Chocobo
Bushido Blade
Musashi
Parasite Eve
Kingdom Hearts
Drag-On Dragoon (Drakengard)

edczxcvbnm
02-11-2005, 01:04 AM
Easy call here...Namco. Tales, Xeno, Soul, Ace Combat, Tekken, Ridge Racer, Time Crisis, Pac-Man, Galaga, Mr. Driller AND Dig-Dug all under one roof? How can you go wrong?

EDIT: http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif IT! The whole Namo list is good. GOLDEN I SAY!

Doomgaze
02-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Katamari Damacy WILL be a series. Add that in!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-11-2005, 01:07 AM
Oh yeah. Minna Daisuki Katamari Damacy.

Necronopticous
02-11-2005, 01:08 AM
I prefer Square but I'm a stupid fanboy.

nik0tine
02-11-2005, 01:12 AM

black orb
02-11-2005, 01:24 AM
>>> SQUARE!!! 4 life.

Erdrick Holmes
02-11-2005, 02:02 AM
Square because Tobal was a cool fighting game. It's a shame Tobal 2 never made it to the US.

Necronopticous
02-11-2005, 02:21 AM
Square because Tobal was a cool fighting game. It's a shame Tobal 2 never made it to the US.Tobal #1 is the only game I've ever played by Square that I didn't like, in fact I hated it.

Luc
02-11-2005, 03:02 AM

TheAbominatrix
02-11-2005, 03:31 AM
Namco. I adore Galaga and Tales is one of the finest RPG series around.

Cless
02-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Square, because there's this obscure little RPG series called Final Fantasy that I really like... ;)

Sepho
02-11-2005, 04:00 AM
Einhander is entirely deserving of a spot on that list, or maybe I'm just a sucker for old-school shooters. Hey, it could see a sequel one day (wishful thinking getting the best of me again). Anyhow.

It's not really a choice I care to make. I'll buy a game if it's fun, regardless of who made it. Both companies put out wonderful series, and I've played a few games developed by both that I didn't care for at all.

There's one thing about Namco, and namely their fighting games, that I find interesting.

First of all, before I make this remark, I feel it's important to mention that I have played neither Tekken 3 or Tekken Tag Tournament, and have played the arcade renditions of the first two too long ago to remember much of them. Therefore, I have no idea how similar in design Tekken 4 is to its predecessors. With that out of the way, I can't stand Tekken 4. I might as well play Kakuto Chojin, or poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick for that matter, because both activities are equally as appealing to me. I won't pass judgement on the Tekken name until I've played the entirety of the series, but T4 left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't really have any incentive to give the other titles a go. It's a favorite in tournaments, and apparently has a very technical fighting engine, but all that is irrelevant to me. If it's boring, I won't play it.

On the other hand, I love Soul Calibur II. I still favor 2D fighters as a whole, but SCII is the finest 3D fighter I've ever played.

I'm not sure how I planned on following up on what I've already said, but I'm far too tired to make any attempt at that now.

Good night all.

NM
02-11-2005, 11:30 AM
I have to go for Square.

I've had more hours of enjoyment from just one Final Fantasy game than most of Namco's offering's

The only Namco game I care for is Soul Calibur 2. I don't know how the same company can produce the best 3D beat 'em up in SC2 and then on the other hand produce the button bashing rubbish that is Tekken!

I am planning on getting Tales Of Symphonia at some point as it looks/sounds very good. The other Namco RPG's have never been released in the UK so I have no idea how they compare to Square's offering's.

Jebus
02-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Namco, because of Galaga and Katamari Freaking Damacy.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Packers.

Del Murder
02-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Comparing Galaga to Final Fantasy is like comparing apples to a Corvette.

edczxcvbnm
02-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I know. There are a http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif load of apples(FF) but there are not quite as many Corvettes(Galaga). That makes the Corvette that much more special.

Yamaneko
02-11-2005, 06:12 PM
I can't say I've pleayed most of those Namco games, so by default Square wins.

Dreddz
02-11-2005, 08:19 PM
Square cause of creating the greatest RPG series ever And we all know what that is

Sepho
02-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Square cause of creating the greatest RPG series ever And we all know what that is

Xenogears? The Chrono series?

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

Cz
02-11-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm not exactly into FF any more, and haven't played a Square game in months. In that time I've played plenty of Namco titles, so I guess they win.

Rostum
02-11-2005, 10:53 PM
Even though I love the Klonoa games, I like RPG's even more. So I'm going for Square.

