PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code

Ezme
02-11-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi, I just finished it and wondered what anyone else thought of it? I love it, even if you don't take it as strictly factual its a good story. What are peoples really opinion, not what was on the tony robinson documentary.
I think its really interesting, providing an alternate version of things and all the info about penticles and other symbology, usful for confusing people in my Philosophy class anyway!

Kirobaito
02-11-2005, 09:31 PM
It's interesting, but a complete work of fiction. People need to understand that when they read it.

Shoden
02-11-2005, 09:59 PM
its like the bible codes some things are true and interesting but its just fiction.

Del Murder
02-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Good book, but not great. The twist was predictable and some of the writing was rather corny. The subject matter was very interesting.

Miriel
02-11-2005, 10:19 PM
It's interesting, but a complete work of fiction. People need to understand that when they read it.

Exactly. It's that darn misleading preface in the beginning of the book that makes people think that even a fraction of the book is based in truth.

I thought the book was mediocre at best and toward the last chapters I was just itching for the thing to just END. All I wanted was to finish it so I could toss it aside and never look at it again.

*shrugs*

I didn't live up to the hype =/

The Man
02-12-2005, 11:26 PM
I liked it. Also, yes, there are plenty of factual errors in it and it's unlikely that the Priory of Sion is anything more than an elaborate hoax, but from the research I've done, the farther back in time you go the more accurate it seems to get ;p

TheAbominatrix
02-12-2005, 11:52 PM
There's a lot more proof about the Bible Code than about this book. A <i>lot</i> more. *watched a thing on the history channel about it the other day, is awesome*

I do like the ideas presented by The Da Vinci Code, fictional though they may be, but I couldnt read the book. It was terribly written. I couldnt get past the first chapter. I was confused for a moment, when I remember this was on the best seller list. Then I remembered it was <i>on the best seller list</i>, which is usually full of bad written claptrap.

Seriously though, I do like the ideas.

eestlinc
02-13-2005, 03:35 AM
I thought it was a pretty good diversionary read for a few days. I really dislike organized religion so I was rather into to mythology of the book. The parts about Constantine and the construction of the Bible are basically true (as much as anyone can know after all this time).

It isn't well written in the way Faulkner is well written, but who the hell can sit down and read Faulkner is a couple days? The book servees its purpose very well.

Yamaneko
02-13-2005, 03:41 AM
I rather read a good history book. In fact I'm doing that right now. The Da Vinci Code is nothing more than popular fiction.

I saw that show on the History Channel as well. I couldn't stand that lady that talked about the sacred feminine all the way through that show.

TheAbominatrix
02-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Yeah, but Palahniuk is well written and his books can be read in a day or two. It really just has to do with an author's style, even sometimes when the book is the same size. Writers like Tolkein and Hunter Thompson, for example, have slower styles, not neccesarily more wordy, but just slower. They take longer to read.

I got the gist of the book from my boyfriend, and I loved the Constantine thing. I love the subject matter, but I'd rather deal with it without the little story in there, if that makes any sense.

Rasputen
02-13-2005, 03:46 AM
Took me six hours to read it in the end, what a terrible book it was.
Seriously, is there really any need to finish every chapter with some stupidly contrived cliffhanger? Is there really any need to resort to the hackneyed English tally-ho lapsed aristocrat character that American thriller writers seem obsessed with? And can Dan Brown not write a chapter any longer than four pages?

I felt dropkicking it into a burning skip. Actually, scratch that, I felt like dropkicking Dan Brown into a burning skip.

Silmaril
02-13-2005, 01:33 PM
The art and the history was good and all but the ending was sheer stupidity.

Ezme
02-13-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, I liked it. I think its like anything else you will ever read. Take any news paper, you have to learn to be able to define truth from fiction or exagerated truth at that. When i have to time I'd like to do a bit of reasearch on it and find out how much is fact for myself rather than be told this and that but i just dont have to time at the moment.

Rainecloud
02-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Far too predictable, but still moderately entertaining.

m4tt
02-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Meh, I thought it was awesome. It normally takes me a week or two to finish a book. Only took me a few days because I couldn't put it down. Angels and Demons (the book before this one) was even better. I read that in one day of almost non stop reading.

The Summoner of Leviathan
02-13-2005, 04:56 PM
I am not done reading it yet, but I love the symbolizism. Reminds me a little of "Mists of Avalon". I could see the whole Sofia=Wisdom thing in like chapter two or three. When I read that was similar to Sophie's name, I was no really? But yes there is the Priory of Sion, I dunno what it is, but it does exist. The whole divine proportion thing is true too. I like it so far too. Though I kind figured out Fache was the Teaher, come on he is a chauvenistic pig. I find it interesting though, I love Goddess symbols. It's interesting, a good book that mentions a lot of symbols is "Dancing in the Flames" *forgets authors* That is one of the reasons why I knew half of the symbols anyways. BTW I looked at "The Last Supper" and the person to the right if Christ (his right) does look like a girl. Imagine if it wasn't mostly fiction? But he did do his research, and you can't take that away, same as in "Mists of Avalon" Bradley researched Gardiner Wiccan rituals and such for her novels. So like the preceeding posts to this one. We have to use our judgemnet to distinguish between fact and fiction.

