PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Surgery

Destai
02-19-2005, 12:19 AM
Whats your opinion of it?
Sorry if this threads already up. Personally I think its totally fine if its just making people feel better about themselves. I think the only people who seriously think its wrong to change who you are are already happy with themselves and dont have much consideration for the person considering it if thats the most they can say.

Craig
02-19-2005, 12:24 AM
Ditto.

boris no no
02-19-2005, 12:28 AM
i will have lipo (can't spell) if i could afford it.
nothing else....maybe a boob job....

botox is sick though.

Nod
02-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Plastic Surgery is fine, as long as its actually what is needed. If there is some underlying psychological issue that is causing a person to be unhappy with their body then it should be addressed first.
:)

Jojee
02-19-2005, 12:33 AM
I wouldn't really change anything about myself like that, but... that may be because I'm more afraid of surgery than not looking perfect. ;)

Anyway, I suppose liposuction/all those other surgical procedures aren't really any different from the more socially accepted things, like... dentistry.

If surgery were painless and no side effects, I would do something with my teeth/jaq >=\ My upper row of teeth are a bit bigger than normal and I have a slight underbite. You don't notice it unless you're really close, but... it bothers me sometimes. ^^ Also I wouldn't mind having laser surgery for the eye, as contacts are such a bother and glasses aren't the most pretty things all the time. ^_^ Um but like I said, I'm a wimp, so I won't.

kikimm
02-19-2005, 12:35 AM
I think it's a complete waste, unless certain circumstances are present. Like these celebrities---they don't need it. They're actors, most of them, they need to be able to move their face around, they need to look human. The plastic surgery doesn't help. Some of them are starting to look very..unhuman.

But otherwise---I'm compltely against it, unless the person who wants it has been in n accident, or one of their features is really, seriously hurting their self esteem. No vain teenagers, please.

:D

Fuzakeru
02-19-2005, 01:17 AM
If I could I'd have a boob job done quickly cause I am currently the vice president of the itty bitty . . . bleh, you all know what I'm talking about. :)

Then I'd have my hips magically thinner cause I'm tired of 'child bearin' hips'.

But I will never have these things done because I don't have neither the money nor the pain tolerance to go through such surgeries.

Rye
02-19-2005, 01:24 AM
Sometimes, when I feel upset with my body I wish I could get plastic surgery-ish stuff done, but when I'm thinking logically I remember the pain, the money and having the possible risk of being hurt isn't worth it.

Sepho
02-19-2005, 02:03 AM
Whats your opinion of it?
Sorry if this threads already up. Personally I think its totally fine if its just making people feel better about themselves. I think the only people who seriously think its wrong to change who you are are already happy with themselves and dont have much consideration for the person considering it if thats the most they can say.

I agree with what you say about plastic surgery and having it done if it results in happiness for the person. In fact, I said much of the same things in a similar thread that was posted a while back in EoEE.

It wouldn't be so bad if modern society didn't weigh aeshetic appeal so heavily, but they do; it's not likely to change, though, and that's just unfortunate.

Sometimes, when I feel upset with my body I wish I could get plastic surgery-ish stuff done, but when I'm thinking logically I remember the pain, the money and having the possible risk of being hurt isn't worth it.

But you're gorgeous, anyway, so it really isn't something you should be worrying about. Then again, it's naive to think that not everyone has insecurities, even the most beautiful people.

Aside from being very expensive, plastic surgery definitely has its risks, and I don't think those who have a few small insecurities should consider it. But, bottom line, if people make the decision to take the risks, and are willing to spend the money, there's no real valid reason I can think of for denying them that privilege. I don't know how there can be a standard applied to who can have plastic surgery. That's not to say that I think it to be a good thing when wealthy people have regular plastic surgery to amend every little detail they find infavorable about their appearance, but they're free to make that choice for themselves. I think it's more understandable when, say, someone who was born with a physical defect wishes to undergo surgery so as to raise their self esteem and in turn, make them happy.

Quina
02-19-2005, 02:11 AM
It's no different than makeup, really.

kikimm
02-19-2005, 02:16 AM

Permanent makeup that has the potential to kill you, yes. :)

:D

Quina
02-19-2005, 02:17 AM
Tell that to the animals they test it on.

Shlup
02-19-2005, 02:44 AM
I'm all for cosmetic surgeries, for the most part. I am not for any form of implants, though, 'cause that just seems... gross.