Pure Strife
02-11-2005, 11:27 PM
I've only played one of those Square series extensively, and have enjoyed about half of that Namco list at some point. So I'd say neither at the moment, but if Namco keep putting out RPGs like Tales Of Symphonia it'll probably end up tipping in their favour. Unless Square make up for 11 with an awesome 12 or 13, then it's in the air again.

Destai
02-11-2005, 11:57 PM
Another stupid fanboy right here.

RSL
02-12-2005, 12:09 AM
I'd have to go Namco on this one.

Jebus
02-12-2005, 12:29 AM

Wait a second. Square didn't make Suikoden.

Destai
02-12-2005, 01:39 AM
wait a second! Suikoden doesnt have more than 25 games created from it majority rated from 6-10/10

Rostum
02-12-2005, 01:53 AM
wait a second! Suikoden doesnt have more than 25 games created from it majority rated from 6-10/10

What has that got to do with someone thinking Suikoden is better then Final Fantasy?

Dreddz
02-12-2005, 11:55 AM
FF VII if you play it to the limit in which i mean play it to death is like will probably keep you occupied about half the namco games

TheAbominatrix
02-12-2005, 12:51 PM
If you play any game to death it will keep you occupied for quite some time. Ever play a Tales game? Every one of those is every bit as long and involving as any FF, if not moreso.

Destai
02-12-2005, 01:50 PM
What has that got to do with someone thinking Suikoden is better then Final Fantasy?
Jebus claimed Suikoden was the greatest RPG series ever. Dont think so.

Shoden
02-12-2005, 02:03 PM
are you namco lovers blind look at the charts look at life and the greatest RPG ever
Square may not have had more games than namco but Final fantasy has outsold a vast majority of namco games i aint naming them because it will become an arguement.

Suikoden is a 2 year olds teletubbie game compared to the great superiorness of Final Fantasy. that series alone made square what it is today they made other games that where brilliant too i admit i havent played them but my reasons are they arent out in UK and i cannot get my hands on it.

No Flaming people but face the fact that Square is better than namco best selling games against eachother

Final Fantasy Vs ???

i dunno who namcos best sellin game series WAS so id like it if someone told me

Dreddz
02-12-2005, 02:10 PM
an someone inform me on these tales games please

Shoden
02-12-2005, 02:21 PM
just wannabe Final Fantasy games they're alright but dont even compare to its superiors at Squaresoft

edczxcvbnm
02-12-2005, 03:06 PM
I am not blind but appearntly you are to think that square is better than Namco.

1) Namco has been around longer than square.
2) Namco has more classic games than square.
3) Namco has more varied choice of games than square.
4) Namco has more good series than square.
5) Namco didn't make a http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifty movie.

That is why Namco better. Square may have a game or two way up there on the charts every two years but it is just Final Fantasy. On top of that I think Pac-Man has accumulated more money in its life than Final Fantasy has. That game was the http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifing quarter muncher. So addictive.

Shoden
02-12-2005, 04:39 PM
yawn does it look as if i care about some mindless yeloow blob munching dots eating ghosts thats all you did on pacman this is MODERN day and Final Fantasy is one of the greatest games around, Advent Children is going to rake in a hell of alot and when XII and DOC come out then itll be a new era.
does namco have a MMORPG that never ends? does namco have a brilliant music composer?

namco may have been around longer than Square but modern day Square is better Final Fantasy VII lead hundreds of gamers to the light, Square has had alliances with disney which attracted great actors David Boreanaz ppl like that and Most Final Fantasies have great storylines, characters and other things.

i dont mean to begin flaming but you're referring to the past namco WAS very successfull still is but Square is around to SURPASS it which i think they may already have

Trumpet Thief
02-12-2005, 05:12 PM
yawn does it look as if i care about some mindless yeloow blob munching dots eating ghosts thats all you did on pacman this is MODERN day and Final Fantasy is one of the greatest games around, Advent Children is going to rake in a hell of alot and when XII and DOC come out then itll be a new era.
does namco have a MMORPG that never ends? does namco have a brilliant music composer?

namco may have been around longer than Square but modern day Square is better Final Fantasy VII lead hundreds of gamers to the light, Square has had alliances with disney which attracted great actors David Boreanaz ppl like that and Most Final Fantasies have great storylines, characters and other things.

i dont mean to begin flaming but you're referring to the past namco WAS very successfull still is but Square is around to SURPASS it which i think they may already have

chaos: Urgh; The FFVII praising threads are more than enough. FFVII leads hundreds of gamers to "the light"? It's no religion, and nothing perfect either. Namco has brought tons of great games as well, and IMO, I'd choose them over Square anyday.

