PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to the tornado (cyclone, whatever)?

Fredde
02-14-2005, 07:39 PM
This is something that bugs me to no end. In the remakes of FFII (both the PS and the GBA), the Emperor's big, city-destroyin', people-killin' tornado (or cyclone or whatever it's called) has become pretty damn boring. In the original, the first levels in it had the heroes actually walking IN the storm itself, wading trough...uh...water(?) and only later making it to that fortress in the middle.

In the new version, the tornado-levels has just become part of the fortress itself, and the damaging water has become some dumb electric floor or something. Why is this? The inside of the tornado would've looked AWESOME with new graphics, but instead they settle for this?

Man, I sound like a whiny nerd, don't I?

Captain Maxx Power
02-14-2005, 08:00 PM
That's remakes for you. Hey, considering the fact they improved the look of the world map, town maps, dungeons, monsters, characters and animations for everything else extensively, I think the general crapiness of the tornado can be overlooked.

Fredde
02-14-2005, 08:03 PM
NO! The Tornado is all that matters! All bow down before the mighty Tornado!

Ahem.

Flashback007
02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Ok, so in the original version you walked in the storm itself. Then something bothers me. That storm destroys towns, kills people etc. But you as four ordinary heroes just can walk in it? I think that's a bit strange. That's probarly why the changed the remakes. Because now it can be made more believable.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-14-2005, 09:04 PM
It really wouldn't have made sense for the heroes to actually walk through the storm, since a. it's strong enough to demolish cities, and b. the fortress is floating high in the air--not exactly something you can walk to. They could only get away with that in the NES era because graphics weren't nearly as intelligible as they are today.

DJZen
02-14-2005, 11:50 PM
And C, they didn't walk there anyway, they flew up on the dragon.

Fredde
02-15-2005, 03:54 PM
Not realistic? They're flying on a dragon into a magical storm controlled by an evil emperor from hell who sits in a flying castle in the middle of said storm. But oh, walking in the storm is not realistic.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-15-2005, 04:00 PM
That's right.

Dragonfire
02-15-2005, 07:35 PM
seriously, fantasy RPGs have rules too. :D Yeah, they never did walk through the storm they were dropped off in the eye of the storm where the fortress is, by the Hiryuu (the dragon, wind drake, or whatever) *hates translation changes* :mad2:

Flashback007
02-16-2005, 08:55 AM
Not realistic? They're flying on a dragon into a magical storm controlled by an evil emperor from hell who sits in a flying castle in the middle of said storm. But oh, walking in the storm is not realistic.

Yup. Oh, and by the way, the emperor isn't from hell.....not yet at least

JuandiegoMoogleLord
02-16-2005, 06:43 PM
Some parts in FFII's story are kinda crappy, actually. Kupo, I mean, the emperor was powerful enough to keep such display of natural chaos destroying the world's civilization, but when you fight him, he is a real whimp who wont do anything impressive. Calling his guards and weak things like that... he should use Ultima XX on you or something cool like, kupo, that! Kefka rules.... :cry:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Ultima is the bane of the Emperor's existence. He HATES it. Meteor is more his speed.

DarkLadyNyara
02-16-2005, 06:55 PM
I mean, the emperor was powerful enough to keep such display of natural chaos destroying the world's civilization, but when you fight him, he is a real whimp who wont do anything impressive.

My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes2 Although he does make up for it in the final battal. (Especially if you don't have the blood sword.)

Flashback007
02-17-2005, 09:38 AM
My thoughts exactly. :rolleyes2 Although he does make up for it in the final battal. (Especially if you don't have the blood sword.)

I remember when I once tried to beat him without bloodswords. I got killed and it costed all my Phoenix Downs. And I still lost.

Fredde
02-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Yup. Oh, and by the way, the emperor isn't from hell.....not yet at least

He's not? Let's see... later on he returns from death, from hell itself, it seems. I don't think any regular sinner would be able to do that. The emperor must have "special connections", to say the least. It's not impossible for him to be a demon of some sort himself, probably very powerful seeing as how he even has Belzeebub (or, in the original, Satan) as one of his henchmen, not to mention all those other powerfull dudes. And he even gets his own hell-castle! If he isn't from hell to start with, he's got to have some pretty funky magic.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-17-2005, 03:53 PM
It's stated in the game that he sold his soul to the Devil.

JuandiegoMoogleLord
02-17-2005, 06:56 PM
About the Blood swords... I have heard about those but I have never seen them! Help me with that please! The Hell Emperor was indeed really nasty, I thought that it was suppossed to be that hard! Does it make it much easier? I kept on casting Flare and Ultima, while the others kept feeding ethers and life for everybody for a loooong time, praying him not to normal attack me. I would really like to play the game again, but this time I want those swords. Tell me please!

Fredde
02-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Well, I think one of 'em is hidden in Pauls secret stash, the one you get access to sometime after you've retaken Finn (or Phynn, depending on translation) I don't remember when, exactly. The rest of them, I dunno.

