PDA

View Full Version : Question about the gears in Xenogears (spoilers)

Erdrick Holmes
02-12-2005, 09:31 PM
As you know of, Gears are giant robots that were dug up from ruins that are hundreds of years old. As we can see in the game, the Yggdrisel, Avah, etc have tons of robots at their disposal for their armies. My question is, are all Gears dug up in ruins or is it possible for Ethos to build its own gears and only the really powerful/unique ones dug up, like Welltal.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-12-2005, 09:35 PM
It's certainly possible for Gears to be produced in the modern era. The most outstanding example I can think of is that Grahf had Weltall manufactured specifically to be used by Fei.

DocFrance
02-12-2005, 09:37 PM
I don't think so, because all the gears in the world, aside from Xenogears, draw their power from the Zohar Modifier and the Wave Existence. I think the ability to create the device that draws this power was lost when the Eldridge crashed. They may be able to build a gear frame around the device, though.

Doomgaze
02-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Only Shevat and Solaris are still capable of making gears, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure everything else comes from the Ethos.

EDIT: Doc, I think those might have been developed in the Zeboim era, but I'm not sure.

Roogle
02-12-2005, 11:56 PM
I think a lot of the gears that the enemy forces use at the beginning came from Gebler, right?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-12-2005, 11:58 PM
The majority of the Solarian forces you fight in the game are from Gebler, sure.

DocFrance
02-13-2005, 01:30 AM
The majority of the Solarian forces you fight in the game are from Gebler, sure.
Thank you, Captain Obvious.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-13-2005, 01:33 AM
An obvious answer for an obvious question.

Banned.

Jojee
02-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Well I disagree. =| I don't think they're from Gebler. I think they they only appear to be from Gebler in order to enhance the storyline.

DocFrance
02-13-2005, 03:04 AM
No, they're from Solaris. I think we went over this already.

Erdrick Holmes
02-14-2005, 03:22 PM
Well, that still puzzles me. Because the world of Xenogears has tons of advanced Technology and what I'm hearing isthat nobody ever builds these giant mechs, the just dig them up?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-15-2005, 04:35 AM
The Diabolos Gears were originally housed in Merkava, which was part of the Eldridge. The rest of the Gears were developed by the Zeboim civilization. And then there are Gears like Weltall, that weren't dug up at all but manufactured in the modern era.

Doomgaze
02-15-2005, 05:03 AM
Keep in mind Joel's very early in the game.

Joel - Nearly all advanced technology you see comes from the Ethos and Solaris, ok?

Roogle
02-15-2005, 06:24 AM

My, my, aren't we clever! I haven't played the game in five years, so I actually wasn't that sure where the civilian gears that Aveh had and all the military gears Kislev used came from.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Bart and his sand pirate crew use Gears they dug up themselves. Shakhan is supplied by the Ethos, and Kislev is assisted by Solaris.

DocFrance
02-15-2005, 06:55 AM
Actually, Bart and his crew use gears that they pirated (go figure!) from Aveh and Kislev. Old Maison said so right after the Stalactite Cave episode.

And since Ethos is just a front for Solaris's Soylent Process and M-Experiment, then both Kislev and Aveh are supplied by the Holy Empire, meaning that Solaris is simply manipulating the war to its will.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-15-2005, 07:02 AM

It is stated, though, that at least Brigandier and Heimdall were excavated.