Rubedo: And Namco does have tons of great music composers. Even though Mitsuda only stayed for a short while, his work on XS1 was brilliant. :)

Destai
02-12-2005, 05:14 PM
I dont know enough about Namco to say much on this but Square can fulfill my RPG cravings and thats why I have to go with them.

edczxcvbnm
02-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Namco does not have a MMORPG but does square have a good fighter or a good flight sim game? How about a good arcade game?

Brilliant music composer is a matter of opinion and I believe they do in their Tales composer. Thats is more than square has now. Who is square's brilliant composer?

Who is David Boreanaz?

Square almost went out buisness due to the FF Movie and was bought out by Enix. Way to surpass :laugh:

I notice that the only thing you mention is FF related stuff. Sounds like square is a one trick pony and can't do anything else.

Shoden
02-12-2005, 05:22 PM
look namco is OLD fashioned and im going on about MODERN day sheez after 7 Square began to skyrocket namco couldnt create a brilliant RPG if the plans where posted on a billboard, Square is NOW better than namco about 10 years ago Square was a low class gaming co. but if you compare modern day square then you get a superior. namco did make some pretty good games in the PAST as in 40 years ago thats when pacman was out but Final Fantasy alone can kill pacman. by that metaphor back there it meant it made neutral gamers see the truth of gaming you may disagree with the truth but thats your style

edczxcvbnm
02-12-2005, 05:26 PM
And I AM talking about now. Square still does not have a decent fight while Namco has 2 SERIES. Tekken and Soul. Namco has a very good RPG Franchise also. Tales of Series. Started on SNES and just had a Gamecube entry with Tales of Symphonia. The series is a million seller just like FF.

Trumpet Thief
02-12-2005, 05:32 PM
chaos: I agree with ed, as always. Namco has a large variety of great games, and now, as Xenogears belongs to them (As Monolith left Square and joined Namco), it just seals the deal. :)

Shoden
02-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Final Fantasy has way more games that outsell tales namco doesnt have a film sequel to a game once Dirge of cerberus, Advent Children and Final fantasy XII are released namco are gonna have to start something that is they're idea and not a spin off Final Fantasy. the PS2 is a more favoured console than the cube though even though the cube is good it questions me of its liability of games. Final Fantay 1-6 got remakes as Origins Anthology and VI on PS1 platform allowing PS2 owners to play the old games

most of namcos success came from old fashioned times

Trumpet Thief
02-12-2005, 05:36 PM
chaos: What has Namco done that is a spinoff of Final Fantasy?

Trowa: To me, Square's just trying to re-use FFVII for their success. IMO, they should be the ones to come up with new ideas, rather than adding game after game to a Final Fantasy that was good on it's own.

Shoden
02-12-2005, 05:50 PM
why should they Final fantasy is an Original idea Tales of ??? is a slight spinoff sheez you dont have to ask me ask squaresoft

Basic games
RPG > Fighting
Squaresoft<> namco
we dont know what is better we dint know but we're just saying now im going before this becomes flaming. theres gonna be more people who defend square

StarlightAngel
02-12-2005, 06:08 PM
Well, duh. This is a Final Fantasy forum.

I still think Namco is my favorite because I really like some of their games. :love:

edczxcvbnm
02-12-2005, 06:11 PM
By that logic FF needs to stop ripping off of Dragon Quest. It came first after all.

RPG > Fighting is true but
Fighting, Racing, Action, Adventure, Flight > RPG

Stop saying Namco's sucess was in the past because it has had CONSTANT sucess. I was using fighting as an example of something they have that square doesn't.

Why are you even bringing consoles into this? You do realize that Namco is SOOO big that they develop for every console and even ahve multi-platform games...right? Yeah...so why are you even bringing up consoles? If anything we should bring up that square doesn't put out a whole lot of games and the ones out side FF have sucked(THE Bouncer, driving emotion type s, drag-on dragoon and other piles of crap).

Also answer me this. Who is square's brilliant composer?

Shoden
02-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Nobuo Uematsu id like to hear better game music than that

RPG has many categories theres Platform Rpgs, Tactical RPGs, Shooting RPGs and Fighting RPGs and many more

Fighting, Racing, Action, Adventure, Flight < MMORPG

MORE gamers have heard of Final Fantasy than this Tales thing I watch Gamezville and it was clearly Stated by many Gaming magazines and this programme Final Fantasy Is one one of the greatest game series ever and you know what it's still growing its has games varying from adventure, MMORPG, Shooting- Tactical
its still the greater RPG series but hey its your oppinion im disagreeing about im im telling the truth about Final Fantasy being more successfull than Tales and Xenosaga.

Good Night

heres another one
Truth > Lies
the question is whats the lie and whats the truth youll have to find out yourself

Square also Had Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger and Xenogears

edczxcvbnm
02-12-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm sorry. Anything > MMORPG :D

As for Nobou...he doesn't work at square. He quit. So...who is square's brilliant composer you speak of and need I remind you that we are talking NOW and not in the past as you seem to have to keep reminding people about.

Those games are 5 and 7 years old(Chrono Cross, Xenogears). Beside the people who made those games left square and now work at Namco.

Square has always had a variety of games...just none of them were good and always sucked. The only thing they are good at is RPGs and even then they fail half the time outside of FF(I think they fail half the time with FF). The also will not support those adventure or shooting titles to make them a series.

More gamers have heard of FF rather than Tales or Xenosaga but also niether one of those series have been around for near 20 years.

I am not really going to comment on your subgenre of RPG because anyone can break anything down more to make it look like more.

TheAbominatrix
02-12-2005, 11:10 PM
omfg Square is so awesome I luv it!

Get over it. You're defending a COMPANY like someone would defend a religion.

Shoden, werent you just talking about how terrible IX and X are? And X-2? And how terrible XII looks? Soooo... if we're talking about the PRESENT, doesnt that mean Square sucks now?

And do note, I'm not saying Square sucks. I like a lot of their RPGs. I do have the presence of mind to realize, however, that Square is not God, and that there are plenty of good companies out there, Namco included. If you're limiting yourself to Square out of some deluded loyalty, you're missing out on a lot of great games. Square did not corner the market on good RPGs.

Sepho
02-13-2005, 12:41 AM
To add another element to the debate, let's discuss exactly what is being argued in regards to which company is superior to the other.

Shoden, you're largely arguing from the angle that the FF series (and not Square as a whole, I might add) is more popular and has done better commercially than the Tales series and other Namco series (and not Namco itself as a company, I must point out). It's a good argument.

I'm looking at it from a different perspective, however, and I think many of the people who have posted in this thread are sharing that perspective.

I have no idea which corporation is more financially successful, and I'm not about to look up fiscal year earnings or anything of the sort because, to be honest, I think it's irrelevant. I believe the original intention of the thread was to discuss which company is better at developing fun, original, high quality games and game series.

I think it goes without saying that the most profitable games are not necessarily the best, and this is evidenced by the fact that some of the best selling games are licensed rubbish and half-arsed franchise sequels.

Obviously, I like the Final Fantasy series, or else I wouldn't have signed up to post on a message board titled "Eyes on Final Fantasy". In addition, Chrono Trigger and Xenogears are probably my two personal favorite RPGs, both developed by Square. On the other hand, though, Square has made some games I thought were horrible. Every company has. Square is not a "god company". They also have little strength in any genre other than RPGs.

I don't favor Namco by a tremendous margin, but it was still a fairly easy choice to make. Namco has developed many wonderful games, and more importantly, I've played few Namco games that I didn't particularly care for. Namco also gains points for the fact that they've recruited the former-Square Xenogears team.

