PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to Xenosaga Ep II

Necronopticous
02-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Well, Episode 2 is out now and I've only been able to put about a solid 7 hours into the game so far but already it's everything I was expecting and more. Forget the reviews, I am in heaven, I have work tomorrow and I can't possibly describe how hard it was to turn it off just now. Well, I had better get to bed.

Anyone else playing? How are your reactions?

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-17-2005, 04:55 PM
I just got it and I don't think my Clear Data was properly saved on my memory card, so I'll probably have to murder Albedo before I start playing it. I should have a good response tonight, I hope.

Necronopticous
02-17-2005, 05:11 PM
The game has been a LOT of characterization so far which is great, all of the characters are amazingly developed, AHH I can't wait to get home and play, I'm at work now :(

Also, I would like to point out, Albedo keeps rising on my bad guy scale, if this keeps up he might take Kefka's place as my favorite villain.

The length and scope of the game makes it so amazing for developing excellent detailed to the point characters... I am in love.

The Captain
02-17-2005, 05:16 PM
I'm picking up my copy this afternoon, so hopefully by this weekend I'll be able to play it.

I am excited.

Take care all.

Ultima Shadow
02-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Argh... I HAVE TO GET A REMODE CARD SOON!!!!! :(

Why, oh why isn't it released in europe? :mad:

edczxcvbnm
02-17-2005, 08:10 PM
I am away on buisness and probably will not be able to pick up until tomarrow. I can't wait though. I wonder if they released a super bonuse stratguide like they did with MGS3 and FFX-2.

Destai
02-17-2005, 08:49 PM
It was too controversial so it wasnt released in Europe. FU,K!!!

Mirage
02-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Controversial how?

Necronopticous
02-17-2005, 10:35 PM
Religion, drugs, corruption, moral rights questioning, dismemberment, rape, revolt, etc.

Take your pick.

The games are named after and loosely based on the writings of Nietzsche, they are bound to be controversial.

Destai
02-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Controversial how?How should I know!? (sensitive subject :cry: )

Religion, drugs, corruption, moral rights questioning, dismemberment, rape, revolt, etc.I want this game.. :crying:

nik0tine
02-18-2005, 03:36 AM
For those of you in Europe who cannot buy this game, I ask you this: Why don't you buy the game online, and buy an NTSC adapter for your PS2? That would solve your problem, would it not?

The Captain
02-18-2005, 07:12 AM
I just finished the intro sequence and am very impressed. I'm intrigued by the introduction of this new character to the mix, though I was caught off guard by the change in chaos' voice. Still, a very minor point in the overall spectrum.

This game may well become my life for the next month or so, whenever I have time enough to play it.

Take care all.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-18-2005, 08:12 AM
The change in voice actors for many of the characters was surprising and a bit dissappointing, but really a minor note. The character of Jin is interesting, I enjoy the sibling interaction between him and Shion. I actually think chaos's new voice is the only one that is really fitting, I like how he sounds calm and composed. Fairly early in the game Jin comments that it seems like chaos is hundreds of years old. I've been thinking chaos is a higher being of some sort for quite awhile now so it seems like blatant forshadowing to me. Any thoughts?

The Captain
02-18-2005, 08:24 AM
I've been suspecting that for a while too, but I probably should play a bit more of the game before I attempt to give any definite answer. Still, your instincts often prove true, good sir.

Take care all.

Dreddz
02-18-2005, 02:42 PM
Xenosaga never came out in the UK. People in the UK never get all these games which really ticks me off. I feel so left out. I played the first one for a bit at my friends house who has got his PS2 chipped. I guess there good and ill probably get it if it finally decided to be released over here. In the mean time ive got quite a few RPGs to look forward to. Games i really want are......

Dark Cloud 3

Final Fantasy XII,XIII,XIV etc

I heard a strange but promising rumor saying that there will be an Alundra 3. I dought it though cause Alundra 2 apparantly was not very good yer it had a few changes but that promising story and gameplay kept people through it( i though it was fantastic) so they might ditch it but im still keeping my fingers and toes crossed

The Captain
02-19-2005, 02:01 AM
Wow, Jin seems like a mighty interesting character. His entrance is very entertaining, to say the least.

One problem I'm encountering is I keep forgetting who is on who's side and what all these organizations stand for, come from, and what the letters actually stand for.

Take care all.

Destai
02-19-2005, 03:16 AM
Whats the storyline roughly about?

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-19-2005, 06:46 AM
I really like Jin's character, especially his interactions with Shion. Some of the bickering just reminds me of myself and my own sister.