GhandiOwnsYou
02-19-2005, 02:46 AM
I don't want to sound critical, but Plastic Surgery, as it's used now, is a freaking epidemic. It's one of the most horrifying trends i've ever seen, especially to people with attitudes like the ones i'm hearing ("It's okay if it's just to make the person feel better about themselves") The problem is, any time someone isn't happy with their own body to the degree that they would go under the knife, it's not going to stop after one procedure. because now that THAT has been nipped or tucked, something else gets noticed that could use a we bit of work.... and people keep going and going til you end up with Michael Jackson quality folk walking around, looking more fake than a 12 year old's photoshop creation. it makes me sad really. If you want to look better, find clothes that suit you, go work out a good deal, and get some self esteem. nothing physical will ever make a person more beautiful than some self esteem. unfortunately, thats the problem now, the people who look "good" get their ego boosted constantly by people, making them more confident and more beautiful. people that don't have any ego, look worse for it, and get no reinforcement, making them less confident and less "pretty".

that said, i'd never have surgery done, even though i could probably use it in a few areas (mainly my chin. i have no chin, lol.) but like i said, that can be fixed. i work out, find clothes that work for me (not trendy clothes, clothes that work for me) and walk around with a good attitude.

Destai
02-19-2005, 02:52 AM
In fact, I said much of the same things in a similar thread that was posted a while back in EoEE.I dont think you're suggesting it but thats definitely coincidental.
I'm all for cosmetic surgeries, for the most part. I am not for any form of implants, though, 'cause that just seems... gross.It was just on the news how British scientists or whoever the researchers were how instead of breast implants they plan to inject something to prompt the stem cells to grow further. This will be the body producing itself so implants wont be needed or rejected and Tumors wont go unnoticed.

Mindflare
02-19-2005, 03:08 AM
I loathe makeup. It makes no sense to me. I don't see how society accepts it as something so common when I really get to thinking about it.

Anyway...

I don't agree with cosmetic plastic surgery, either. Under normal circumstances, at least. In cases of physical injuries and such, it's awesome. Way to go, modern medicine in those cases.

So few people are really happy with themselves these days. But you should be.

fire_of_avalon
02-19-2005, 03:18 AM
I don't care what people do, but I'm not going to respect it and nothing can make me. :)

My hips are big, and no matter how much I weigh they always will be. So will my breasts, and my eyes and my nose. People are different. Deal with your differences.

And I do NOT think stem cell research should go towards breast implants whatsoever. If those implants will help detect cancerous tumors, I'm sure modern medicine can find a way for stem cells to detect cancer WITHOUT implants.

Dingo Jellybean
02-19-2005, 06:25 AM
I'm all for cosmetic surgeries, for the most part. I am not for any form of implants, though, 'cause that just seems... gross.

Almost all cosmetic surgery will have implants, even rhinoplasty and facelifts.

Like everyone said, I don't really care. Whether your boobs are nature made or man-made, they're still squeezable and fun to play with.

Beauty, believe it or not, may actually be linked to our genes. Netscape's home page mentioned something about babies staring longer on more attractive faces and cuddling them and such, babies that are just weeks old.

Not everyone is born with good looks and such, so if they have the money, let them do what they want with it. The "pain" that people talk about lasts for a few days, but the psychological pain will be gone for at least 10 years. So that physical pain for a few days is probably worth it for some.

Dr.K
02-19-2005, 10:44 AM
If someone has an attribute that is negatively impacting their quality of life to such an extent that they cannot mentally function adequately (or pretty much), then I'd be for surgery definitely. For social reasons alone however, I don't think it's a good thing to do. We're all organisms just like the rest of the living things on the planet, we're not supposed to be created visually perfect.

Megami
02-19-2005, 10:52 PM
I think we should be happy about the way we are. What does it matter anyway?
There are so many other important things that you can't change.

But who am I to judge ? If they feel they can be happy changing something in their body, if they think that's their way to be happy...then let them be!

T-MaN
02-23-2005, 03:54 AM
Personally i hate plastic surgery, i mean c'mon, if u do get it, u would probably hav like 300 guys staring at "it" and wanting u only cuz' u got da surgery. I feel nearly da same way 'bout make-up too. I know gurlz feel good after da surgery, and especially when they are popular with da guys, but they are getting attention the wrong way and it kind of makes u look like a slut.What really matters is the inside and never the outside.( If i have offended anyone, i apologize for it,but this is the way i feel)