-Zohar-
02-13-2005, 03:31 AM
*kicks gentials* j/k. But honestly. I have a few points to cover.
1. Hmmmm...Better than Nobuo Uematsu...hmmmmmmmm...Lets see...Mitsuda, anyone? He completely owns Nobuo. Mitsuda has composed the grandest, most famous game soundtracks in existance; 3 that I shall note, in fact. Xenogears, Xenosaga Episode I: Der Willie Zur Macht, and...Chrono Trigger. Three legendary RPGs with legendary soundtracks that perfectly fit. Basically, Nobuo's works in my opinion (for the most part) are somewhat bland and not very artistic. And music is an art, no?! FFVII has an overrated soundtrack, and its probably considered Nobuo's definative work. Xenogears, on the other hand? Friggin' awesome, enigmatic, always fitting and never failing to send chills down your spine! I havent played Chrono yet, but XS also is very artsy, unique, talented, has a full orchestra, and a good one in fact (London Philiharmonic *probably a spelling error*)...you get the idea...if you played these somewhat more discreet titles.
2. If you look at the list of titles, you see one defining series and other little-known names...on which list? Square/Squeenix. Even though FF is a genre definition to most...Most of the newer ones (PS2/some PSone, and you know which one...) are failures! FFXI is a time sink. FFX-2 is a soft-soft-softcore B- Jpnese Bikini flic. FFX has too many negative characters to be an epic but it isn't too bad...FFVIII? Dont even make me start! Squeenix isn't perfect and it screws up quite often. But never fear...I love IX, I love VII, I will probably love VI when I play it from what Ive heard. Namco has...Xenosaga! EPIC!! Beauty in its finest! Tales! Famous RPG series. Some nice fighting titles and other things of the sort. In all, an intriguing company, not as rich and not as corrupt!
leading to my next point...
3. SE is...evil. Greedy. Just plain mean and needy. Needy and needed, suits them well.
I have delved into very reliable sources for this story. Just tell me if it isn't what really happened...if it didn't and you know for a fact.
XENOGEARS-A brilliant, controversial NOVEL written by the master of epic plots himself.
Hideo
Kojima
He wrote it as a novel, but then decided that he truely wanted to try it as a pioneering RPG concept. He took it to his own Konami but they gave excuses. The development center complained, saying that there was not a sufficient amount of experience with that type of RPG in the company, and also complaining about how controversial that release could become. He pondered the RPG kings...and eventually sold to the highest bidder; Squeeny.
So, Takasashi's Monolith Soft Square branch edited and made it into an RPG. Takasashi, of course, improved it and wrote in some things most likely.
Well, what does this have to do with Square? Well, MS went to work for Namco because they would not have any time restrictions on the Xeno Universe dream. Takasashi complained that he could not fulfill his uber awesome timeline with Squares production rushes that harmed the 2nd Disks everything *except story*. BUT! Square produced its underground hit, but once the XG team (MS) left them, they kept the rights. Who knows who owns them today...Greedy! They should give their rights to the rightful owners, I think.
Also, their post-FFVII FFVII project (insert annoying name here) is just a sham for money in my eyes (for the most part). FFVII: AC looks awesome, but I cannot agree with some of their moves. Dirge of Ceberus is ridiculous; basically a MGS ripoff with some FFVII characters and seemingly no correlation between the plots. How could an RPG company with little experience in much else pull that off...and its a sham indeed, anyways...Last time they overstepped their same boundaries of RPGs, they came up with Ergheiz. Brilliant.

Namco is INNOCENT compared to Squeenix. And ever since Square became a merged company (SE), most everything has metamorphosed into bull****. Some wont agree, yes, but look at my reasons above, no? Yes? :mad: :( :confused: :cry:

Doomgaze
02-13-2005, 05:07 AM
Pretty much everything you said there about Xenogears is complete and utter bullhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-13-2005, 09:24 AM
And how can you possibly call Dirge of Cerberus a Metal Gear Solid rip-off when all we have to go on are a few screenshots? You also seem to think Ehrgeiz was Square's last non-RPG game, which is about as ignorant of them as certain people are about Namco.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-14-2005, 03:47 AM
Enix :D

Seriously though I don't have a preference, I'll buy from any company that makes a game that I might want to play.

James Latimer Cockney Rebel
02-14-2005, 10:19 PM
I prefer Square to Namco 'cause I like both some FFs and the Chronos, whilst Namco only does it for me with Tekken.

Xenogears. Hideo Kojima. Ahahahaha, even Hideo would wet himself over that.

Dreddz
02-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Squares only Downfall was the movie that they made. But AC looks to make up for it

Rase
02-16-2005, 05:00 AM
TIE :D

Seriously, the FF series (only really good Square games I've played) is usually a blast, but Namco has the Tales of series, the Soul series, as well as many older games I still enjoy now. So, if forced to choose, I guess I'd say Namco by a smidgen.

Black Mage
02-17-2005, 05:59 PM
Enix. Namco. Square.

In that order.

And to the fellow bad mouthing Tales games: You, sir, have obviously never played Tales of Phantasia. Please go out and play some games by someone other than Square before sharing your opinions, and if you have, then by all means, please tell us why Final Fantasy is better than said games with reasons other than "FF is more popular", or "More people know about FF".

If your arguement is that the Tales games are ' just wannabe Final Fantasy games they're alright but dont even compare to its superiors at Squaresoft" then please remember that Final Fantasy started off as a "wannabe" Dragon Quest.

DMKA
02-18-2005, 05:50 AM