PDA

View Full Version : FFxi

ruby azaryth
02-14-2005, 03:27 PM
I am planning on buying Final Fantasy 11, and I was wondering if it was any good. Can anybody give me more information than I already have by reviews?

Roogle
02-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Like what?

I Don't Need A Name
02-14-2005, 05:54 PM
also is it on PS2?

Roogle
02-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Yes, it's on PS2.

abrojtm
02-15-2005, 03:41 AM
It's on PS2 and PC, but in order to play on a PS2 you have to buy a hard-drive for your PS2 and hook your PS2 up to the internet. That means you can't use the "newer, slimmer PS2" to play FFXI. Also there's a (about) $15.00 subscription fee to play the game (+ $5.00 per extra character). If there's any other info you'd like, you should do a search for some reviews.

Miriel
02-15-2005, 04:12 AM
It's $12.95 a month and only an additional $1.00 for extra characters.

Is it any good? Well I like it, and my tastes are impeccable. ;)

I Don't Need A Name
02-19-2005, 07:24 PM
U cant just buy it normally 4 PS2 without any other things! That SUCKS!

Destai
02-19-2005, 08:29 PM
Well its not a normal PS2 game so doesnt really suck, does it. Probably better on pc though I havent played it on PS2.

I Don't Need A Name
02-19-2005, 08:54 PM
well it probebly doesnt suck but PCs can have things wrong with them and u have 2 install the games and...etc also sometimes the internet sometimes doesnt work!

Rostum
02-19-2005, 10:53 PM
well it probebly doesnt suck but PCs can have things wrong with them and u have 2 install the games and...etc also sometimes the internet sometimes doesnt work!

You know, PS2 version also uses the internet. Anyways, you probably just have a really crappy PC if it doesn't work sometimes, get with the times. =P

Vaprice
02-20-2005, 12:26 AM
Seeing the differences from PC to PS2 PC's graphics are incredibly better than PS2! And if you do buy the game for PS2 you do get a hard drive. But sometimes the music does skip but later on the music in teh game will make you wanna scream around the fountain in windy! ^^

Thought there are some good things about PS2 the controls I think are easier. But PC it just takes a bit of time to remember which finger goes where and what that button does. But the PC is much more convenient for keyboard and etc.

Rostum
02-20-2005, 02:27 AM
Yeah, I find the keyboard to have much easier control than a controler. Mainly because there are so many functions to use. I use my fingers on the numpad (to move the character) and use my thumb on the arrow keys (to move the camera), and have my left hand based around the tab and CTRL+Function keys.

I think the reason why the PC is better, is due to the high resolutions of the screen and texture mapping. But other than that the limitations come from the PS2. Still up there in graphics though.

Vaprice
02-20-2005, 03:31 AM
Being a PS2 player the controller and keyboard is just annoying to bother with somewhat....havin gto switch back and forth between them to do actions and do emoitons and write kinda distracting.

But I like how you can just press the L3 button to heal and R1 to auto run! its all good get whatever you want!

I Don't Need A Name
02-21-2005, 05:23 PM
You know, PS2 version also uses the internet. Anyways, you probably just have a really crappy PC if it doesn't work sometimes, get with the times. =P
Ive got a Windows XP Home Edition and they are not THAT old!! :mad2:

BahamutZer0
03-03-2005, 02:57 AM
Like he said: "GET WITH THE TIMES"

Having Windows XP doesn't mean that much, you have to have a good Graphic card, lots-o-memorie etc.

It bugs me that people think if they have Windows XP their computer owns the house..
My friend has Windows XP.
His computer can barely play Starcraft.

Mirage
03-03-2005, 03:53 AM
U cant just buy it normally 4 PS2 without any other things! That SUCKS!
First, while the game itself without any expansion packs might fit on one DVD, what would you do with the expansion packs? Either you'd have to change between the Initial game DVD, and a DVD containing the first or second expansion. Either that, or each expansion would have to include the initial version of the game. Second, how do you intend to update your game? MMORPGs are constantly updated very frequently. Would you like to download all updates each time you started your PS2? Not that that would work, as the PS2 doesn't have enough RAM to store them all. Third, what about a network adapter? Your PS2 can't go online without it.

Surprise, you have to install FFXI on your PS2 too. Reinstalling doesn't damage your characters anyway, tehy're stored on S-Es servers, not on your hard disk. The internet not working may very well happen on a PS2 too. If your PC doesn't work, it's a 95% chance it is a configuration problem, a problem caused by one of the users. I've got Windows XP installed for 3 years on my stationary PC. Haven't got any problems at all. That PC was also the best you could get when it was bought in late 2001, and still it can just barely play FFXI. Luckily, I bought this new laptop and use that for FFXI, as it's twice as fast as my stationary.

I think the reason why the PC is better, is due to the high resolutions of the screen and texture mapping. But other than that the limitations come from the PS2. Still up there in graphics though.
The PS2 has got texture mapping. Texture mapping is what smoothens textures so they don't look like a collection of Lego blocks when you get close. What you're probably thinking of is anti aliasing, which make smooth edges on polygons. That's something the PS2 hasn't got, and that sucks. Even the Dreamcast has got that. There is no need for a very high resolution on the PS2 either, as TVs don't support a very high resolution. However, the textures in the PS2 version are less detailed because of the insanely low amount of video RAM in the PS2. Also, the view distance is very short, so you can't see characters or monsters as far away as on the PC version.

The monthly fee is 12.95 USD, that includes one character. Additional characters cost 1 USD per month. You don't need a lot of characters though, as you can change your job for a character an unlimited number of times.

lordblazer
03-03-2005, 05:56 AM
It's on PS2 and PC, but in order to play on a PS2 you have to buy a hard-drive for your PS2 and hook your PS2 up to the internet. That means you can't use the "newer, slimmer PS2" to play FFXI. Also there's a (about) $15.00 subscription fee to play the game (+ $5.00 per extra character). If there's any other info you'd like, you should do a search for some reviews.
its only 12 bucks for me and for additional characters for me its 1 dollar.