The basic Xenosaga storyline is that Shion Uzuki, an engineer with the organization Vector, is working to create an android KOS-MOS, a powerful weapon that should help obliterate an enemy known as the Gnosis. Gnosis are strange, alien creatures that seem to attack the humans without reason. They are generally semi-incorporeal and unaffected by conventional weaponry. If a Gnosis comes in contact with a human, the human usually turns white and shatters like ice, though those that survive this kind of contact eventually become Gnosis themselves. Anyways, the goal is to stop the Gnosis, but it gets MUCH more complex than that.

Havoc
02-19-2005, 05:50 PM
Just finished Episode II, and I'm very disappointed. Everything from the new VA's to the uninspired soundtrack really blows. May all the staff members at Monolithsoft have thier blood infected with AIDS.

Dreddz
02-19-2005, 08:21 PM
I wish that some games are only released in the UK so America knows how it feels to be left out!
Ive got a copy of ICO at my house and it is NTSC. Anyone know any ways i can play it. We had this problem with the old PSX . We had a copy of speed freaks and we found this trick to fool the PSX. My bro did it and its had sumin to do with reading the country code with a PAL game and swapping it with a NTSC. If done quickly enough the game is read as though it was a PAL.

edczxcvbnm
02-19-2005, 10:14 PM
You guys have Doshin the Giant and we don't. I really wanted that game.

darkchrono
02-19-2005, 10:24 PM
Man Havoc,
did you play practically nonstop during the past couple days? I don't really like doing that. I like playing it for only about an hour or two a day. I like having it last awhile.

Luc
02-19-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm still waiting for my copy of this game. I'm sooo stoked to play it..
Havoc didn't seem to happy about it, though. That's just his opinion I guess. I'm surprised somebody already beat it though, geez.

edczxcvbnm
02-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I am only a few hours in and I still am getting use to the new battle system. I don't really get how to stash away the whatevers with out wasting a whole turn.

Shadowdust
02-20-2005, 01:17 AM
Well at first it is just a waste. Once you start building up your Skills it becomes somewhat worth the wasted turn though. Some skills allow things such as 10% EP recovery when Stocking.

I am really enjoying the game. I was disappointed to be on the second disc after only eleven hours but was prepared for it. Other than length, the only other thing I can think of that could use some work is KOS-MOS's voice. It's far to gentle and innocent sounding. Perhaps even reflecting some emotion. I definitely prefer the previous voice actor for her voice.

Necronopticous
02-20-2005, 09:29 AM
KOS-MOS's voice. It's far to gentle and innocent sounding. Perhaps even reflecting some emotion. I definitely prefer the previous voice actor for her voice.Agreed, she is the only new voice I don't like as much as the old one, although she still has some awesome lines in this game, especially when she actually says "HP" after a battle, that made the geek in me very happy.

Anyway, about the length, it may seem like it's very short by the fact that you get to disc 2 quickly, but don't be so quick to judge, I think you'll find the game is not as short as everyone is making it out to be. I am quite satisfied with the length already and I still have more to go.

I also am taking time to do all of the GS sidequests because it's entertaining and I don't like the idea of rushing through the game like everyone who is complaining about the length did.

Anyway, people are also complaining about the music, I've got news for you. Just because a composer is not as famous as another composer does not mean his music sucks. I haven't been the least bit dissapointed in what I've heard so far, in fact I've quite liked the music.

I suspect I am very close to the conclusion of the game and I can say I am highly impressed, the story was top notch just as expected and a good deal of the scenes made me literally watch with my jaw dropped. The game was very well made and it's clear that not a day was wasted the last three years this game was in development. I truly cannot even begin to fathom the mindset of those who are so upset about this game, it is a very faithful and very complete installment to take us into episode 3.

2008, I can't wait!

Ultima Shadow
02-20-2005, 11:16 AM
For those of you in Europe who cannot buy this game, I ask you this: Why don't you buy the game online, and buy an NTSC adapter for your PS2? That would solve your problem, would it not?
NTSC adapter? By some reason I tought the name was "remode card". :p But, yea... whatever. I will buy one of those... it's just that I'm lacking in the matter of money at this very moment... :mad:

Dreddz
02-20-2005, 01:10 PM
I thought you had to get your PS2 chipped. With a Mod chip or sumin. Then theres the problem of the TV. The Tv will have to be able to handle the NTSC signals. Or the picture will be poor and black and white. Im pretty sure you can get new TVs now that will let you. But if you have a TV that cant handle NTSC signals then you can get a special adapter for your scart. I dunno what its called but look up in eBay NTSC adapter and there are loads. There about £10 or sumin like that.
But look at it this way. The Mod chip will cost you bout £80-90 and the adapter for £10. Thats about £100 just to play a few games. Is Xenosaga worth the money spent.