Flashback007
02-17-2005, 09:38 PM
He's not? Let's see... later on he returns from death, from hell itself, it seems. I don't think any regular sinner would be able to do that. The emperor must have "special connections", to say the least. It's not impossible for him to be a demon of some sort himself, probably very powerful seeing as how he even has Belzeebub (or, in the original, Satan) as one of his henchmen, not to mention all those other powerfull dudes. And he even gets his own hell-castle! If he isn't from hell to start with, he's got to have some pretty funky magic.

Yeah, that is what I mean. When you enter the Cyclone he isn't from Hell yet. But what exactly happened in Hell? Did he make a contract with Beezlebub or so?

JuandiegoMoogleLord
02-17-2005, 09:55 PM
Thanks for that, but I dont remember were Paul's secret stash is... kupo...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-17-2005, 10:23 PM
Talk to Paul immediately before taking off for the Whirlwind. He'll tell you how to get to his stuff. The other Blood Sword is under Castle Fynn, on the way to getting the White Mask, although it was taken out in the GBA version.

JuandiegoMoogleLord
02-18-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh, great!! guess what (SPOILER FOR SoR!!!! CAREFUL!!! KUPPPOOOO!!!) The whip emperor is also the Lord of Heavens (Arubboth)!!! You can become such a pimp just for selling your soul? Everybody should try it then! I want my Firion to sell his soul so I get a cool sprite and cool spells without needing to level up for hours!!! :mad:

DarkLadyNyara
02-18-2005, 03:13 PM
I remember when I once tried to beat him without bloodswords. I got killed and it costed all my Phoenix Downs. And I still lost.
Yeah, I tried that too. Phoenix Downs, Elixers, Ethers, Flare 10, Ultima 11, Cure 13, AND I STILL LOST!!! :mad: Few things are worse than withstanding all his magic attacks, while doing steady damage for ten turns, then getting nailed by that Life-Drain ability of his. For 5000 hp. And the target only has 1000 left. :mad2:

Oh, great!! guess what (SPOILER FOR SoR!!!! CAREFUL!!! KUPPPOOOO!!!) The whip emperor is also the Lord of Heavens (Arubboth)!!! You can become such a pimp just for selling your soul? Everybody should try it then! I want my Firion to sell his soul so I get a cool sprite and cool spells without needing to level up for hours!!!
Am I the only one who sees a problem with being Lord of Heaven and Hell? Talk about a conflict of interest... :confused:

JuandiegoMoogleLord
02-19-2005, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Yeah, I tried that too. Phoenix Downs, Elixers, Ethers, Flare 10, Ultima 11, Cure 13, AND I STILL LOST!!! Few things are worse than withstanding all his magic attacks, while doing steady damage for ten turns, then getting nailed by that Life-Drain ability of his. For 5000 hp. And the target only has 1000 left.

Ok, so the pimpy whimpy emperor is difficult, but I think that you might be exagerating! With all the things that you list it should be a cleat overkill! I beated this game with way less than that (my flare and ultima were both just lv. 9 and I never used ethers, elixirs or any items or blood sword. I do not state this for showing off, it is just a fact) It did take me three chances, but that was enough. What equippement do you have? Some things that I found useful to do were, for example, to have one of my characters only casting life for everybody at once every turn, even if everybody was alive (in case killed during that turn).

Fredde
02-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Yeah, that is what I mean. When you enter the Cyclone he isn't from Hell yet. But what exactly happened in Hell? Did he make a contract with Beezlebub or so?

Well, that's why I think he's from hell even before the whole resurrection thing. Maybe he was a big, powerfull demon (perhaps the Devil himself?) that came from hell, got killed and then resurrected from hell again.. And the only way to really stop him would be to take him on on in his own place (Pandemonium, wich is said to be a part of hell).

DarkLadyNyara
02-23-2005, 03:08 PM
With all the things that you list it should be a cleat overkill!
Should have been. Wasn't. Partly because Ultima sucks, partly because I got hit by his physical attack every other turn. :mad: I hate Life-Drain. I did beat the Emperor on SoR without the Blood Sword, and that form has alot more HP, so I know it can be done. (Though I was helped by the general lack of normal attacks.I got lucky. :D )

JuandiegoMoogleLord
02-25-2005, 09:35 PM
Should have been. Wasn't. Partly because Ultima sucks, partly because I got hit by his physical attack every other turn. :mad: I hate Life-Drain. I did beat the Emperor on SoR without the Blood Sword, and that form has alot more HP, so I know it can be done. (Though I was helped by the general lack of normal attacks.I got lucky. :D )

And I think that luck is a big part on winning. I mean, that stupid emperor would be impossible to beat if he would only attack normally with his nasty life drain. Its a good thing that he is so dumb. About Ultima being a piece of cr*p, check the thread called Ultimate Magic?

Masamuneˇ1600
02-25-2005, 10:02 PM
The difficulty level of fighting the Emperor (without Blood Swords) is largely statistical. If your stats are maxed out, he's obviously not that challenging. If the numbers are lacking, then he becomes more difficult.