PDA

View Full Version : White Mage Challenge

DarkLadyNyara
02-16-2005, 06:51 PM
Has anyone tried a 4 white mage party for FF-1?

Black Mage FF1
02-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Yes many people have completed 4 white mages on every version of FF1. It is not really that hard. If you want a challenge do a solo thief no class change or a solo Black Mage No class change.

DJZen
02-17-2005, 01:35 AM
I thought solo monk no class change was the hardest.

§håd0w
02-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Solo Black Mage no class change is the hardest for the following reasons.

No healing spells, so you guzzle potions
Poor attack
Poor Defense
Poor HP (until lv. 90+)
Equipment selection is much smaller

Overall, they just that bad without the class change. For elemental spells do little later in the game, and status effects are obsolete after a while. Without Saber or Flare, they're useless.

Black Mage FF1
02-17-2005, 02:21 AM
I dont know about the Dos version but on the NES and Origins version the solo thief is much harder. Although the Bm has lower hp and attack, he still has magic spells to kill groups of enemies in 1 turn, unlike the thief. His defense is just as good as the thiefs at the end too.
Oh and the solo Black Belt isnt hard at all. It is actually one of the easiest solo games you can do.

Captain Maxx Power
02-17-2005, 11:23 AM
I thought solo monk no class change was the hardest.

Pray tell what exactly the difference is between a monk solo and a master solo game? :joey:

ljkkjlcm9
02-17-2005, 12:40 PM
Black belts (or monk for you DoS people) get better after class change when they become Masters, as do all classes. I believe their attributes grow at a different rate, so it's harder not having a class change.
And the hardest is a solo Thief, I hate the thief even in a group cause he does nothng special til class change, and with no class change, yeah he sucks. But I've done it, NES version.

THE JACKEL

Black Mage FF1
02-17-2005, 01:48 PM
Black belts (or monk for you DoS people) get better after class change when they become Masters, as do all classes. I believe their attributes grow at a different rate, so it's harder not having a class change.

How so? On the NES and Origins version the only difference between a Master and Black Belt was that the Black Belts got +4 Magic Defense while the Master only got +1.

ljkkjlcm9
02-17-2005, 03:24 PM
as I said, their attributes grow at a different rate...

THE JACKEL

desh
02-17-2005, 08:47 PM
as far as i know, in the NES version, there is no difference between a black belt (monk) and the master. ie, there is no affect from the class change on the black belt.

I have a question regarding solo games: how high a level do you go when you solo? Because pretty much every character gets pretty good at level 50 (max level for original NES and hard origins game). The end fight with Chaos can be tricky depending on which class you have, though. BTW, level 50 black belt is by far better than a lvl 50 Knight w/ regards to the final battle.

Black Mage FF1
02-17-2005, 09:44 PM
as I said, their attributes grow at a different rate...

THE JACKEL

Like how? Does anyone know the formula yet?

as far as i know, in the NES version, there is no difference between a black belt (monk) and the master. ie, there is no affect from the class change on the black belt.

I have a question regarding solo games: how high a level do you go when you solo? Because pretty much every character gets pretty good at level 50 (max level for original NES and hard origins game). The end fight with Chaos can be tricky depending on which class you have, though. BTW, level 50 black belt is by far better than a lvl 50 Knight w/ regards to the final battle.

There is a change. The BB gets +4 MD and the Master gets +1.

At even at level 50 and with max STR and 805 HP. It took me over 100 tries to beat the Temple of Fiends. Its not so much how hard the bosses are. Its surving/running from all of the regular fights.

desh
02-17-2005, 11:44 PM
There is a change. The BB gets +4 MD and the Master gets +1.

At even at level 50 and with max STR and 805 HP. It took me over 100 tries to beat the Temple of Fiends. Its not so much how hard the bosses are. Its surving/running from all of the regular fights.

What is your source of this change? I haven't hacked the ROM or checked first hand, but I've read in a couple of FAQs, including one from our own Dr. Unne, that there is no change.

Are you talking about a level 50 thief it took you over 100 tries to beat the Temple of Fiends?

Black Mage FF1
02-18-2005, 12:19 AM
What is your source of this change? I haven't hacked the ROM or checked first hand, but I've read in a couple of FAQs, including one from our own Dr. Unne, that there is no change.

Are you talking about a level 50 thief it took you over 100 tries to beat the Temple of Fiends?

*Sigh* Oh yes because Dr. Unnes site doesnt have it must mean it isnt true![/sarcasm]

Listen there are other players then Dr. Unne. Go to gamefaqs.com and check the FAQ for FF1 and then go to the one by Patbuns. He has all of the in depth info on FF1.

As for the solo thief question. Yes it did take me about 100 times. I could be exaggerating it.

desh
02-22-2005, 04:40 PM
*Sigh* Oh yes because Dr. Unnes site doesnt have it must mean it isnt true![/sarcasm]

Listen there are other players then Dr. Unne. Go to gamefaqs.com and check the FAQ for FF1 and then go to the one by Patbuns. He has all of the in depth info on FF1.

As for the solo thief question. Yes it did take me about 100 times. I could be exaggerating it.

I didn't say that Dr. Unne was the only one to say this about the Black Belt/Master. In fact the FAQ that you referred me, the one by Patbuns17 entitled "Character Lists", has this quote: "Oh and by the way there is absolutely no difference between the Black Belt and Grand Master except graphical."

Black Mage FF1
04-08-2005, 11:07 PM

I didn't say that Dr. Unne was the only one to say this about the Black Belt/Master. In fact the FAQ that you referred me, the one by Patbuns17 entitled "Character Lists", has this quote: "Oh and by the way there is absolutely no difference between the Black Belt and Grand Master except graphical."

Did you even check his whole FAQ on the BB? When he said that, he meant thats the only change you can see. Look into his FAQ over the BB stats and you will see his magic defense and how it changes. Oh and sorry for the late response by me. I guess I forgot about this topic.

Anyway here is what you missed from his FAQ

Black Belt:

(CLASS CHANGE ---[/!] Grand Master)

Base Statistics:

HP: 33
Str: 5
Agi: 5
Int: 5
Vit: 20
Luk: 5
Hit%: 5 + 3 Per Level
Magic Defense: 10 + 4 Per level

Grand Master:

(Black Belt<----- CLASS CHANGE)
(Mag. Def + 3 per level)

His FAQ hasnt been updated in awhile thats why it says + 3 right there instead of + 1. But a couple months back he found out that it was +1.

Fireblade13
04-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Do they still have that 4 times the experience in DOS? just wondering beause I read that exp. is split but if only 1 survives he racks it all in. Special knight training ahead.

§håd0w
04-19-2005, 11:00 PM
It's not split. Whatever Exp is awarded is given to all party members who are not KO'd or Petrified. Though the whole Exp. is completely out of wack along with the newly added MP system as opposed to stock spells. It makes the game remarkably easier, which is my only disappointment.

Fireblade13
04-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Ok they should have had an options spot where you can choose between them.

§håd0w
04-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Sorta like how Origins had an option for Normal and Easy mode?

Fireblade13
05-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Didn't play it but read the walkthrough. Solo Knight party is the easiest. or the RW. solo thief no wm is the hardest with the lack of offensive power until you getmagic items.

§håd0w
05-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Yeah, DoS has made Thief much better. Thief can actually do more than Warrior for a good 20 levels and before the class change.