'el crimen del padre amaro'

uruguayan
'25 watts'

spanish
'lucía y el sexo' (sex and lucía)
'hable con ella' (talk to her)
'no somos nadie' (god is on the air)

argentinian
'esperando al mesias' (waiting for the messaiah)

puertorican (these aren't foreing for me...)
'12 horas'
'vampiros'
'héroes de otra patria'

my favorites are all the spanish movies, 'y tu mamá también' , '25 watts' and '12 horas'. the last one is hard to find even here. so, how 'bout you?

jrgen
02-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Great Britain: Life of Brian, Holy Grail and other Monthy Python stuff.
USA: Tarantino's movies, the Matrix trilogy, Fight Club etc.

Leeza
02-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah, that's about it for me as well. :)

I don't like to watch anything that requires subtitles no matter how good the film is.

NM
02-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Battle Royale. Which is Japanese. If you havn't seen it I recommend you do.

Rool
02-14-2005, 08:09 PM
I love good foreign flicks:

Battle Royale
Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Blind Swordsman Zatoichi
House of the Flying Daggers
Amelie
Casshern (i've seen it with no subs, i just made up my own plot, really cool scenery)

The New Kid
02-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Open Your Eyes is an excellent, excellent foreign film. It spawned a remake (the crappy Vanilla Sky), but the original is still the best. It seems like a romance-type film, but it turns out to be more of a "Matrix-esque" film. The twist at the end is amazing.

Neurotic
02-15-2005, 04:17 PM
I've seen a pretty good share of foreign flicks...Excluding the anime I watch. Mostly Chinese and Japanese...but some other stuff mixed in.

Battle Royale (good movie, but disapointing...because the novel was brilliant.)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Hero (Long before it came to theaters here.)
Brotherhood of the Wolf
The Mean Machine
Snatch ( I THINK this is British)
Zatoichi: The Blind Swordsman (Beat Takeshi fans rejoice.)
Tokyo Raiders
Monty Python & The Holy Grail
The Life of Brian
Shaun of the Dead
Infernal Affairs (Re-making this for America with Matt Damon..it might be good.)
I've seen more...but I'm not gonna sit here and put them all XD

jrgen
02-15-2005, 08:03 PM
I don't like to watch anything that requires subtitles no matter how good the film is.
Why?
It's not like you're missing anything in the movie while you're reading.

boris no no
02-15-2005, 08:12 PM

wow. i never really thorght that monty pythons classed as foriegn....but it is! weird (to me that is)

amilie
crouching tiger hidden dragon
house of flying daggers :love: best film i've seen all year
.....thats about it... i am uncultured i know.

i'd like to see that motercycle diarys thing...just because it won so many baftas...

Miriel
02-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I watch a lot of Korean movies, but those aren't exactly foreign to me. Favorites:

Old Boy - Korean
Taegukgi - Korean
My Sassy Girl - Korean
Run Lola Run - German
Maria Full of Grace - Spanish
A Sea Inside - Spanish
Amelie - French
Seven Samurai - Japanese
Grave of the Fireflies - Japanese

jrgen
02-15-2005, 09:06 PM
wow. i never really thorght that monty pythons classed as foriegn....but it is! weird (to me that is)
Humans don't necessarily live in english speaking countries.

Itsunari 2000
02-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Hmm , lets see ...

The Warrior
Infernal Affairs ( still to see the sequels and the Hollywood remake)
Hero
House of Flying Daggers

Leeza
02-15-2005, 11:38 PM
Why?
It's not like you're missing anything in the movie while you're reading.
Yes I am. I'm missing all of the scenery shots. :)

Neurotic
02-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Grave of the Fireflies

That movie made me cry. Insanely.

I believe it's Japanese, though.

Miriel
02-16-2005, 01:53 AM
That movie made me cry. Insanely.

I believe it's Japanese, though.

Not all the movies on my list are Korean...maybe I shoulda clarified.

