PDA

View Full Version : Are walkthroughs worth buying?

*Dark~Chaos*
02-11-2005, 03:57 AM
Are they? :p

lordblazer
02-11-2005, 04:29 AM
watse of money in my opinion trust me your better off figuring it out on your own and making the well-worth mistakes.Trust the only game walkthrough thats worht buying is Morrowind:GOTY walk-through.Trust me when you beat tribunual bloodmoon and morrowind main quest.Did allt eh guild quest.Then yout hinkt here is nothing else to do wrong.Pick up that walk-through and you'll find over a thousand quest to do and also i think it was 5 thousand dungeons and bandit-caves to hit.Also being a vampire owns.

Faris
02-11-2005, 04:41 AM
I can admit that I started to collect strategy guides :p. Yes, they're very useful, it beats running to the computer whenever you get stuck because you forgot where to go, you forgot what you had to go get or need tips on something . But, yes it costs a fair bit of money. I wouldn't call it a waste, because later in life, if you keep it in good condition it could be worth more than you paid for (kinda like hockey cards :))

TheAbominatrix
02-11-2005, 04:48 AM
The fact that there's a large website dedicated to walkthroughs makes buying them useless unless it's a personal hobby or for the pictures.

I find the walkthroughs over on gamefaqs.com to be better done and more useful then any strategy guide I've ever picked up. The one for The Third Age is so horredously messed up it's practically useless. Yes, I am exagerating, but it's really poorly done

Luc
02-11-2005, 04:59 AM
Why buy walkthroughs when you have GameFAQs? :p

Shlup
02-11-2005, 05:59 AM
The fact that there's a large website dedicated to walkthroughs makes buying them useless unless it's a personal hobby or for the pictures.

I find the walkthroughs over on gamefaqs.com to be better done and more useful then any strategy guide I've ever picked up. The one for The Third Age is so horredously messed up it's practically useless. Yes, I am exagerating, but it's really poorly done
She speaks the truth.

Agent Proto
02-11-2005, 06:03 AM
I buy them for the pictures. :) Which is not saying alot, because most often, I don't need it, so I don't buy walkthroughs.

Necronopticous
02-11-2005, 07:07 AM
I collect Square official strategy guides, some of them I've never used, I just collect them.

starlet
02-11-2005, 07:10 AM
Not when you have the internet. :p

Lionx
02-11-2005, 07:18 AM
Yea walkthroughs really fell through the market when GameFAQs appeared, there are quality walkthroughs there(not to mention FF ones made by our local Dingo Jellybean which i use) that although not as visually appealing, is sufficient and good enough not to waste 20 bucks for a walkthrough which i could save up for another game. The point now is...why? =/

I also dont get MMO Walkthroughs -_-; They change so rapidly that sooner or later the entire walkthrough besides the basics are changed.

Rainecloud
02-11-2005, 07:32 AM
I don't see the point in buying games if I'm going to purcase a walkthrough to guide me through it. Games are meant to be explored, enjoyed and ultimately solved by the player, not bypassed with the help of an expert guide.

So, yes, they're a waste of $/£.

Miriel
02-11-2005, 08:04 AM
I also dont get MMO Walkthroughs -_-; They change so rapidly that sooner or later the entire walkthrough besides the basics are changed.

The guide for FFXI was just so, so bad. I mean really. BAAAAD.

Lionx
02-11-2005, 08:07 AM
The guide for FFXI was just so, so bad. I mean really. BAAAAD.

I know ; ; I seen people say WAR/WHM is good because the strat guide said so... >< Its horribly frustrating..*cries with Miriel*

Rostum
02-11-2005, 08:43 AM
I used to get them after I finished a game and before I knew the internet had walkthroughs. The pictures and artwork are nice.

Flashback007
02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Hmmm I rather visit gamefaqs a few times then buy a walktrough myself. Altough I am thinking on buying on for GTA: San Andreas

Xander
02-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Nah..definately not for the walkthrough at least. As people like Ashley have said www.gamefaqs.com has everything you would ever need, pretty much. I buy strategy guides for the nice art and because I collect FF stuff. ^_^

DMKA
02-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Everything you'd ever need is online, and most of the time they're far better. For example, the FFVII strategy guide doesn't even tell you the correct piano tune to play for Final Heaven. :p

Unless you're collecting them because you're a big fan, they aren't worth buying.

