PDA

View Full Version : MORTAL KOMBAT!

Crazy the Clown
02-16-2005, 12:38 AM
No game has sparked anger between parents and media more than Mortal Kombat. It's thanks to this game that the VRC (Videogames Rating Council) was born. That later gave way to the ESRB, (Entertainment Software Rating Board.) which is used to this very day. Fighting has never been bloodier than that series. Here's a look at its history.

Mortal Kombat-Blood and guts, galore. Pissed off parents. Joe Lieberman recruits Captain Kangaroo to lash out against the game. Good times.
Mortal Kombat II-Better than the first, with 12 playable characters and the introductions of Friendships and Babalities.
MK3-The proverbial, "jump the shark," game. It had more characters, but they had left out such fan favorites as Raiden, Scorpion, and Baraka. Also, the Run button was unimpressive.
Ultimate MK3-What Mortal Kombat 3 should've been.
Mortal Kombat Trilogy-The best of the 3 games.
Mortal Kombat Mythologies, Sub Zero-Failed attempt at making an RPG of the series.
Mortal Kombat 4-This is where business picks up. New characters, the introduction of weapons, and it's in 3D.
Special Forces-Another, "jump the shark," moment for the series.
Deadly Alliance-Redemption for Special Forces. It plays a lot like an RPG. Can't get too into detail, because I've yet to play this one.
Deception-The prequel/sequel to the series. If you have a week's vacation coming up, and you want to stay home, give it a whirl. You won't be sorry.

Erdrick Holmes
02-16-2005, 12:41 AM
Mortal Kombat didn't impress me. I think people only like it because you can violently kill somebody, such a boring, slow, and terrible fighter.

Shoden
02-16-2005, 12:45 AM
why couldnt all fighting games involve as much gore and entertainment as Mortal Kombat event he ovies pwned

Del Murder
02-16-2005, 01:34 AM
Get over here!

I liked MK. It's a nice simple fighting game. And fatalities rock.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-16-2005, 01:58 AM
It was a fad.

Lord Chainsaw
02-16-2005, 02:36 AM
Mortal Kombat may not be the most solid fighter out there, but it has one hell of a story.

MecaKane
02-16-2005, 02:44 AM
One hundred, no! One THOUSAND times better than Guilty Gear! And Steetfighter! :love: :love: :love:

kikimm
02-16-2005, 02:53 AM
Personally, I like MK. A lot. It's pretty addicting, especially for a fighting game. Probably because there's a lot that you can do BESIDES fight. So yeah, good games.

:D

Rostum
02-16-2005, 04:21 AM
Yeah they're cool games, I really don't like the 3D ones though, they suck.

Rase
02-16-2005, 04:45 AM
Very nice fighter with additional blood. Enough said. Oh, and some killer voices at the time. :D

"Get over here!"
"Finish Him"

Erdrick Holmes
02-16-2005, 05:11 AM
See, MK lacks the speed and stratagy that good fighters have, like King of Fighters or Guilty Gear. You can litterally do the same move ten times and win. None of the characters statistcs had any difference, they were just different fighters withe same same stats and different looks and moves. The game emphisizes on gore and not enough on fun fighting physics. Granted this game is simple but offers almost no challege, anybody with two braincells can play this game and be decent.

You can pull of moves only by pressing about two or three buttons, while in REAL fighting games you need timing, precision, and skill to do good in these games. Now if the MK series was done using the same fighting engine used by SNK or Capcom THEN the game would be good.

And the fatalities? Stupidest concept I ever heard of, you defeat your opponent in a contest of might, the lost gets his guts strewn about in the most rediculous ways possible.

The storyline and the characters however are not bad. Sub-Zero's really cool.

I'm for one am glad they didn't use the crappy fighting physics they used in MK1-4 in the newer MK games.

What I think might have made the games alot better is if the developers concentrated less on gore and gave the games more of a stratgic, and fast paced fighting engine like used in King of Fighters of Garou Mark of the Wolves and added super moves (Having a gauge at the bottom of the screen under your opponents life bar that fills up when your opponent takes or gives damage, and when it is full then he/she can do things with that bar's energy, like increase attack, defense, speed, and dextarity and also allow him/her to pull of a powerful special move that can do some major damage but consomes the bars energy. An exaple of this is used in Street Fighter 3 with Ryu doing Shinkuu-hadouken).

Quina
02-16-2005, 05:37 AM
I think MK is the fighting game for people who don't take fighting games seriously.

Erdrick Holmes
02-16-2005, 05:39 AM
I think MK is the fighting game for people who don't take fighting games seriously.

Good point

kalabora
02-16-2005, 05:58 AM
Can't wait for super unlockables on Deception to be released!

Rase
02-16-2005, 06:12 AM
anybody with two braincells can play this game and be decent.

*Waves* Wonder why people like me, who aren't hardcore fighting game players but enjoy bouts now and then, like it.
Don't get me wrong, I like games like the Street Fighter series, Soul series, and MArvel Vs. Capcom games, but sometimes I just wanna hit some buttons and do some damage and for this, there is Mortal Kombat.

