PDA

View Full Version : And the NHL Season is Cancelled...

Kirobaito
02-18-2005, 09:28 PM
...and the fact that it took this long for somebody to make a thread about it really says something. :)

Can't say I'm too surprised. From what I've heard, Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux are working behind the scenes, still working on a season, but their attempts will probably be in vain.

I was listening to The Dan Patrick Show on ESPN Radio today, and the people filling in talked about exactly what needed to happen to hockey. First of all, they said, the NHL needs to make hockey more exciting. They need to attract people to the game again. Here are some ideas for how they can improve the league:

- <b>Change to Olympic-sized rinks, giving players more room to operate</b>
- <b>Eliminate the center-line, opening up passes</b>
- <b>Eliminate the trap defenses, therefore giving athletic players more chances to make plays</b>

So what are you opinions on the season being cancelled, and what do you think needs to be done in order for hockey to be a good sport again?

Zell's Fists of Fury
02-19-2005, 04:40 AM
More leniant on fights.

eestlinc
02-19-2005, 04:41 AM
more like baseball

Erdrick Holmes
02-19-2005, 05:10 AM
What, no more hockey?

Dingo Jellybean
02-19-2005, 05:34 AM
Strider made a thread about this a few months ago.

But this was inevitable. The only way hockey can be more exciting is if they have larger rinks, like you said, with larger nets. It's much more exciting to see a game go 14-20 than 1-0. But that would change the game too much to call it hockey...but it did work for the NBA(which, during the 90's, was the highest rated sports league).

The Captain
02-19-2005, 06:07 AM
According to ESPN, a deal was reached a few hours ago that will "un-cancel" the season. Details are apparently going to be available later on Saturday.

Take care all.

Quina
02-19-2005, 06:10 AM
Leaves us more time for lacrosse.

Dingo Jellybean
02-19-2005, 06:20 AM
According to ESPN, a deal was reached a few hours ago that will "un-cancel" the season. Details are apparently going to be available later on Saturday.

Take care all.

I honestly hope it won't go through. The NHL is going to give us some half-baked product by having a 25 game schedule? It's ridiculous. This is even worst than that 50-game NBA season 6 years ago. Unless this is the NFL, how can you possibly have a season with 25 games per team?

The season should have started when it was suppose to. They had all summer. Seriously, I feel sorry for NBC who signed a deal with the NHL. I always respected NBC for their committment to sports, but the NHL shouldn't be one of them.

The Captain
02-19-2005, 06:25 AM
On point with what you said Dingo, some speculate that this agreement was reached partially because there were rumors ESPN was looking for ways to void their deal with the NHL in the coming years if there was no hockey.

We shall see. The NHL and NHLPA are both denying the reports, but part of that might have to do with neither of the heads of these groups being involved in this agreement.

Take care all.

Dingo Jellybean
02-19-2005, 06:30 AM
On point with what you said Dingo, some speculate that this agreement was reached partially because there were rumors ESPN was looking for ways to void their deal with the NHL in the coming years if there was no hockey.

We shall see. The NHL and NHLPA are both denying the reports, but part of that might have to do with neither of the heads of these groups being involved in this agreement.

Take care all.

Yeah, I read about the rumors, but the real people who are hurt are the security guards and janitors and concession workers. Both sides are denying reports, but that's just to stir things up I guess. The NHL being down gives minor leagues and AHL a chance, which I prefer since small leagues should get exposure, like how NBC gives the Arena League some attention.