PDA

View Full Version : Because Valentine's Day is close...

Dingo Jellybean
02-11-2005, 05:56 PM
...I felt urged to post this.

Anyways, would you rather be infinitely successful in life without love, or rather be in love and just be another guy/gal?

For me, the answer is pretty obvious. I'd take the latter in a heartbeat(no pun intended). I don't care about fancy cars, millions of dollars, and mansions. I don't think any of those things can ever make me truly happy...so yeah...discuss...bitch.

Peegee
02-11-2005, 06:03 PM
My undisputed fantasy in life is to be rich.

Tokki Wartooth
02-11-2005, 06:06 PM
With enough money, you can buy yourself love. It's not like anybody's ever going to love you for a non-superficial reason anyway, so why not have them love you for your money? That way you can afford to be ugly too.

Agent Proto
02-11-2005, 06:12 PM
As much as I want to be rich, I am completely satisfied with being just another guy in love. :)

DoomAntenna
02-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Infinitely successful? So this includes taking over the world and ruling it as empress? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have time for love anyhow, what with all the running-the-world business, so I'd vote for infinitely successful. Besides, having all those resources would ensure me the ability to make friends through patronage, if nothing else! Of course, assassination attempts might be a problem...

Jojee
02-11-2005, 06:17 PM
Love :<3: I'm a hopeless romantic. :fplove:

Zeldy
02-11-2005, 06:24 PM
i believe that money cant buy happiness.
Im Happy with Love, thats money to me :love:

UltimaLimit
02-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Can I be moderately successful and have love too? Middle class, I mean? I'd rather have the success and no wife, rather than have a wife but be two bums on the street--what kind of life is that to offer a loved one? If you're successful, you can get "trophy wives" and women for hire. (Not that I'm advocating trophy wives.) My question is, is it all or nothing?

If all-or-nothing, I'd take the success--maybe I could do some good in the world with it. If you can be moderately successful and have love, I'd take that instead.

Early Happy Valentine's Day to everyone. :<3:

Peegee
02-11-2005, 06:38 PM
You can't buy love, but women will be attracted to your money (but not you).

But I never truly looked for love, just a sane relationship. Even without it, lots of money will always benefit you.

Miriel
02-11-2005, 08:02 PM

Yup.

Tokki Wartooth
02-11-2005, 08:33 PM
You can't buy love, but women will be attracted to your money (but not you).
Having a superficial leverage like money is exactly the same as having a superficial leverage like being attracitve. But at least you're getting love in either case.

Ryth
02-11-2005, 08:41 PM
I want love that is the one thing in the world I want, I'll give anything for the woman I love to love me back but alas she's in love with my friend.... :cry:

Spritz
02-11-2005, 09:27 PM
Having a superficial leverage like money is exactly the same as having a superficial leverage like being attracitve. But at least you're getting love in either case.

Tasura
02-11-2005, 09:41 PM
You could say that im a hopeless romantic, i give a rose to every girl in my class every year and hope that something happens(not in the sick sense)

boris no no
02-11-2005, 10:25 PM
well as i'm going to speand valentines day alone i'll be bitter and say money. today i'm angry with love. it's the one thing i want that i can't have.
i wish i could love like i did. :cry:

so the money please! men will love me with enough money

Craig
02-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Well as usual I have neither, but i'd go for luff.

Jojee
02-12-2005, 01:22 AM
You could say that im a hopeless romantic, i give a rose to every girl in my class every year and hope that something happens(not in the sick sense)

Maybe you should only pick a few girls to send roses to, because as everyone is getting it, it wouldn't be as special ;)

krissy
02-12-2005, 01:35 AM
life is good on it's own

Loony BoB
02-12-2005, 01:39 AM
To be a normal guy with a girl who he's in love with and for that girl to love him back is to be successful. I have a career job, I have promotions being offered to me, I can afford to live in a two-bedroom flat by myself.

I'd give up my career job, I'd work part time for the rest of my life and I'd sleep in a shack if that shack was the home to me and a lady I was in love with.

But if I can't get the latter for now, I'll take what occupational success I can get.

Jojee
02-12-2005, 01:40 AM
Bawb.... that's beautiful. *starry eyed @ you* :<3:

...hahah but that's the same case with my boy, so I already have someone who is beautiful inside and out ^__^

Tasura
02-12-2005, 01:41 AM
if i gave a rose to only some girls, some may feel left out, and that wouldnt be a good thing to do on valentines day.

fire_of_avalon
02-12-2005, 03:18 AM
I'm already pretty powerful. And loved. *wins*

But seriously, what does anything mean in life if nobody really gives a damn about who you are? I know many of you seem to believe love is superficial, but it isn't. Nobody LOVES you, like real love, for your looks or your money. They love you because of you.

Don't believe me if you don't want too, but I've found that those who DO NOT believe that are those who have unhappy relationships. Just my experience speaking, though.

kikimm
02-12-2005, 03:33 AM
Oh, I don't know. Not having one of them will cause me equal amounts of unhappiness, I believe. I'm talking about success as in, having lots of money, "pimped out" cars, but I really want to be successful in the career path that I'll choose.

Hmm.

:D

-N-
02-12-2005, 03:45 AM
I just thought of some side questions to which I'd like to see responses. If you're one of those guys who likes to support and help people, what if you founded some medical technology that saved countless lives? Would that make you happy? Happier than having a family that loved you? What if you knew you probably couldn't sustain a family given your personality or your ambition? Would you still try and fail to start a family, or pursue a career?