Shadowdust
02-20-2005, 07:17 PM
Right now I just barely beat Orgulla. Anyone else to that point yet? What were your levels by then? The reason I ask is because I was at level 28 but I've seen some movies where the characters are between 45 and 50. I think I'm going to have to start over to complete some GS sidequests. Even normal battles inside Ormus take too long right now.

I honestly don't know who beat this in 20 hours but based on where I am right now, I've spent 17 hours and I need to level up and acquire more skills. I just don't see how it could be completed in 20 hours.

darkchrono
02-21-2005, 05:54 AM
For those of you complaining about the story and how it seems like nothing happens.

Well if you just look at the back of the cover I think you should get your answer on why.

It says "sometimes to save the future you must uncover the past."

I am sure that the creators wanted people in this game to basically get to know the characters alot better. So they are exploring the characters past lives in order for you to get to know them.

I am sure alot more will happen in the present tense in Ep. 3. And when it does you will be alot more attached to the characters and the things that will happen to them will mean alot more to you.

When it is all said and done I think Ep. II will probably be one of the least loved of the series because nothing really exciting happens to further the story. But it is a necessary step in order for you to get attached to the characters so you enjoy the things to come all that much more.

I think the game creators know what they are doing for the series. And I think there are alot of great things to come in the xenosaga series.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-21-2005, 06:53 AM
If I recall correctly, the composer is Yuki Kajiura, who did the .Hack//Sign series. She's quite good, and I really enjoy her work, though I imagine sometimes her style might not exactly fit the Xenosaga series.

Necronopticous
02-21-2005, 10:24 AM
Ep. II will probably be one of the least loved of the series because nothing really exciting happens to further the story.Nothing exciting happens to further the story? I must have a different version of the game than you.

Oh yeah I beat the game 10 minutes ago, I am still in shock. This series / installment is genius on levels I never thought a non-Square game could reach.

darkchrono
02-21-2005, 02:27 PM
I hope you don't go visit any xeno site forum. Those fanboys are going insane over how awful this game is.

Saying how the series is ruined because the head guy is no longer creating the game and how it is an entirely new staff from the people who made Ep. 1 is.

So I was more or less getting my opinions about what people thought of this game from those sites not really this one.

Maybe somebody who isn't quite so much of a xeno freak but still likes the seies can give me a little more of a logical explanation to the whole ordeal over how monolith or namco is doing this series now. I think those guys may be playing on their emotions just a bit too much now to really give all that much of an accurate response.

Necronopticous
02-21-2005, 08:16 PM
I don't really care who is behind the scenes as long as the games still affect me like Episode 1 and 2 have, people that are saying how http://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifhttp://forums.eyesonff.com/images/smilies/rpg_009.gifty the game is because of that are looking too much into it, the game was clearly a great and faithful continuing to the first game and saying it wasn't just because of who is calling the shots is utter stupidity.

Wiegrahf42
02-22-2005, 03:52 AM
I haven't finished it yet but I must say I'm pretty dissapointed. The first one was very complicated, but they dumbed it down too much. The characters become copies of one another. The music is good in a few parts but mainly just techno. Most of the characters have recieved little development. The new characters barely have any. The character battles are quite boring, and The new mech battle system is worse. I hope episode III will improve this series which had so much potential. One good thing is they got rid of the super-deformed anime eyes.

edczxcvbnm
02-22-2005, 03:32 PM
I played a bit more and I see what people are talking about with the magic system thing...but I always fought it because people said it was a tree. Those people are morons. A tree branches off and this does not branch at all.

I am dissappointed so far because they did such a poor job of everything. The cutscenes so far have been horrible. The lack of music during them has made everything seem really ackward. The whole game so far has really reminded me of mega man legends. Maybe it is just me but the voices had horrible recordings for the most part. Maybe it is because I use mono sound but it just sounds like the person is 2 feet away from the mic. Did they use lower sound quality or what. It just sounds BAD from a recording standpoint.

Battle system I don't care for too much yet but I am only at the beginning of the of MOMO's dive. There is still a long way to go for me but the game has got to do a better job for me to come out netural.

Although unlike most I am enjoying the story so far.

