PDA

View Full Version : Bugs Bunny gets a make-over

Agent Proto
02-18-2005, 01:21 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/proto3k2/loonatics.jpg

They’re bugging out: Rad makeovers for classic 'toons
By Sean L. McCarthy
Thursday, February 17, 2005

This fall, Bugs Bunny will become a lean, mean crime-fighting superhero.

Have our Looney Tunes taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque?

Warner Bros. announced yesterday it has reinvented the classic cartoon characters after almost seven decades, introducing them to a new generation of Saturday morning TV viewers as the ``Loonatics.''

Bugs, Daffy Duck, Tasmanian Devil, Coyote, Road Runner and Lola Bunny have been ``reimagined as futuristic heroes'' for the new show, set in the year 2772.

All six characters underwent extreme makeovers, featuring sleek lines and lots of black.

Their look is more snarky than cheerful. Let's just say the new Road Runner looks even more like a literal speed freak.

The WB has done this sort of thing before. Remember its ``Tiny Toons'' collaboration with Steven Spielberg in the 1990s (``They're tiny, they're toony, they're all a little looney'').

The WB also has remade Batman and Superman - both in toonland and in live-action movie remakes coming out this summer and next.

Ned Hinkle, creative director at the Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, has liked the new-look Batman but not the futuristic adventures of ``Duck Dodgers,'' which sent Daffy Duck and Marvin the Martian into the 24th century. ``I don't think that was very good,'' Hinkle said.

Others disagreed, since the Cartoon Network also announced yesterday it was ordering 13 new episodes of ``Duck Dodgers'' for 2005.

The classic Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies from the 1930s, '40s and '50s still show up every weekend on the Cartoon Network. The Brattle's 10th annual Bugs Bunny Film Festival, which begins tomorrow in Cambridge, shows old-school, pre-1960 Looney Tunes films each day through Feb. 27. No ``Space Jam'' on that marquee.

Hinkle said recent Looney Tunes efforts on TV and film have fallen flat because ``it seems as though the humor and creativity has been lost along the way.'' The new ``Loonatics'' series could ``work really well,'' he said, ``but then again, good Lord, it could be a huge disaster.''
http://theedge.bostonherald.com/tvNews/view.bg?articleid=68980

Kawaii Ryűkishi
02-18-2005, 01:26 AM
Ahahahahaha

Stupid reinvention.

GhandiOwnsYou
02-18-2005, 01:31 AM
seriously, I heard about that lst night. I've been organizing a boycott/protest/petition to stop this blasphemy from going down. it's like taking a dump on five generations of childhoods. *shakes head* when will they learn....

Doc Sark
02-18-2005, 02:13 AM
I don't see what is so bad about it. It's about time Loony Tunes updates their characters to fit in to the 21st century. Personally, I feel, that the existing characters were going stale. If it is successful then it will be seen as a gamble well worth taking, if not then oops, but isn't that the whole point of a gamble.

It would be naive to think that all the Loony Tunes characters could stay in their predefined moulds forever, they have been evolving the characters over time and despite this being a rather drastic step towards the radical, I hope it pays off.

Destai
02-18-2005, 02:36 AM
The four year olds who actually watch it wont care. W,B. isnt catering for you guys, Well Im guessing.

RSL
02-18-2005, 02:48 AM
Wow. I'm glad I don't watch cartoons anymore.

Phil
02-18-2005, 02:50 AM
Maybe its just me but do they look kinda posessed by satan?

Strider
02-18-2005, 04:24 AM
Oh, man...

fire_of_avalon
02-18-2005, 04:29 AM
Ahahahahaha

Stupid reinvention.
Yes.

Doesn't bother me, I'll just beat the children that watch it.

I mean, what?

GhandiOwnsYou
02-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Nah, it's not that i'm going after them for trying to conform to the times, but you do that with new shows and new characters. you don't do that by grabbing old standbys off the shelf and dragging them through a spandex vat to make "Extreme" new ones. Plus, Bugs doesn't need updating. he was modern before there was modern. think about it. He's rude, meanspirited, sarcastic, crossdresses on occasion to flirt with redneck hunters, he's violent, athletic, and generally one of the greatest wiseass's ever to be put on TV. In short, just about everything that the FCC wants to ban, lol.