Skogs
02-13-2005, 10:39 PM
It was a good page-turner, but I don't see what all the hype was about.

o_O
02-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Meh, I thought it was awesome. It normally takes me a week or two to finish a book. Only took me a few days because I couldn't put it down. Angels and Demons (the book before this one) was even better. I read that in one day of almost non stop reading.

I agree. I absolutely loved it; I think Dan Brown is a genius.

The book was based on theory, so it's not entirely untrue. It merely presents the long-lost Pagan take on Christianity. And the book only states the descriptions of locations and buildings to be accurate, it doesn't profess to be factual, story-wise.

Miriel
02-13-2005, 11:47 PM
I agree. I absolutely loved it; I think Dan Brown is a genius.

The book was based on theory, so it's not entirely untrue. It merely presents the long-lost Pagan take on Christianity. And the book only states the descriptions of locations and buildings to be accurate, it doesn't profess to be factual, story-wise.

*picks a nit*

Actually, even his descriptions of artwork, architecture, secret rituals and such aren't all too accurate.

The more I think about this book, the less I like it. I remember that when I got to the part about Disney, and Little Mermaid I actually put down the book and laughed at the stupidity of it all.

I'm fairly good with the whole "suspension of disbelief" thing, but this was just pure nonsense.

Optium
02-14-2005, 01:17 AM
Angels and Demons was better, though the Da Vinci Code was good.
Angels and Demons is Langdon's first adventure. When they talk about
his "adventure in Rome last year" (or is it 2 years ago?) in the Da Vinci
Code, they're talking about Angels and Demons. The art in A&D was
amazing too. Read it and you'll see what I mean. A&D had like 10 times
more plot twists and was much more interesting to read. It's about the
Illuminati and the church...and anti-matter! And explosions! And hot chicks
in short shorts!

.opt

The Captain
02-14-2005, 05:37 AM
I haven't read it, but you know the book is a success when Tom Hanks and Ron Howard are gearing up for the movie version and the book has been on the Bestsellers list for nearly 2 years, something only Harry Potter has done.

Take care all.

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
02-14-2005, 06:45 AM
I seriously didnt know about this book until my friend gave it to me and told me to read it...didnt know about the hype or anything....quite entertaining though...Liked the whole mystery and the whole deciphering symbols!

hmmm i was thinking of reading "Angels and Demons"! hmmmm i might pick it up one day!

o_O
02-14-2005, 01:04 PM
*picks a nit*

Actually, even his descriptions of artwork, architecture, secret rituals and such aren't all too accurate.

*picks a nit* :p

Why do you say that? Upon researching the architecture and landmarks described in the book (ones that I hadn't actually seen before :p), I was surprised at how accurately I had envisaged them based only upon Brown's description.
I thought the perceptions presented upon Virgin of the Rocks and The Last Supper were valid as they've been the subject of debate for centuries, and the works were certainly described accurately. :p
I don't really know anything about ancient Pagan rites, so I can't argue for Brown when it comes to Sun Dances and whatnot.

Do note though, that it never says that anything other than artwork and architecture is accurately represented. :p

Optium
02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Angels and Demons use monuments and places in Rome much more, there's
a lot more movement in the book and people have followed Langdon's
trail through Rome by reading the book...it's pretty sick.

.opt

The Man
02-14-2005, 08:55 PM
I have to agree here; Angels and Demons was, in fact, a better book, all around, than The Da Vinci Code. However, I found the mythology of The Da Vinci Code to be more powerful ;p

I'm really looking forward to his next book. Anyone know when it's coming out?

The Captain
02-14-2005, 09:00 PM
To the best of my knowledge:

Dan Brown's "The Solomon Key" is due out sometime in early summer 2005.

Take care all.

The Man
02-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Excellent. Thanks for the info.

Ezme
02-18-2005, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the tip for angels and demons! I'm about 100 pages in and its really good! I do physics and philosophy in 6th form so i find it particularly interesting. yay, anybody know anything about deception point or digital fortress?

Ezme
02-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Oh my God! Angels and Demons rocks! i thought it was ok, you know a reasonable absorbing book but I now think its brilliant! i'm biut 400 pages in and wow, the camerlagos speach and the fewchapters afterward are, well wow. so cool. :exdee:

m4tt
02-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Deception Point and Digital Fortress are also good books. I read them both a few months ago.

Optium
02-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Oh my God! Angels and Demons rocks! i thought it was ok, you know a reasonable absorbing book but I now think its brilliant! i'm biut 400 pages in and wow, the camerlagos speach and the fewchapters afterward are, well wow. so cool. :exdee:
Word man...by the end I was just like AHHH!! HEAD EXPLODING!

.opt

Ezme
02-25-2005, 04:44 PM
I finshed it! wow! that has such a cool ending! wow