ZeZipster
02-12-2005, 04:11 AM
I think you're being a bit broad.. I mean INFINITE success? That could mean alot... and WHAT is love?

What is love?
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more

What is love
Yeah

Oh I don't know, why you're not fair
I give you my love, but you don't care
So what is right, and what is wrong
Gimme a sign

What is love, baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more
Don't hurt me, no more

Oh I don't know, what can I do
What else can I say, it's up to you
I know we're one, just me and you
I can't go on

Don't hurt me, no more
Don't hurt me, no more

What is love?
What is love?

Don't hurt me, no more

Don't hurt me
Don't hurt me

I want no other, no other love
This is your life, our time
When we are together, I need you forever
Is it love

Don't hurt me, no more
Don't hurt me, no more
Yeah

Don't hurt me, no more
Don't hurt me, no more

Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more
Baby don't hurt me
Don't hurt me, no more
What is love?

Okay, I'm done.

The Captain
02-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan would be proud.

As for the question at hand, to have love, true love, to me, means you have already succeeded in life and everything else that may surround you, be it wealth, fame, and the like, is just part of the world that can eventually fade away or be used up.

No amount of money or power can ever fill the void that love does in my opinion.

I've also found, that those who have love in their lives oftentimes can achieve greater success, money, power and ultimately happiness in their lives. Perhaps, it makes sense that way.

Take care all.

Sefie1999AD
02-12-2005, 11:10 AM
i believe that money cant buy happiness.
Im Happy with Love, thats money to me :love:

Good point, and also very good posts from BoB and the Captain. Infinitely succesful doesn't mean infinitely happy, or happy at all. Just think about those rich princesses in those fairy tales that want out to the world to find love. ^^ Seriously though, if you can find your true love who also truly loves you back, you will certainly be at least somewhat succesful, and you'll be happy, which more than makes up for being overly succesful. Besides, money and success can be a dangerous thing. Money corrupts and success can go in your head. :D

This question is somewhat similar to my "Better to love and lose than to never love and never be broken-hearted?" question. Once again, I think I'd pick love. :love:

Erdrick Holmes
02-12-2005, 11:25 AM
I can't really ever enjoy Valentines day anymore, eversence an incident over the summer happened.

Roogle
02-12-2005, 11:29 AM
With enough money, you can buy yourself love. It's not like anybody's ever going to love you for a non-superficial reason anyway, so why not have them love you for your money? That way you can afford to be ugly too.

Hey, some girl that finally understands this.

Rye
02-12-2005, 03:20 PM
We had a discussion like this in my class once. I think you need money and love to be happy. I'd be perfectly happy being with someone I love in a middle class situation. I'd still be extremely happy with someone I love in a poor situation too, but still, you need some money to be comfortable.

Erdrick Holmes
02-12-2005, 04:07 PM
We had a discussion like this in my class once. I think you need money and love to be happy. I'd be perfectly happy being with someone I love in a middle class situation. I'd still be extremely happy with someone I love in a poor situation too, but still, you need some money to be comfortable.

It's about freakin' time somebody thought of this. This definetly prooves my thought that money rules all of reality.

illuminated
02-12-2005, 04:49 PM
I'd also have to agree with what The Captain said :)

Anyway...here's something I got a few months back, which I think is summed up beautifully:

Life is a game.
It doesn't matter what you have or how much you've acquired.
If at the end of it all, there's someone who loves you, with all your faults and absurdities, then you've won.
You've won the game of life.

:love:

Mr. Graves
02-12-2005, 07:04 PM
I'd pick the former ; successful with no love at all. Living in comfort, yay.

-N-
02-13-2005, 05:51 AM
Will Ferrell and Chris Kattan would be proud. :cool:

Silmaril
02-13-2005, 01:17 PM
I'd rather have love. :fplove:

James Latimer Cockney Rebel
02-13-2005, 04:46 PM

Superficial leverages only work at the formation and opening stages of a relationship. Money and looking dayum fine can make the person appear more 'attactive', yet both won't last very long if what is wanted in a relationship is actual 'love' and companionship; as opposed to mainly an economic or egotistical benefit.

Sweet Beloved
02-13-2005, 05:01 PM
I'd rather have love. One of the greatest emotions of all. Can't fight it....much....
It's like, you hear a symphony when you fall in love instantly...
I hate my life.

K-chan
02-13-2005, 06:38 PM
I'd take love over riches. Sure, I wouldn't want to be a bum on the street, but I don't need to be rolling in money either. ^^

UltimaLimit
02-13-2005, 08:25 PM
I just thought of some side questions to which I'd like to see responses. If you're one of those guys who likes to support and help people, what if you founded some medical technology that saved countless lives? Would that make you happy? Happier than having a family that loved you? What if you knew you probably couldn't sustain a family given your personality or your ambition? Would you still try and fail to start a family, or pursue a career?If I make a miracle drug: I don't know if it would make me happier than a family or not (it would depend on if I'd tried and failed before), but consider this: what if shortly after, I fell for a girl who'd been saved by the medical miracle I founded? Suppose also that the miracle procedure was horrifically expensive to do, and thus gobbled up 95% of the profits, so while I'm not starving in the street, I'm not a "high-roller", either. I wonder what would happen then?

If I would have a hard time sustaining a marraige due to my personality or ambition: the ideal solution, of course, would be to find someone like me (though it could be hell on the kids psychologically, if we got married, since both of us might be career-obsessed). In the meantime, though, success all the way, and hope to meet someone like me someday.