But yes, Grave of the Fireflies is one of the most heartwrenching movies I've ever seen. It haunted me for days after watching it. :(

krissy
02-16-2005, 04:58 AM
Yes I am. I'm missing all of the scenery shots. :)
gotta be careful with that tunnel vision inside a tv

run lola run
the princess and the warrior

illuminated
02-16-2005, 06:13 AM
French:
Amelie
Jeux d'enfants (Love me if you dare)
Les Choristes
Le Papillon
A La Folie

German:
Goodbye Lenin

Japanese:
Dark Water
The Ring
Battle Royale

Hmm I just observed something...it's interesting that British films are considered foreign, coz err i've never considered them to be one, although their industry produced a good many movies :)

Dking'squeen
02-16-2005, 06:36 AM
i have a stack of chinese movies like Mushu*i think*, the duel, once upon a time in china, dragon inn, and some others that are really good. i love them, esspecially with the subtitles because it forces me to read and watch at the same time

The Captain
02-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Foreign, of course, depends on where one is from, so for me, "foreign" films are those made outside of the USA:

Bridge On The River Kwai - Perhaps the greatest war character study ever made, and one of the greatest epics of all time. The performances capture both the intensity and the madness that IS war.

Lawrence Of Arabia - The greatest epic film ever made. Along with Kwai, Lean's masterpieces. His patience for the shots and unflinching view of the action, or stillness make this film a step above all others, not because of plot or story, but because of the overwhelming visual mastery, the likes of which are only topped by, in my opinion, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - From the instant the warriors take flight, this film captured my imagination, the marriage of poetry of images with grace and the overwhelming meditation on life dazzle me to this day.

Princess Mononoke - In much the same way as CTHD, this film dazzles and delights me, more because the full power of imagination is on display and yet, it still takes time for quiet philosophy as it tries to grapple with life and love.

LOTR Trilogy - This generation's greatest epic, the likes of which will probably never be seen again either. To me, they must always be judged as one single movie, broken down into three parts, and not three seperate films.

Talk To Her - A favorite of mine because I adore the director, Pedro Almodóvar. His use of color and understanding of the subtle aspects to the world are second to none. He truly is one of the best directors working today in my opinion.

Monty Python And The Holy Grail - The Holy Grail of Comedy, second to none in its inspiration, execution, and absurdity. Generations will still be quoting this film even a 100 years from now.

Take care all.

Dking'squeen
02-16-2005, 07:08 AM
had i had known, i would have said LOTR and Princess Mononoke too! and Kiki's delivery service and Spirited Away

Kenji
02-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Japanese:
Yomigaeri: Resurrection
Zatoichi
Ringu
One Missed Call
Seven Samurai
Spirited Away
The Twilight Samurai
Shall We Dance? (US tries once again to remake a Japanese hit.)
Taboo
The Eel

Chinese:
Barefoot Kid (one of the first Chinese movies I've seen)
House of Flying Daggers
Ju Dou
Young and Dangerous Series
The Road Home

I also watched my very first Thai film.
It's called Shutter. It follows the road of horror movies like The Ring, Grudge, One Missed Call..
It's not really a good movie but I'll give it some merit for trying to be like the Ring, although it doesn't reach the peak like its counter-parts.

If you liked Grave of Fireflies.. try She, The Final Weapon
It's abit too emotional though..

Resha
02-16-2005, 12:14 PM
I watch Indian movies, sometimes. They're really very nice!!! Me likes! :) I don't usually watch Korean or Japanese films coz...they scary. ;_;

The Groom
02-17-2005, 04:10 PM
KK - apart from all the obvious american films. eg - LOTR. etc...

i have watched and loved...

Versus - Japan
Battle Royal 1 & 2 - Japan
Ring - Japan
Audition - Japan
Shogun assasin - Japan
Once we're warriors -Austrailia
Merials Wedding - Austrailia (What a great film)
Zatoichi - Japan

Oh - and some French film called 'IRREVERSIBLE' which i reccomend to anyone with a strong stomach. This film is so powerful if a little sick. Infact i wouldnt watch this film unless you are fully prepared to have a major shock - After i watched it, i couldnt stop thinking about it for nearly a week. And now, when i talk about it - i sometimes feel physically sick. But it's still a wicked film. great acting.

radyk05
02-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Snatch ( I THINK this is British)
man, that movie is awesome. i can't believe i forgot about it. yes, it is british.

fire_of_avalon
02-18-2005, 11:15 PM
Lots and lots and lots and lots.