What I think might have made the games alot better is if the developers concentrated less on gore and gave the games more of a stratgic, and fast paced fighting engine like used in King of Fighters of Garou Mark of the Wolves and added super moves (Having a gauge at the bottom of the screen under your opponents life bar that fills up when your opponent takes or gives damage, and when it is full then he/she can do things with that bar's energy, like increase attack, defense, speed, and dextarity and also allow him/her to pull of a powerful special move that can do some major damage but consomes the bars energy. An exaple of this is used in Street Fighter 3 with Ryu doing Shinkuu-hadouken).

But would it be Mortal Kombat then?

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
02-16-2005, 06:56 AM

nicely put...

and that would concern me anyways... :D

illuminated
02-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Mortal Kombat II-Better than the first, with 12 playable characters and the introductions of Friendships and Babalities.
I was 8 when I played this. Those were the good ol days :love:

eh...did i just prove Quina right then?

NM
02-16-2005, 10:59 AM
For me the MK game's were never up to much. The second one wasn't bad , but wasn't a patch on Street Fighter 2 Turbo. I find the MK game's to be very slow and clumsy mainly due to how moves are pulled off. Trying to tap in back, back, forward, punch takes forever compared to down, down forward, forward, punch. As the later all flows together in one continues motion.

The blood and gut's finishing moves never really interested me either. They usually required such a massive amount of key presses to perform and weren't really that impresive.

I'll take Street Fighter or King Of Fighters anyday over an MK game, but thats just my preference.

Pure Strife
02-16-2005, 11:50 AM
See, MK lacks the speed and stratagy that good fighters have, like King of Fighters or Guilty Gear. You can litterally do the same move ten times and win. None of the characters statistcs had any difference, they were just different fighters withe same same stats and different looks and moves. The game emphisizes on gore and not enough on fun fighting physics. Granted this game is simple but offers almost no challege, anybody with two braincells can play this game and be decent.

If I wanted strategy I' go play Command and Conquer. I don't know about you big fight fans, but when I pick up Tekken I'm not looking for some all consuming brain challenege to defeat the opponent, I just want to play as a cool character and smash some skulls. MK works great for this too, as not only are the characters damn cool (for the most part), the special moves are always highly entertaining. That's why I prefer it over SF for the most part.

You can pull of moves only by pressing about two or three buttons, while in REAL fighting games you need timing, precision, and skill to do good in these games. Now if the MK series was done using the same fighting engine used by SNK or Capcom THEN the game would be good.

See above. Timing? Precision? Skill? What are we, Jedis? And if it did have the same engine, it'd just be SF anyways and not everyone wants to play a guy in his pajamas using skill 24/7. Don't get me wrong, I like Street Fighter also.

And the fatalities? Stupidest concept I ever heard of, you defeat your opponent in a contest of might, the lost gets his guts strewn about in the most rediculous ways possible.

See, the fun with fatalities comes when you're playing with a mate, and you've just beaten him like a punching bag, and just to rub it in, you rip out his character's spine. It's a sort of "in your face" thing, that's always good.

The storyline and the characters however are not bad. Sub-Zero's really cool.

Amen. They do have their worse moments character wise though.

I'm for one am glad they didn't use the crappy fighting physics they used in MK1-4 in the newer MK games.

Meh.

If you want to play Street Figher, don't play Mortal Kombat is all I can say.

Craig
02-16-2005, 12:42 PM
The only Mortal Kombat I got onto was 2 for the SNES, but I prefered Street Fighter. I loved the part where you'd uppercut an enemy and some guy came on the screen and said "Whoopsie!"

Levian
02-16-2005, 01:55 PM
I really liked Mortal Kombat 2 when I was younger. Mileena is scary. I'M GONNA EAT YOU UP AND SPIT ALL OF YOUR BONES BACK UP!!!!!!!11

Dreddz
02-16-2005, 03:27 PM
Was good when it first came out. I remember me and my bro playing it till 3.00am just to see whos better. This was the one for megadrive. But now its had a large downfall dew to its massive gameplay change and has been focused on the gore and fatalities. I say they should focus on the gameplay in future games if there planning to continue the series.

Crazy the Clown
02-16-2005, 05:42 PM
It was a fad.
Maybe so, but it outlasted the mood ring by God knows how many years. And with Deception, it's still going strong.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-16-2005, 05:51 PM
The series hasn't been relevant since around 1996.

Strider
02-16-2005, 05:58 PM
I was going to say something like that.

MecaKane
02-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Why would anyone take fighting games seriously? All of life's problems are not solved by holding a tournament.

Psychotic
02-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Why would anyone take fighting games seriously? All of life's problems are not solved by holding a tournament.You should play Tekken. All of the characters heart's desires come true because they beat up an old man (thus winning the tournament).

Rye
02-19-2005, 09:42 PM
You should play Tekken. All of the characters heart's desires come true because they beat up an old man (thus winning the tournament).

An old man in a thong, no less.

Quina
02-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Why would anyone take fighting games seriously? All of life's problems are not solved by holding a tournament.
Sometimes I feel like I can never get past the Sweet 16 of life.

ZeZipster
02-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Why would anyone take fighting games seriously?

Why would anyone say the utmost stupidest http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gif just to spite Joel?

The obvious answer to both of these questions is because people don't have lives. Sure if you don't want a game that involves actual skill, as opposed to who can do super-ultimate-bloody-combo before their opponent, then MK may be better than Street Fighter or Guilty Gear.

Maxico
02-19-2005, 11:06 PM
An old man in a thong, no less.

Its not a thong, its a daiper... well its like a combination daiper-thong *shudders*