Dreddz
02-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Was Xenosaga made by the same people as .Hack cause that game was rubbish. If there similer then I'd never be bothered to chip my PS2 to get it

ffrinoa8
02-24-2005, 03:59 PM
SEe i've put a good 25 or so hours into it yes its good and yes it fun but i just don't like the fact that they changed so many things in the game! it ridiculous! *tear drop**sniffle*i liked how it was......

edczxcvbnm
02-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Was Xenosaga made by the same people as .Hack cause that game was rubbish. If there similer then I'd never be bothered to chip my PS2 to get it

Wrong companies entirely. .hack was made by Cyber Connect 2 and Xenosaga was made by Monolithsoft(or something like that). CC2 works for bandai essentially just as Monolithsoft works for Namco.

Yuffie514
02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
despite XG's lack to impress me ;) , i love episode #1 of Xenosaga :cool: , but i never got to beat it since it belonged to my brother :( . however, i can start playing episode #2 any day now :D .

Necronopticous
02-24-2005, 05:20 PM
despite XG's lack to impress me ;) , i love episode #1 of Xenosaga.There's something you don't hear everyday.

i never got to beat it since it belonged to my brother :( . however, i can start playing episode #2 any day now :D .My advice would be to not even open #2 until you beat episode 1, the games flow together like one big game storywise and Xenosaga is _all_ about the story. If you don't finish the story in #1 I don't even see a purpose in playing #2.

Yuffie514
02-24-2005, 05:30 PM
does it really matter :mad: . the best ending i've seen is FF8 :D . no worries, i'm close to beating episode #1 :p .

The Captain
02-24-2005, 05:49 PM
I just finished the initial run through of Second Miltia, and during the Gear battle afterward, I thought I saw in the corner of my eye another Gear looming above that bore a certain resemblance to a villian from Xenogears. When the two fighting Gears suddenly lost power, I began to wonder, could this resemblance be a coincidence or perhaps somehow they are working parts of Xenogears into this epic...

Take care all.

ffrinoa8
02-24-2005, 05:54 PM
well its not out of the question tha you could have seen an old villan because the same people who made xenogears made xenosaga! :tongue:

Mirage
02-24-2005, 07:08 PM
An NTSC adapter just changed NTSC signals from your PS2 into PAL signals. It's just for shitty old TVs who can't understand both.
What stops me is modding my PS2. You have to buy a somewhat expensive modchip, and also pay for soldering it onto your PS2 mainboard. A rather delicate procedure, I wouldn't do it myself.

Religion, drugs, corruption, moral rights questioning, dismemberment, rape, revolt, etc.

Take your pick.

The games are named after and loosely based on the writings of Nietzsche, they are bound to be controversial.
What I meant was that I thought the US was supposed to be more sensitive when it came to stuff like that. :p

Dking'squeen
02-24-2005, 07:21 PM
I felt like i was watching a movie. Those cutscenes are like ten minutes a piece! I mean, at one point in the beginning, after you enter Moby Dick's, I went to get a comforter and popcorn. I almost fell asleep a few times. I just want them to stop and let me fight. And then some of the battles are rediculous...not in a bad way either, just t clear that up. But not in a good way, either...i don't know what to say about it, i guess. I just have to play more...

Necronopticous
02-24-2005, 11:25 PM
I felt like i was watching a movie. Those cutscenes are like ten minutes a piece! I mean, at one point in the beginning, after you enter Moby Dick's, I went to get a comforter and popcorn. I almost fell asleep a few times. I just want them to stop and let me fight. And then some of the battles are rediculous...not in a bad way either, just t clear that up. But not in a good way, either...i don't know what to say about it, i guess. I just have to play more...
This game is most likely not for you, you have to really be into the idea of long LONG story driven scenes because that's what the game is about. If you nearly fall asleep during 10 minute scenes you probably won't be able to handle the 30-45 minute scenes. I'm just surprised you played to episode 2 not enjoying the scene length because episode 1 was the same way. Wait... Did you play Episode 1? If not, Episode 2 will probably not be a very good game to you.

Ichimonji
02-27-2005, 03:39 AM
*Just a friendly warning that some content in my post may contain minor spoilers*

I'm around eleven hours into the game right now, and I'm in the Subconscious Domain, and I must say... it's pretty good so far. I believe I've done the G2 Campaign quests and got all the optional things I can for the time being, so I'm advancing the story. Anyway, here are my thoughts so far...

Pros

- Environmental/background graphics have really improved, along with the weather effects.
- Enemies look a lot nicer, and smoother. They upped the detail and movement in this one.
- (My opinion) Separating the character battles and Mech battles was a good idea. It's one less thing to worry about.
- I enjoy the new way to learn spells, skills, and whatnot. It's pretty massive.
- Most of the battle system is pretty cool. Especially the Double Techniques.
- I love the new menu design.
- The new G2 Sidequest is very fun and adds a lot to the gameplay.
- Speaking of gameplay, there's a lot more it seems. Not that I don't enjoy the lengthy cutscenes.
- The storyline is still very massive, complex, and keeps you on edge. Answers a lot of questions, and I'm sure it'll answer more.
- Switching out characters in battle is a nice touch.

Cons

- The character designs really suck in my opinion. MOMO doesn't look at all cute anymore, Allen looks retarded, and it seems like Shion is a totally new character. I dunno, I just don't like it. I'm slowly getting used to it though.
- Much like Harry Potter in the fifth book, Shion sucks. In this instalment, she seems very annoying and stupid.
- Some of the new voice actors don't belong. Shion's new voice actress seems to be trying too hard to be putting emphasis on her words, It seems forced. This adds more to the annoyance of her character. chaos' voice actor is Joshua Seth I believe, the dude who does Tai in the Digimon series. He's pretty good; I have no complaints about him for now. MOMO and KOS-MOS just don't sound right. The rest are pretty good.
- This isn't a very big con, because I like this combo system in battle... But it was better in Episode I.
- Still a little slow at the introduction of battles.

Heh, and I guess MOMO is to Xenosaga as Vivi is to FFIX. I found it funny when she was all depressed about being artificially created. Anyways, I'm going to enjoy more of the game... So overall it's pretty good. I like it.

Full Moon Coyote
03-02-2005, 04:48 PM
The only problem I had with the game is that the audio took a serious nose dive. The music sucks, some of the voices are just horrible (chaos), and some of the characters look ackward with the new graphical style. Not a bad game, but they just messed up in a few key compartments. And the game is very difficult so far.

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I just got to the second CD, the first CD was really short but I am enjoying it nonetheless. I must say though if the next one isn't coming out until 2008 it sure as hell better be a lot longer.

Necronopticous
03-02-2005, 10:09 PM
There is more content on disc 2 than disc 1.

Full Moon Coyote
03-03-2005, 04:37 PM
And what happened to that little encyclopedia thing from the first game? You know, where you could look up the terms and quotes in the game.

My name is...something..?
03-05-2005, 07:31 AM
I know! I was very disappointed that the encyclopeadia wasn't in this one, I got a lot of background info on the characters and the plot from the first one, so I was disappointed it wasn't in Ep.2..

...They should have kept KOS-MOS' original voice actor, I'm on the second disc and I still haven't gotten used to the new one...she just doesn't sound right anymore.

Necronopticous
03-05-2005, 07:37 AM
Well, it's not quite an encyclopedia, but if you go to the Second Miltia spaceport and look on the computers at the far right you can get something close...

Azure Chrysanthemum
03-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Just got beat down by that creepy, possibly dissassociative personality disorder church woman. Gotta level up or use a different party next time.

My name is...something..?
03-05-2005, 08:08 AM
Well, it's not quite an encyclopedia, but if you go to the Second Miltia spaceport and look on the computers at the far right you can get something close...

What do you mean it's close?

Necronopticous
03-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Just got beat down by that creepy, possibly dissassociative personality disorder church woman. Gotta level up or use a different party next time.She's awesome as well as extremely hard. My first time around I had a really difficult time with her and ended up using lots of items.

My suggestion is to:
Beat her into her second form and then swap in Ziggy and max his stock, create down effect and nail her with triple O with him~ Massive damage... Also I used KOS-MOS with Fire Sword status and that did pretty good damage too. The important thing is to keep up your HP more than usual since this crazy bitch can do some insane damage in her second form.

What do you mean it's close?Uh, it's got information.

FallenAngel411
03-06-2005, 03:55 AM
The battle system irks me a bit, the GS stuff isn't even necessary because once you level up enough no amount of double attacks will change the outcome of your battles, and the constant happy music gives me a mild headache.

That said, the story is amazing, the characters rock, and I LOVE how MOMO finally kicks some butt instead of being a nearly useless healing character. Also, the graphics are jaw-droppingly incredible.

Not exactly on par with the first Xeno, but still a really good game. You can tell its mostly setup for the rest of the series, which I don't mind at all. Its really cool finding out more about the charaters' backstories, motives, etc. So yeah....overall, its making me really excited about where the story will ultimately go. Can't wait for 3!! :)