lot of their stuff, particularily their covers of Misfits songs. Die Die My Darling is done very well by Metallica.

LH
02-23-2005, 04:36 AM
All in all, Metallica is the metal band. "Ride the Lightning," "Master of Puppets," "...And Justice For All" and the black album are awesome, and I'm sure "Kill Em All" is as well but I don't have that one yet. Lightning's gotta be my favorite album of all time. The acoustics on "Fade To Black" are beautiful, and that's something I think makes such a heavy thrash band stand out a bit; they can do amazing ballads as well and not be in the slightest bit wussy for doing so. They can also infuse Slayer level intensity in their music ("One," "Fight Fire With Fire," "Dyers Eve," "Damage Inc.") and some haunting riffs ("Wherever I May Roam," "The Thing That Should Not Be," "For Whom The Bell Tolls") for a mixture of all different stuff, all top-notch work.

Some of their stuff on "Load" and "Reload" is pretty good too, and I'd say those two albums take much more abuse than they deserve. The only Metallica-bashing that is worse is when people put down the black album for being more radio-friendly than previous work. That's weak. Just because something is commercial doesn't mean it sucks. "St. Anger" is just... bad. My main gripe is how they took the structure of their music and shortened and abbreviated everything, cutting out the solos, but still have songs around 8 minutes long. It makes listening to it a chore and every track feels like it's really drawn out longer than it should be. Plus the production value sucks, but everyone knows that.

The Man
02-23-2005, 08:45 PM
C'mon sir...

Dark Angel
Testament
Anthrax
Anacrusis
Watchtower
Coroner

There's way more to 80's thrash/speed than Metallica and Megadeth.
How can you list all those bands and not include the greatest one of all: Slayer? Of course, I forgot them, too; my mind tends to group them more as a death-metal band now.

Moose Knight
02-24-2005, 10:31 PM
How can you list all those bands and not include the greatest one of all: Slayer? Of course, I forgot them, too; my mind tends to group them more as a death-metal band now.

I intentionally left out Slayer. I don't really think they're that great. They might have a few good songs (Raining Blood and Seasons in the Abyss are about it) but they couldn't put together a coherent album if their lives depended on it.

boris no no
02-24-2005, 10:33 PM
The name is Apocalyptica and they're finnish.
:D :D :D :D :D
i've been looking for their name for ages! thanks!
didn't knoe they were finnish. me being a typical english blob i mistake all the europian accents.
thank you! :D

Jack
02-25-2005, 10:47 AM
I think they died years ago. They haven''t "moved", they'vbe stayed as this decrepid aginging dinosoaur of the 80's and their music doesn't relate to today. Most people who say (In my experience) who "love" Mettalica only like their best albums and Enter Sandman. I like that song, but the problem is they havn't changed positively. And when "St. Anger" came along saying they'd changed, they had.
To terrible. Time & Music has changed, they should either follow or die. I'm not saying they're bad, I'm saying they are NOW> :)

Dream Theater were ALWAYS better anyways :D

Mr. Graves
02-27-2005, 04:36 AM
Kill 'Em All - Solid '80s metal.

Ride The Lightning - One of the most melodic rock albums of the '80s, hands down. The title song never fails to get me pumped, even when I'm fully relaxed.

Master Of Puppets - Masterpiece. Not big on "Orion", and I don't think highly of "The Thing That Should Not Be", but it's world better than the material they put out.

...And Justice For All - I'd say this is the worst of Metallica's '80s material, mostly because of Burton's death and the fact that it had no bass. I can't believe that it was produced by the same guy who did Lightning and Puppets. RIP Cliff.

Black Album - The only good songs are the ones that are still played in rotation on the radio. The rest are pretty bad, imo. This disc don't get much play from me.

Load - Decent, but nothing that I'd call masterpiece.

Reload - Average. Painfully average.

Garage Inc. - Great for the old stuff. The newer recordings on the first disc are drull and boring. Like the cover of Nick Cave's "Loverman". Snore. But Disc 2 is awesome.

S/M - No opinion as I've not heard it all. I'm not too big on Live music.

St. Anger - Sad, because I can't take the songs that I've heard (I downloaded them, as I feel that I have a right to do so.) seriously at all. I can't hear the title track without laughing, as I hear Hetfield trying to rap. (Hearing him doing that reminds me of the white rapper on Evanescence's "Bring Me Back To Life". *shudder* x 10). It's hard to believe that this is the same group who made such great music way back when.

I guess my general opinion is the same as Manny's.

jrgen
02-28-2005, 03:04 PM
...And Justice For All - I'd say this is the worst of Metallica's '80s material, mostly because of Burton's death and the fact that it had no bass. I can't believe that it was produced by the same guy who did Lightning and Puppets. RIP Cliff.
I think it's Metallicas best album.
Way better then Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em all.

lord shishio
02-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Nothin beats Master of Puppets.

muchacho
03-02-2005, 12:20 AM
how about you crazy mofo's download some beatallica......... YEAH, THATS RIGHT, METALLICA AND THE BEATLES MIXED............. :radred: BEATALLICA :radred:

Mr. Graves
03-02-2005, 04:29 AM
I think it's Metallicas best album.
Way better then Ride the Lightning and Kill 'em all.

Justice is awesome because of it's lyrical content alone. It still gets play from me because I love the lyrics, to the title song and "Eye of the Beholder" especially. Musically, to me, it suffers.