PDA

View Full Version : Blue screen of death

Jojee
02-13-2005, 07:01 AM
I've been getting this more and more often, so I figure I should post this. It happened three times today.

Blue screen of death comes up, I have no idea what it says because there's a bunch of text on it and my computer just dies after one second of showing it :P Anyway, computer restarts.

I get the "Your computer has just recovered from a fatal system error" popup. I click on the report to Microsoft button and it takes me to a website which says "This error was caused by a driver device" or something like that. It tells me to remember if I've installed any drivers recently, but I really can't remember, since the blue screen's been coming up quite a bit before... just not as often.

:) Anyway is there any way I can check which drivers are installed on my computer and delete the ones I don't need? Or is there any other way I can fix this?

Gah, can't get this computer stuff for the life of me...

Luc
02-13-2005, 07:40 AM
That happened to my brother a lot. He didn't know what the problem was, but he got a new processor, and the "Blue screen of death" doesn't show up anymore. I'm not sure of any other possible way to fix it, but that's how he did it.

Good luck trying to fix it, though. :)

Endless
02-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Right click on "My Computer", properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery > settings -> uncheck "automatically restart", and you'll have time to read what is causing the BSOD.

Look for Cid's thread in this forum, he had BSODs problems too, so check if any of it can help.

NM
02-13-2005, 06:07 PM
Chances are something winth-in Windows is corrupt. You could trying "System Restore" if your running Windows ME or XP. Goto Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tool's > System Restore. Choose the option to restore to an earlier date and you'll get a screen with a calander on it. Any date in bold is a restore point. If you click on the date it will show you what was installed at the time.

Chances are though that it won't work as system restore is as much use as a car with no engine.

I'd recommend you back up anything you want to keep format your hard drive and re-install Windows. If you get the same problem after doing that i'd say you have a faulty piece of hardware.

Mirage
02-13-2005, 08:37 PM
A complete reinstall might be a simple and quick solution. Sure, it's most likely possible to fix the problem, but that might take longer than reinstalling everything.
Oh, and if you decide to reinstall, I recommend making a separate partition for the operating system. Doing that makes it much much easier and quicker to reinstall it later.

crono_logical
02-13-2005, 09:03 PM
If you reinstall fresh and it still happens, it could also be that you happened to install the same problematic device driver. If that happens though, you should know this time round what it is, since you should have taken note of what drivers you were installing :p

Hawkeye
02-13-2005, 11:39 PM
INstalling it fersh is not always the best thing to do. Just make sure you put all your driver downloads into a CD or floopy and such if you plan on wiping out your system. The fool of a took i was, I totally forgot about it, and was stuck without internet for about 4 months, because I couldnt understand why my computer wasnt reading my modem.

Jojee
02-16-2005, 08:28 PM
sounds painful, hawk xD

Erm... yeah... reinstall... not willing to do that. T_T I just did it a month ago. It took me forever to reinstall it and also put everything back on my computer.

I'll try the thing with no auto-restart and see how that goes :|

Thanks babes <3