PDA

View Full Version : The Kain Connection

Fredde
02-13-2005, 11:34 AM
Did anyone else notice that in the GBA version of FFII, the kid in the Dragoon's castle is named Kain? Is this just a funny reference, or does it imply that FFII and FFIV are set in the same world, and that the Kain of FFIV is the son of the FFII Richard?

TheAbominatrix
02-13-2005, 11:38 AM
It has to be a reference, simply because of the state of the world of II. Does the world of IV look anything like it? Not that I can see. None of those Kingdoms are in existance in the world of IV. There's too much difference and not enough time elapsed (if he's the son, then it would have to be... what, 10 years?) for it be the same world.

Destai
02-13-2005, 11:40 AM
just another of Squares references. Even if they're in the same world they wouldnt take place a year or so after each other. Square doesnt play it that way. Thered be about a 1,000 years in between or something like that. They often make several references to Kain anyway , Kains Lance is a weapon that makes several appearances in the series.

Flashback007
02-13-2005, 06:28 PM
Probarly indeed a reference. I don't know if the orginal name of the kid in the NES-version of FFII was Kain. It can easily be a reference to FFIV that only appears in Dawn of Souls. So are there more reference in Dawn of Souls that aren't there before.

DJZen
02-13-2005, 07:25 PM
If I recall correctly, there was never any mentioning of the kid's name at all in the original. They just kinda threw it in for tradition's sake. Sorta like how FFI DoS mentions that the airship was created by Cid.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-13-2005, 07:37 PM
They also threw in the fact that Richard's last name is Highwind. Other characters bearing this name in the series include Cain Highwind (FFIV), Alexander Highwind Tycoon (FFV), and Cid Highwind (FFVII). Both Cain and Cid are Dragon Knight-type characters, and King Tycoon at least has a horned helmet. Since Richard was the first Dragon Knight to appear in a Final Fantasy game, it was appropriate to retroactively fit him with this name.

Destai
02-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Maybe Square has a grand vision where all the games take place in the same world, with a fistful of centuries between each game? They made a seriously strong suggestion to it in X-2 and VII. Maybe each new game will continue revealing as the series draws to a close?

DJZen
02-14-2005, 01:38 AM
Nah, it's just fanservice.

JuandiegoMoogleLord
02-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Also in DoS, but inside the extra dungeon lifeSprings grotto, the dancing girls (I hope somebody knows what I am talking about...kupo...if not go check it out!!) mention another new remake FF reference. In this case, they say something about "Theatre Troupe Tantalus" and the song "I Want to be Your Canary" that appear in FFIX. This, again, is just to keep us fans who notice such thigs, kupo, happy... Square has been doing that always and I think that it stands as an important reason of why the series have been so popular with lifetime-long fans.

Crossblades
03-04-2005, 04:10 PM
I honeslty believe that it's a reference. But it's cool though because Square Enix is trying to tell us that all FFs are tied together somehow.
Kain being the son of Richard? That's cool

TheAbominatrix
03-04-2005, 04:12 PM
And what about all the evidence to the contrary, that it would be impossible for Kain to be Richard's son?

Crossblades
03-04-2005, 04:17 PM
What do you mean?

TheAbominatrix
03-04-2005, 04:20 PM
I've stated it before in this thread.

How could the world change so much in so little time? The world map of II looks nothing like the world map of IV. The villages and castles in II do not exist in IV. If Kain was Richard's son, the most time that could have past would be 20 years. And that's being liberal. How could a world change so much in 20 years? It doesnt fit. The world of IV is completly different and seperate from the world of II. If it were the same world, it would take millions of years to change so drastically, or a big event... but regardless, it all amounts to the fact that the times dont add up for Kain to be Richard's son.

edit - and by Kain, I mean Kain Highwind of IV. Yes, Richard's son is named Kain. He's not Kain Highwind, however.

DocFrance
03-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Well, techncally he is Kain Highwind, just not the Kain Highwind from FFIV.

TheAbominatrix
03-04-2005, 06:13 PM
Smart ass xP

<3

Crossblades
03-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Well it is possible for a world in 20 years. FF II has a town named Mysidia and so does FF IV. Coincidence? I think not.

TheAbominatrix
03-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Reference? I think so.

Because one town has the same name doesnt negate the rest of the facts.

DocFrance
03-04-2005, 10:53 PM
FFIV has the Bab-il tower, and Xenogears has the Babel tower, right? OMGZ liek ttly teh same wurld!!

Smart ass xP

<3
It's better than being a dumb ass ;)

Crossblades
03-04-2005, 11:35 PM
FFIV has the Bab-il tower, and Xenogears has the Babel tower, right? OMGZ liek ttly teh same wurld!!

It's better than being a dumb ass ;)

It's two different spellings.

DocFrance
03-05-2005, 12:55 AM
So are Kain and Cain.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-05-2005, 12:59 AM
edit - and by Kain, I mean Kain Highwind of IV. Yes, Richard's son is named Kain. He's not Kain Highwind, however.Cain in FFII is the child of some deceased Dragon Knight, not of Richard.

TheAbominatrix
03-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Cain in FFII is the child of some deceased Dragon Knight, not of Richard.

... YOU KNOW WHAT I MEANT WHATEVER xD

You and Doc are going to be castrated. Possibly by me. Dont bug me when I'm le tired ;_;

My POINT is that FFII K/Cain and FFIV K/Cain are not the same le person. Yes.

BuzzSaw
03-08-2005, 04:34 AM
This argument could go on forever...

I got to thinking well...
FFI did have time travel and in FFVI the world changed in the course of about a year. Maybe they don't all take place in the same world but what about the same galaxy (kinda like Phantasy Star)?
The Mysidians could have used the Great Whale to go to another planet (ie IV) and Kain was smuggled onboard?
I know I'm reaching but whose to say Square won't try some similar scheme to get the green?
I think the name Highwind is to
reference that they are Dragoons.
Also isn't the Tower of Babel in just about every Adventure Game/RPG out there?

TheAbominatrix
03-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Yes, but if there was an event that big in either world, wouldnt we have heard about it/seen it paid out.

And there is, of course, the fact that Kain was an added reference for the re-releases, and not in the original.

Babel is referenced a lot, yes, but it's a Biblical reference and all.

Fredde
03-08-2005, 06:32 PM
If they're set in the same place, I don't think it's the same solar system. Doesn't FFIV end with a view of the solar system? Also, good 'ol Sephiroth from FFVII has an attack that uses most of the solar system (in that game, the planets have the same names as in our solar system. Jupiter, Mars, the whole shebang). If (and this a very shaky if) they're set in the same place, it would probably just be the same universe or something.

DarkLadyNyara
03-08-2005, 10:47 PM
I think Square just likes making references to other games in the series. There is a Garland in I and IX, for example, and a Cid in every game exept I. Though it would be interesting if they were conected. :D

TheAbominatrix
03-08-2005, 11:17 PM
IX is overflowing with references to past FF games.

(CECIL120X
03-07-2006, 11:16 PM
this is what i think that all final fantasys are a huge collectine of great rpgs but are all in diffrent worlds with overlapping characters.:mad:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, techncally he is Kain Highwind, just not the Kain Highwind from FFIV.No, because he isn't Richard's son.

Also, this thread is crazy old. Jeez!