PDA

View Full Version : NBA All-Star Weekend

Luc
02-19-2005, 10:35 PM
Anyone watching the games? I missed the game yesterday. It was Rookie v Soph I think. The Slam Dunk Contest is going to be tonight, but I'm not sure if I'll see that one either.

What I really want to see is the All-Star Game. I'm most likely going to see that one, and I always enjoy watching this.

What about you guys? Are you going to watch any games?

The Captain
02-20-2005, 03:10 AM
I've been watching it in passing all night. Phoenix is domianting right now.

Take care all.

Kirobaito
02-20-2005, 03:34 AM
I don't like the NBA All-Star weekend, really. The most exciting thing so far has been the Celebrity Exhibition game. Tom Tolbert has a thing for Roger Lodge. :p

Go NHL All-Star Weekend?

The Captain
02-20-2005, 03:43 AM
Steve Nash is my hero. His passes to Amare were the highlight of my night, even though Josh Smith was impressive in victory.

Take care all.

Del Murder
02-20-2005, 03:54 AM
I like the Saturday events much more than the game itself. That dunk over Kenyon Martin was awesome, and Steve Nash is showing why he is the best. He's even getting assists in the dunk competition.

The Captain
02-20-2005, 04:00 AM
What also helps is that Kenny Smith, Charles Barkley, Ernie Johnson, Magic Johnson and Kevin Harlan are very good, entertaining commentators.

Take care all.

Del Murder
02-20-2005, 04:01 AM
Yeah I love the Chuckster.

The Captain
02-20-2005, 04:03 AM
He's got a new book coming out with Mike Wilbon in a couple of months, but I digress.

Take care all.

Kirobaito
02-20-2005, 04:57 AM
Charles Barkley is the worst commentator ever. :)

Del Murder
02-20-2005, 05:02 AM
The above post reaffirms my faith in society.

Kirobaito
02-20-2005, 05:17 AM
It would help if he actually watched the sport he's supposed to be commentating. For example...

For poetic justice, Barkley said earlier this week that Dirk Nowitzki makes no impact on a game unless he scores.

The next game that the Mavs play for his channel, Dirk only scores 16 points (on 5-of-15 shooting), but grabs 16 rebounds, dishes out 4 assists and blocks 3 shots.

He's a freaking dumbarse, and I hate hearing his grammatically incorrect voice all the time.

Del Murder
02-20-2005, 05:21 AM
Haha, dis the Mavs and become KB's enemy for life. :D I think he's entertaining, which is all that matters to me.

Kirobaito
02-20-2005, 05:25 AM
Well, he hates Dirk for one reason:

When Barkley played for Phoenix in 1996, and Donny Nelson (current Mavs GM in all practical purposes) was an assistant coach, Barkley went over to Europe to scout players for a random reason. He saw Dirk and loved him to death. Dirk told Barkley that he would be going to Auburn in the US. Barkley came back and told Donny Nelson how great Dirk would be. The rest is history, and because Dirk didn't go to Barkley's alma mater, he chooses to criticize Dirk in every aspect of everything.

He's always hated the Mavs, even when they beat the Suns shorthanded, he said, "The Mavs should take nothing from this. All this does is show how overrated Phoenix is." We can't catch a break.

And yes, dis the Mavs and become my enemy for life. See: Dingo Jellybean.

Dingo Jellybean
02-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah, the Mavs suck.

But, the dunk contest was weak IMO. I still like the Jrich contest in 2003, where he did that sick between the legs with the left hand to win it...but the best dunk contest was the one Vince Carter won. The 360 Windmill will be immortalized, the one Josh Smith did didn't have the radius that Vince Carter had on his windmill...plus it wasn't a full 360.

I'm disappointed with the dunk contest, why should I see someone do a Windmill? Everyone in the NBA can do a windmill.

Pheesh
02-21-2005, 12:33 AM
no way. michael jordan runs from the halfway line!! jumps from the....WAIT A SECOND IS THAT THE FREE THROW LINE!?!? I THINK IT IS!!! HE'S FLOATING!! AND YES!!!! HE DUNKS IT FROM THE FREETHROW LINE!!!!! go jordan, go jordan, it's your birthday!....and the vince carter elbow in the ring was pretty cool.

peace out and :rock:
EE

Masamune·1600
03-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Well, this post is a little after the fact, but I guess it doesn't matter.

I only saw dunk contest highlights because I was at the Dear Friends FF concert when it took place. Even though I saw the dunks that mattered on SportsCenter, I missed seeing Chris Andersen miss the same dunk eight times. Which, needless to say, would have been hilarious.

Smith only got the 50 on the windmill because he put on the Dominique Wilkins jersey before throwing it down. Wilkins won with a similar windmill back in 1990.

Come on. The elbow hang was Vince's third-best dunk in the 2000 contest.

The best dunk contest had to be Jordan over Wilkins in 1988. The ultimate showdown.

And, sadly, I missed much of the actual All-Star game.

Kirobaito
03-15-2005, 05:50 AM
I still don't understand how Chris Andersen managed to get into the freaking contest in the first place.

Dingo Jellybean
03-15-2005, 07:20 AM
I still don't understand how Chris Andersen managed to get into the freaking contest in the first place.

Come on, you know the NBA needs a white guy to show the NBA isn't racist in the dunk contest. :tongue:

My favorite all time dunk is Vince Carter's 360 Windmill. JR Smith's version was weaker, despite being taller than Vince. The dunk contest was pretty drab IYAM, I mean JRich wasn't in it and neither was VC. But eh.

The Windmill isn't so spectacular anymore. I mean who can't do a windmill? I only like the windmill when it comes in the middle of an alleyoop or off the backboard like VC use to do so often.