PDA

View Full Version : Tactics or Tactics Advance

Wishwash
02-16-2005, 09:43 PM
I was wandering what is different about Tactics and Tactics Advance. Which one should I get?

BG-57
02-17-2005, 12:04 AM
Depends in which forum you ask. ;) Here the answer will be the original Final Fantasy Tactics.

To be honest I've never played FFTA, but I can vouch for the playability and replay value of Tactics. I got it when it first came out and I'm still playing it! :D

The durability of Tactics lies in several areas:

Job systems allows you to customize character classes. And instantantly change classes with no hassle. No other FF is so flexible.

Interesting characters. And enough of them that you can pick your favorite, but no so many that it's overwhelming.

Involving plot. I can't overstate that.

Great music.

Monsters that can be recruited, bred and poached.

Lot of hidden items and subquests.

Other games may be flashy and exciting, but this is the one I always go back to.

Clouded Sky
02-17-2005, 12:12 AM
I've played both, and I would have to say I enjoyed FFT better than FFTA. FFT has a much deeper and engrossing storyline, which is what I think is the cornerstone for a great game. FFTA just seems a little geared to a younger audience after playing FFT. They're both excellent, and FFTA has portability, but I would reccomend FFT over it any day of the week.

feioncastor
02-17-2005, 05:13 AM
FFT is way better. WAY better. More options, and still a lot more fun. Better story, better gameplay...

Jeez, you'll have to play through FFT so many times to get the story, but trust me, it never gets boring.

Feion

DocFrance
02-17-2005, 06:05 AM
If you're looking for an engrossing story and a tactical challenge, go with Tactics.

If you're looking for just plain-out addictive fun, go with Tactics Advance.

They're both great games in my eyes.

Yuffie514
02-17-2005, 04:35 PM
i like FFTA better :up: . true, FFT may be better because it's the original :) , but things worked my way in FFTA :cool: . besides, the Saga Frontier like graphics was always queer to me :monocle: .

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-17-2005, 04:54 PM
FFT, definitely. I far prefer Tactic's job system, and the Active Time system makes the word "Tactics" far more prevalent. In other words, Tactics requires players to think and plan more than Tactics Advance, which is what a tactical game is all about I should think.

Ultima Shadow
02-17-2005, 05:52 PM
I never played FFT since it never was released in europe (DAMN! :mad: )... but FFTA was awful for being an FF and not really worth buying... so I guess you should get FFT...

Despotus
02-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Definitely the original Tactics. There's a reason that it was rereleased as a Playstation's Greatist Hits! :cool:

turnitup5000db
02-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Heres about how it breaks down... I have omitted the things that are simmilar or the same from this list.

TACTICS
-Pros
Engrossing storyline, Huge class system including a very nice ability system-similar in some ways to FFV,Replay value up the wazoo EXCELENT AI, Slightly better graphics.

-Variables (Depends on what you like)
Some party memebers are never controlable
VERY CHALLENGING

-Cons
Not very portable
Not allowed to go on "missions" yourself
Some of the dialogue doesn't fit together perfectly
The way its set up the view isn't always conductive to good tactical decisions - usually not a problem but VERY rarely can cause frustration when you feel you can't see the whole picture.

FFTA
-Pros
Very Portable, addictive in some ways, good graphics for its system, good ability system similar to FFIX, battlefield is always easy to view, creative reinterpretation of the ff worldview

-Variaibles
Class system is divided by characters race, for example humans can't be dragoons, only bangaa can. Law system is... Controversial. Story starts a bit slow, but builds pace.

-Cons
AI is pretty stupid, capable of only very basic tactical manuvers. Some abilities make it easy to turn your characters into walking tanks, regardless of class or level, and though the law system cuts into this a little, for the most part gameplay can be a little too... easy. Square BLATANTLY plugs the final fantasy series in the opening lines, which kind of biased me against this game from the start, but hey, this is all my opinion anyway, so take it with a grain of salt.

Yuffie514
02-21-2005, 06:15 AM
i'm still with FFTA, but you really proved a good point between it and FFT. however, you forgot some cons i really disliked:

1. law system...oh, how stupid :rolleyes2 ! then again, it's tactical, since it makes the game more challenging when you can't use Fire but Ice magic over it :mad: . you really gotta use your head when you have to defeat an Ice Drake w/out using Fire spells :p
2. judges...gosh, i wish i could kill them :mad2:
3. defending turf...why can't i just dispatch units instead of going across Ivalice :mad: ?

DJZen
02-21-2005, 08:40 PM
They're just different games. Comparing FFTA to FFT is like comparing FFII to FFI. Sure, you can do it, but the games are so different that it's better to just play the games and decide how you feel about them individually. As far as which one to get, it depends what sort of game you want. FFT is a lot more story driven and has an ability system based on FFV, while FFTA is a lot more battle driven and has an ability system based on FFIX. In both games I got equally psyched about getting new jobs or job abilities but kind of intimidated by how many options you had. FFTA also has the law system, which makes things challenging at first, but when you get further into the game you can actually use it to your advantage to mess up the enemy. FFT is more complex when it comes to damage calculations. The zodiac affinity charts basically required me to constantly look at the manual for help. There's also the brave and faith stats which weren't used in FFTA.

Basically it all comes down to what sort of game you'd rather play.

Masamune·1600
03-01-2005, 04:44 AM
This is of course only an opinion, but FFT is so much better than FFTA (still a fun game) that language is not sufficient to describe or explain its superiority.

The message above mine makes an important point, though. Go with the style that you prefer.

Fireblade13
03-28-2005, 07:52 PM
FFTA is awesome I love tanking my units with unbelievable attacks and having support and reaction and a second A abilitie set rocks. Sorry if its similiar but I never played FFT and I like the cartoon graphics, over bit graphics it doesn't flow

RedCydranth
03-29-2005, 05:56 AM
They're both great games in my eyes.

Yup they are. FFT is better than FFTA story wise, but as far as fun they both get the job done.