PDA

View Full Version : Ska/Punk

la monk
02-18-2005, 08:20 PM
hey im just wondering if anyone likes the same music as me. Millencolin Bad Religion and streetlight manifesto. stuff like that.

radyk05
02-18-2005, 09:17 PM
punk is great when everything else fails. i love the ramones and other bands. bad religion is good, too. as for ska, i LOOOOVE ska. the aquabats, catch 22 and a lot of latin american ska bands are just great.

Dingo Jellybean
02-18-2005, 09:21 PM
The only punk I like is Green Day..though they're probably half alternative too.

I'm not into punk that much, mainly because it's too loud at times...but Green Day strikes a chord with me.

la monk
02-18-2005, 10:47 PM
punk is great when everything else fails. i love the ramones and other bands. bad religion is good, too. as for ska, i LOOOOVE ska. the aquabats, catch 22 and a lot of latin american ska bands are just great.
could i get the names of some latin american ska. id like to hear it.

Rye
02-18-2005, 10:56 PM
I dunno about Punk, but Ska is extremely underrated. My friend's brother is in a Ska band and they're really good and I bought their CD. Ska has just such a fun vibe that a lot of other genres are missing.

fire_of_avalon
02-18-2005, 11:02 PM
I like usually like smart political punk like Bad Religion, but I don't really say no to anything.

And do you know who used to be a GREAT ska band? No Doubt. Seriously, before the Tragic Kingdom LP, that's pretty much all the did. Now...

Well, let's not talk about now.

boris no no
02-18-2005, 11:04 PM
never really been into ska or punk....i like early green day...thats about it.
my friends at school were totally into punk but me being my outcast self i listened to pantera and such like.

TheAbominatrix
02-18-2005, 11:18 PM
I adore punk rock; The Adicts, Narcoleptic Youth, Anti-Nowhere League, Lower Class Brats, Naked Aggression, The Buzzcocks... I could rant all day about it.

Ska is good too, but I'm not as into it as I used to be. Offhand I can think of Five Iron Frenzy, The Insyderz, The OC Supertones, Skankin Pickles, and of course; The Aquabats. Come to think of it, the ska I like best is Christian ska. There's so many good Christian ska bands, but not many good Christian punk bands. Huh. Never noticed that before.

As for the bands name here; No Doubt's early stuff was gold, I cant stand them now. Green Day as well, though I will admit American Idiot sticks in my head. Bad Religion is good, their new song (at least I think it's new) is great. Millencolin is okay, I've found most of their songs tend to sound the same to me.

Rye
02-18-2005, 11:35 PM
Green Day is good, but they are horribly overplayed. I can't go 5 minutes in the car without hearing Boulevard of Broken Dreams. :/

radyk05
02-19-2005, 12:34 AM
could i get the names of some latin american ska. id like to hear it.

sure.
los fabulosos cadillacs
-download anything

desorden publico
-download anything, specially politicos paraliticos and esto es ska

la mosca tse tse
-anything

king chango
-obsesion, latin ska

skapulario
-anything

inspector
-ska boobi voobie baby

there you go. fabulosos and mosca aren't 100% ska but theres lots of percution and wind instruments. they're about 11 members each. the same goes to king chango. come to think about it... download anything from all the bands

krissy
02-19-2005, 01:58 AM
RX BANDITS

eestlinc
02-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Reel Big Fish used to be awesome. I don't know if they are now or not.

TheAbominatrix
02-19-2005, 02:12 AM
Oooh I forgot the Rx Bandits. I saw them a long time ago, with The Hippos.

Reel Big Fish were good a while ago, now not so much...

Mr. Graves
02-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Hey, the Bosstones were good. "The Guns And The Young" was one of my favorite songs growing up. My bro would play it <i>constantly</i>.

I like 311, too. Ska is good, I just don't have the time to check out a lot of Ska groups.

GhandiOwnsYou
02-19-2005, 03:26 AM
I'm a far bigger fan of old school punk than i am of any new stuff (read as: anything played on the radio.) I know it's cliche, but it's gotten SOOOOOO Poppy. but then again, i'd probably be shot for saying I'm only just on the good side of the fence on The Clash. I love london calling and a number of songs on the Album, but as a whole, it's a bit to ska flavored for my taste. Gimme some fast dirty stuff. Ramones, Dead Kennedys, The Devotchka's, etc. Sex Pistols were good when they were dirty and ragged. (and yeah, for the underground purists, I follow a lot of lesser known stuff more than those listed above, and local bands, but it kinda defeats the purpose of defining the STYLE i'm in to to name 50 bands two people on this forum have ever listened to)

Dr.K
02-19-2005, 10:57 AM
RX BANDITS
Hells yep.

Not heavily into punk/ska, but do love the Bosstones, Bad Religion, Reel Big Fish, early GreenDay, Ramones, NoFX.

Cz
02-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I did used to be quite a punk fan, but after a couple of years it became a bit repetitive and I moved on. A lot of it is still worth listening to, but there are other genres that interest me more now.

la monk
02-19-2005, 01:38 PM
its cool to see so many people like it here. at my school me and two of my friends are the only people who like it.(or even heard of it)
"it" is ska by the way

Dingo Jellybean
02-20-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm more into Green Day's Modern stuff like 1039 SSH and American Idiot albums are nice. I bought Dookie, Nimrod, and Insomniac and they're okay.

But GD is the only punk that I really like. Punk generally doesn't need much musical talent. The songs are 2-3 minutes long and if you can play 3 chords, you can start a punk band.

But modern punk is more pop punk now. Pop as in popular, not pop as in Jesse McCartney and Savage Garden. But eh.

la monk
02-20-2005, 03:40 PM
punk is not more pop now. youre just talking junky pop-punk bands like simple plan and good charlette. they suck. must people have never heard of real punk.

radyk05
02-20-2005, 05:33 PM
The songs are 2-3 minutes long and if you can play 3 chords
oh, i forgot! search for dos minutos too!

ZeZipster
02-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Nirvana.

la monk
02-20-2005, 08:40 PM
whatever lets just all be friends.

The Prophet
02-20-2005, 10:13 PM
I see a lot of good punk bands (I like some), but I don't see one very good group that seems to be an underground favorite and that is Rise Against. They have a great sound and I recommend it to anyone. They own!

la monk
02-20-2005, 10:30 PM
yeah i'll agree that rise against is good.