I never make a fuss about new shows trodding about old characters, so long as those new shows fit the mold. new batman shows? maybe a bit darker, but it's still angry guy in a cape fighting crime. Tiny Toons? Yeah, i guess it was a "remake" of Looney Tunes, but it was the same theory. strange, wacked out comedy adventures. Duck Dodgers? Still an egotistical duck and a stuttering pig being themselves in a new forum. this is not looney tunes, and if they want this type of show they should have come up with new characters, not just grabbed the shelved ones to "modernize." Bugs is bugs and always will be bugs. he doesn't need to and shouldn't be used as "Buzz Bunny", the pissed of violent evil looking superpowered bugs on speed. (and they are "modernizing" the names to, though Buzz Bunny is the only one to be released yet)

I dunno, it seems like blasphemy of a classic character to me, and i imagine if you aren't as offended by this as i am, there is SOME character in some medium that would offend you to no end if they did something of this type to it. Tetsuo from Akira in a comedy, done up Ed Edd and Eddy style? Cloud as a baby teaching kids morale lessons. I dunno, i just hope you get where i'm coming form. this is shameless.

Rainecloud
02-18-2005, 07:13 AM
Where the hell is Count Duckula?

Doomgaze
02-18-2005, 07:30 AM
Maybe its just me but do they look kinda posessed by satan?
Hail Satan!

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Ahaha what the hell is this.

Miriel
02-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Oh noes...Bugs Bunny looks like Frank from Donnie Darko now. :(

fire_of_avalon
02-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Honestly, the thing that gets my goat most is the fact that Lola Bunny is involved. First off, Lola Bunny never existed as a Looney Toon. She was invented for the movie Space Jam (which is a movie, even as a child, I hated).

I hate Lola Bunny.

Psychotic
02-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Oh noes...Bugs Bunny looks like Frank from Donnie Darko now. :(But Frank was cool! ...although none of these horrible THINGS are cool. Yeah, they're obviously demonically possessed. Hopefully it'll be a massive flop and Warner Bros. will forget it ever happened.

Emily52
02-18-2005, 05:58 PM
I don't think that little kids will like them, somehow. :lol:

Endless
02-18-2005, 07:19 PM
If you could wire Chuck Jones to a dynamo, I'm sure you could power up New York right now.

GhandiOwnsYou
02-18-2005, 07:30 PM
fo real. forget turning over in his grave, i'm picturing him hopping out of his casket through six feet of dirt and dancing a la the famed WB frog. tophat and cane and all.

And 'oly crap, olut of respect for Psychotics statement i will, for 24 hours, not post a ridiculous insulting Anti-BAoTW graphic on the Ace party thread. The enemy of my enemy if my friend Psychotic. Temporarily.

Cz
02-19-2005, 10:21 AM
A huge part of me died when I saw that image.

Rye
02-19-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm SO dissapointed...

Emily52
02-19-2005, 04:02 PM
I wonder if Bugs will still say "What's up doc?"
Is that what he said? I can't remember.

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-19-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm sure he'll still say it, he'll just be very angry when he does.

Martyr
02-19-2005, 06:36 PM
http://www.nuklearpower.com/

Unfortunately, that's a plug for Nuklearpower. However, Brian, there, as much as we have differed in views in the past, has written up a strikingly decent response to this. And one, amazingly enough, that I agree with.

So read the first post there on the front page by Brian about this Loonatics thing. The other posts pertain to the comic, which I read, and which isn't too bad, but which I don't want the credit for alerting you to. Because I'm not a plugger. I swear I'm not.

Agent Proto
02-19-2005, 11:09 PM
:( I am officially disappointed.

http://www.aintitcool.com/downloads/LoonaticsPreview.mov

Silmaril
02-19-2005, 11:17 PM
I think WB is trying to drop the cute image of looney toons for a more hellish image.

They all look deranged.

Sepho
02-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Giving the Looney Toons a make-over for the next generation isn't a bad idea, but they don't look anything like the original toons (with the exception of Daffy). Moreover, Bugs Bunny, whose name is most synonomous with the Loony Toons title, has experienced the most dramatic change.

Why, oh why, are they all black and evil looking. Bugs has a smily, likable face. Now he looks devious. I don't know what else can be said about it.

To sum it up,

Redesign = Potentially good
Redesign to the point where the characters fail to have any resemblence to their former iterations, and have become seperate entities: Bad.

Azure Chrysanthemum
02-20-2005, 12:03 AM
I wish they'd have just made a new series instead of anally violating the original Loony Toons.

Strider
02-20-2005, 12:16 AM
I'm sure he'll still say it, he'll just be very angry when he does.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/striderx284/doc.jpg

Optium
02-20-2005, 12:19 AM
But Behold, I thought you were a fan of anal violation.

Tihi. :love:

.opt

ZeZipster
02-20-2005, 12:54 AM
Okay.. I've got alot of questions but of the most importance...

Why is Bug Bunny yellow? I mean wtf, YELLOW? He was never YELLOW. Yellow isn't even a super-hero color.

Miriel
02-20-2005, 08:35 AM
:( I am officially disappointed.

http://www.aintitcool.com/downloads/LoonaticsPreview.mov

Uhhgg, Looney Toons on crack. :rolleyes2

Sander Schwartz is an idiot. Did these executives learn nothing from the failure of "Itchy, Scratchy & Poochy" on the Simpsons?

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-20-2005, 04:45 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/striderx284/doc.jpg
I want to marry you.

Shoden
02-20-2005, 05:27 PM
i reckon this is gonna be a big flop

Destai
02-20-2005, 07:28 PM
When I was *insert targeted age* I far preffered super heroes to normal Looney tunes.

Shoden
02-20-2005, 07:43 PM
yeah but kids who have already seen Looney toons will probably not like this

Destai
02-20-2005, 07:46 PM
I dont see why not.

Shoden
02-20-2005, 08:06 PM
if kids know what gay is than thisll put them off cartoons seriously they ried continuing Marvel cartoons but alot of them were big flops the thing is that this is very likely to be a flop this is going to put kids onto anime and resulting in even worse dubs like no kissing or complexed language no violene or blood ir even pain thats what this looks like a type of show thatll lead 8 year olds onto Teenage anime

ZeZipster
02-20-2005, 08:21 PM
if kids know what gay is than thisll put them off cartoons seriously they ried continuing Marvel cartoons but alot of them were big flops the thing is that this is very likely to be a flop this is going to put kids onto anime and resulting in even worse dubs like no kissing or complexed language no violene or blood ir even pain thats what this looks like a type of show thatll lead 8 year olds onto Teenage anime
It's called a period.

StarlightAngel
02-20-2005, 08:22 PM
I always prefered humor to superheroes. But then, that's just me. :D

Shoden
02-20-2005, 08:33 PM
well i like the idea of kids cartoons that way tv cos wont release such crappy and gay dubbed versions of great anime eg Yugioh

Destai
02-20-2005, 09:13 PM
Shoden: blahblahsomethingthatdidntmakesensetomeblahblahWhat?

Shoden
02-20-2005, 09:24 PM
I said

well i like the idea of kids cartoons that way tv cos wont release such crappy and gay dubbed versions of great anime eg Yugioh

wtf does it look like you fricken blind or something?

Destai
02-20-2005, 09:27 PM
. , ' ;
Great little tools to use in any sentence. I read it and thought you were saying something about gay awareness encouraging censcorship. My mistake.

Shoden
02-20-2005, 09:34 PM
i'm saying when Kids turn to anime they make gay friggin dubs!!!!!! sheez you dyslexic or something

Doomgaze
02-20-2005, 09:36 PM
a) Stop calling things gay. We know you're a repressed homosexual and all, but you don't need to take it out on the world.
b) Stop calling Yu-Gi-Oh "great." That's just offensive.
c) *openly weeps for the children*
d) When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?

Destai
02-20-2005, 09:36 PM
i'm saying when Kids turn to anime they make gay friggin dubs!!!!!! sheez you dyslexic or somethingYes :cry:

Shoden
02-20-2005, 09:37 PM
right am i the only one horrified here

i said.. ah fuck it im going offline see ya next week dyslexic schizos

Destai
02-20-2005, 09:39 PM
only kidding, Tool :greenie:

Yamaneko
02-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Cut the crap out, guys. Get back on topic or I'll close the thread.