PDA

View Full Version : The "Bad Boy"

The Captain
02-14-2005, 05:06 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050213/ap_on_bi_ge/bad_boy_truck

Thoughts?

This boggled my mind:

"For $750,000, buyers can get the fully loaded "NBC" version that can, Ayres said, detect and block out fallout from nuclear, biological and chemical weapons by over-pressurizing the cab with filtered, clean air much like an aircraft."

Take care all.

Yamaneko
02-14-2005, 05:09 AM
I guess they took that Super Bowl commercial seriously.

TheAbominatrix
02-14-2005, 05:14 AM
I cant wait to have the yuppies driving that one down the paved streets of suburbia.

Utterly ridiculous.

Yamaneko
02-14-2005, 05:16 AM
But soccer moms need room for their two kids and groceries too. :(

The Captain
02-14-2005, 05:26 AM
Perhaps this will replace duct tape as the "Must-have" item to fend off terrorism now.

Take care all.

Dr Unne
02-14-2005, 05:30 AM
That's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a while. Thanks for the laugh. :)

The Captain
02-14-2005, 05:32 AM
My pleasure, anything for the good doctor.

Gas Companies must be chomping at the bit for the release of this fuel guzzler.

Take care all.

edczxcvbnm
02-14-2005, 05:36 AM
My local Fox station did a report on this "truck" about 4 months ago...I think. Anyways I think they said it gets 8 miles to the gallon.

Yamaneko
02-14-2005, 05:41 AM
It has to. That's the minimum requirement for it to be street legal.

The Captain
02-14-2005, 05:43 AM
It's sad when a vehicle is meeting the MINIMUM requirement instead of the maximum in this age of pollution and over the top fuel consumption.

Take care all.

TheAbominatrix
02-14-2005, 05:49 AM
We're just not 'think outside the box' kinda people, guys. The article says it's for them. We're so boring *cry*

edczxcvbnm
02-14-2005, 05:50 AM
I did not know that there was a minimum. I personally didn't think it was possible to get 8 to the gallon with todays technology. Maybe it is just me but if I am spending near 3/4th a million on a "car" or "truck" it had better get 100 miles to the gallon as a minimum.

The Captain
02-14-2005, 05:52 AM
Agreed Ed.

All in all, this is just another case of "Bigger Is Better" for those who have issues with themselves as people and need things to fill the void or to make them feel better.

Take care all.

Rase
02-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Where do I buy it?

Behold the Void
02-14-2005, 06:17 AM
So let me get this straight. While our soldiers in Iraq are strapping scraps to their vehicles in an attempt to armor them, the people back in the mainland who's greatest concern is probably hitting a pothole in the road are getting NBC armored vehicles? Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this?

fire_of_avalon
02-14-2005, 06:18 AM
Sometimes, even my faith in humanity gets shaken. This is one of those times.

I hate stupid people.

The Captain
02-14-2005, 06:19 AM
Just consider saving money and not spending it on needless ego boosters the lastest casualty of war.

Take care all.

Hawkeye
02-14-2005, 06:32 AM
One word: stupid

or maybe its the people who buy them...

Behold the Void
02-14-2005, 06:33 AM
And we wonder why most other countries think Americans are arrogant.

Rainecloud
02-14-2005, 07:24 AM
It can block fallout from nuclear weapons? Wow, that's great.

Rye
02-14-2005, 11:30 AM
xD That really is ridiculous.

The Captain
02-14-2005, 08:57 PM
To me, the mere fact that time, resources, and energy was spent on this shows how out of whack our society's priorities are in some aspects.

Take care all.

Loony BoB
02-14-2005, 09:26 PM
60 degrees? Are they serious? They can get that thing to go 60 degrees? Is there something about cars I don't understand? Am I reading that wrong, does it mean something different? Because if they can get that monster to climb up a 60 degree slope then that's an accomplishment in itself.

Either way, I say good on them for making it. They've been more productive than I've been over the past couple of years.

Dr.K
02-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I'd rather spend my money on something more immediately required by my everyday needs.

Agent Proto
02-14-2005, 10:15 PM
You guys are <strike>dumb</strike>out of your minds to think that this giant truck like this will be on the road everywhere.

In fact, no, that's not the case. I don't think it will be, but yeah. I don't see a Hummer every day, but I know there are a few. Anyway, I can see this truck be in use, by people who owns a small company to transport goods to a place in as large quantity as the truck could handle. I don't see this truck likely to be used by your average joe, who's probably rich enough to afford one. First, off, why would an average joe need one when a company that transports stuff could use it?

Lindy
02-14-2005, 10:28 PM
"Ayres said he isn't playing on post-Sept. 11 fears by offering the NBC option."

I, for one, agree with him totally, one hundred percent, possibly more even.

TheAbominatrix
02-14-2005, 10:41 PM
I see at least one hummer everyday in my city. Everyday. I live in a very rich area (well, an area surrounded by heavily rich areas) and I can almost garuntee I'll start seeing these things very soon.

It's not about the use people have for it. It's about the status they get while driving it. Which suburban family has use for a hummer? None, really. Who at all has use for spinning tire rims, and all those other 'hey look at me' accessories. No one. But they buy them anyway. And I can almost garuntee I'll see one of these, at the very least when I visit Beverly Hills.

Agent Proto
02-14-2005, 10:49 PM
That's true, you may see some buy the Bad Boy just for the image, but over here, I see the vehicle has value for certain businesses that could use it to transport goods, parts, etc. Many small businesses have to rent trucks, and usually the rents add up. I see that they can use the Bad Boy, and get away with it, because it's part of their business. Would the Bad Boy be used just for fun, maybe, but it'll be hard to park one in a normal parking lot, or going to/fro work/home.

TheAbominatrix
02-14-2005, 11:03 PM
That's true, but the business would have to be pretty well off to buy the thing. Even with base price, it's as much as a small house. It'd be very useful to business who live in perhaps more rural areas, where they have to go to and from without paved roads. Your average packing truck cant do that.

I think it really just depends on how much this is hyped, and who we see driving them. If we see, for example, Governer Terminator buying one, I could easily see an explosion of business in a lot of areas.

For parking it, that could be difficult. But it's done everyday for those who personally own semi trucks for business, so it could be easily done I think, if someone wants it bad enough.

eestlinc
02-15-2005, 12:49 AM
I remember seeing not too long ago that Intercontinental (who makes semi-truck cabs) was making a gigantic consumer model super truck which was about the size of this piece.

Destai
02-15-2005, 01:31 AM
:laugh: