PDA

View Full Version : Tax Returns

Clouded Sky
02-17-2005, 07:01 PM
I hope this goes here. This is my first year working and getting a return. I filed two different forms, one for state income tax, and one for federal income tax. Does this mean I'll be getting two seperate checks? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, what do YOU think of the system in place here? I really hate having money taken out of paychecks, but I think it'll be real nice when a *hopefully* large check arrives in my mailbox. Your thoughts?

Shlup
02-17-2005, 07:25 PM
I don't think you have to file two different forms. o.O I just use the... what is it? 1040EZ? I haven't done it in a few years. My mom's a CPA so she thinks doing my little tax form is fun. *shrug*

I don't like them taking money from my checks either. I guess its better than the blow of having to pay a big chunk of money every year though... I think I'd want to just keep my money and pay taxes once a year, but this time of year its nice to look forward to getting some money back than looking forward to writing a big check through my tears! Heh.

Samuraid
02-17-2005, 07:28 PM
What I hate: estimated taxes! (those quarterly payments) :D

Congress must have said "oh wow, we can take their money early and WE can get the insterest from it."

The system is far too complicated and convoluted. It should be renovated and simplified.

Levian
02-17-2005, 07:32 PM
...You have two different places to pay taxes too? :/ that sucks. In Norway, we pay taxes to the "federal" as you crazy americans call it, and then they transfer money to lower forms of states.

And what I think about the system... Well, it's a good system, I'd say. Otherwise we'd live in poverty anyway. But I must say, I don't like some of the things the state uses tax money to pay for. Like to pay for plane tickets and the stay of criminals that apply citizenship, multiple times. It's annoying, and it's a waste of money. I like money :cool:

edit:

I should be renovated and simplified.

*points and laughs* :D

Clouded Sky
02-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Whoops. I filed two different forms because I had to file on two seperate jobs. Silly me. I got a check today from my state, but will the federal government send me a check too? If they don't I'll be angry. I think I got all my state taxes back, so that would mean the only money I lost was to Medicare and Social Security. SO i guess I'm not helping society. I'm sure I'll figure this whole tax thing out when I understand what actually happens. Heh.

boris no no
02-17-2005, 07:38 PM
we only have to fill one form (i hope....) a p45
i should be getting all my tax back as i'm a student! :D
i hate it when i'm taxed though....i only earn £250 a month so when £25 is taxed it's quite alot...
but as i said i'll (hopefully) get it all back!

Samuraid
02-17-2005, 08:43 PM
edit:

I should be renovated and simplified.
*points and laughs* :D

Heh...I guess I should be more careful typing right after I wake up. :D

s/I/It/

Cid
02-17-2005, 08:56 PM
You have to do a state and federal form.

We owe this year :(

Dingo Jellybean
02-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I've received 4 tax return checks, from the state level they're only ~$100 for both of them. From the federal level, both of my checks were about $1300. So I got back around $2800 from taxes.

I only made like, $12000 my first year working and $12000 my 2nd year(both years I only worked 2/3s the year). I usually direct deposit it.

As for the system in place, I don't mind it. Because we're Americans, we're fat and lazy. So the gov't was smart enough to know that we wouldn't file that much money to taxes at the end of the year. It's easier if they take it out of the checks every week to be quite honest.

This year, I think I'll earn about $18000, and if things hold true...I should get a ~$3000 tax return check next Feb(my mother does my taxes VERY early).

DMKA
02-18-2005, 05:41 AM
I've never paid taxes, but let me say thank you to all you taxpayers...for without you I wouldn't have all my tuition paid, a fat wallet, and more money on it's way. :D

Lucky Charms
02-18-2005, 11:20 AM
Both of my parents are Accountants.. my father has been working for the City of LA for about 30 years now.

How does this relate to Tax Returns?
All I have to do is say "Daddy please do my Tax Return for me."

and POOF!

:p So easy. I'll worry about tax returns after college.

Shadowdust
02-18-2005, 08:15 PM
You have to do a state and federal form.

We owe this year :(

I have a feeling you mainly owe on state tax don't you? If so, it has to do with what you fill out on your W-4. When you claim married on your W-4, and both you and your spouse are working, the state will not take enough taxes out. The married status for state assumes that only one of the two are working.

I got lucky this year. I'm getting $550 back from federal and thanks to the renter's credit, I'm getting $190 back from the state.