Doomgaze
02-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Some are actually well done, and it's nice to have a professionally formatted book at your side rather than having to run over to the PC. As has been mentioned, the Morrowind guide was quite good (doesn't have a decent items list though :()

Destai
02-11-2005, 04:44 PM
If you use the net then you dont really need them. I always buy the official ones for FF because of the fantastic artwork I love to draw from it.

Dreddz
02-11-2005, 04:52 PM
i would never go out and shed £12 sumin on a walkthrough. But theres nothing wrong with them. If people wanna buy them then im not gonna complain. But then again why would you be buying a walkthrough when theres Gamefaqs??????? oh yer if you dont have the internet

omnitarian
02-11-2005, 06:58 PM
I don't buy walkthroughs, GameFAQs works fine for me. The artwork and maps are sort of spiffy, I guess, but it's generally not worth the money.

I have a few game guides, but only because they were magazine subscription bonuses.

Endless
02-11-2005, 08:54 PM
The problem is that guides released in the US/Europe usually are not bringing much more than what you can find on gamefaqs. However, Japanese guides are really worth the money. The Ultimania guides in particular, go really in depth, and usually teach more about the game than you can possibly find playing, because they go and ask developpers, and do research about the history of characters/world, deeper than the game itself provides. Plus in some cases, they have full color maps (Legend of Mana Ultimania guide, Magical Vacation Complete Guide), or a good art section (Makai Senki Disgaea).

Also, I like having real tables when I'm looking for info, especially tactical games.

m4tt
02-11-2005, 09:05 PM
They make good bathroom reading material. Plus you get like 15% off if you buy them WITH the game! At EBGames and Gamestop anyway.

Destai
02-12-2005, 12:03 AM
I must have passed X three times before I bought the piggyback guide (which whoops Brady Games ass) and I have never regreted it. If you enjoy the art at all they're a brilliant buy.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Yeah, GameFaqs is the best. I have a few strategy guides, but their "meh". I wonder though, how all those people at GameFaqs, find the time type over 300 pages worth of info, and that's for small guides, they must work really hard at it...*hugs them*

Ryth
02-12-2005, 01:11 AM
No because you can find them everywhere on the net. Like www.Cheatcc.com (http://www.Cheatcc.com) it has cheats, walkthroughs, release dates, and reviews. Also you should really just find it out yourself unless you're that stuck.

crashNUMBERS
02-13-2005, 06:29 AM
yes walkthroughs are great but i voted on no because you can just go and find it on the internet.

and I love Cheatcc.com !!!!!!!!!

Rase
02-13-2005, 06:37 AM
Why buy something that's free?

K-chan
02-13-2005, 06:57 PM
Why buy walkthroughs when you have GameFAQs?

Man! Thats what I was gonna say! ^^ lol Sometimes they're a bit off though

Lindy
02-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Try getting everything in GTA:SA without the official strategy guide.

A picture tells a thousand words, but a picture and a detailed map listing the exact damn bench I'm supposed to photograph to complete my collection is beyond heaven.

Spammerman
03-01-2005, 04:50 PM
its better to just figure it out. A person who uses walkthroughs has no real experience but a person who does the game on their own is truly good at it

crashNUMBERS
03-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Hey shuddap alex your just trying to make fun of me!! :mad2:

m4tt
03-01-2005, 10:39 PM
its better to just figure it out. A person who uses walkthroughs has no real experience but a person who does the game on their own is truly good at it

Or a person that uses a walkthrough doesn't have the time to go search for every little thing and they don't mind being helped out.

Rase
03-02-2005, 05:14 AM
I'm gonna go with that one.

BritishBun
03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Depends on if you want to have fun, i say buy one after you beat the game so you can do it again but get everything you missed and have more fun with secrets